Oil to petroleum cooking without volcano

What the heck is wrong with the search function?  I'm sure there are threads out there on this but searching for Petroleum gives only like 2 results and "oil cooker" finds a bunch of spam from 2013.  I don't have a volcano on the map so has anyone been able to use say, metal/glass refineries to cook large quantities of oil into petroleum?  Possibly by melting regolith into magma first to gain extra heat from that?

Google will give you best result I think. Try with both oil or petroleum into the search bar.

Then I know there's a syntax I cannot remember, asking google to do the search only into Klei's forum, in place of this forum search tool. Hope someone here will be able to give it to you.

Ahh I found this:

If I melt molten steel and use that as refinery coolant, I calculate that I should only have to make 14 more batches of steel in the refinery to melt 7360 kg of sedimentary rock at 926 C, at which point it turns into 1410 C magma.  That's 4 tiles of magma.  Using that as the heat source in this contraption should last for several hundred cycles.  By then I surely will have a thermium AT and supercoolant.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Ahh I found this:

If I melt molten steel and use that as refinery coolant, I calculate that I should only have to make 14 more batches of steel in the refinery to melt 7360 kg of sedimentary rock at 926 C, at which point it turns into 1410 C magma.  That's 4 tiles of magma.  Using that as the heat source in this contraption should last for several hundred cycles.  By then I surely will have a thermium AT and supercoolant.

Unless you have some absurdly effective heat exchanger, I doubt they’ll last that long. 

Wait, did magma pumps using naptha get broken when they added visco-gel?

5 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

Unless you have some absurdly effective heat exchanger, I doubt they’ll last that long. 

I calculated assuming the crude only gets pre-heated to 375 C in the heat exchanger, and you heat it to 410 C from there.  According to Saturnus in that thread, there's only a 26 C delta between the incoming oil and outgoing petrol, and the temp sensors make sure that the oil is pre-heated to 390 C and petrol only to 405 C, so it should work even better.  I also assumed that the magma would cool to 500 C before the system shut down.

1kg crude @ 375 -> 1kg petroleum @ 410: 106,960 DTUs
7360 kg sedimentary rock @ 25 -> @ 926: 1,326 mDTUs or 14 batches of steel
7360 kg magma @ 1409 -> @ 500: 6,690 mDTUs

6,690 mDTUs / 106.960 kDTUs = 62,546 seconds or 104 cycles.  I suppose if you were trying to go the full 10 kg/s then it would only last for 10 cycles.  With only 3.3 kg/s from one oil well it would be 31 cycles.  Or 61,000 kg of oil.  That should fuel plenty of rocket launches to get space materials.

Well, there were a few little pockets of unexplored space on the map that I finally got around to and it turns out they were hiding both a gold volcano and an iron volcano ( on opposite ends of the map ), as well as a NG vent finally, and a second hydrogen vent.  I guess I'll have to try to use those to make petroleum cookers.

Well nevermind... the metal geysers output is hot but such a small volume that the total heat is much less than a single metal refine.  It looks like you only get about 5-10 kg per cycle, which makes me wonder if it's even worth opening the thing up.  I get much more than that falling from the sky.

Use a rocket for heat-source instead. 

Close to unlimited power, and that for a fraction of petrol cost compared to a single petrol generator. 

2 rockets, who fly to the nearest planet, will use a total of 0,421kg of petrol / second. (1 genny uses 2kg / second.)

And that's if they are able to lift of the moment they land, which they obviously can't. 

20191021194604_1.thumb.jpg.82bdf35fb027649c98f4df9e0b21c2bc.jpg

20191019164321_1.thumb.jpg.76e79025e3dfc93eb82aa58d0c4f5bef.jpg

20191026091017_1.thumb.jpg.f7bb4cdd0f346afb04c9b0d3fc7f9085.jpg

On 27/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, psusi said:

What the heck is wrong with the search function?  I'm sure there are threads out there on this but searching for Petroleum gives only like 2 results and "oil cooker" finds a bunch of spam from 2013.  I don't have a volcano on the map so has anyone been able to use say, metal/glass refineries to cook large quantities of oil into petroleum?  Possibly by melting regolith into magma first to gain extra heat from that?

10 Kg / sec -> 5 generators continuous

petro1.thumb.png.577e842f5cac3cba98baa9464fe99e78.pngpetro2.thumb.png.e6e8c542bcb1fca020c9d4597ac410e8.pngpetro3.thumb.png.5fde83b95fe18a3168d274ab56dca281.png

This setup has been created by Francis John :

18 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

This setup has been created by Francis John :

That's what got me thinking about it even though I don't need anywhere near that much petrol.  But I don't have any volcanoes on my map, which is why I was asking how to do it without one.

On using the magma at the bottom of the map... how do you build in it?  Even with an atmo suit, magma is still hot enough to scald dupes isn't it?  But I guess they can work in it for a few seconds eh?  And when health reaches zero they don't die, but become incapacitated and have to be taken to a triage cot by another dupe right?

1 hour ago, psusi said:

using the magma at the bottom of the map... how do you build in it? 

A pitcher pump can be used to bottle magma but you have to be careful with transport so you dont flash liquids or have dropped bottles bleeding heat. or a diamond magma spike as in the above pic, a solid line of diamond tiles is a little slower but very efficient at conducting heat.

Archived