• Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Warly
    • Wurt

While I Main Wendy... I HAVE played as every character In the game from time to time..  I even host “Wilderness” worlds where I will intentionally kill myself when bored for a change in pace.

As such- I think I can provide decent character Refresh Ideas without them being out of line of who the character is.. Keeping in mind that Klei will always have better ideas :) 

That in Mind.. I’ve started to actually play mostly characters who are already Refreshed that way I don’t get used to how they play NOW and then Klei changes them completely in the future like Woodie. I am NOT Saying the Changes they Made to Woodie were BAD- I’m just saying anyone who Main’d Woodie prior to his DST Refresh would’ve never expected him to gain new Transformations to become a fast fleeing Goose & a Large Base Destroying Moose. (Ive got a friend who charges my Structures as Moose Woodie, he thinks it’s funny anytime a full moon randomly transforms him into it.. it’s Almost Willow Lighter level Trolling.)

TL:DR I main as Wendy, I play as All.., But I do not actively play characters yet to be Refreshed..  Because that Refresh is Entirely Klei’s Call.

I main Wendy because when i first started, I had trouble with sanity so i chose Wendy to make myself survive longer in the dark, Abigail helped me with combat (i just tanked enemies) and getting the annoying butterflies. Now with the Wendy Rework I can kill things faster as Wendy and that just means more food or resources (which I am fine with).

In order, I went from Wilson, to Woodie, to Wickerbottom, to Wigfrid. However, I have played most characters at least once to try them out.

For Wilson, I'm a STEM major, and I've always liked his design. His somewhat obnoxious horn voice, tied in to the fact that his wikipedia explains he's a "terrible scientist", makes him very endearing to me, and somewhat relatable. I, too, would like to be a feral scientist in the woods. You'll have to pry his beard out of my cold, dead hands. 

For Woodie, I'm Canadian. He's entertaining to play, and the werebeaver, goose, and moose are fun to use. It's fun to try to decide what I'm going to do for each transformation to get a use out of it, rather than just wasting my stats for no reason. Also, his lore is interesting to me. Whoever or whatever Lucy is keeps me going. And I just remembered the other day his connection to Voxola on Winona's board, and I'm just dying to know what his connection is.

Wickerbottom needing only a science machine to access most crafting items is nice. Especially in SW, where getting gold can be tricky in the first few days if you can't find any. Her not sleeping and hating spoiled food doesn't really hinder me too much. 

Wigfrid is somewhat in the same boat as Wilson. I love her obnoxious, very processed brass horn voice, and just her general aesthetic. She's also a good alternative to Wolfgang for combat, and I can handle her meat only diet better. I also went through a viking phase when I was a teenager, so I'm drawn a lot to her. I mostly started playing her in DST first because I hadn't unlocked her yet in RoG, so I'm more used to how she plays in DST vs DS. 

Woodie, mainly because he has an infinite axe, acts similarly to me in real life, and the werebeaver was so funny to me.

Like seriously, the first time I ever played him I freaked out when he turned into a werebeaver; scared the Sh** out of me because I thought I did something wrong.

I have multiple mains, but I picked Wortox because I play him a lot on public servers. My other mains are Wilson, Wormwood, Maxwell and Wolfgang. All of them have a lot of entertaining and/or endearing dialogue, but Wortox's teleportation and healing abilities are just too handy and also I like playing as a slightly angsty demon because I'm goth. Wilson and Wormwood I mostly like for their personality/character design rather than their abilities, although Wormwood makes some really useful items and it's not like I mind planting 800 seeds in the base. Maxwell's shadows are fun for me to direct and manage, and it's very satisfying to just chug a pot of stew and grind enemies into the dirt as Wolfgang.

In singleplayer I also like to play Warly and Wheeler, but Warly's downsides are a little too daunting for me to use him on public servers where I don't know when I'll have to sit through winter splitting a limited food supply with four other people and not enough cold weather gear for any of us to go out and forage, and Wheeler's just plain unavailable most of the time.

I of course have characters I play more as now, but since I came up through singleplayer DS, I have of course played most of the major characters at least once each, whenever I unlocked another one (not counting Hamlet, as it didn't exist at the time).  Adventure Mode is EVIL INCARNATE however and I never managed to get all the stuff you need to free Woodlegs in one run of Shipwrecked, but other than him, Maxwell and Wes I played everybody as I unlocked them.  Because duh.  It's a new thing you just unlocked.  :)

To this day I still think the "unlock the characters over time based off of how noob-friendly/unfriendly they are to play" is a MUCH better idea than "HEY, EVERYBODY!  JUST PLAY WHOEVER WHENEVER, IN PUBLIC, WHOO!" but I get why DST is the way it is.

...Notorious

I have only played DST so i can't talk much about other games, besides my friend told me that he prefered DST due to playing with friends.
So ... my first character was Wigfrid , i always have admired the Ancient norse VIkings and their stories, so when i was reading what every character did, Wigfrid portrait was my call. Even more when i saw a female character, back in time you rarely saw games using female characters, specially Fps games.

From her aesthetic to her personality and quotes she caught my attention , imagine , i didn't even know their story and entering a strange world with a rare door with an eye made me dig deeper in the game. As you see i mentioned fps games, one of my favorites was half life, so i was very in tune with other worlds or realities, something it wasnt that common to see in games. 

When you hunt creatures like rabbits , maybe birds you are still wondering if its the real world till you see some differences. Pig king, houses and pigs, just like humans would build mini cities . Maybe not so advanced but they clearly aren't that stupid, this shocked me. Exploring DST lore without using wiki, even caves and ruins was first done with Wigfrid. Just when i read she actually wasn't a viking like i imagined not time traveled as a true Viking&Valkyrie but instead an actor using the method also was a big surprise. I actually tried to understand if something like that was possible, to keep playing in character when she saw more humans to avoid showing a worried version of herself or just... she wanted to really make everyone feel safe around her and keeping the viking character was the best option.

After that i played Wendy, since my friend played as her and wanted to explore her quotes. I think those 2 are my favorites by far, including Webber.

Proud Woodie main before and after Rework. I simply preferred him to Maxwell cuz' I loved his character, and the higher health appealed to me more, as I could take more hits for the team without shattering to dust.

Though I do "main" Woodie, I have loads of fun playing all of the characters from time to time. Especially Wendy after her rework, since I've always loved the "two characters in one" types, and Wendy with Abigail work perfect together. 

I love all the characters in this game, can't help but play each and every one from time to time. :D

I main Winona and I mained her even before her rework!

Tbh her gameplay fits me well. I usually prefer playing characters without damage modifier or special powers that make them really good, because for some dumb reason I always feel like I have to prove myself and beat all the bosses in the most square way possible. So that's why I started playing Winona at the beginning and since I haven't be able to go back.

I think I just mostly fell in love in her personality. I mostly play alone because I'm a little bit of a perfectionist I like having complete control on everything that's going on in the world. And that can feel a little lonely sometimes but Winona's fun and confident quotes always managed to cheer me up a lot.

Since then she had her rework and the catapults and all that kind of stuff I have been really happy! Playing her makes me feel great and I love all her skins!

If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick a vanilla character as my main, I'd choose Webber, because I adore playable scary monsters. Bonus points because I love spiders. Can't wait for his rework which is most likely the next one (May?)

In terms of practicality, I'd say at this point that I main my own mod character, SCP-049. Because of my long-term run with @GetNerfedOn, im playing him almost every time I load up DST nowadays. An absurdly powerful upside (Lethal touch) followed by a crippling downside (72% Runspeed) makes him feel oddly balanced in a min/max sort of way.
horde.thumb.png.411acdd57fb9e232cf462631e2ab5f0f.png

Archived