[Poll] On Core Gameplay/Worldgen Mods

; the way home  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Core Gameplay changing mods?

2. 2. Do you use Worldgen mods?

Next on my list of questions: do you use mods which make major changes to DST's core gameplay/worldgen? Why so, or why not? Any recommendations?

Examples I can recall of the former mods are Uncompromising Mode, Feast and Famine, and Thirst, while the latter mod have examples like Island Adventures, Cherry Forest, and more I cannot recall.

As always, answer freely and of your own will, and discuss in the comments!

3 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Would you call a character mod gameplay changing? I would.

That's a different category entirely. Gameplay changing delves directly into processes needed to commence gameplay (e.g. eating, cooking, fighting, sanity and health restoration). A character mod may or may not fit into that mold, aaaand it doesn't help that most character mods either take existing character traits or overinflate stats to benefit the player greatly without regard for balance. (Of course, there are exceptions.) 

I don't use any mods beside client (I have alot of mods to disable effects that make my pc suffer, I have a reallllly old pc), and that's it. I prefer to have the real 100% original DST feeling. (+ I didn't finished to dominate a full map completely so, maybe after this, we'll see)

The only main gameplay mod I really use is the Single Player Mod, because I play by myself a lot. This just decreases boss and mob HP to DS levels, including DST specific bosses. Sometimes I'll try worldgen mods (like one that added fruit trees I tried for a bit) but tend to keep it vanilla in that regard. 

I don't use mods because I want that vanilla experience. I might one day use them if I get bored with the content we have now, but I would actually have to reach all of the content in the game first for that to happen. Plus my broken yet dearly loved computer can't handle that much more stress after both caves and surface, so I don't have that much leeway.

I'm never using "Core Gameplay changing mods" because I like playing DS/T and not something else with DS/T skins. Changing core-mechanics usually means the lore and consistency aspects being thrown all over the place to the point it becomes a hodgepodge of half-baked ideas and confusing concepts. And don't get me started on additional art-work/animation involved (actually this is a broader problem with all mods) as most modders can't faithfully reproduce DS/T style or aren't sufficiently skilled to reach KLei level of quality in general (and is understandable). Yes, there are exceptions - a dime a dozen ones, but none to my liking.

As for "Worldgen mods", sometimes I test certain mods that peak my interest. Notable personal-preference examples of such mods that I come-back-to from time to time in various personal servers: Whispering Wisespy, Dig your pond! [with Set Piece and Full Moon Event], and [DST] Legion. I liked the Island Adventures mod at first, but over time started crashing constantly; I fancied parts of Megarandom world generation mod (namely the Beavers Biome - I still wish a stand-alone mod of this biome would be out there in Steam Workshop), but like aforementioned IA started to freeze and crash after playing some time. And I still love Cherry Forest yet those tree-trunks, cherries and cherrilings... (sorry @ADM).

I've had some fun with them, but I just can't keep using them.  Its like when I change the default settings in the game before loading, I just feel like a cheat with that aspect removed.  I really liked using a set-piece mod that simply guaranteed the reed trap and gave more set pieces.  I really liked this, but then started feeling like it was cheating <_<

Its like - Sure I can exploit X if its in my game, but adding a mod that gives me X to exploit is very different.

I've tried out a ton of different mods because I like to see what's out there, but finding mods that are stable, fun, and have art of sufficient quality is difficult.

The only gameplay mod I currently use is Uncompromising (and not on all worlds), and I had used Island Adventures in some worlds until RoT broke it, but as Klei has added more content I miss the shipwrecked content less.

Archived