Why i think reworked Woodie is more balanced than we thought at first

As for other little known cons:

• Using the transformations also have a high risk of getting killed while you transform. 
Spoiler

That second you are disabled transforming makes you entirely vulnerable to terrorbeaks, hence terrorbeaks and starvation are my main cause of death (the game kills you with starvation if you receive enough damage when you turn to human form, as it probably gives you the final 1-4 damage you need to die)

• The werebeaver is both an advantage and a con, as it is the weakest form against threats and you need to be super mindful of the environment at all times (you are too slow to escape, and too weak to fight)
  • Unless you use a mod that tells you about full moons, I don't think anyone is 100% fail proof to avoid turning by mistake. I know how to calculate it perfectly and I use them to my advantage about 98% of the times. That extra 2% are usually times when I'm focused on another demanding task, and I get randomly turned mid nowhere. You always need to have food and healing on you as woodie, no matter your skill level.
  • Lucy's permanent talk and whining is a con on itself as well. 

He also has many hidden advantages which make him "the best" given certain situations, but you have to play things the "Woodie way" and not as any other character would.

Spoiler

His AOE when used correctly against many enemies at the same time, means that you are dealing an insane amount of DPS in an area, you just have to know where, when and how to use it right. The best uses of this are probably spider queens, frog rains, shadow phase splumonkeys, and treeguards.

His charge is also amazing to take aggro off your allies, for example during hound waves, worms waves, or krampii attacks during klaus. You are tanky enough to take a few hits for the team, giving them more time to deal with enemies one at a time. In the meantime you can keep enemies entertained by charging through them.

Besides Wortox, he also pairs pretty well with reworked Wigfrid, since her leeching songs of health and sanity activate per hit, and he can run through literally 20 or more enemies at the same time, meaning that he can potentially be healing 20+ on both hp and sanity per charge use. Even though it may sound like something rare, I've learned to clump many enemies together, and find myself using this often (treeguards, spiders, spider queens, hounds, frogs, depthworms, splumonkeys, nightmare creatures, clockworks, etc) so a Wigfrid nearby is a huge buff.

The Goose is not only useful to find the lunar island fast, it can also be used as a mobility perk both on the upper server and underground, and your perk lets you be the designated "summoner" of the team once lazy deserters have been placed around the map (Walter has a much better mobility perk, but in the absence of a Walter, or in need to cross water gaps, Woodie is the second best thing)

5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Unless you use a mod that tells you about full moons, I don't think anyone is 100% fail proof to avoid turning by mistake. I know how to calculate it perfectly and I use them to my advantage about 98% of the times. That extra 2% are usually times when I'm focused on another demanding task, and I get randomly turned mid nowhere. You always need to have food and healing on you as woodie, no matter your skill level

i use moon dial so everytime i see the day count be near of a number ended in 1 i check the dial to know if it will be full or new moon to plan ahead (80% of the full moons i spend the night in my cave base near the surface base)

but yeah, 1 time you forget and you might be in a big trouble

the issue most people see with woodie is that if you play with him normally, the only downside you will have is a minimal one in every full moon. all of his downsides are tied to his transformation perk, which isnt bad but its kind of awkward; both his upsides and his downsides happen at once when you transform

On 10/26/2020 at 12:14 AM, Lbphero said:

The weses you ban from your servers could possibly be the most experienced and most valubale assets to your teams....with wes more than anything it is about what the player accomplishes with their character much more than anything the player has by default. A wendy or wickerbottom has the full capability to just sit around all day and do nothing useful while a wes is capable of defeating the fuelweaver singlehandedly.

hes probably better off without players that pick a character just to show how experienced they are, let alone with a player that purposefully picks a character that consumes more resources and gives nothing in return

hes a nice meme and a different character for single player and private servers but in public servers wes is a red flag most of the time

15 minutes ago, Datanon said:

the issue most people see with woodie is that if you play with him normally, the only downside you will have is a minimal one in every full moon. all of his downsides are tied to his transformation perk, which isnt bad but its kind of awkward; both his upsides and his downsides happen at once when you transform

hes probably better off without players that pick a character just to show how experienced they are, let alone with a player that purposefully picks a character that consumes more resources and gives nothing in return

hes a nice meme and a different character for single player and private servers but in public servers wes is a red flag most of the time

I mean to be very fair here, public server DST is very very different from private DST in general.

But that being said, I don't think myself that Wes is as big of a hinderance as most people think, since a good Wes could provide for himself and then some on top of that like Mahskie said.
I'm speaking from experience here since I used to play as Wes myself and with some others as well.

46 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

I don't really understand why some people didn't like his rework when it came out, and some still don't. I love the idea of a jack of all trades character, and he fits it really well. He is pretty balanced imo. Agreed.

yep. I live for jack-of-all-trades characters. Love em. It really is quite interesting though:

Over time, Maxwell and Woodie changed roles as they went over to DST from DS. In DS, woodie was a wood gatherer, and Maxwell, was weird, but pretty much a jack-of-all-trades guy. In DST, Maxwell is the wood gatherer, and Woodie is the jack-of-all-trades man

On 11/4/2020 at 2:47 AM, DaZoul said:

In DST, Maxwell is the wood gatherer, and Woodie is the jack-of-all-trades man

Yeah, Maxwell has not been rework, but I think Klei is gonna turn him into a wizard, dark wizard.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:18 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

Lucy's permanent talk and whining is a con on itself as well. 

I could never understand why people can't just turn their volume down with lucy.

On 11/29/2020 at 4:45 AM, TheTruth said:

Yeah, Maxwell has not been rework, but I think Klei is gonna turn him into a wizard, dark wizard.

I could never understand why people can't just turn their volume down with lucy.

but the best part of playing woodie is having a toxic relationship with an axe

I am amazed at Woodies pure tanking ability to be honest . I have taken down Spider queens , Moose goose , Deerclops and Bearger all without needing healing during the fight as Weremoose. He tanks better then anyone imo , especially if you have jellybeans or a partner heal you.

Fun character and good rework.

5 minutes ago, themightyone said:

I am amazed at Woodies pure tanking ability to be honest . I have taken down Spider queens , Moose goose , Deerclops and Bearger all without needing healing during the fight as Weremoose. He tanks better then anyone imo , especially if you have jellybeans or a partner heal you.

Fun character and good rework.

cleaning the ruins with him is just a pleasure

I started new world with friends and picked Woodie.

I did use his transformations before but now I wanted to make a full advantage of them:

• At first few days I goosed around to uncover the continent faster
  • When setting up base at the forest I essentialy chopped the entire thing down. I still do as it regrows. We still plant our own tightly packed forest but I never even came chopping it down. Giants take care of it
  • Found lunar islands with one quick goose run
  • With some stone fruits, honey and leafy meat I made a bunch of jelly salads and beefy greens and then commenced a goose marathon to uncover entire caves. Almost died as I lost transformation at wilds and had a horde of angry monkeys and shadows chasing me. Jellybeans saved me.
  • I prepared some healing and even more jelly salads and entered the ruins with a friend. I charged at clockworks as moose, no manures given. Almost died cause I had half hp when transforming and forgot to eat jellybeans.
  • I commenced another goose marathon: sea edition. Found crab king and crabby hermit.

Woodie is amazing. As long as you have some healing, and most importantly, sanity restoration, then he can really put in a lot of work. That immediate starvation sure can be troublesome though. Died once to it when I got too greedy with chopping the forest.

EDIT: Why are there no ruins rush videos as Woodie? I think that his transformations would make the ruins a breeze.

16 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but the best part of playing woodie is having a toxic relationship with an axe

Ahh, that I can agree on.

16 hours ago, Well-met said:

probably because one item isn't worth sacrificing 99.9% of the game for

I did not see a problem here.

16 hours ago, Well-met said:

I did not see a problem here.

19 hours ago, Well-met said:

Swapped to Woody recently to give him another go and farm a whole ton of wood quickly for a cobblestone project and Lucy is INSANELY ANNOYING.... to the point where I swapped back earlier than I would have liked to just to avoid her CONSTANT whining.

Even when you aren't holding her she legit won't shut up until you equip her. I WANT TO USE MY WALKING CANE >=(

Lucy being annoying isn't too bad for me , I just drop her off at a forest I come to chop  once and a while .Deal with her half a day or so while getting wood. Not too bad , and infrequent.  

He has real drawbacks with the full moon thing and being starving when transformed back. You best try and have at least a little nibble of food on you at all times.

Jesus, is Lucy THAT annoying? You sure you people aren't over exaggerating? I play Woodie a lot, and never in my life have I found Lucy annoying. Then again, I might just be used to it, but I don't remember being annoyed by her in my early days either. Back then, all I was worried about was if other people could hear her too. So I might really be insane

1 minute ago, DaZoul said:

Jesus, is Lucy THAT annoying? You sure you people aren't over exaggerating? I play Woodie a lot, and never in my life have I found Lucy annoying. Then again, I might just be used to it, but I don't remember being annoyed by her in my early days either. Back then, all I was worried about was if other people could hear her too. So I might really be insane

keep her in the backpack or chester and in few minutes you will want to drop her in the edge of the world

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

keep her in the backpack or chester and in few minutes you will want to drop her in the edge of the world

wait, what? does she whine if you put her in one of those? This is shocking me, I never- I don't think I put her outside of my inventory at all, except of course when I transform. Until I have a Walking Cane, Lucy is the default item I have equipped, and I like the occasional chatter she makes. Breaks the dead silence I otherwise play in when I get sick of my buddies' beefalo manure

Fun facts about Weremoose:

Is one of the few damage sources (and tmk making woodie the only character) capable of doing direct aoe damage to multiple nightmare or shadow creatures.

Weremoose's damage absorption applies to literally everything, moose is 90% resistant to lightning, fire, overheating, freezing, and regular damage similar to wigfrid's innate 25% damage reduction.

Weremoose can be healed with salve or poultices by other players.

Weremoose does not trigger creep while charging over it (situational, but can be used in the labyrinth.

Weremoose can extend his timer by hitting inanimate objects such as ancient furniture and walls (useful for ruins diving).

Charging into a bird that flies away upon reaching it may cause the hit sound and extend the meter.

If you have a good enough connection, moose can kill a moose by tanking before moose dies (but will most likely die shortly after so kite you goons).

Combined with garlic can have the highest innate damage resistance in the game (tmk please don't kill me). (The type that applies to everything)

On 12/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, WoodieMain45684 said:

Fun facts about Weremoose:

Is one of the few damage sources (and tmk making woodie the only character) capable of doing direct aoe damage to multiple nightmare or shadow creatures.

Weremoose's damage absorption applies to literally everything, moose is 90% resistant to lightning, fire, overheating, freezing, and regular damage similar to wigfrid's innate 25% damage reduction.

Weremoose can be healed with salve or poultices by other players.

Weremoose does not trigger creep while charging over it (situational, but can be used in the labyrinth.

Weremoose can extend his timer by hitting inanimate objects such as ancient furniture and walls (useful for ruins diving).

Charging into a bird that flies away upon reaching it may cause the hit sound and extend the meter.

If you have a good enough connection, moose can kill a moose by tanking before moose dies (but will most likely die shortly after so kite you goons).

Combined with garlic can have the highest innate damage resistance in the game (tmk please don't kill me). (The type that applies to everything)

Hitting walls can extend timer?

What/who is tmk?

54 minutes ago, TheTruth said:

What/who is tmk?

To My Knowledge

imo - I find Woodie to be a real treat.  I mostly play Willow and Wes.  Willow because I like a girl who wants to see the world burn, and Wes because I like clowns.  Lucy gives me a lot of the same feelings that Willow does so I love to hear her talk while I'm chopping trees.  I never leave her in chester or a backpack though, she's either in my inventory (usually is) or on the ground off screen.

In the same world I play Woodie I also decided to avoid using backpacks, and Lucy is always in my inventory, being completely silent.

I often have to manage my inventory, but I never complained about having Lucy with me. In fact it often saved me. In the caves goose run I started freezing and I ran out of logs (used for armors) and I had low hp. Fortunately there were few trees that I could chop down.

Another time when fighting Klaus he destroyed the fire pit. I told my friend to distract him while I got enough logs for quick fire pit and enough fuel to last the fight.

Of course, those are very situational cases, but I really like having an option to get logs quickly, even in more hostile circumstances.

Archived