Playway S.A.(Poland) is ripping off ONI and other developers

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063980/Hell_Architect/

@Canis brought this to my attention. The reason I'm not showing art is due to the images being nsfw. Still, the characters look like they rip off dupes and mechanics, including the generator.

I looked through Playway's catalogue, and they seem to be ripping off other publishers. I hope Klei looks into this.

The reason why this is uncanny is because the "dupe-likes" in this game look VERY similar to ONI dupes, to the point where the inspiration is undeniable (They say that they were inspired by ONI at the bottom of the store page, but this feels too blatant to get away with).

Also a heads up, do not click that store link if you're sensitive to blood, gore, torture implications, or nudity.

Edit: Also, according to the store page, PlayWay SA is the publisher, Woodland Games is the dev.

Well, there is this thing called a "citation" in the arts. It is not a rip-off, it is expected and it perpetuates things and keeps things evolving. For it, you take some elements of one or several existing works of art and combine them in a different way and add other elements as well.

My take would be that is what is going on here. Now, if they had made a game that was basically a copy of ONI, that would be different. But that is not the situation.

I also think the similarity to ONI dupes is vastly overstated. If you take "small human" as baseline, one could even say the claim of similarity specifically to ONI dupes is pretty much nonsense.

Nice advertisement you made for them. Now I wanna play that game too.

And claims about any rip-off are much exaggerated. Art style looks similar and inspiration is clear, but calling the game as whole as a rip-off is just dishonest.

14 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Guess I'm in the wrong. Sorry.

Don't worry, you are right to have own opinion and when you share it with other, then the others are right to share their own. If you are able to hear the others and then maybe adjust your opinion, if they convince you, then there is nothing wrong here.

16 minutes ago, cpy said:

That game gave me feeling like someone did it in a week and put up crude video

Agreed. I like the concept but it looks like they heavily lifted from ONI because they didn't want to push further on the idea.

This is like the third time that I see someone, allegedly, complaining about how similar those two games are, even though I don't see that much resemblance.

Conspiracy theory mode on: maybe the game dev team is purposely accusing themselves with random created account in this forum to promote their game.

21 minutes ago, Someone1112 said:

maybe the game dev team is purposely accusing themselves

???

I don't work for the company. It was Canis who brought it to my attention. I was in the wrong because I was thinking with emotion rather than taking some time to think about it.

Klei should take it as a compliment: their gameplay is well-realized enough it inspired someone to go and code their own knockoff dupes just so they can properly torture the little bastards for peeing in the water tank.

There is also one really really simmilar game to ONI but you have first person control like Terraria, it's in early access but I forgot the name. I also didn't like that game.

Archived