Alternate Hermit Quest: Cruelty.

I was thinking about the quest for Pearl, the crabby hermit. You do a bunch of nice things for her and she gives you a pearl, and you give it to the Crab King, who does not accept Pearl's gift and has been too corrupted by the "Moon," and he becomes extra powerful, cracking the pearl upon death. But I was thinking, What if you went the Cruel route? There could be an alternate quest where you do horrible things to Pearl: You throw her messages into the fire, you burn down the trees, destroy the bee box and kill the bees, destroy the drying racks, planting lureplants, putting extra clutter in her water, and blowing up her house with gunpowder. After doing all of these things, you gain the option to kill Pearl. Not "Attack" but "Kill." Upon death, she would drop the cracked pearl. You can then bring that to the Crab King, but this time, he will be angry that you killed his lover. He will become "Misery Crab King," and will have Seven times the benefits from the gems, and will have a new attack that damages the player AND the boats. Upon death, he drops a different celestial tribute that has its own unique recipes.

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

little to no benefit for the game

There would be a new celestial tribute with its own unique crafting recipes.

I don't know what those recipes would be, because I have little creativity.

yes i intended for that to rhyme.

1 hour ago, derplord said:

-snip-

What. The. F€£k. No, the entire point of the side quest is to make friends with her which is the biggest depart from the series where everything else wants to kill you, making a friend through helping her actually makes her interesting to interact with. If she could be killed at all for the pearl,it would ruin any sense of wprking for the reward that she has. It would make her like the rest of the mobs, killing the thing to get the reward, when she is suppose to be special and unique. Adding a "genocide" path would ruin any sense of originality that she had, forcing the player to care and support, then to dominate and reap.

1 hour ago, derplord said:

..you do horrible things to Pearl: You throw her messages into the fire, you burn down the trees, destroy the bee box and kill the bees, destroy the drying racks, planting lureplants, putting extra clutter in her water, and blowing up her house with gunpowder.

Yes, that generally in pubs is called griefing. And, generally still, is frown upon. Sure you can do so atm, and am sure you're a.. "wonderful" player if engaging in such behavior, a "pleasure" for all the pub to see and "cherish" (via the Kick and Ban buttons).

We already have a lot of nincompoops trolling servers, encouraging doing so on Hermit island by KLei of all people.. yeah, am sure will cultivate an even healthier atmosphere than already is (by not tackling griefing in any shape or form as KLei did for years now - ignoring the issue that is).

The route we already take with Pearl is downright cruel in and of itself.

Let me suggest the opposite route instead as a change. Perhaps we could, in a gesture of kindness, attempt to reason with Crab King instead, restore his sanity and bring him back home for extra rewards? Perhaps find a way to separate him from the Inactive Celestial Tribute? Bring Pearl over to him to jog his memory?

I know how impossible it sounds given how already far gone into madness Crab King already seems, and how it would run afoul of DST's dark motif, but at least to me that's going to be one happy ending in a world full of unending despair.

5 hours ago, TheHollowKnight said:

Then DST would be undertale.

Beat me to it!  I was JUST about to say "So, you want a Genocide route available, then."

Not that every time you have a choice to play a good or evil path in a game is automatically Undertale (Fable, Mass Effect and Dragon Age all say hi, for examples) but, ya know...this _is_ basically asking for the Genocide Route.  You want to turn Wendy/Webber into Chara and have them wonder where the knives are.  Got it.  There's being a jerk, and then clearing out an entire area SO thoroughly that the characters in the next area are afraid of you and run away and close their shops down preemptively.  If this was Hamlet, so it _had_ a proper NPC village...that's what would happen, if you acted this way during Pearl's quest.

In other words, I'm....thinking twice about inviting you to my next (nonexistent) party, derplord.  : P

It'd legit be kind of creepy-cool if the game was made in such a way that it could pick up on the tone of your actions and change its own atmosphere to match, though.  Like, cute and nice neutral creatures run and hide, the sky (lighting) gets darker, colours fade (but insanity already does that), the music turns _really_ slow, deep, and ominous...and upon speeding it way up in Audacity or something, we find out--GASP!--it was actually the Ragtime tune, all along!

Mind you, I'm not saying we should ACTUALLY implement that--it wouldn't fit Don't Starve's mechanics and such (and some of the characters have always been at least borderline between neutral and kinda evil, anyway.  Wilson forcing a bird to drink a potion in his profile picture, a lot of Wendy's quotes...).  But you get what I mean.

...Notorious

During the beta when I first arrived on her island I burned everything on the island I could to see if it produced any result...  I think the result was "I'm a Willow main and this is why I'm not allowed on public servers anymore."

Screenshot-133.png

...but...but I'm a responsible Willow...I _build things, rather than destroy...

(Sad Willow-Main pictorial rant ahead)

Spoiler

funkytonfall.thumb.png.8e63b943d32619c51aac8f2075c7c58b.png

Built this.  Funkyton, my pig village.  Notice all the fling-o-matics.

132ruinsfullview.thumb.png.9ca95aa87fb4a93acbe2ac0798c63605.png

The "Mystery Ruins Heritage Site".  (Since it was ruins, this one was _supposed_ to look messy from the get-go.  The burned trees are from summer, and the Antlion sinkholes are also part of the whole ruined look.)

museumaerialview.thumb.png.e1836c69657b53079c3d954e9c3bde20.png

The "King Ozymandias Memorial Musuem".  Built a total of THREE times because I kept messing up, and recovered from inordinate amounts of lightning strikes enough times to make me swear on a sign (not pictured, but it's the one by the lightning rod).  : P

I also built a Japanese sand garden, but that was with Walani so it wouldn't work with the whole "Willows can be responsible too" thing.

...and I also PLANT trees, not just burn them.

teamtrees.png.f4567bad67f9e8ec824a3c8776eb2d52.png

The origin of my beloved Road Trees.  Did you know, I actually did this on the same day as the #teamtrees thing?  :)

And LOOK how many days it's been without this burning down!

cleansweptcamp.thumb.png.24caa8c99e68c4a172358a364a4a33d0.png

(actually more now; I think it was about to turn Day 450 when I last logged out.)

Dammit the fact that that stereotype STILL persists makes me sad.

Anyway if I was gonna go Genocide Route in a DST server, I would never even consider _starting_ to do so except on a solo-player one.  It's always way more okay if you only mess up your OWN stuff.

...Notorious

17 hours ago, Toros said:

-1 from me, we shouldn’t reward players for being cruel to an npc who already has a tragic story with extra content.

I already refuse to kill glommer for a shot at a krampus sack.

But.. I kill Glommer all the time, Since I main Wendy.. I technically want the same things Wendy wants- And Wendy’s Quote for Examining that noisy annoying flying bug clearly shows She wants it DEAD! :D 

Yeah I don't know how to react to that one.  There isn't just ONE reaction icon which means:

1.  Thanks for the personal compliment to me, but...

2.  CURSE you for reinforcing the stereotype!

Seriously I've been fighting against that since 2016.  I'm really, really, really, really, REALLY tired of it...

Anyone can make a torch.

ANYONE CAN MAKE A TORCH.

Willow does _not_ automatically = griefer!

That is all.

But this isn't the place for that battle, so...

...Notorious

23 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah I don't know how to react to that one.  There isn't just ONE reaction icon which means:

Seriously I've been fighting against that since 2016.  I'm really, really, really, really, REALLY tired of it...

Anyone can make a torch.

ANYONE CAN MAKE A TORCH.

That is all.

...Notorious

So uhh yeah about that- Not sure how it is on PC but just today alone I had 2 out of 3 Willows who joined my game burn my base down.

Spoiler

I’m Not saying Willow is a bad character (that’s who I’m playing myself at the moment) I’m just saying Klei has done Willow no favors In NOT being Stereo-typed by this.

In Cooperative mode certain grieving features should be removed... and that just simply all there is to it.

On Minecraft I can host a world and then pick each individual player who joins my worlds server privileges.. If I TRUST someone not to burn my base down or blow my house away with TNT then they’ll have full access to fire spreading and Dynamite.

But If I DONT Trust someone (or just don’t want them tearing apart my world I’ve created) I can set the game so that they can only fight monsters and NOT blow my stuff up or set it on Fire.

Minecraft isn’t the best selling game ever of all time because it’s “Family Friendly” It’s That way BECAUSE I can Control the amount of grieving random people who join my worlds can do.

For DST to be a game about playing TOGETHER... why do I feel more comfortable playing ALONE or in a Password locked Server?

12 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Anyone can make a torch.

ANYONE CAN MAKE A TORCH.

That is all.

...Notorious

I've been playing with some friends for hundreds of hours, they usually play Uncle Maxwell or Little Wendy, and my friend for once in their lifetime tried Willow, in a ruins rush playthrough AND HE SCORCHED THE WHOLE EARTH! This has never happened ever!

Actually you know what- If you be mean to Pearl she should have an Animation where she takes the Pearl you need and throws it out into the ocean making it sink to the ocean floor, and THEN she should tell you to go board a ship called the Titanic and fetch it yourself.

How could you even think of being cruel to that sweet little old Hermit Lady?! :( 

1 hour ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Aren't you the one that was talking about mass genocide of npcs on @Moonatik's thread?

Yes, But it’s not like I want an intentionally cruel quest line for them or something.. 

I want to attempt to “Break” The so called “Unbreakable” if someone tells me there’s virtually no way of killing an NPC I’ll go out of my way to attempt everything I possibly can in doing it.

Your talking to someone who once went around the map on dead island and gathered as many propane tanks as I could find and load them into the back of a truck, Placement wise.. you could only put so many in it, but that sure as heck didn’t stop me from throwing more and more and MORE back there with the already “placed” ones, I then drove it into a gas station, bailed out and shot one of the propane tanks in the truck bed instantly killing a boss Zombie that had been troublesome to me.... but in the process- The game was never programmed to EVER handle all those explosions going off in the same area at once..

the results? The game froze not just for me... but Everyone who also happened to be playing with me at the time.

An Intentionally cruel quest line is the exact opposite of That-  your still playing the game the way it was programmed to be played, Rather you choose to be nice to the NPC’s or Cruel toward them.

Archived