Does anybody remember this?

Earlier today I was scrolling through my old google photos gallery and I  came across a really weird photo...

image.thumb.png.ebb28fb3f4e194f9b8dfd289a918d36e.png

suddenly, a bunch of memories came back to me... I remember back like in 2006 I would spend a lot of days and some nights with my great grandma because of how busy my parents were, and she had a lot of really sort of stereo-typically archaic technology, among those sorts of things she would often bring out her real old TV, complete with the dial and everything you can see in this picture. I'm not sure why, since it'd really ought to be some sort of logical impossibility, but I really do remember watching like, adverts for don't starve and stuff inbetween other weird programs that i'd rather not mention when I was watching this TV. I would never actually touch the dials or whatevers in the back since I never really needed to, and I'm not sure if there were any slots for any videos or anything anywhere on the TV. 

Does anyone else remember seeing stuff like this on their TVs? I'd love to hear it if you have, thinking back on it kinda creeps me out and I hope that it wasn't anything weird to watch this sort of stuff.

53 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

There are TV commercials for video games?!

There used to be, many moons ago.

Ah, the days of my youth...

But,  yeah, I think that picture in the first post is probably just a picture of a TV with a screenshot edited onto it. It wouldn't make sense for there to be a TV ad for Don't Starve, especially several years before it was even made.

I'm actually really really freaking out right now. One of my earliest childhood memories is when I watched this commercial, but until now I've always thought it was a dream... I think I remember seeing it during a commercial break in-between the Spongebob episodes "Chimps Ahoy" and "Ghost Host," the first time those episodes premiered. I honestly can't remember many details of the gameplay or anything though, I just remember being scared of the darkness of the caves, feeling this uncomfortable presence in the room, smelling the distinct smell of sea salt in the air, and... feeling a breathing on the back of my neck?

Perhaps it's best to leave the past in the past.

human brains are actually very predisposed to making things up. we actually have lots and lots of 'gaps' in our memories and when we come across a gap we will often just kind of pretend that it isn't important and will skip past it. when we focus on a more nebulous memory or one that is actually lacking parts then we often will 'fill in' that bit with something that is close enough that it might work, as this is automatic and kind of instantaneous it feels authentic and we are none the wiser to the trick our brains just pulled

op had a badly photoshopped picture of a non-beta version of a game that wouldn't exist for another 5 years and an incomplete memory from when they were a kid that this(more or less?) sort of could fall into if it wasn't thought about too hard and sunset was actually having a very common dream for 80's/90's kids(so common there is a game about a firebug mail-ordering things so they can light those things on fire with the same general backround set-up) and put ds(a game they seem to be intimate with by their frequenting of this forum) in that memory gap

it is really neat to see that sort of thing but not very exciting or spooky x''D my brain has done this before where i will 'remember' dreaming about something that i know for a fact wasn't so, it was just repeated habits coupled with memory gaps

aaaas for the picture you should remove a bit of the glowing red from the knobs and redo the screenglow so it doesn't show up on the top of protruding seam above the screen and to add it below the screen so it looks like the glow is spreading out from the screen and towards the camera like it would in an actual photo also, also my father had an old tv that was just a little bit newer than that one and there was a warp to the glass to make the picture look bigger and less awkward, you should bow out the picture a little to mimic the fish-bowling and give a little bit of black to the top and bottom and cut more off the sides to account for the aspect ratio being so far off, if i am correct you need 4:3 for the tv which means there should be a bit of gapping(the game is 16:9?) that or the screen should be very tiny with a thick border at the top and bottom so there is no visible crop. good effort though! it is a very cute try ^^

This is caves, with lightbulbs and lantern in inventory.  Caves didn't come out until 2013.  I don't think they released any tv ads, at least I couldn't find any on youtube (and Klei's youtube includes promos for the cave release, I would have thought I'd find the video there.)  So I suspect this is either a photo from 2013+ game footage, or just a pure photoshop.

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

This is caves, with lightbulbs and lantern in inventory.  Caves didn't come out until 2013.  I don't think they released any tv ads, at least I couldn't find any on youtube (and Klei's youtube includes promos for the cave release, I would have thought I'd find the video there.)  So I suspect this is either a photo from 2013+ game footage, or just a pure photoshop.

The picture is absolutely a photoshop. It has perfectly flat scanlines that don't follow the curvature of a CRT screen (a TV set that old would absolutely not have a flat screen, and if it was flat and facing the camera the image wouldn't be bent to the left like that) and the image on the screen has perfectly even lighting that isn't affected at all by any ambient light bouncing off the CRT glass, let alone a reflection from whatever light source is putting out that dim reddish background light. Even a modern matte LCD screen would probably have some mild glare in the darkness around Wilson's circle of torchlight.

The corners of the image also don't seem to uniformly fit into the corners of that TV set's screen.CRTs did have to manually align the image with the visible screen using horizontal and vertical controls instead of automatically filling the display like LCDs, making it possible for edges to get cut off like on the right side there, but they also had symmetrical corners instead of the wildly different angles on the top left and bottom left in that picture.

Also it's the same footage used in the A Moderately Friendly Update trailer. I didn't go to the trouble of perfectly matching the frame or scrubbing off Klei's channel ident because I would have had to download the whole video file, but here's a few frames later. No one in the comments of that video mentions a TV ad using that footage though.

moderatelyfriendlyupdate.thumb.png.eba4fc112dea56be8d81dfcfb637d142.png

I think OP is pulling our legs. Especially if they're trying to present this as an old photo that they took themself, rather than saying they made it with an image editor as a recreation of their childhood memory. (Or claiming they just found it on a Google image search, but the image itself would still be photoshopped then.)

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I thought that was some Hot Lava screenshot. Oh well.

That was a nice post, OP, but people in the forums are too helpful for their own good. No Candle Cove Don't Starve today, hahah

now, now, to be totally fair i tried to help double the spooks in the attached image. surely that counts for something?

Not my fault their joke didn't land, or that I didn't realize they were joking because nothing about this was interesting or funny.  This is a forum for debating cheese vs cheat, whether Wendy is OP or balanced, and for polls that let us pretend our opinions matter.  Jokes go in the Maxwell's Memes thread.  Maybe it would have worked there... or like 10 years ago...

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue mushroom – the story ends, you wake up in your tent and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red mushroom – you stay in Ruins, and I show you how deep the tentacle hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.IMG_20200606_170013.JPG.aa0d384446c00916b18a70008f2ed406.JPG

Archived