Been working on trying to see how many rockets I can run in parallel. Original plan was to go exclusively hydrogen, utilizing the excess water generated from the oil-well->petrol boiler ->petrol gen cycle on top of my geysers.
However, if you assume that, late game:
1. Oxygen is generally produced to excess (I think I can support 100+ dupes on top of LOX production; which I don’t think my CPU can support)
2. power is essentially infinite
then it follows that you’re better off directly fueling petrol rockets than converting it to water for hydrogen rockets, by a lot: 2kg/s petrol -> 0.75kg/s water -> 84g/s hydrogen.
Therefor, assuming access to Sufficient petrol boilers:
1. You should tap all your oil wells
2. You should only burn as much petrol as is necessary to generate water sustain other water needs.
3. hydrogen rockets are best left to the long distance destinations only they can reach*
*or the shortest destinations with 100% steam capture