A bunch of questions.  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Have you domesticated a beefalo?

• No.
    • Yes, only 1 beefalo was domesticated
    • Yes, 2 or 3 beefalos were domesticated.
    • Yes, more than 4 beefalos were domesticated
    • Other (Please post so I can add a choice to the poll)
    • Partially ( To Rush FW/clear statues)
  2. 2. Would you make domestication never decay after fully domesticated?

• No.
    • Yes.
    • Yes but you would need to take a bit of care of the beefalo every year.
    • ...every 2 years.
    • ...every 3 years.
    • Other (Please post so I can add a choice to the poll)
  3. 3. Do you hate upkeeping beefalos on late-game worlds? ONLY for late-game players

• Yes, I hate that.
    • No, I like upkeeping beefalos.
    • --- I am not a late-game player ---
  4. 4. Do you rush domestication? ( Regardless of rushing FW or just using beefalos)

Hello.

I have questions regarding domestication and if it is easy to upkeep on late-games ( 1000+ Days).

Personally I like domestication but the upkeep of beefalos is annoying for me when I spend a long time in caves, which leads to beefalos going feral.

If there are some choices that aren't in the poll, text me so I can add them in.

41 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Personally I like domestication but the upkeep of beefalos is annoying for me when I spend a long time in caves, which leads to beefalos going feral.

yeah exactly. in my solo Wormwood world im playing rn i rushed a beefalo tame for the first time and got it by day 32ish. Im only at 200ish days currently but the upkeep really is a chore when u want to go spelunking. the first summer i left my beef near a salt lick that looked fresh but when i came back the domestication had dropped to 50% (i use the beefalo widget mod). The summer after that i made 2 fresh salt licks and the domestication didnt drop and only one of the salt licks got used up. 

I wish there was a better late game version of the salt lick that uses actual salt and can last a year or something with refueling. or a feeding trough u can fill with grass/twigs. 

Beefalo domestication definitely could use some QoL improvements. i wish a widget that displays HP, obedience and domestication was a baseline feature. So much time goes into taming a beefalo and the only info of the stats u get is when it drops below 20% and the character comments on it... i bet a lot more people would tame beefalo if the process was more transparent and there was a way to revive the beefalo if it gets below a certain amount of hp in combat. it could knock the player off and go into a "coma" or something until u revive lol 

its so easy to lose the beefalo if u accidentally demount in a fight and mobs start hitting the beefalo because if the obedience is too low u wont be able to feed it to remount... 

Maybe the best to do go for is a Beefalo Ranching update MK2, don't change much of the current behaviour but add more tools for advanced maintain of the beefs, like refuelable Salt Lick, maybe Salt Lick with a smaller collision range so we don't have to make massive ranch to build just 10 of them. And why not a sort of Hay Turf / Wall to keep them half feed and consume it slower than Salt Licks, or ranch feeder & drinker. That would make Beefalo taming not only useful but aesthetically better.

Other than that I try to use my beef as much I can, more to fight boss than actual movement speed, the only issue I have is when you start having multiple of them as you're not the only player, It starts to be hard to maintain at this point.

6 minutes ago, O_Atoba_Azul said:

Ever since walter and woby, rushing partially domesticated beefalo for FW/Shadow pieces is useless.

That is true, for Walter and Woby, but for everyone else it is still a valid strategy. There are people who want to play as different characters and while Walter can subvert this annoyance, rushing beefalo is still valid for literally every other character. Even in terms of rushing things, there are other characters that have more alluring aspects to them that would be better for rushing out side of this one part instead of doing the entire celestial portal fiasco for one task. While this is a interesting take, it fails to take into consideration other characters besides Walter and the fact that people play alone and/or don't want/have the celestial portal to use for this one task.

Beefalo domestication is at a good place (coming from a veteran beefalo rusher) BUT it needs to be seen as more accessible to a general player. 

Sidenote: I've recently been rushing beefalo as Walter and it's worked really well. You can basically negate the damage sanity downside while also being able to have a beefalo in the caves (Woby). 

Unless you're constantly mining rocks or petrified trees for nitre, maintaining salt licks for more than one beef can be tough. I wouldn't mind them having longer durability or being refuelable. There probably needs to be some retooling of how the salt licks work too. For me, the only safe way to keep a beef domesticated is leaving it surrounded by multiple salt licks which I don't think was intended. 

I never understand people who want domestication to last forever with 0 upkeep. 1 singular salt lick lasts 15 days, for 16 nitre if you really wanted to, you could ignore your beefalo for 10 days short of a year without using any sleep exploits. 

I'd be more on board with letting people disconnect with a beefalo, even if it could lead to griefing 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:00 PM, Lbphero said:

I never understand people who want domestication to last forever with 0 upkeep. 1 singular salt lick lasts 15 days, for 16 nitre if you really wanted to, you could ignore your beefalo for 10 days short of a year without using any sleep exploits. 

I'd want domestication to last forever ( until beefalo is killed) with upkeep.

Such as refuelable saltlicks, feeding fodders that would both increase domestication and obedience ( Incase domestication still dropped somehow or in case of Orneries)

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I'd want domestication to last forever ( until beefalo is killed) with slight upkeep.

Such as refuelable saltlicks, feeding fodders that would both increase domestication and obedience ( Incase domestication still dropped somehow or in case of Orneries)

In this game nothing is free, if you want a cow you need to take care of it

13 minutes ago, Well-met said:

walking cane says hi

25% drop rate from 1 mob in 1 season and can be destroyed if you upgrade it to lazy explorer and waste it if you dont use green staff

Having a beast that allows you to fight some bosses wasting only twigs and having more speed that walking cane shouldnt be easy to adquire

29 minutes ago, Well-met said:

grasping at straws I see.

There is nothing unreasonable with requesting that the tame process cannot go backwards once it reaches 100%.

We don't want to get rid of domestication or obedience as mechanics. That isn't the demand.

I want it too but some users seems to want it for free

I enjoy beefalo domestication a lot and most people definitely underrate how strong it is. My problem is that it really limits your gameplay experience, especially so if you rush a beefalo domestication. I sort of rushed an ornery beefalo domestication (finished day 35) as Wendy and once I was done the world felt boring. Everything died right away, your character themselves never takes health damage and you cant go into the caves. I dont think I went further than 60 days before deleting the world.

I don't know how hard this would be to code but if you could bring your beefalo down into the caves that'd be awesome.

Another thing that could bring more depth to beefalo taming is making the combat more in depth than hold f. Things like light attacks, heavy attacks with splash, blocking. Maybe for the ornery beefalo only. 

Adding more Tendencies (and saddles) would help too. This is getting a bit goofy maybe but if your beefalo spent more time in the caves than the overworld it could transform into a shadow beefalo with special abilities. Like a wortox soul hop every 60 seconds.

Archived