GoH Steam Market prices are getting out of control ($2000 Wilson?!)

expensivescientist.png.308c891fa2a012159e8c449447c809fa.png

Look at this. Look at this. You could pay a month's rent with this in my neighborhood. No sane person would spend that much on a DST skin unless they've got more money than sense, and if someone bought it from you at that price, what would you even do with all that Steam wallet money? You can't take it out of your Steam wallet, so what would you do, use it to pay for all your video-game-related purchases until 2028?

I'd say this killed the market for GoH Wilson skins if I believed those were actually all the GoH Wilsons that people were willing to sell, but I think someone's hoarding Wilson heads so they can set whatever price they want when they resell them. They were $50 last week, but $500 will seem like a bargain to people who saw it when it was $1928.

.graph_of_expensiveness.thumb.png.219077d85b121b35d3ca4dd52ff877dc.png

I don't know why GoH skins don't seem to drop anymore, but this would be an excellent time to return them to the drop pool, release weaveable versions of the rest of the set so that players who didn't snatch them up in 2017 can at least use the cosmetics, or make sure that their drop code isn't bugged.

Oh I saw this today and it seems to be solely from 2 listings, the second one which is approx. SGD 2000 (USD 1470.63). It's still bad though, since the usual prices are at least 35+ bucks, so it looks to me like a few people are purposely jacking up the prices just for this headskin -_-).

jsyk.thumb.png.f94bcb27193a26edfac18af62f9b6128.png

14 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

They will be weaveable, when the character's rework arrives. Just be patient.

I already have the skin because an acquaintance who didn't play Wilson gave it to me in 2016 when it was worth about five bucks. My point isn't "I wish I could use this skin", it's "Other people should be able to use this skin without waiting years for it or paying hundreds of dollars." Wilson's likely to be one of the last characters to get refreshed, too, and there are six other DST characters awaiting refreshes and six Shipwrecked/Hamlet characters who could potentially get the Warly treatment.

1 minute ago, Owlrus said:

Gracious that's a lot, where is that? That could pay 4 months rent in the apartments near where I live.

Vancouver, BC. It's an expensive city, although to be fair I was thinking of high-rises close to downtown and an unglamorous suburban low-rise could plausibly be half to two-thirds of that.

This happens with some expensive skins every now and then, just give them some time and it'll get back to normal (I mean, if we can call 40 dollars for a single skin normal). I saw several skins, mostly GoH ones and the chicken one, raising to thousands, then dropping in prise.

Steam market shenanigans. 

3 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

This happens with some expensive skins every now and then, just give them some time and it'll get back to normal (I mean, if we can call 40 dollars for a single skin normal). I saw several skins, mostly GoH ones and the chicken one, raising to thousands, then dropping in prise.

Steam market shenanigans. 

If we look at the skin trend graphs for DST, they tend to fluctuate a lot. Like there are some skins who used to cost less than 10 bucks on the market, but now are among the most expensive skins. It's possibly a supply and demand thing, but then again players like the above can mess with the trends easily.

1 minute ago, Marco BR said:

here in Brazil it is the price of a car :spidercowers:

20201026_064827.jpg

pfff you make me laugh! Who'd want a car, if they could instead have an in-game cosmetic Wilson head, that barely even looks different from the original. Seriously though, GoH is one of the worst skins, it just gives the hair an extra curl and make him grumpy, that's all.

4 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

Look at this. Look at this.

I'm looking at the price, and all I'm seeing is someone offloading their rare skin into the market to stop random public-inventory-passers-by from asking if they would trade it. Nothing to see here.

Now, why are there only 2 for sale, and what the current drop rates are "supposed" to be, and if that's what's actually happening, that's a relevant question. Are Klei more competent than Microsoft? Well, I hope so... :???:

I do see nothing in this topic, besides an [...] complaining about the fact that nobody is willing to sell their GoH Wilson skin for less than $60.

Those 2 who sell their skins for $1,900 actually don't want to sell their skin at all, but they're still trying to catch a fool who is willing to pay a high amount of money for an useless skin.

Here’s a thought- it could actually be someone at Klei pricing these skins at ridiculous unrealistic prices knowing no one is ever going to actually be able to afford them, (and if they even tried they wouldn’t be able to) as a direct hint at who is getting reworked next- and therefore whose GoH skin sets would become less valuable.

Of course- this is only some very clever silent marketing strategy “I” Would do if I I worked at Klei, why??? Because it’s funny as heck, and it fits the charming personality Klei’s staff has with their fanbase :) lol

While in THIS particular case I do not believe that to be what is happening here, but I have seen developers so called “accidentally” leak something or put ridiculous prices on certain things as a silent but impactful way of promoting their product or an upcoming sale.

Archived