Decorations, Shrines and Base Designs

divider.png.785471873cc3a20aeb88be5edbdb32ad.png

Hey guys! So I started a new thread called Weekly Creative Builds Challenge which is where I'll be posting a theme each week and then building around that theme. For those who would like to join in on it or keep up with the builds I do, here is the post:

divider.png.785471873cc3a20aeb88be5edbdb32ad.png

The theme for this week is Alice in Wonderland and so far these are the designs I came up with~

1.thumb.png.dc013cae82158fcc5fb8a4b0cae80331.png3.thumb.png.5fcca2a3effa9dc542c1256086a3d8ff.png2.thumb.png.4c67c593a709f7b391f9072960d82a32.png4.thumb.png.5ba29cf4fa9b022759153a0d7b9325ec.png5.thumb.png.adaebbb68b49f0aec0743bb9d043e182.png6.thumb.png.f07cb27856850b1052e1595005f35489.png873249544_Screenshot(190).thumb.png.b1478da741bc921bd1852fe36f444c5b.png1601457873_Screenshot(171).thumb.png.00453e56a4b2bda16b2b52cab0e0a22a.png

Cool oasis base me and some people on public server vanilla survival i think made. Fence idea from another person, but I made the flooring.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 10.56.33 AM.png

Not complete but wood would go in the empty spots. had to leave though since I gtg now :( 

Edit: reminds me of a four-leaf clover :D 

51 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

Dragonfly Arena!

image.thumb.png.6f2cad9f434f80098756a65c9749044e.png

It's pretty but not very functional. If you attempt to fight dragon in those corridors you will boil alive in all seasons - between Larvae and N Furnaces I think overheating will end you quicker than DF could. Also when Dragon will enrage, it will smash all your walls on the spot doing its ground-slam. Imo would be better to place Scaled Floor in 2x2 tile formations around/under Lava Pits and encase those areas with Thule Walls so as to have Larvae isolated. And in rest of space make at least patches of Cobblestone - helps in kiting DF. You can go with general desolate area theme of desert via Sandy Turf, punctured by irregular patches of Cave Rock Turf where you can place Stone Walls, Fossils, Replica Relics like some ruins on sands - 2-3 such randomly placed "Ruins" zones would do (so as to not overcrowd). More so, try going at these designs with Wabi-sabi principles in mind, as bilateral or radial symmetry gets old rather quick as appealing goes.

Just now, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

It's pretty but not very functional. If you attempt to fight dragon in those corridors you will boil alive in all seasons - between Larvae and N Furnaces I think overheating will end you quicker than DF could. Also when Dragon will enrage, it will smash all your walls on the spot will do its ground-slam. Imo would be better to place Scaled Floor in 2x2 tile formations around/under Lava Pits and encase those areas with Thule Walls so as to have Larvae isolated. And in rest of space make at least patches of Cobblestone - helps in kiting DF. You can go with general desolate area theme of desert via Sandy Turf, punctured by irregular patches of Cave Rock Turf where you can place Stone Walls, Fossils, Replica Relics like some ruins on sands - 2-3 such randomly placed "Ruins" zones would do (so as to not overcrowd). More so, try going at these designs with Wabi-sabi principles in mind, as bilateral or radial symmetry gets old rather quick as appealing goes.

the corridor is mostly so you can just go in and draw aggro, then lead her outside the main build. the point where she loses aggro is right here

image.thumb.png.847839433cdd42f0a0c29dfdd2399ebb.png

but i personally kite her on the path that you see. also, it is more than just aesthetic since the furnaces mess up the lavae's pathing, so they try to go through the wall but the furnaces block them.

As for the "dfly destroying the walls", i just panflute her, and as for the overheating, im far enough away to not overheat. it is really great for winter though, being on the interior of the shrine makes your temperature rise like 1 per second

I've been experimenting with a design I made up, but I feel like it's both missing something and I don't love the placement of the structures personally. Any suggestions on how to improve this? This is one of my first real attempts at trying to make something and I plan on making this separate from my summer base.

22990810_DSTBaseDesign1(Woodie).thumb.png.50d3344035f81036c7563f7ccf0b6eca.png

7 minutes ago, reichull said:

988619020_Screenshot(481).png.a364a0dbced05807d1921bdbc5c1c043.png

Ahhh you're the same guy who critiqued my designs on my steam profile. So funny. You mentioned something about my bushes on my carpet and mold. Baha! 

image0.thumb.png.f430fff33f12cf3614a31d329c1d4493.png

Back-handed compliments and unwanted opinions are yucky stinky.

This thread is for decorations and designs, not particularly functionality.

:wilson_ill:

And I stick by my comments, here and on Steam. The strange thing to me is why you seem rather irritated by anything aside compliments. Were suggestions. You can consider them or gloss over. Likewise for anyone else. I do appreciate your current thread, more so the initiative, likewise the "Theme of the Weak" or what is called - is something rather interesting as opposed to more-or-less the same we can see around here.

Also "Back-handed compliments and unwanted opinions are yucky stinky." is quite an immature/child-like reply.

12 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

And I stick by my comments, here and on Steam. The strange thing to me is why you seem rather irritated by anything aside compliments. Were suggestions. You can consider them or gloss over. Likewise for anyone else. I do appreciate your current thread, more so the initiative, likewise the "Theme of the Weak" or what is called - is something rather interesting as opposed to more-or-less the same we can see around here.

Also "Back-handed compliments and unwanted opinions are yucky stinky." is quite an immature/child-like reply.

I get rather irritated by condescending toxic comments, yes. I think they're unnecessary and rude. Klei won't allow me to say exactly what I want to say, the guidelines forbid it- so yucky stinky it is. May I suggest, maybe, perhaps- post some of your own designs on this thread or don't post at all.

5 minutes ago, reichull said:

I get rather irritated by condescending toxic comments, yes. I think they're unnecessary and rude. Klei won't allow me to say exactly what I want to say, the guidelines forbid it- so yucky stinky it is. May I suggest, maybe, perhaps- post some of your own designs on this thread or don't post at all.

If those replies of mine, which I assure you are neutral observations, you see as "condescending toxic comments" then I suppose irl will be a quite the shocker for you. Oh well, these days seems anything but flamboyant apologetics is "toxic". Carry on, back to topic.

2 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Carry on, back to topic.

Will do!

image.thumb.png.6113cd9e6eb7fcffc504d9798985dfcd.png

This is my main base in my current DST world, but I don't know what to put in the two areas that aren't the kitchen or clothing area. does anyone have any suggestions?

and before you say "get rid of the science machine and prestihatitator" i will state that I left them there completely intentionally, for decoration.

1 minute ago, Blue Moth said:

Will do!

This is my main base in my current DST world, but I don't know what to put in the two areas that aren't the kitchen or clothing area. does anyone have any suggestions?

love you blue!!

how about some scaled chests and some ruins stuff around the skeleton? 

1 minute ago, reichull said:

love you blue!!

how about some scaled chests and some ruins stuff around the skeleton? 

good suggestions, although i've already got like a million scaled chests in my dfly area and the skeleton was mostly just kinda put there just because i had the fossils lying around, although i could still do the ruins stuff if there's no other functional things i could build in.

22 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If those replies of mine, which I assure you are neutral observations, you see as "condescending toxic comments" then I suppose irl will be a quite the shocker for you. Oh well, these days seems anything but flamboyant apologetics is "toxic". Carry on, back to topic.

1. You are literally being condescending about being condescending.
2. Real life can suck, yeah! Which is why one of the cool things about videogames is that they're an escape from real life. So when talking about them online, it's a really polite thing to do to try and not go out of your way to be as rude to people as you possibly can, and especially to not get offended by someone not liking your tone and then proceeding to explain why you are being "neutral" in an incredibly condescending and not-at-all-neutral way.
3. If you see it as a ridiculous thing for people to be labeled "toxic" for acting needlessly rude on the internet, you should probably step back and think about what that says about you, the one seemingly defending people acting needlessly rude on the internet.
4. "let's get back on topic" is not a cheat code to get the last word in on argument and then make anyone who continues it look bad for being off-topic.

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

1. You are literally being condescending about being condescending.
2. Real life can suck, yeah! Which is why one of the cool things about videogames is that they're an escape from real life. So when talking about them online, it's a really polite thing to do to try and not go out of your way to be as rude to people as you possibly can, and especially to not get offended by someone not liking your tone and then proceeding to explain why you are being "neutral" in an incredibly condescending and not-at-all-neutral way.
3. If you see it as a ridiculous thing for people to be labeled "toxic" for acting needlessly rude on the internet, you should probably step back and think about what that says about you, the one seemingly defending people acting needlessly rude on the internet.
4. "let's get back on topic" is not a cheat code to get the last word in on argument and then make anyone who continues it look bad for being off-topic.

That's your subjective interpretation and exaggeration - and further off-topic. Read again from where all this "internet drama" started and by whom, out of the blue. And what were exactly the comments - you can plainly see them in the images above. And, of course, who might be overreacting. At most one can say my observations are, like yours, personal interpretations, opinions and move on. But from "in future perhaps you'll also try some more Waby-sabi approaches as opposed to radial symmetry, they seem even more naturally pleasing to the eye" and "Seeing plants seemingly growing out of carpets makes me think at.. old, moldy, and partially rotten tapestry for those plants to be able to take root and grow from them. Makes a rather weird combination imo. Thus yes, I don't fancy plants on carpets, heh." to "an incredibly condescending" assertion or "acting needlessly rude".. way to go! And yes, these days certain people get offended by almost anything from nowhere really, by the smallest of things. See Reichull's reaction with "you a hater" (quite the extreme term to use) to basically 3 neutral words of pondering. Youth these days seem to see offenses on... all proverbial fences ;)

For further discussions and whatnot, pls use PM. We don't need to go on tangents even more.

I agree they way over-reacted and are mostly in the wrong here but one thing I think I should say is thst there is a culture surrounding art related things where someone with critisism of something will ask the creator if they accept constructive criticism over it, and if they say no then you just kind of move on.

8 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

Any suggestions on how to do a good-looking kitchen? I wanted to make something different from the "Crockpots surrounding a Fridge" design, but I'm having trouble with ideas for it.

That's both sad and funny haha i was working on a video for youtube on different kitchen design and never got to finish it (i should probably go back to that at some point) but here's a few screenshot that i have to inspire you 20200803015717_1.thumb.jpg.4e70a358a20e75ffc6b1c6d74e073f2f.jpg20200803015806_1.thumb.jpg.e7827e032ada86cf0fe8e02e646d4c98.jpg20200804145335_1.thumb.jpg.0070af0c86190138f7a192aed450f38e.jpg20200804224251_1.thumb.jpg.a25e1ad65544e743a3cbe727b8a4b966.jpg

2 minutes ago, Warlockadamm said:

20200803015806_1.thumb.jpg.e7827e032ada86cf0fe8e02e646d4c98.jpg

this one makes me want black beans and rice, yum!

3 hours ago, Blue Moth said:

Will do!

and before you say "get rid of the science machine and prestihatitator" i will state that I left them there completely intentionally, for decoration.

why not have a 'bone yard' in the beef skele side and do a set of multi-skinned chests in the other?

Is there a guide on building the absolutely beautiful walls and fences you guys are posting? I tried to and I just can't ever get them to connect in a way that feels natural...I notice you guys tend to use stone walls for fences on the corners and such, any tips you could share to get on the level you guys are on?

Also, is there a good turf guide? I see a lot of nuanced turf in the builds you all are posting, they're insanely good and all I can really do is just smash a single turf all throughout a generic area of my base and seeing these awesome builds is inspiring me to give actual decoration a try.

7 hours ago, cropo said:

Is there a guide on building the absolutely beautiful walls and fences you guys are posting? I tried to and I just can't ever get them to connect in a way that feels natural...I notice you guys tend to use stone walls for fences on the corners and such, any tips you could share to get on the level you guys are on?

Also, is there a good turf guide? I see a lot of nuanced turf in the builds you all are posting, they're insanely good and all I can really do is just smash a single turf all throughout a generic area of my base and seeing these awesome builds is inspiring me to give actual decoration a try.

You could start on checking the wiki for full turf-priority:

Testing with 7x7 turf, a common turf design that cover one full flingomatic range.

You can notice wooden/thulecite/grass wall go really well with walnut skin, rock/moon rock wall go well with white painted or pipe skin fence. Fence and wall can be rotate to place in hexagon design or corporate with statues for a circular look. Some people also use smashed wall for a decor in conner/entrance of the base.

13 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

-snip-

I don’t mind constructive criticism or suggestions when I’m asking for advice but- You were being condescending and no body asked. I just don’t want any negative energy or toxic vibes and if that’s me overreacting and being dramatic, eh, I’m cool with it. That behavior isn’t welcomed and my fear is your hatred is going to discourage people from posting. Please don’t reply to this post again unless you have some designs you would like to share. Thank you. 

Archived