How about a fishing character (not Wurt)

I so, I might be the only one thinking this, but I would absolutely love a character that's solely based around fishing and sailing. Example being that they turn sails faster, boats themselves are faster, they have fishing nets that can catch all fish in an area, etc.

I wanna talk about fishing nets, for the character I would absolutely love it if they could use fishing nets to capture all fish silhouettes instantly, but fish don't respond for like...Let's say four days. That seems fair. You get up to 7 fish instantly and you can combine them with ice to make meat balls to keep you satisfied. Maybe that's broken, I dunno. What do you all think?

So you want to do enough quests for Pearl she eventually likes you enough she becomes playable? Sounds perfectly logical considering

DS had TWO Unlockable extra characters from doing X in-game task- Wes and Maxwell.

Reign of Giants had ONE extra playable character unlocked by doing X in-game task Webber.

DS Shipwrecked had TWO additional unlockable characters by doing X in-game task Wilbur & Woodlegs

DS Hamlet had ONE additional unlockable character from doing X In-game task Wilba

DST has NO extra unlockable characters from doing X In-game task.. Yet ;) 

But I’m hoping we get Charlie.. and maybe Pearl she’s a cute crabby hermit fisher lady 

3 hours ago, B1G13L said:

what if giving Pearl the cracked pearl would make her "join your cause" or something and become playable?

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST has NO extra unlockable characters from doing X In-game task.. Yet ;) 

Interesting concept! A character that can't be picked in the starting selection screen, but that can only be swapped to via portal after certain quests have been made.

It would have to be a quite powerful and fun character though, at least Wortox level. I mean going through all that trouble just to unlock a mediocre new char wouldn't make sense.

I'd say I'm up for a character that starts with a sea fishing rod + personal lure + personal bait. 

It'd probably be another character with dietary restrictions like 'eats only fish' which would be a little lame, but whatever. I never played SW so I'm not looking for a fishing net or sea fish farms, but I wouldn't say no to their addition. What I'd like is a slight 10% movement speed bonus when the character is walking along the shoreline.

Other perks that come to mind:

• +3-5 sanity per fish caught.
  • Can craft the thing to make fish spawn in water.
  • Starts with access to the Seafaring tab 
  • Slowly loses sanity when far from water source (pond/sea side/sea)

These are just ideas I'm tossing out and not intended to be taken as an entire character design concept.

A character who has a net that can instantly fish at the cost of disabling fish spawning would in practice be the opposite of a fishing character. While their ability is related to fishing, it's about skipping fishing and then turning fish off so you never actually fish.

While a fishing or ocean character could be a fun idea I don't think there's nearly enough content on the ocean to justify it. But if there were a fishing character perhaps they could craft some weird item that's a sea fishing rod with a small tackle box inventory. Wouldn't really be that good but would be very convenient for people who like fishing. No dropping the real tackle box on the floor and opening it, no inventory slot for it, just one slot for your fishing rod that also doubles as a tackle box. Of course it wouldn't have nearly the size of a real tackle box, maybe like 6 slots.

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

A character who has a net that can instantly fish at the cost of disabling fish spawning would in practice be the opposite of a fishing character. While their ability is related to fishing, it's about skipping fishing and then turning fish off so you never actually fish.

While a fishing or ocean character could be a fun idea I don't think there's nearly enough content on the ocean to justify it. But if there were a fishing character perhaps they could craft some weird item that's a sea fishing rod with a small tackle box inventory. Wouldn't really be that good but would be very convenient for people who like fishing. No dropping the real tackle box on the floor and opening it, no inventory slot for it, just one slot for your fishing rod that also doubles as a tackle box. Of course it wouldn't have nearly the size of a real tackle box, maybe like 6 slots.

The issue with ocean exploration is that resources are extremely sparse and spaced far apart. You can run from point A to point B and end up with twigs, grass, seeds, berries, carrots, flint and other useful stuff. People that sail from point X to point Y end up with a message in a bottle and resources that just sink into the water when mined.

If Klei comes out with a fishing/sailing character, they better include enough ocean resources to make the trips worth it. The ocean has no rocks, no gold and you get more kelp on dry land (Lunar) than you do in the water. If they added something like tumbleweeds called 'floating debris' that you could farm and get materials from that would be a step in the right direction. They can even replace grass and twigs with boards and rope or allow for a decent chance to get refined resources. Make the rocks fall on the boat when you mine them. Give me something back for my effort.

Other things that should come with this character:

• Increased sea resources (fishing areas, more kelp clumped together and more kelp in general, that floating debris suggestion, etc). In short, don't make paddling/sailing around a big waste of time compared to running on land.
  • More hints to locate resources like Salt and Sea Weeds. You already do this for Pearl's Island and the ocean is filled with a whole lot of nothing, so give us more messages in a bottle that reveal ocean resource locations. Seasoning Salt barely does anything. Let Warly have his Seasoning Salt so he at least has two 'meh' seasonings early to mid game. That extra 20 healing from the two pierogi he's gonna salt ain't gonna break the damn game.
  • Give us options to reinforce/strengthen the boat or let us build a better boat. One that doesn't spring a leak every time I tap some sand. If you designed boat stats in DST purely for the Crab King fight then please rethink your design choices. :ambivalence:
  • Boat Harpoon. I'm not asking for cannons and cannon balls. Boat Harpoon. C'mon.

26 minutes ago, Mok0 said:

Just bring woodlegs over already

Finding treasure on Lunar/Pearl's Island or just small treasure islands (maybe with some resources that spawn on them too) at sea would be great. Having his own boat is great too. They can probably change the ship cannons and replace blowing fish up with them to something else. An armored boat would certainly be great.

1 minute ago, ryvrdrgn14 said:

Finding treasure on Lunar/Pearl's Island or just small treasure islands (maybe with some resources that spawn on them too) at sea would be great. Having his own boat is great too. They can probably change the ship cannons and replace blowing fish up with them to something else. An armored boat would certainly be great.

you can already find treasres just off of pearl's island. that is what the wee bottles are for

4 minutes ago, gaymime said:

you can already find treasres just off of pearl's island. that is what the wee bottles are for

I was thinking of something more accessible from the start without having to grind for the quests to get the Pinchin Winch. Also the best item in the sunken chest is a Thulcite Suit.The X Marks The Spot loot table looks more appealing. Also since Woodlegs' treasures spawn on land, it can co-exist with the sea versions.

On 11/4/2020 at 8:46 AM, Cheggf said:

Apologies, I should have specified that first portion a little bit more clearly. But, you do have an extremely good point about it just skipping fishing. He should absolutely have more benefits from actually fishing instead of netting. Someone suggested that they should gain sanity from catching something with a rod. Which would be cool, another person suggested that they would have a chance to catch trinkets as well. My original goal for the net is to make it as an emergency tool, yes it sounds awful just disabling a spot completely for about 4 or less days in order to have 5 to 6 fish instantly. It'd only be used in deeper waters, much more deeper waters where large fish meat lies. Using in near the shore wouldn't be "beneficial." That's what I imagine what the character would say, but I also suggested the ability that sailing would be easier as well, faster turning speeds, maybe just a ever so slight speed boost when they are at the sail. Just to make sailing more bearable for people who dislike it, personally I love it, but I can understand why people dislike it. 

A much better idea we could probably agree on is fish traps, like bunny traps, you can lay them out in the in deep water or shores, then when any aquatic creature swims by you capture it. It's like fish farms in SW.

That's the first part I wanted to clarify. You do bring up a real good point about how it wouldn't work out yet since there isn't too activity in the water for this character to strive well, I'd figure it'd be an idea to throw out to the community, a character that likes to sail and fish. Maybe even use fish for more things than surf'n'turf or trading eels haha. 

Archived