Can Woby behave more like Chester?

Hi!

The recent update has been great but there is something I wanted to highlight that is becoming quite frustrating.

Woby seems to have a much closer "tether" to Walter than Chester does when carrying the Eyebone, running around Walter so closly and so often that she frequently gets in the way of performing a lot of tasks. I use a gamepad to play on PC (and I would imagine it's the same for console players) which uses a "focus highlight" type mechanic where the nearest item to your character while looking in its direction gets highlighted and is given the interaction prompts to pick up, attack, open, etc. Due to this behaviour it is difficult to perform certain actions like add fuel to a fire, reel in hooked fish, melee attack enemies and even pick up items from the ground because your focus prompt gets switched to interact with Woby as she has moved close to you on her own. This is also somewhat happening to my friend that uses a mouse and keyboard as Woby has moved in the way of the item being interacted with, blocking the click action .

Chester behaves differently, his tether seems to be twice as far as Woby's and he moves around your character far less often, most of the time staying completely stationary until you are far away from him, and when you do move, he doesn't come right up to your character and get in the way of your actions.

Can Woby's behaviour be changed to match Chester's so that she isn't always running around getting in the way of your interactions?

11 minutes ago, Orangex said:

Hi!

The recent update has been great but there is something I wanted to highlight that is becoming quite frustrating.

Woby seems to have a much closer "tether" to Walter than Chester does when carrying the Eyebone, running around Walter so closly and so often that she frequently gets in the way of performing a lot of tasks. I use a gamepad to play on PC (and I would imagine it's the same for console players) which uses a "focus highlight" type mechanic where the nearest item to your character while looking in its direction gets highlighted and is given the interaction prompts to pick up, attack, open, etc. Due to this behaviour it is difficult to perform certain actions like add fuel to a fire, reel in hooked fish, melee attack enemies and even pick up items from the ground because your focus prompt gets switched to interact with Woby as she has moved close to you on her own. This is also somewhat happening to my friend that uses a mouse and keyboard as Woby has moved in the way of the item being interacted with, blocking the click action .

Chester behaves differently, his tether seems to be twice as far as Woby's and he moves around your character far less often, most of the time staying completely stationary until you are far away from him, and when you do move, he doesn't come right up to your character and get in the way of your actions.

Can Woby's behaviour be changed to match Chester's so that she isn't always running around getting in the way of your interactions?

Completely agree with you, have had this happen multiple times and sometimes it’s annoying.

Maybe a “stay” option could do the trick, that way Woby could stay still while you’re busy.

Just now, MagicalSkies said:

Completely agree with you, have had this happen multiple times and sometimes it’s annoying.

Maybe a “stay” option could do the trick, that way Woby could stay still while you’re busy.

When I first read the news that Walter would have his own personal "Chester", I expected Woby to have her own bone item that we could carry or leave on the ground, but a stay command would work just fine. I would even be happy if she wouldn't move around and get in the way as much so any of these solutions would be great.

Personally I actually prefer how close Woby follows you. As much as I love Chester, I kinda find it annoying how far you have to walk away from him to get him to move, especially if you’re trying to run away from danger. 

However, I agree a “stay” command would be nice, because she does get in the way sometimes. 

I'm not sure about chester

but if Walter is on a boat with Woby, if someone decide to rollback the world for some reason

at logging back to game, Woby will on the land, leaving Walter alone on the boat

1 hour ago, jpmrocks said:

Make Woby more like Chester where she can die.

Then make Woby optional so she doesn't drive me nuts like chester do for being an aggro magnet. Otherwise I'll just keep killing it to stop it aggroing things.

Woby is a Critter (like ones from Rock Den) with inventory. Said inventory makes for the Chester/Hutch/etc-class confusion. If anything, Woby should be a rule applied to all pets: rework them to have special abilities/bons. Not only cosmetic annoyances as of now.

32 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Woby is a Critter (like ones from Rock Den) with inventory. Said inventory makes for the Chester/Hutch/etc-class confusion. If anything, Woby should be a rule applied to all pets: rework them to have special abilities/bons. Not only cosmetic annoyances as of now.

I though their perk was being annoying until you want to kill them

49 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

How about this

- Pets no longer cry out non-stop when starving, they'll cry at best once per day.

- KittyKit gives passive 15% wet resistance

- Vargling fetches you items on the ground, similar to gnarwail. eventually they'll make stacks of similar items, acting like a sweeper

- Ewelet sheds 1 steel wool every 10 days or so

- Broodling makes Lavaes target you last 

- Glomglom gives Glommer +100% more health if he's alive in the world. Stacks with more glomgloms.

- Giblet produces maximum 1 egg a day when hitting maximum hunger

- Mothling already has a perk

17 minutes ago, Well-met said:

How about this

- Pets no longer cry out non-stop when starving, they'll cry at best once per day.

- Vargling fetches you items on the ground, similar to gnarwail. eventually they'll make stacks of similar items, acting like a sweeper

- Glomglom gives Glommer +100% more health if he's alive in the world. Stacks with more glomgloms.

Don't know, I for one never put much thought into critters; tested them when were first out, saw they're just skins for same basic-actions model, and are quite annoying when starving - although immortal (the irony). Only pseudo-use is to feed them Glow Berries in exchange for temporary light, yet even that's mostly nothing aside amusement. Thus I completely ignored them further in my DST runs.

Perhaps, if willing to rework critters too, KLei has their own ideas about each and every one of them perks-wise. I find ok-ish the benefits in your proposals and could debate further, but frankly I don't see KLei addressing this any time soon (if ever) and mentioned ideas would only be buried and forgotten. Sufficient to say I'm totally in for Pets "refurbishes".

2 hours ago, jpmrocks said:

Make Woby more like Chester where she can die.

WHY?! Why would you want the cute dog to die?

Seriously though, Woby is fine being immortal. She doesn't draw aggro away from you like Chester does, which is good and bad. She can't stop following the player, so it's good that she can't die.

40 minutes ago, Well-met said:

How about this

I like these ideas a lot. Small buffs, not entirely gamechanging but that would give critters purpose. 

A few specific perks mentioned don't seem that useful compared to the others though:

"Broodling makes Lavaes target you last" This is very specific and it will only work if you fight dfly, people would get it just for dfly fight then switch out. How about if, your pet is kept well fed, it will keep campfires/firepits lit for longer (30% extra duration)

"Glomglom gives Glommer +100% more health if he's alive in the world. Stacks with more glomgloms." It doesn't convince me, Glommer should not be exposed to fights anyway. How about if you eat glommer goop while having glom-glom as critter, you get a smaller sanity penalty (just 20 sanity). In comparison, 3 blue caps give 60 hp but remove 37.5 sanity, so this could make it an okay-ish alternative. 

1 hour ago, Mooagain said:

WHY?! Why would you want the cute dog to die?

In past when I've noticed certain forumites advocating time-and-again for ability to kill Critters/Pets in a way or another I thought they want certain game balance and consistency across the board (9-slots additional inventory in Woby's case - also open to looting by any other player aside owner - seem according to some so "OP broken" Deerclops will cry in a corner all winter or something - thus she needs to die). But after I saw on various occasions in pubs basically trolls smacking others' beefs out of domestication or flat-out killing them, murdering all penned mobs designated as pets and such I tend to believe they are just sadists deriving pleasure from more-or-less griefing others. Else if you don't like your or others' pets cries for food, abandon yours and tell them players to feed/abandon theirs as well. Or... leave their presence?! If something's not to your liking, "hit the road, Jack, no more no more no more...".

3 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

Not to detract from the discussion or anything but I wish more people would put their suggestions in Suggestions & Feedback :/

this is where suggestions go to die.

no one cares about that place. Might aswell make the best of general discussions.

3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

this is where suggestions go to die.

no one cares about that place. Might aswell make the best of general discussions.

If we all started giving it more attention, we could bring it to glory

6 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

They should reuse the carrat training items to train pets. I always wanted to see the kittykit grab the berries.

Archived