[POL] August QOL: One change you would be content with

Do people even read this?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one change you would really like to see on August 20th

• Item(s) changed/added/buffed (e.g. Tail O' Three Cats, Cat Cap, Mushlight)
    • Foraging (farms, mushroom planter, seed drop birdcage)
    • Domestication (overall beefalo improved, tame other mobs, refuel salt lick, mob bugs)
    • Structures (e.g. Ice Flingomatic, Marble Structure craftability, Scaled Furnace)
    • Skin Items/Structures/Characters/Bugs (e.g. wormwood trail, hats look weird on some characters)
    • Naval (e.g. soft boat beaching, reel in items like salt, easier boat control)
    • Worldgen (more variety options, presets)
    • World gameplay (disease fix, wildfires, oasis season tweak)
    • Game engine (performance improvements)
    • Graphical (color blind mode, shadow creature visibility, End is Nigh flickering)
    • Combat (e.g. prioritize force attack mobs over walls, ignore birds when having melee weapon unless they are stunned)
    • I am content with whatever update Klei brings
    • Other (please include in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/19/20 at 08:59 PM

1 minute ago, KeshS said:

Doesn't lureplant destroy all of the items?

not all of them(in particular backpacks are not eaten and i tend to accrue several during play), and not every world has lureplants. there is also the issue that they often eat a lot more than just your rubbish, i've had a lureplant take out two or three beefalo and all the calves before while i was away

8 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Just dump your rubbish in the void and it will disappear.

Other than that: What kind of rubbish do you actually have?

exactly how? i have accidentally hit a spot off the edge and i just run forever until i cancel the actual and bumping only seems to work when something else is doing it

but the usual, backpacks, stingers, slimey turf(burnable), monstermeat(i get way more than i can reasonably cook now that i do bunny farming for puffs and feeding it to pigs is risky), beefalo/voltgoat horns and other items that would be nice to just throw out especially when lag sets in

11 minutes ago, gaymime said:

not all of them(in particular backpacks are not eaten and i tend to accrue several during play), and not every world has lureplants.

Backpack(s) can be burned to 1 Ash (useful for Healing Salves). Try to safely burn with a Torch/Willow Lighter everything that can be burned.

Lureplants in DST constantly spawn around player (10-20 tiles radius) in Spring at 6-7 days intervals. Mush and pick the bulb, then plant it safely on Desert Sandy Turf, Rocky Turf, Cave Rock Turf, Cobblestones, Wood, Marble, or Carpet Turf with a gap somewhere to spawn its Eyes that consume what you desire for destruction. As for what you further list as undesirable materials: make Boat Patches from Stingers, convert Monster Meat to Eggs and bundle (or feed 1 MM to a Pig, go with Pig in a location comfortable for fighting and feed the 3 rest then kite for Pig Skin and 2x Meats), use Beefalo Horns for Beefalo Hats to give Pigs and Bunnymen for fancy lols and nice aesthetic feels, and of course Volt Goat Horns for bundled Volt Goat Chaud-Froids, Weather Pains (farming wood, fighting Toad and AFW) plus Morning Stars (fighting wet mobs).

One easy trash can design is to use a boat, row it as close as possible to the map corner and drop all your not required items there. Since the game considers the corner of your boat as the void, items will just disappear when dropped there:

grafik.png.eba91587847e6432f6548fd3df0f86c4.png

Other than that, Monster Meat can either be burned (once it turns into rot) or fed to Werepigs/Hounds/Spiders, and Stingers can be used to improve your fuel: 1x Boards + 2x Stingers can be used to craft 1x Boat Patch which grants as much fuel as 1x Boards but stacks up to 20, allowing you to carry twice as much fuel. The only fuel which is better than Boat Patches is Compost Wrap which grants as much fuel as Boards but stacks up to 40.

16 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

snip

a lot of those suggestions are unreasonable for a non-veterean solo player  and lend credence to you not actually reading the part where my issue comes from a place of restricted time >___>  if i don't really have the time to cook all of that monstermeat then what makes you think i have time to capture a bird, make a cage, feed the meat to the bird then cook the resulting eggs? that is a lot of extra steps and time wasted. i also cannot even imagine how much set-up it would take to make a celestial portal by myself(especially since i cannot even kill a single terrorbeak on my own and haven't the will to do worse) just to use up voltgoat horns x______x add on top of all that you seem to think i am a fighter(which i suppose is valid, you don't know me afterall and might not have seen the many times i have mentioned i do not fight if i can help it at all) and that my computer is capable of running better when i am fighting a mob than when i am just doing a small walkabout(less valid of course since fights are more intensive on the computer's resources)

tl;dr? your solutions are much worse than the problems i am having and are not actually helpful to the majority of players let alone to a novice like me. yikes.

16 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

snip

thankyou! i will try to find the world edge in the next week or so and start chucking my junk. hopefully it will ease up a lot of the stuttering. just a little while ago i was certain the game would crash it seized up so hard

Uhhh picking only one is so hard. But I guess I'll go with the farming rework. Farms are pathetically bad. Mass producing for certain plants (garlic and pepper for warly for example) is so time and resource consuming. Bird gives you the second seed with 50% chance so even a bird buff would be great. 

2 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

"Please make the lazy forager refuelable"

I don't get why people want the lazy forager refuelable. There's not many recipes that require orange gems. After making lazy deserter and a couple lazy explorers I end up with too many orange gems. So I spend them for foragers. As a lazy person they help me a lot after cutting down a huge forest especially when I play Woodie.

56 minutes ago, gaymime said:

a lot of those suggestions are unreasonable for a non-veterean solo player  and lend credence to you not actually reading the part where my issue comes from a place of restricted time >___>  if i don't really have the time to cook all of that monstermeat then what makes you think i have time to capture a bird, make a cage, feed the meat to the bird then cook the resulting eggs? that is a lot of extra steps and time wasted. i also cannot even imagine how much set-up it would take to make a celestial portal by myself(especially since i cannot even kill a single terrorbeak on my own and haven't the will to do worse) just to use up voltgoat horns x______x add on top of all that you seem to think i am a fighter(which i suppose is valid, you don't know me afterall and might not have seen the many times i have mentioned i do not fight if i can help it at all) and that my computer is capable of running better when i am fighting a mob than when i am just doing a small walkabout(less valid of course since fights are more intensive on the computer's resources)

tl;dr? your solutions are much worse than the problems i am having and are not actually helpful to the majority of players let alone to a novice like me. yikes.

Those were optimal solutions for the "I have a lot of unused stuff atm" general problem. You can take them as are, personalize them in various ways or ignore them. They are not unreasonable as they're very well and comfortable within any skill range with a bit of knowledge. For example building a Bird Cage and catching a bird is a rather basic action. You certainly can do without, but having said Bird Cage and bird opens up the way for more healing options (i.e. Pierogis) to begin. Volt Goat Horns are also a valuable and rather rare resource, one desirable for stocking even if atm you don't use it in any of its forms/recipes. In the end: "your world, your rules". Yet is better to keep an eye out for improvements on all fronts - more options, more fun.

As for OP, I for one would certainly fancy item buffs (like Tail O' Three Cats recipe boiling down to only requiring 1x Tentacle Spot, or infinite Glowcap light via Spores, Fireflies or some other rare light alternative - maybe in future we can get some rare Moon/Ocean mob with a new glow-component loot if KLei deems current proposals as not needed/desired), more variety options plus more presets regarding WorldGen settings, winter visibility tinkers on Shadow Creatures, and perhaps combat tweaks like said force attack mobs-over-walls prioritization.

35 minutes ago, SadeceAtakan said:

I don't get why people want the lazy forager refuelable. There's not many recipes that require orange gems. After making lazy deserter and a couple lazy explorers I end up with too many orange gems. So I spend them for foragers. As a lazy person they help me a lot after cutting down a huge forest especially when I play Woodie

I completely agree, but still I think there is a middle ground of both things possible: Refueling a lazy forager with an orange gem, for 100% durability back

"Whats the point?":

- You still consume orange gems so they don't stockpile.

- You don't have to go to the ruins every time you get a new batch of orange gems from Dfly, nor use a lot of inventory spaces to bring a bunch of forager amulets from the ruins. Inventory management after crafting stuff at the pseudoscience station is probably the hardest thing, and most players will rather use those spaces for other more valuable ruins items (crowns, armor, starcaller, decon staff, magi, etc)

- By knowing its refuelable, people would probably craft at least one lazy forager when they get the chance, and use it more often. If it becomes the new meta, then orange gems will be put to use more as fuel.

Can we also get picking skins of items you spawn with before spawning to the list of popular QoL update ideas? So many Wendies, Wigfrids and Willows would welcome it if they can pick their flower/bernie/lighter/battle equipment skins before entering the constant.

3 hours ago, gaymime said:

i just want to be able to burn my rubbish items x_____x

Yess, this please. Can we please get a compost machine? I think giving Green Moonlens a purpose like this would be great. It'd make a compost machine that you can put any excess item in and turn them into fertilizer/fuel/minerals.

1 hour ago, SadeceAtakan said:

I don't get why people want the lazy forager refuelable. There's not many recipes that require orange gems. After making lazy deserter and a couple lazy explorers I end up with too many orange gems. So I spend them for foragers. As a lazy person they help me a lot after cutting down a huge forest especially when I play Woodie.

Can you ever have enough Lazy Deserters? I make it my personal goal to connect all places importance with lazy deserters if the server gets old enough.

If not in qol update, I want new challenges in the game because after a time there is not much to do with this game:snarlingspider:. Of course you can base build , beautification or setting up mob farms, but you need some challenges to always feel the attraction :wilson_love:

I like the concept of disease but I think it was abandoned after the initial reception was mixed. I think it would be good as an anti crop spamming threat, if it could be applied in more ways, and there were more options to combat it.

I really dont like that Wildfires can be completely ignored as long as you are in the oasis, I would like Oasis basing to have some extra threat, with the caveat that wildfire prevention methods be expanded beyond crafting an icefling-o-matic, and then hoping it does its job properly.

If theres one lesson ive taken away from my experiences with Dont Starve, its that the more threatening something is, the more options you should have to combat it.

Disease has a relatively low impact, and the counter measure is equally as shallow, needs to expand in both directions.

4 hours ago, SadeceAtakan said:

I don't disagree that such a change may limit the way in which people use future Orange Gems; however I would like to mention that, in the case of Yellow Gems, this is already in effect. Is there really a reason to craft a Magiliuminescence after your first one knowing full well that it can be easily refueled with Nightmare Fuel? I will say that it certainly puts more emphasis on the Star-Callers Staff as a result in most cases, and I would like to propose the idea that such a change for Orange Gems would actually help to encourage players to create and use more Lazy Explorers instead; I believe this would also impact the uses for Walrus Tusks as well considering how those can be amassed in bulk too.

This is however, just my own opinion; so please take care to "take it with a grain of salt" if you will.

Archived