My issue with Walter

Since Klei added Walter, I started to play with him, just because he is sooooo cute! But, I see that there are some problems with him:

So, I play a solo world, and as any others characters one of the most difficult things for mega base is killing all bosses. The problem with Walter is that you just can't, each time you take damage from a boss you loss a lot of sanity and then the shadows won't let you kill the boss. If you get some sanity food, like cactus, there is just not enough time for you to get sanity back and you need a lot of food for that.

So unfortunately like Wormwood and Warlly he is really bad at killing bosses solo, he is more of a help (Wormwood farms the veggies for pirogi, Warlly cooks volt goat jelly, Walter shoots from a distance). The only thing that I can do is wait till I get the celestial orb and change to Wolfgang.

Then there is Wobby: his big form is fast at first, but then it runs sooooo slow that it isn't even worth feeding him! He is just useless in that thing, riding!

Then there is the thing that you can't even farm nightmare fuel if you don't get a lot of damage, it's impossible to get your sanity down if you aren't combating! And if you are rushing stuff, you will always be insane! There is no in the middle and that makes it so you don't even want to combat.

The last thing about him that I wan't to mention is the small range of his slingshot you are playing ALONE, the monster will kill you wille you are charging the slingshot, just because its range has to bee so close. It makes the only useful of the amous is the freezing one, but again you can just use the freezing stuff that its faster.

So: Walter looks to me like a team player character, there is no point to play as him if you are playing alone. I really wish that Klei changes something, because the main two things that you do in dst is: killing bosses and building, in what he really isn't good. every other charterer has something interesting and fun, trying to kill Dragon fly wile insane is not fun! I won't use the new slingshot in the fight, I can't and his insanity is too big. 

But: In the other hand in the public servers he IS really useful, the monsters don't aggro on his slingshot, so wile someone fights he can just deal free damage. But that's if you play together, witch I do, but I want him to have the potential to be a solo character too. The only thing, why I play as him is because he is soooooo cute, but come on Klei, I know you can make it better!

3 minutes ago, Wumpair said:

like Wormwood and Warlly he is really bad at killing bosses solo, he is more of a help

Hold on a minute. You think Warly is bad at killing bosses? He is much better at killing bosses with his buffed food items than the majority of all characters.

8 minutes ago, YumoS said:

Hold on a minute. You think Warly is bad at killing bosses? He is much better at killing bosses with his buffed food items than the majority of all characters.

Nope I don't say that. I am myself a Warlly main, I mean that he is more difficult at killing them, but with Walter is almost impossible. Booth solo, if you re playing together every boss is just a joke.

9 minutes ago, Wumpair said:

I mean that he is more difficult at killing them

How? he has to go through A LOT more trouble to get his buffs, that's for sure, but when fully buffed Warly is effectively stronger and more resistant than most unbuffed characters, with the only exception of Wolfgang. He even surpasses Wigfrids DPS and resistance.

26 minutes ago, Wumpair said:

Wobby: his big form is fast at first, but then it runs sooooo slow that it isn't even worth feeding him! He is just useless in that thing, riding!

This needs fixing for sure, Woby starts to get slow after a short time transformed and there's no way to prevent or revert it. Its super annoying and makes big Woby have very limited uses.

I mostly play solo and don’t have any problem at all with Walter except maybe his insane hunger issue, it is almost as bad as Winona’s was and that’s an Achievement all in its own right! 

You can use his cheapest pebbles to one shot Butterflies, then once you got an Science Machine you can prototype gold pellets, which is just an absurdly good ammo type all around.  I can 1 shot birds & rabbits, moleworms with the gold pellet. You can also Effectively kill Merms, Pigman, Bats, Spiders, Bee’s and Buzzards with gold pellets. (Does exactly the same damage as using spear 2 spear hits kill Bats, 2 Gold pellets same result) 

Spoiler

the buzzards- just stand there letting you safely pelt them from a distance to easily obtain their food drops.

Ive also discovered that the Poop Pelt does make enemies STOP attacking you... but if said enemy had a nearby buddy then that buddy you didn’t hit will still chase you. This allows Walter to draw a single Beefalo out of a horde to single it out and kill it away from the others.

Woby being a 9 slot storage chest as well as a personal mount when feed 3 Monster Meat is nothing to scoff at either.

TL:DR- Walter is INSANELY Good for Solo play, in fact anyone who mains Wendy should be able to play as him with relative ease.

Provided that your not taking on totally optional boss fights with him.. that’s one territory I don’t bother with as ANYONE- However the ones you DO Have to fight like Deerclops and Bearger.. they’re made even EASIER to kill due to safely kiting them both using Slingshot.

TL:DR- use the weakest ammo type rock pellet only on killing butterflies, use gold pellet as most common ammo type for all other mobs until you can craft the marble pellet.. which is the best to use of all I think.

Use Poop Pellet to draw a single Beefalo out of an Angry horde and kill it somewhere discreetly.

I would like to see a few changes with how Walter plays.. but I will list those into a Spoiler Tag because your thread isn’t really about Walter Improvement Suggestions.

Spoiler

Walters Examination quote for a bee confirms that he is DEATHLY Allergic to them, and I would like that to be reflected into his gameplay aside from being a tiny minor annoyance. They can make his health core slowly bleed out over time needing a Booster shoot to cure, Woby can spawn with 4-5 free booster shots already inside her to help ease new players into this.

Klei needs to Update Poop Pellets so they can be used as an emergency fire fuel source.. I actually managed to die because I had nothing to put on my campfire that was dying in a sudden Spring rainfall (playing Random Weather) yet I had 50+ poop pellets in my inventory that could’ve helped fuel that fire a little longer in an emergency.

The last thing I would really like is that if When Woby is in small form she will sniff a hunt track and then run off in the direction of the next track barking for Walter (she is a hunting dog after all..)

And That’s it, that’s ALL the changes I feel he really could use :) Awesome Updates from Klei as usual. 

I get your point, but normal enemies aren't even a problem, and although boss fights are optional, it's just not fun to play without them. Wobby is good for early game to explore and have more storage, but when you get to later game the storage is not necessary, you have chests for literally every thing. And in late game you just build and kill, but these options are not so available for Walter, so I most probably will change the character as soon as I get the Orb, because for the late game, all he has is the tent for decoration. I just wish he would be a little better... especially at killing bosses.

After all, it's our duty as the players to make the game better!

17 minutes ago, Wumpair said:

I get your point, but normal enemies aren't even a problem, and although boss fights are optional, it's just not fun to play without them. Wobby is good for early game to explore and have more storage, but when you get to later game the storage is not necessary, you have chests for literally every thing. And in late game you just build and kill, but these options are not so available for Walter, so I most probably will change the character as soon as I get the Orb, because for the late game, all he has is the tent for decoration. I just wish he would be a little better... especially at killing bosses.

After all, it's our duty as the players to make the game better!

Well this is true, for the late game killing at range with a small dps does not really add much.

I thought the cursed rounds would be his late game thing, but they deal a slightly higher damage than the marble pellet, and only on very specific situations. Just shooting marble non stop is better.

I think for all the trouble you have to go through to get the cursed rounds they should be a lot better than the marble rounds, which, literally "grow from a tree". I'll probably adress this in a new topic as noone mentioned this yet.

5 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Does anyone else think Woby should be available to everyone else? I dunno, just feel like it.

You mean like being able to ride her? Maybe only as a secondary passenger. 
I just see Woby similar to the portable Ice Box cooler idea Canis and company came up with back when we were discussing ideas on what Walani could have if she was brought to the game.

Its roughly the same thing.. but instead of a 6 slot icebox for Only holding food, It’s a 9 slot Invulnerable to dying Chester.

A video from Edgy Rick that shows exactlly what I mean by soloing bosses:

This video shows Fuelweaver, but toadstool, df, Klaus, Ancient guardian, shadow pisses and beequen are all an issue to Walter. These bosses normally have some attacks that are uncapable, you don't go to kill Klaus with no armor, and although you may know how to kite, it wont help you to avoid all hits! And if you still can't win a fuelweaver using 40 cooked green caps, then you can already tell that he is horrible at killing bosses solo. It is just impossible to do something! You will still fail or do the fight using double the usual resources, witch are normally not available early game. just because of the sanity feature I won't be able to kill Klaus, df and all other giants my first year, and that is the ISSUE. Walter is a TEAM character, it's ok, but make it a little bit more 1 player friendly, pls!

I am not even talking about beequen in detail, he won't make it face 2!

seems like 2,5 damage against wet enemies + 25%armor+ 25%damage is not enough XDD

5 minutes ago, Wumpair said:

This video shows Fuelweaver, but toadstool, df, Klaus, Ancient guardian, shadow pisses and beequen are all an issue to Walter. These bosses normally have some attacks that are uncapable, you don't go to kill Klaus with no armor, and although you may know how to kite, it wont help you to avoid all hits! And if you still can't win a fuelweaver using 40 cooked green caps, then you can already tell that he is horrible at killing bosses solo. It is just impossible to do something! You will still fail or do the fight using double the usual resources, witch are normally not available early game. just because of the sanity feature I won't be able to kill Klaus, df and all other giants my first year, and that is the ISSUE. Walter is a TEAM character, it's ok, but make it a little bit more 1 player friendly, pls!

well he doesnt do any range atack to prevent getting hit and tanking as walter is the worst idea. Also he brings a lot of thulecite crowns but any weather pain? i really dont get the video

edit: omg edgy rick comes to dst again? what a bad new....

9 hours ago, Wumpair said:

it's impossible to get your sanity down if you aren't combating

Shrooms, monster meat, uncooked meat/cactus, evil flowers/cactus/spiky bush picking, wormhole, spoiled food, night fuel's food from Warly. Some might not work, haven't tested any, but by logic those would all get his sanity down.

As for bosses, bunny and rock lobsters can help Walter if you're having trouble soloing against some bosses.

2 hours ago, Sweaper said:

Shrooms, monster meat, uncooked meat/cactus, evil flowers/cactus/spiky bush picking, wormhole, spoiled food, night fuel's food from Warly. Some might not work, haven't tested any, but by logic those would all get his sanity down.

As for bosses, bunny and rock lobsters can help Walter if you're having trouble soloing against some bosses.

i have tested wormholes, cooked green mushroom and evil flowers and doesnt drop the sanity (well if keep the damage done by the green mush you will have the insanity droping over time because of being damaged)

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i have tested wormholes, cooked green mushroom and evil flowers and doesnt drop the sanity (well if keep the damage done by the green mush you will have the insanity droping over time because of being damaged)

Uncooked green shroom reduces sanity, cooked gives it. And standing by an evil flower does nothing, you need to pick it, the flowers I tested.

8 hours ago, Wumpair said:

Its just Edgy Rick. Pointless.

21 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Well this is true, for the late game killing at range with a small dps does not really add much.

I do agree, also marble farm is real pain ass thing, and deal dps at spear level if consider its speed

19 hours ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Does anyone else think Woby should be available to everyone else? I dunno, just feel like it.

no, really, no, when there are more than 2 Walter

you may just mess up which Woby is your, and might be opened and stolen by other Walter

to improve this feature:

Woby's owner should have options to allow Woby is either open to everyone or to owner himself only

14 hours ago, Wumpair said:

this video is inaccurate if to judge now, dark sword drain Walter's sanity now 

also he didn't bring weather pain to solo which is pain ass thing to do

if I'm to choose, I would rather remove or nerf Walter's story telling for team to buff Walter's slingshot

To be honest, to judge if a character is fun to play or not

it is not depend on how great support a character can bring to team

unless they really bring HUGE benefits for each other

if Walter has poor experience among most bosses fight

I don't think he is gonna be fun to be played in long term game

all the time Walter would be just shooting birds and rabbits

( spider is not in the list because melee weapon is much more efficient to kill spider one by one and grab the loots )

in the end, Walter's player would easily get bored and quit the game

22 hours ago, Wumpair said:

Then there is the thing that you can't even farm nightmare fuel if you don't get a lot of damage, it's impossible to get your sanity down if you aren't combating! And if you are rushing stuff, you will always be insane! There is no in the middle and that makes it so you don't even want to combat.

Just use green mushrooms for insanity. 

22 hours ago, Wumpair said:

If you get some sanity food, like cactus, there is just not enough time for you to get sanity back and you need a lot of food for that.

Find bananas in caves and then turn the into popsicle in crockpot with 2 ice and a twig. It has a quick animation and a +33 sanity each popsicle. The best sanity restoration item in game. 

You could just change charecter if you dont like him. I enjoy walter myself. 

23 hours ago, Wumpair said:

So, I play a solo world, and as any others characters one of the most difficult things for mega base is killing all bosses. The problem with Walter is that you just can't, each time you take damage from a boss you loss a lot of sanity and then the shadows won't let you kill the boss. If you get some sanity food, like cactus, there is just not enough time for you to get sanity back and you need a lot of food for that.

In my opinion, this should not be a lot of problems and fuss, because there are alternative ways to kill various bosses, almost all. I do not rule out some random situations, but with good training and tactics, you can kill all the bosses without getting a lot of damage or even kill them without damage.

12 hours ago, Well-met said:

i'm not too much of a youtube person so that is an unironic question

He is/was too edgy in his comment section, some say its his persona, whether it's true or not some people didn't like his edginess. And he popularized the trio gods while trashing on the other characters, people don't like having their favorite characters treated as trash.

4 hours ago, Well-met said:

What's wrong with Edgy Rick

Edgy Rick has been known for being an idiot to other people and other players that disagree with him in any regard. He fed bad information to new players and overall wasnt a good YouTuber that bring down the DST community. He quit DST about a year ago but recently returned to YouTube for some reason.

Archived