Diagonal chlorine food storage

How do you do that thing where you have a single tile of chlorine to rail drop food into but dupes can diagonally reach to remove it to eat, without having them remove it to go drop into the collection bin along with newly cooked food to ship back into the chlorine tile in an infinite loop?

I used a clock to divide the cycle into one phase where they could deliver and one phase where they could take out and a blank time of 30 sec game time or so between. Blocking was by doors (and escape doors so they do not get locked in). Has been a while since I used that though.

I've only 2 storages that accept final product. The first one is a loader in my kitchen. Out of cooking machines, everything is swept by an arm. Dups don't have permission to use it.

The other one is apart, usable by dups, but on sweep only, in case of. I see no reason to have a reachable storage that accept cooked edible.

For the cooking ingredient, I've another chlorine storage, and dups have no physical access to it. But they can freely use another loader that delivers into.

In brief, I clearly split access between final edible, and cooking ingredient (or transitory edible).

22 minutes ago, psusi said:

But they will drop unfinished food on the floor of the great hall, where it will rot if nobody can pick it up and put it away.

Depending on how you've set up your great hall, you can either use a sweepy or arms to pick up the left over food. 

Or have specific placement of your food location.  If you build your great hall so their is only one entrance, then put the food storage at the other end.  That way, dupes will naturally want to pick up the food on the floor first before going to get new food out of storage.

I personally go the sweeper method, but go with whatever works for you.

6 hours ago, psusi said:

But they will drop unfinished food on the floor of the great hall, where it will rot if nobody can pick it up and put it away.

Sweepy's cleaning. Then an arm & and a loader is leading back the food from dock to storage. (Forgot to talk about those loaders in my previous post)

This cleaning part is also easily achievable using only arms. Those do not break the "mess hall" state so you can cover the space. For the loaders, because they break it, with a little design you can put them outside the hall but reachable by the arm if you use wisely pneumatic doors. It closes the room space, but sweeper can sweep through it.

The first option is live on my current game, the second option (before sweepy's birth) was live in my previous game.

2 minutes ago, sheaker said:

Why not store food in CO2? It is also sterile atmosphere. Since CO2 is heaviest gas it is easy to create small storage room with refrigerator(s) inside and easy access from the top.

That's what I've always done, but I'd like to try this idea of a single tile of chlorine that auto loaders dump infinite food into.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I didn't know that. I'll do that next time when I make another base.

Oh my, have you actually been spending the 120 watts on a refrigerator?  By cycle 10 or so I always dig down and make a little room to move the ration box to and just let it fill with CO2.  I'd like to not have to worry about running out of storage for bulky lettuce now though.  Food also won't spoil in hydrogen or chlorine, and chlorine will even kill any germs that got on it.

8 minutes ago, psusi said:

have you actually been spending the 120 watts on a refrigerator?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah...:wilson_dorky:

I should probably switch it up and go with Rine next. I usually go for Verdante due to oxy plants and pips but I need the colder temperatures for the bristle berries.

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

I should probably switch it up and go with Rine next. I usually go for Verdante due to oxy plants and pips but I need the colder temperatures for the bristle berries.

I never grow bristle berries... too much water use.  I've always been a huge fan of mushrooms.  They take so little slime it's crazy, and they are happy at 35 C.  Just put them in an insulated room and at worse you need to throw 30kg of ice in from an ice maker every now and again to keep it coolish.

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

I didn't know that. I'll do that next time when I make another base.

Mine looks like this and it works perfect. Automation is to disable gas range and electric grills:

Kitchen1.thumb.png.0512f6053e1710192cc666d9f919bc2b.png

Kitchen2.thumb.png.e42f24a995a070e9ecb8b530ac9254a4.png

I've been messing around with this idea recently too, and fumbled across this "feature" that you might be able to use to your benefit:  dupes won't sweep UP.  So Travaldo can't sweep inside the methane block from below but Liam can from above.  This is true regardless of how many tiles tall the room is, and even if you put ladders all the way to the ceiling.

image.thumb.png.451bc0127635f57b11e8ec3d4942467c.png

And now for (other?) things you already know and have probably tried: 

1. The top sweeper in Liam's room can't reach the methane block but the left sweeper can.  So the top sweeper loads the loader from the bin but can't sweep it back up once it reaches the methane block.  The one on the left could be enabled when you need something (and have it fill a loader that the top sweeper can't reach, for example, by blocking with airflow tiles).

2. The sweeper in Travaldo's room CAN reach the methane block even though Travaldo can't, but it won't sweep things into the bin because the bin is set to "sweep only."

Hope this helps.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:33 AM, psusi said:

So how do you place the ingredients so that a sweeper can move them to the grill, but dupes can't get at it?

That's the right tile in the image. The bottom sweeper can reach all three cooking stations and the storage, and dupes can't reach the storage. (One way to do it.)

On 5/23/2020 at 12:36 AM, sheaker said:

Why not store food in CO2? It is also sterile atmosphere. Since CO2 is heaviest gas it is easy to create small storage room with refrigerator(s) inside and easy access from the top.

CO2 has this nasty habbit to not kill germs fast enough, if at all, chlorine is the only reliable one. There are more sterile options though, like H2 for hanging food storage. I didn't tested liquids as of now for storage, like maybe oil or petro. In Water, food will spoil. I even had a case, where the fridge was submersed in CO2, but a little waterdrop on the ground was enough for spoilage.

19 hours ago, Sigma Cypher said:

I've been messing around with this idea recently too, and fumbled across this "feature" that you might be able to use to your benefit:  dupes won't sweep UP.  So Travaldo can't sweep inside the methane block from below but Liam can from above.  This is true regardless of how many tiles tall the room is, and even if you put ladders all the way to the ceiling.

I swear I've seen other people put the food bin on the roof and the dupes would sweep up to eat.  They certainly can build diagonally up... I don't see why sweeping would be any different.

20 minutes ago, psusi said:

I swear I've seen other people put the food bin on the roof and the dupes would sweep up to eat.  They certainly can build diagonally up... I don't see why sweeping would be any different.

I know it's unintuitive, still it's how it is. Some time back I encountered this situation, made some testing and made a topic. No matter the configuration, they can't sweep from below.

I can't seem to find the thread now but I'm sure I've seen a build where the food storage was on the roof and dupes could sweep up to pull from it.  They can only reach 3 tiles though and since it has to be diagonal, this means that they have to stand exactly 2 tiles to the side and 2 tiles below the box.  In your example, a ladder against the wall won't help, because they also have to stand two tiles to the left of the box.  You need the ladder to be where the sweeper is, or simply have the floor two tiles higher up so they can stand exactly 2 down and 2 to the left of the box.  Or a ladder to the left of the sweeper should let them reach exactly 3 up and to the right.

This is how I solved the problem:

0EFF730B71CFA78E5921290E3F65B2D0A36EF27E

12105FECF392DB8454B6CCC78039BB1B1D18C194

I use mechanized airlocks to control access to food. During downtime for all schedules the doors are opened so dupes can access food, but then, when last downtime ends, door closes and third door, covering conveyour loader, opens, so if there is any food laying on the ground then dupes will deliver it, without taking any food from the storage.

Here is a video shoiwng how this works:

Well, this is mostly working - inputs in the two chlorine tiles by the kitchen floor and finished edibles high just under the mess hall floor.  The dupes can't sweep the lower chlorine tiles because - here is another "feature:" they have to be two tiles away diagonally to sweep so they can't stand on the raised carpet block in the kitchen and get the raw materials.  But the sweepers can get there to feed the grills and egg cracker.

image.thumb.png.3fe89063177a9a1525964c32173ff564.png

Now I have to figure out how to get the Sous Chef to crack the eggs before they hatch into worthless, bristle-blossom-eating bugs.

Archived