[Theory] Warly and Wes knew each other before the Constant!

Hi everyone!

This is a theory that no one asked for but that i'll still deliver anyway.

The latest update added alot of small details trough the Compendium. One of which is the confirmation that Warly was an Ex-sous-chef in Paris:

image.png.63de4a5f246f7444e971008c3e403f91.png 

Who is also known to be from Paris? Our little mime Wes! As we can see in his original profile picture:

Wes.thumb.png.52e12a7cf61c676292036e5b463662b4.png

(The Eiffel tower is on the right and the "Arc de Triomphe" is on the left, both structures are from Paris)

Now Paris is a really big capitale and there's little to no reason to believe why those two would even know each other, right? 

Well we might have one piece of evidence or two.

My first one being that Wes favorite dish is the fresh fruit crepes!

image.png.2fd116d0cd7d393913a1b86d14cc3ade.png

Fresh_Fruit_Crepes.png.316296e250b8dad51c5d19821a8cab9d.png

(I know it's mostly a joke since it's a big food value and he has a little stomach. Crepes are also a dish from France itself, so maybe it's just a allusion to that)

But that dish is a Warly exclusive dish. Maybe Wes used to go to Warly's restaurant before the Constant and before Warly left Paris. It could also explain why Wes has a big hunger since he was used to eat such dishes. 

My second piece of evidence is Warly's quote about Trapped Wes in the Adventure mode in single player:

image.png.6c7ecc4e1e38b83a43e0a77981de0199.png

Warly refers to Wes as "Mon ami" meaning his friend. Maybe it's just Warly kind nature to refer to a stranger as a friend, but i would find that odd. I personnaly think he calls him friend because he at least knows him a little.

Finally, (that one is more of an obscure one) Wes had the perk to be an "Expert haggler" in the Gorge. Meaning he was maybe able to get cheaper deals at a fancy restaurant like Warly would of had. I mean being a mime is certainly not the richest of career, so it would explain how Wes was even able to financially be there.

Thats not the craziest theory ever, doesn't add alot to the game, but if its true, it adds a bit more story to the silent one Wes!

6 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I can dig this theory, does add a fun little bit of character. Not like Wes would tell us where he eats anyways. :sure:

Well.. Mimes are just people who still have a voice and can use it, but during their performance they just don’t because that’s part of their performance, it’s not like he’s completely mute or anything and can not actually speak.

I imagine if I took a ball bat to a Mime and went full on Harley Quinn on them that they would yell out a few curse words.

but.... I wouldn’t recommend you trying that in real life for obvious reasons. ;)

Many people believe that Warly is both Croatian in culture and is a resident of (or at least has some affiliation to) New Orleans-Illinois, a place that has heavy french roots as well. While I won't throw out the possibility the he could be french himself, I (personally) think that he simply went to a distant country to refine his skills; this makes me believe that in his animated short, he had just returned from his travels to see his maman again, expecting her to not remember him. 

Perhaps that was the reason he went to paris at all.....was to simply cook good enough for his maman to remember him. 

he didn't come from Paris because it said that, after being over there, he returned to his home (something like that, i don't remember exactly). Could be french but from an other city or a totally other country.  I read somewhere that he could be from french islands (Polynesia, la réunion, caraïbes...) sounds quite realistic, since his home looks a bit exotic.

Was there any evidence you could find that connected the two characters specifically? Establishing that the two characters have been to Paris before helps but doesn't solidify the claim that they've met unfortunately. After all, we know that Maxwell and Wickerbottom have been to New York, but the quotes for the Maxwell Statue from DS and DST suggest that Wickerbottom has never known Maxwell prior to getting kidnapped by him. 

8 hours ago, Nino123 said:

he could be from french islands (Polynesia, la réunion, caraïbes...) sounds quite realistic

That would make a lot of sense considering he's a character originally from Shipwrecked.

@Owlrus98 @Nino123 i personnaly dont think Warly was born in Paris or France either, sorry if my post was not clear about that. I think he was there to study, or in the case of my theory, under the wing of another chef in Paris. He then would of been working in a restaurant, learning recipies. He had to leave though cause of his maman Angeline. Leaving the promise of his career behind.

I do believe Warly is from a Polynesian island or New Orleand.

@Rinkusan i don't have other evidence so far sadly. Like i said my theory is not the crazyest and it is indeed bare bone if you ask me... though i wanted to point out those few details nonetheless. I mean the fresh fruit crepes could (most likely is) just a troll from the devs to Wes. But ya if i find anything else that is more supportive i'll definitely post it!

On 5/31/2020 at 10:41 PM, Warlockadamm said:

would of

-.-

On 5/31/2020 at 10:41 PM, Warlockadamm said:

Maybe it's just Warly kind nature to refer to a stranger as a friend, but i would find that odd. I personnaly think he calls him friend because he at least knows him a little.

ill bet they dated at some point

but also crepes is typicaly french and wes is also french so thats why, the rest is jsut coincidence 

5 hours ago, Parusoid said:

ill bet they dated at some point

?

5 hours ago, Parusoid said:

but also crepes is typicaly french and wes is also french so thats why, the rest is jsut coincidence 

Yeah but he was saying Wes' favorite food is a Warly exclusive food item. 

7 hours ago, Parusoid said:

its just coincidence

There are other dishes you could peg for french if they just wanted to give him a french dish.  Ratatouille and Froggie Bunwich would both have been good enough to hit that milestone.

Fresh fruit crepes is a perfect storm of more hunger than he could possibly contain, an exotic recipe, and only 1 character in the game can make it, and that character is not Wes.  It is the ultimate troll, and honestly being "french" is the least of it to me.

While there isn't enough evidence to say for certain they did know each other, there is no evidence to say they couldn't have.  The negative is not proved by a lack of positive evidence...

6 hours ago, TopNoob said:

I bet he meant mon amour and not ami

I ship it.  I'd totally draw it up if I could... ya know... draw <_<;;

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if it's been posted but on a different threat it's been debunked by a dev.

They said "It was old strings added before his creation. They didn't know one another until the Constant."

It was posted on the Maxwell Meme thread, it takes some digging unless it's gotten some reactions by now. 

It's a fun theory tho! That is a sneaky quote I completely missed and I've read almost all of the character quotes twice. I love when we brainstorm on theories.

6 hours ago, toughguy290 said:

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if it's been posted but on a different threat it's been debunked by a dev.

They said "It was old strings added before his creation. They didn't know one another until the Constant."

It was posted on the Maxwell Meme thread, it takes some digging unless it's gotten some reactions by now. 

It's a fun theory tho! That is a sneaky quote I completely missed and I've read almost all of the character quotes twice. I love when we brainstorm on theories.

Source? I'm pretty sure you're referring to Willow's melon quotes about someone named Walter, which is the new DLC character's name. Nothing to do with Warly and Wes knowing each other.

Screenshot_116.thumb.png.f64ac72248248695e4655dd86e31d5fa.png

3 hours ago, Lammarr said:

Source? I'm pretty sure you're referring to Willow's melon quotes about someone named Walter, which is the new DLC character's name. Nothing to do with Warly and Wes knowing each other.

Screenshot_116.thumb.png.f64ac72248248695e4655dd86e31d5fa.png

There it is! Thank you for digging. I didn't even know where to begin looking for that post. (Well other than I'm the meme section.) 

Archived