• Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Warly
    • Wurt

I usually play Wickerbottom, mostly due to the fact that i've got a decent amount of experience in early-game base building due to playing loads of public worlds on ps4. The fact that you can jump straight to Alchemy Engine without needing to build a science machine first makes setting up a base in the first few days super seamless. I can go from gathering to making an axe, 2 picks, a hammer and I can run through a forest and some rocks and have a full base with farms, alchemy, magic, crock pots and a birdcage before day 7 pretty reliably now. Makes early game carrying super fun and easy thanks to her books too. When everybody has resources, it makes setting up a new world a BREEZE. Only thing that'll suck is when they rework her since it'll probably disrupt my flow...

I quite enjoy Maxwell. Sanity management is super easy with him, his puppets make gathering basic resources a breeze, and his low health gives quite a good amount of challenge. I also enjoy how he provides a lot more insight into the world with his quotes. As a resource hoarder, lore nerd and experienced player, all of Maxwell's traits are a perfect fit for me.

Although lately I have been playing Warly quite a bit. He's a pretty good solo character due to the versatility of his special foods and spices.

Wigfrid is my GIRL tbh. I love her umlauts, and how she gains health when fighting. It's just really fun to tank things with her. Also, she eats so much meat, me and my iron deficiency are in awe of her...she'd rather starve to death than eat a meat free meal, now THAT'S dedication. Ironically I'm a vegetarian lmao

I main Willow
(And probably Wendy now)
Because I like characters who have a supporting character that battle for them and help with fighting mobs
Such as Bernie helping with shadows and bigger mobs with his large health pool and damage.

But I may main Wendy as well now because of being able to control Abigail much easier
along with being able to have Abigail out whenever you want.

For now, I'm trying to make Warly be helpful on his own unique way in the early game.  So I've been spamming him a lot (for a long while now) and trying to rush things only he has. Unless you have all the stars aligned, with a Wicker, Wormwood and a lake near base, he will be a Wilson. The only saving grace is his honey crystals if there is a good Woodie. Rushing farms to sustain even totally 1-2 person is awful, can't imagine how people do that, too many things for only so much inventory slots and then you play some RNG game. One good thing is being able to mass produce food without having to queue up to use the crockpot on a heavy populated server. And glow berry recipe is a really good convenience for ruins, better yet if there is some other character better suited to rushing it. One last thing is when Wigfrids ask for meatballs early game, since they can sometimes struggle with it.

But I don't really have a main, just ones that I rarely play like Wendy, Webber, WX (hate his walking noise) and Wes (exception for when I'm hosting a server, him being mute comes in handy for certain situations).

Wickerbottom - Just because she is so versatile and can do so many things, if i play almost any other character it feels like there's just so much less that you can do, once i gave her a try, i just  couldn't leave her.

Woody is a character i started playing a lot after rework, he is also really versatile now.

I don't really pick characters for their lore as to me it seems they are all unique and have interesting enough story, i try to pick them for their abilities in game, if they are suitable for my playstyle or i find them interesting.

Wx, Woodie, Wortox are my main picks when i play on public servers, usually to help people out. Rushing ruins as Wx and bringing back to base powerful gear to help people out, Woodie to get alot of wood and rush to lunar and get alot of stone fruit bushes, Wortox to help with boss fights or just heal people up if they need it. Other than that i don't think i really have a ,,main".

wigfrid all the way!! 

i used to experiment an awful lot in singleplayer don't starve, but all of the characters' skills that i have tried just didn't seem to click with me. 

i eventually started playing as wigfrid and willow just before i purchased dst, and just kind of... continued with her, and left willow behind at some point.  :'D

reasons why i main her:

- helmets and spears for everyone!! 

- vEri strOnK (hunting is probably my favourite part of dst). 

- gains health and sanity when she fights, so i don't lose time making flower crowns. 

- her voice file is amazing. although it may seem a tad annoying at first, you just learn to love it over time.

- even though i have played over 350 hours, i still haven't learned all the dishes, as i mostly focused on "meaty" ones from the start, so cooking stuff for her isn't really an issue. 

occassionally, i play as wes (because he's adorable!! not to mention that i love clowns, mimes, jesters and pierrots in general ❤️) and have recently been experimenting with maxwell. turns out that playing as wig has its perks - without experiencing all these hunts and boss fights i wouldn't have had the kiting ability to survive as those two. 

I can't really say I main 1 character, sorry.  I main willow and wes.

Willow - because I like little girl characters, and teddy bears.  I don't know where along the lines they decided she wasn't a little girl, but she will always be a little girl to me.  Just like Annie in League of Legends.

Wes - I like clowns.  I remember when I first unlocked Wes in DS.  Unlocking him was the primary reason I played adventure mode.  I was very excited when I found his set piece.  His complete lack of any upside really resonated with me as I shy away from most of the cast because I don't like feeling dependent on their advantages.

I main Wendy because I love how simple her gameplay is. It's not a character made to be super powerful, but it has a different and unique way of playing, which I never get tired of. Playing alongside your beloved sister, one helping and caring for the other at all times, is really cool.

The history of their past also arouses a lot of curiosity, since I am a lover of lores.

And the final reason... they are very cute. :D

Wicker was my first "main", namely because she was the objective best character. she had early science, which is a hard to come by resource, and she could craft books in the late game. after most of the reworks i started playing other characters, mostly so i could win as any character in the same way my friend who is arse at dont starve could kick my arse at smash bros....small victories people..small victories are where it's at....god damn it john

I already played with most of the characters, only Woodlegs and Wilba are missing, I intend to play with Wagstaff when I play adventure mode again.

I liked Willow very much because of his lighter and Wickerbotton because of his knowledge.

At the time for me to win the game meant unlocking all the recipes and knowing how to play with all the characters.

As I still had a lot of difficulty, I decided to play with Wes so that I could improve in the game and consequently become good with each character.

But after I got tired of looking at Wes's face, I tried to play with others and realized that I found them very boring then, I became a main Wes.

Sometimes playing with other characters is never the same "thing" ... at least not when you start a new world.

Spoiler

I am not a pro-player, I often die of anxious, greedy, impolsive behavior and not standing still when I am going to fight a Terrorbeak before it even appears. (Teleport)

But lately I get bored and delete the world or I regenerate a new world several times, but I can't play ...

36 minutes ago, Wesbie said:

I already played with most of the characters, only Woodlegs and Wilba are missing, I intend to play with Wagstaff when I play adventure mode again.

I liked Willow very much because of his lighter and Wickerbotton because of his knowledge.

At the time for me to win the game meant unlocking all the recipes and knowing how to play with all the characters.

As I still had a lot of difficulty, I decided to play with Wes so that I could improve in the game and consequently become good with each character.

But after I got tired of looking at Wes's face, I tried to play with others and realized that I found them very boring then, I became a main Wes.

Sometimes playing with other characters is never the same "thing" ... at least not when you start a new world.

Hide contents

I am not a pro-player, I often die of anxious, greedy, impolsive behavior and not standing still when I am going to fight a Terrorbeak before it even appears. (Teleport)

But lately I get bored and delete the world or I regenerate a new world several times, but I can't play ...

terrorbeaks are no match! when there's 1 of them.. bait their attack but be fast to "move" then whack it with a hambat.. trust me you haven't lived until you have had 4 terrorbeaks on your back, and like 15 shadow-splumonkeys hunt you down... 

On 3/21/2020 at 3:48 AM, Charlie Dark said:

I'm just gonna leave this here, it's accurate as well

6n7nmjck41b21.png

--Oh come on, I put my lighter away SOMEtimes!  ;)

--Does this look like a burned-down forest to you?

082bonkersforest.png.2defdf76d5991195b858ab419d994c12.png

--Always stuck in wimpy form (as Wolfgang) YES...that's me...guilty as charged.

--(WX) Steals your gears on Day 6 YES GOD DAMMIT YOU ROBOT !@#$% I WAS SAVING THAT FOR A FLING-O-MATIC!  You...little...

In _really_ bad cases, you might get "I'M the lightning rod!" and then his greed to activate his individual special ability BURNS DOWN THE BASE.  Not talking about anyone in particular, MATHAS...

--The ENTIRE Woodie thing is true as anything can true.  XD  I know someone who mains Woodie, and in my first world that went past 200 days, he filled (and made) chests with 1,000 logs just to see if he could and died ALL THE TIME to shadow monsters.  Like always.  That was his thing.  Chopping and insanity-dying.

--(Wigfrid) I dunno about other Wigfriders, but _I_ pick carrots as filler, or as food for other players...

--The third one about Wes is the one we've all seen the most often, be honest.  : P

--(Webber) YES...and I've seen classic examples of this too.  In Stumpt's last DST thingie, there was a part where somebody put a pig house WAY too close to camp (_in_ camp) and Price, who usually plays Webber, was running around frantically in circles all night going "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?  WHY WOULD YOU BUILD THAT _HERE_?  WHY DID YOU MOVE IT _CLOSER_?!  GET IT AWAY!!"

Personally I also don't like pigs THAT close to the center of camp either, because they eat every food-ish thing you briefly drop on the ground while inventory-juggling....and full moons.  

--Winona:  Guilty as charged; I have yet to play her properly either.  : P

On 3/21/2020 at 8:50 AM, Charlie Dark said:

Btw, I'm currently using a 

Hide contents

Charlie 

character mod. I love it, I just can't wait until she becomes official one day.. hopefully 

EEEEEE is it the Stranger New Powers one? Is it?  'Cos I've used that, and it's super fun!

charlieinpink.png.6727a6a2e94be8c44dffd325a6855394.pngwhosehandsarethose.png.ce5e68dcaf084ecf5fd88bd94edd8d22.png\

Ummm...considering I'M supposed to be the shadow-creature around here...whose hands are those?  Bob!  Bob the Intern!  I've TOLD you about doing stuff like this, Bob!

But anyway yeah, I've played a bunch of characters, and for some reason I keep coming back to the female ones.  Maybe it's because they're all pretty much "Strong Character:  Female", rather than the Hollywood stereotype STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER (even Wigfrid)?  Maybe it's just the feel of playing in this harsh survival setting and starting from nothing, then building and making stuff to survive, that makes me want to play as someone with the same (virtual) chromosomes as me?  Maybe it's because they each have their own fun personality?

But yeah I've played at least a decent amount of time with most of the ladies, including

winterforest.thumb.png.33fd6a436d6d64a3f8d5a7566f21e41e.png

Wigfrid, whom I would consider my secondary (official) main...  This is one of my favourite shots from my old defunct world that died because glitch, "Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave" (or rather that was the name of the base).  It's so pretty and atmospheric.

Wigfrid is oddly pagan-feminist from a world that was probably only around 1920s-ish when she was slurped from it into the Constant, and honestly seems to actually CARE about nature and the environment...even while she's hunting it down to eat it.  I love that adorably odd juxtaposition, and I love her.  :)  I've also played as her a decent amount in regular DS.

Oh and the badassery/starting with armour and a weapon already doesn't hurt.  : P

forgewickercircle.png.73d08ad73cf2634f8a239543613693cc.png

And Wickerbottom, whom I have yet to EVER actually play the way you're supposed to play her.  (Well, in my defense, part of that involves also having a WX around and I tend to play solo.)  The wise and tough old lady who STILL has more life in her than you might think, ya whippersnapper! also appeals to me.  She was the only one to survive and build a base successfully in my "Megarandom" experiment world too (which is where this picture is from--the world, not the base), so make of that what you will.

I also often have my hair in a bun and wear glasses, but that's just a coincidence I swear.  Heh.

imcominabigail.png.62c034978d3d153f8a0e3b2ec5e6bf87.png

Wendy, whom you can see I'm doing REALLY well as right here...

Wendy I don't play as as often, but when I do feel like letting my spookier, Halloweeny side out, she's there.  I think the fact that she's SO popular among the Nobody Understands Me I'm'a Go Listen to Linkin Park! teenage girl crowd in DST might be part of what's making me not play as her as much...but also how I used to always lose Abigail on tentacles and then have to go back into a massive swamp to get her flower, when there was group-helping stuff for the base to do.  After the rework, however...

(and yes, I have started a new world just for post-rework Wendy and Abby.  I just haven't posted any pictures from it yet..here.  I have on Steam.  :))

winonassummervacation.png.48f6e58bce9cd1f3c337c96b99daa0a8.png

Winona (seen here in my mostly-desert modded world), whom I also have yet to play properly...

The Reason Why I Like This Character is a lot simpler on this one:  She's tough, practical and ungirly.  I've been a grumpy loner tomboy my entire life (the "tough" part is extremely debateable, however) and weirdly enough, WAY long ago I made up a paper-and-dice RPG character who was _scarily_ like Winona.  She wore loose clothes and plain hair and no makeup because she just wanted to be the engineer and get things fixed, dammit.  That's also kinda me IRL.  :)

And, even though she's not an OFFICIAL DST character (yet?) I've also played quite a lot as...

dstcivday57cherriesandapples.png.d21171a21ec9e696a57493755ad4da21.png

Walani!  Seen here from the early days of my "March of Civilization" challenge, I played as her for several iterations of this (the "several" was mainly due to my being stupid, or odd glitches, since the game was in frequent-update mode at the time), the longest one going almost to day 400.  I think that counts as a decent amount of playtime, and so I _kinda_ consider her my actual secondary main.

But, of course, in my heart of hearts, my one and only TRUE main will always be...

thisisfine.png.a1d683879e17c800de13ea076224fdae.png

Willow!  :)  She was my main back when I started on regular DS (without RoG first, so I could get used to it, THEN I bought the expansion pack), she was the one I watched all through Sips' oddly cozy playthrough, and she was the one who first introduced me to what some of the stuff in DS even was.   

And her actual character--she starts with an awesome lighter, which is what makes me play as her once, but what keeps me coming _back_ his her adorably snarky personality.  Like, EVERYthing she says is at least a little bit funny.  She seems like somebody I would get along with, the slightly-weirder girl in a group of already misfits sitting at the nerd table together in high school, quoting "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "The Princess Bride" at each other in funny voices, discussing our D&D characters, and cracking each other up...she'd be the one off to the side randomly singing Christmas carols to herself in May because why not.

(This may or may not be EXACTLY a real group I was a part of in real high school.  : P  I wasn't the singing one though.)

And before you say anything, yes this is a burning forest--but it's a SOLO WORLD and I did it for the "This is fine" meme!  : P

...Notorious

I know, I just like to make jokes about some other idiot shadow-person filling in for Charlie while she's out adventuring.  : P  

And yeah, SOME people can be dangerous as Willow...but not all and the stereotype (and the fact that it STILL exists!) still makes me sad...I think it's mainly brand-new Willow players, who read the description and are like "BWAHAHAHAA!!"  The ones who calm down later on but _keep_ playing as her, are the okay ones.

Me, I use my long-lasting lighter to help people escape from a huge swamp in the dead of night without being offed by tentacles, but that's just me.

(AND, I also like to use it to make the Stagehand follow me back to base so I can then freak out new arrivals, okay, fine... XD)

...Notorious

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I know, I just like to make jokes about some other idiot shadow-person filling in for Charlie while she's out adventuring.  : P  

And yeah, SOME people can be dangerous as Willow...but not all and the stereotype (and the fact that it STILL exists!) still makes me sad...I think it's mainly brand-new Willow players, who read the description and are like "BWAHAHAHAA!!"  The ones who calm down later on but _keep_ playing as her, are the okay ones.

Me, I use my long-lasting lighter to help people escape from a huge swamp in the dead of night without being offed by tentacles, but that's just me.

(AND, I also like to use it to make the Stagehand follow me back to base so I can then freak out new arrivals, okay, fine... XD)

...Notorious

you are evil :O! the stagehand can be terrifying.. I once completely forgot that it follows fire at night and I was with my torch and almost jumped off my chair.. when I heard that creepy musicbox like sound and it following me in the dark plus you may have a good point there, since she's a "queen" she may have someone to fill the role of the shadow monster or other hallucinations.. who knows? 

Yeah.  :)  One time I went to greet someone at the portal and was like "Don't go anywhere, I'm coming!" because it was night...and honestly forgot the stupid thing was following me UNTIL the other person started skittering off jumping in terror.  XD  Later on, I did that on PURPOSE once to see if I'd get the same reaction. It did.  

HowEVer...the Stagehand can also be useful, even lifesaving at times!  Once, I had a base that was fairly near a swamp.  Not the main part, but my tooth traps were real close (but not so close a stray tentacle could getcha).  I went off into the swamp to explore/gather stuff, and underestimated just how HUGE it was and got stuck out there at nightfall.

With Merms chasing me from ALL over, only a tiny lighter-light to see by, and no way to safely check the map, I just flung myself in what I HOPED was the right direction...and then I heard "ding-dinga ding ding" and saw skittering shadow-legs.  The Stagehand!   I had left it at the tooth traps last night, so if it was close enough to "see" my flame, that meant...I WAS going the right direction!  Now I knew where home was!

Those Merms followed me onto the tooth traps, and made delicious fishsticks and froggle bunwiches.  :D

Really though I just like the idea of a creepy-but-harmless thing (it's an aesthetic that Don't Starve in general is VERY good at).  "Table" (as I have decided Willow would probably call it) has been a part of Starvania ever since the first time I came up with that name (in...ooh, early 2017?  Year of the Gobbler) and so ever since then I've made a point of making sure I lure it back to base at some point.  It's the decoration that rearranges itself!  : P

You can often see it in pictures of my current base, in fact:

086serenetraps.png.0efba157343d4315d940e99118d55d98.png

Heh.  : P

...Notorious

15 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah.  :)  One time I went to greet someone at the portal and was like "Don't go anywhere, I'm coming!" because it was night...and honestly forgot the stupid thing was following me UNTIL the other person started skittering off jumping in terror.  XD  Later on, I did that on PURPOSE once to see if I'd get the same reaction. It did.  

HowEVer...the Stagehand can also be useful, even lifesaving at times!  Once, I had a base that was fairly near a swamp.  Not the main part, but my tooth traps were real close (but not so close a stray tentacle could getcha).  I went off into the swamp to explore/gather stuff, and underestimated just how HUGE it was and got stuck out there at nightfall.

With Merms chasing me from ALL over, only a tiny lighter-light to see by, and no way to safely check the map, I just flung myself in what I HOPED was the right direction...and then I heard "ding-dinga ding ding" and saw skittering shadow-legs.  The Stagehand!   I had left it at the tooth traps last night, so if it was close enough to "see" my flame, that meant...I WAS going the right direction!  Now I knew where home was!

Those Merms followed me onto the tooth traps, and made delicious fishsticks and froggle bunwiches.  :D

Really though I just like the idea of a creepy-but-harmless thing (it's an aesthetic that Don't Starve in general is VERY good at).  "Table" (as I have decided Willow would probably call it) has been a part of Starvania ever since the first time I came up with that name (in...ooh, early 2017?  Year of the Gobbler) and so ever since then I've made a point of making sure I lure it back to base at some point.  It's the decoration that rearranges itself!  : P

You can often see it in pictures of my current base, in fact:

086serenetraps.png.0efba157343d4315d940e99118d55d98.png

Heh.  : P

...Notorious

plus the stage hand is totally a reference to charlie, she was maxwell's "stage-assistant" and the thing that is hiding under the end table doesn't want to be seen 

Archived