Oil to petroleum cooking without volcano

1 minute ago, KILLABUDZ said:

A pitcher pump can be used to bottle magma but you have to be careful with transport so you dont flash liquids or have dropped bottles bleeding heat. or a diamond magma spike as in the above pic, a solid line of diamond tiles is a little slower but very efficient at conducting heat.

Right, but to build a spike of diamond window into the magma, you have to climb into the magma don't you?

No, your dupes have a greater build range than 1. The diamond doesnt have to go deep into the magma, it just has to touch. The above pic is 3 wide which Im not sure you need that much, the door clamp is only 2 wide so I dont see the point going beyond that.
Spiking a decent chunk of magma should give you enough energy to boil petrol or generate steam for super sustainable for longer than most bases run.

Metal refinery could easily do it.   Just loop it over and over using a liquid resvoir tank until it breaks the pipe.  just repair the pipe and you repeat process. You could put the metal refinery over mesh tiles and let it all spill into a pool below.  Only cost is repairing the pipe everytime it breaks.   No need for fancy setup.  Plus  this let's you have coolant for your metal refinery too. 

2 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Metal refinery could easily do it.   Just loop it over and over using a liquid resvoir tank until it breaks the pipe.  just repair the pipe and you repeat process. You could put the metal refinery over mesh tiles and let it all spill into a pool below.  Only cost is repairing the pipe everytime it breaks.   No need for fancy setup.  Plus  this let's you have coolant for your metal refinery too. 

Umm... what?

21 minutes ago, psusi said:

Umm... what?

Okay so  here is what you do. Create a room for the metal refinery. Over 3 tiles of mesh.  Below the mesh tiles is a pit to store your petreorulem oil.    Have crude oil piped into a liquid tank.  Second tank takes the used crude oil that is heated that loops back into the metal refinery priority it with bridge pipe  so it takes the heated  crude oil.   This will let the refinery have coolant while increasing the oils temp.   Once it reaches boiling the pipe output for the refinery will break. You can use a cheap material like igneous rock. I usually have them insulated.     It breaks. Petroulem oil spills out.  Repair the pipe or deconstruct and replace it.  And then repeat process until all crude oil is gone.     This is a really easy way to do it. And you're able to make use of the crude oil as coolant  to refine metals.  Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.    Though the room will be hot.  So just make sure the liquid resoivor  tank is made of steel.      The heat can be deleted by having a room above it boil steam and use steam to general power and delete the heat.  Also good place to store larva slicketers next to the room to keep them hot environment.        I did this in an osasis map outside my base and the heat isn't even that big of a deal.        No need to. Mess with any fancy boiling design or elaborate automated setups.  No need for external heat source or power wasted making heat from external buildings. 

Alot of times I get larva eggs from printer pods and don't have a place to put slicketers but this is a great way to keep a room hot for the slicksters without having to put them a the bottom of map. 

27 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

I gotta say. That is the most ghetto-ass petrol boiler I’ve ever heard of

I had to be resourceful early in the game on oasis map.  Had crude oil biomes with crude oil all around to mop, up and store somewhere.  Was low on coolant options for refinery.   So i figured I'd use the crude oil til it boiled over.  Works pretty well.  Didn't want to waste power either. 

1 minute ago, RonEmpire said:

I had to be resourceful early in the game on oasis map.  Had crude oil biomes with crude oil all around to mop, up and store somewhere.  Was low on coolant options for refinery.   So i figured I'd use the crude oil til it boiled over.  Works pretty well.  Didn't want to waste power either. 

I love a scrappy early game 

@RonEmpire Ahh, right.. you can use refinery heat to cook petrol, but you are better off using petrol as the coolant and piping it through a heat exchanger to heat the oil instead of letting the oil burst the pipes.  Also it's kind of limited by how much metal you have to refine, and at this point, I've got tons and tons of refined metal.  If I were going to use the refinery as a heat source, I'd also use molten metal or magma as coolant and melt a bunch of sedimentary rock or igneous rock to get more free heat, but I think I ran the numbers on that once and wasn't satisfied with the amount of oil you can cook before you use up the heat.

10 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I still can't believe people are still dripping their oil onto the top of their oil conversion chambers.  You are doing it wrong guys, ffs.

What is the advantage?  And I assume the counter flow heat exchanger is not pictured there?

9 hours ago, psusi said:

@RonEmpire Ahh, right.. you can use refinery heat to cook petrol, but you are better off using petrol as the coolant and piping it through a heat exchanger to heat the oil instead of letting the oil burst the pipes.  Also it's kind of limited by how much metal you have to refine, and at this point, I've got tons and tons of refined metal.  If I were going to use the refinery as a heat source, I'd also use molten metal or magma as coolant and melt a bunch of sedimentary rock or igneous rock to get more free heat, but I think I ran the numbers on that once and wasn't satisfied with the amount of oil you can cook before you use up the heat.

What is the advantage?  And I assume the counter flow heat exchanger is not pictured there?

Yes. I'm doing that too.   I have a separate loopiing petrol   for another refinery. that runs through a self cooling steam machine.

It's just my crude oil refinery scheme was to cook the oil, and at first I didn't enough materials to create the looping system yet.

14 hours ago, psusi said:

Regardless of the heat exchange, submerging offers safety, by auto limiting the flow until there is enough heat for a full conversion of oil to petrol.  ie, you will NEVER get oil spill out of the conversion chamber and pollute your counter exchange.

15 hours ago, Craigjw said:

by auto limiting the flow until there is enough heat for a full conversion of oil to petrol.

I built mine like this so when one vent is OP it feeds the other, by having the bridge output on the intersection it chooses which way is free instantly instead of the 1s hang from a normal intersection.
oni-oilconversion.png.f6ccb14d147242a47f30c05e1e0263f9.png

Who does not love over-automation?
Here is my magma powered Petrol boiler - it outputs ~240kg of petrol every 60 seconds real time. The output temperature is ~240 degrees which feeds petrol generators (running in 240 deg steam, which is then consumed by another set of steam turbines).

Also produces 2,4kW of power and salt from attached steam chamber.

Spoiler

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Piping (messy - I wanted to use crude oil and salty water to cool down the steam turbines - It was inefficient so I went back to ethanol cooling 

Spoiler

9ED5025D576CC9348DCF11022F4B5E36E307E77F

Automation

Spoiler

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

System fills the chamber with crude oil (4 tiles ~80kg each) and then close the doors for 3.2 second. It will raise the temperature of crude oil to ~340 degrees, with second closing for 3.2s it will go to 420-440 degrees. Then it opens the door to drop the petrol.

4 sensors in boiling chamber - 
Temperature sensors - set to 320 degrees - by pulses control opening and closing the door. (R&D was carried out to calculate the timing of door)

First pressure sensor - set to 80 kg of liquid - controls filling of chamber, when full allows closing the door.

Liquid element sensor - detect petroleum - if present opens the doors allowing petroleum to drop into mid chamber.

Second pressure sensor - set to 1.5 kg liquid (delayed by 3s) indicates that chamber is empty and resets the process.

Bottom temperature sensor - controls the temperature of petroleum to avoid damage to pump

Gas element sensor - if something goes wrong (sour gas) stops the door.

Fail safe mechanism (left) - stops crude oil if pipe is full of petroleum (no space) or the salty water is missing (over temperature of steam)

All build from steel and pre space materials.

The system could fail if: - there is power outage and room is cooled to less than 200 degrees. Then manually (by controling the temperature sensor) the room needs to be restarted. 

I'm quite happy about this solution. :)

Archived