Don't Steal Together

You could just go the whole “Minecraft route” and by that I mean that Minecraft has 2 or 3 different chests- each one did a different thing.

the normal chest anyone could open/destroy/loot.

the Ender Chest was a special chest that players could place items into and they would be able to be pulled out from any other Ender Chest on the Map.. not only that, but multiple players could put items into the Ender Chest but they would only See what they put into the chest themselves making it possible to share the same chests.. but impossible to steal items from one another. 

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You could just go the whole “Minecraft route” and by that I mean that Minecraft has 2 or 3 different chests- each one did a different thing.

the normal chest anyone could open/destroy/loot.

the Ender Chest was a special chest that players could place items into and they would be able to be pulled out from any other Ender Chest on the Map.. not only that, but multiple players could put items into the Ender Chest but they would only See what they put into the chest themselves making it possible to share the same chests.. but impossible to steal items from one another. 

and then there is the trapped chest. just connect some TNT to the chest with some redstone and there you go: your very own anti-griefer chest trap.

On 16/11/2019 at 3:49 AM, Gourmand said:

In Don't Starve, food is the least of your issues. The real culprit is theft. That's right, theft.

Survivors are not always friendly, griefers come and go and take what is not theirs. From eyebrellas to yellow gems, theft is all too common in the Constant. So how do we go about this? Mass incarceration? Private prisons? Re-education camps? Forcing them to become Wes mains? 

None of those, punishment is not necessary. We need keys and locks. We should have the ability to lock chests and craft keys. The keys would be stored on a key ring (does not interfere with any inventory slots or backpack slots, this would just be displayed on the side) and if a character has the correct key (or if they crafted the chest), they are allowed entry. This wouldn't fully prevent theft, but it'd be a cool RPG mechanic while dually reducing the amount of Wurts who join just to take thirty-two reeds and skiddadle. 

I mean there was a real simple solution to this....

Image result for safe dont starve together icebox skin"

But they ruined it, by making it into a skin.

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

K so I got one wrong.. sue me.  I’m playing as Wickerbottom so Sleep by Mandrake is the Only way I’m going to sleep until I figure out some other method. 

O man. Makes me think, can Wicker be put asleep by Bearger in spring? 

there are complicated things that will happen if we could lock chest in the future. As for now, we can hammer any chest/ice box once, and u know what happen right? all stuff inside it will be out of chest.

if key were implemented, as far as i know there are 2 possibilities. chest could be destroyed by hammer, and chest can't be destroyed by hammer. All that 2 possibilities still have incoming bug.

(thats why the gorge didnt have hammer implemented)

6 hours ago, JohnDoe244 said:

Easier fix would be to kill characters automatically when they leave the server, so they drop all their stuff.

(Might need a couple of lines of code to check the caves.)

Many people have connection problems or have to go afk for a (short) time, so this isn't a good idea. Maybe leave statues of them when they leave and people can vote for destroying the statue to get their inventory or just hammer them, if they haven't survived a certain time (10 days). The statues could be moved.

6 hours ago, JohnDoe244 said:

Easier fix would be to kill characters automatically when they leave the server, so they drop all their stuff.

(Might need a couple of lines of code to check the caves.)

That would make single player worlds with skins and non-dedicated server multiplayer worlds impossible to re-launch. I play with someone else locally and it would be highly not appreciated if every time we shut down for food and bathroom breaks or stop playing for the day, we come back to a dead world because of this.

7 hours ago, Queron81 said:

Many people have connection problems or have to go afk for a (short) time, so this isn't a good idea. Maybe leave statues of them when they leave and people can vote for destroying the statue to get their inventory or just hammer them, if they haven't survived a certain time (10 days). The statues could be moved.

and after this idea was implemented, people would ask random people to join their world, so they could have awesome statues around their base.

10 hours ago, Queron81 said:

Statues sound fancyy. And I love the concept, what about players that leave dropping a coupon like the figure sketch which can be taken to celestial portal, where it can be given to it, returning the items that player had when leaving. And perhaps a new craftable in the celestial orb can prevent leaving a coupon for a while so players intending to return could use that.

7 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Statues sound fancyy. And I love the concept, what about players that leave dropping a coupon like the figure sketch which can be taken to celestial portal, where it can be given to it, returning the items that player had when leaving. And perhaps a new craftable in the celestial orb can prevent leaving a coupon for a while so players intending to return could use that.

Maybe not this exactly, but I like the general concept...
Players have a bit of protection, but after being gone for a while, a way appears for their items to be retrieved.

My concept mashing several of these ideas together:
- When a player is gone for half of their survived day count, a statue of them spawns at their last position
- This statue can be mined to obtain their items
- If the player rejoins before the statues spawns or before it has been mined, the statue disappears, and the player spawns like normal
- If the player rejoins after their statue has been mined, they simply spawn without an inventory, and with default beginner spawn stats
- Mining a WX statue drops 100% of their eaten gears
- A kicked player immediately leaves a statue, even if the kick only goes through after they quit the game

The idea here is that raids, grief, and people who stock up their inventories then quickly exit can all be taken care of without also screwing over the players who have put time into the world and care about it.

Why don’t they just make a loot box that can only be crafted by a player and only accessed by that player. That way if you got something important you wanna hold onto you just stash it in that. 

It’s standard in PvE games, and since PvP in Don’t Starve is a long forgotten afterthought.. I don’t see why personal storage boxes would be a bad idea.

Honestly if I have something important to me in a pub like a cane or food, I just keep it to myself, on my person. Food isn't astronomically difficult to come by, so not trusting the ice box is usually just a minor inconvenience.

Archived