Don't Steal Together

In Don't Starve, food is the least of your issues. The real culprit is theft. That's right, theft.

Survivors are not always friendly, griefers come and go and take what is not theirs. From eyebrellas to yellow gems, theft is all too common in the Constant. So how do we go about this? Mass incarceration? Private prisons? Re-education camps? Forcing them to become Wes mains? 

None of those, punishment is not necessary. We need keys and locks. We should have the ability to lock chests and craft keys. The keys would be stored on a key ring (does not interfere with any inventory slots or backpack slots, this would just be displayed on the side) and if a character has the correct key (or if they crafted the chest), they are allowed entry. This wouldn't fully prevent theft, but it'd be a cool RPG mechanic while dually reducing the amount of Wurts who join just to take thirty-two reeds and skiddadle. 

15 minutes ago, themightyone said:

I like the re-education camp idea. I keed :D

Not a bad idea . I didnt know people could steal and use in another world  , is that the case ?

They can't use the items in another world; the items stay in their inventory until they rejoin that particular server. A player can join, steal a bee queen crown and leave the server. Sure you can rollback, but often times you don't realize something is gone until it's the next season. It's an easy way to troll. 

Just now, Jessie223 said:

turn on pvp: give yourself the opportunity to defend your property

Good point, but sadly you need to witness the theft and be close to the thief in question. Boomsticks aren't existent in DST (if only Warbucks was playable) so quick justice is difficult to obtain. Especially since a sneaky Maxwell can just join, take a handful of jellybeans and leave the server without the host knowing anything of his devious heist.

The only problem I can see with this is that this can cause people to get a important item locked in a chest that can't be reopened. Sure you can just hammer it to break chest and get the item back, but it that's the case then people would just carry hammers to access all chests rather they worry about keys.

1 hour ago, 1TeeMo said:

I never played on a public server, only on password protected servers with people I know. Is griefing such a big thing on public servers?! Sounds bad

It can be, but not that often, really. I play on pubs a lot the last few months, and the sort of griefing I run into, isn't usually stealing or base burning. For the most part those 2 things can be countered as long as it's not a non-renewable resource. Ghosts who refuse to revive though and either can't or won't be kicked are a much bigger pain. Everyone goes insane & if you run out of the means to counter that, or get attacked by a nice Deerclops or frog rain in the middle of it... It's not pretty!

2 minutes ago, AnitaCoffee said:

It can be, but not that often, really. I play on pubs a lot the last few months, and the sort of griefing I run into, isn't usually stealing or base burning. For the most part those 2 things can be countered as long as it's not a non-renewable resource. Ghosts who refuse to revive though and either can't or won't be kicked are a much bigger pain. Everyone goes insane & if you run out of the means to counter that, or get attacked by a nice Deerclops or frog rain in the middle of it... It's not pretty!

insert "but insanity is good!!!" comment here:

---------> ____________________________

6 hours ago, 1TeeMo said:

I never played on a public server, only on password protected servers with people I know. Is griefing such a big thing on public servers?! Sounds bad

I'm playing only on public servers (and that a lot) and I don't see griefing that often. Sometimes I see players setting the base on fire, but then there is always the option to kick and rollback. Some servers ar administrated, so you can report griefers and the players will be blocked on every server run by this group. I haven't seen much stealing (more in the past), sometimes someone (mostly unexperienced players) picking up stuff from a player who just died, but after communication the player get his stuff back. In the past it has been worse, but I think nowadays people can handle resp. prevent griefing better.

Though I usually only see a big griefing once per game season on pubs...it would be nice to have more regularly available vanilla options to combat it.

Just making players drop all their stuff a moment before they're vote-kicked would be enough. Maybe a backup flag that causes kicked players' items to drop at their last location when a rollback is initiated; would help in the case of less moderated pubs where people grab a bunch of valuables before setting their fires.

I don’t ever have a problem with managing Sanity when other players die, there are many ways to regain Sanity, 

Picking Flowers, Eating Cooked Green Caps, Sleeping in a Tent or Seista-Lean-To, Cooking Mandrakes, Eating Mandrakes. 

there also many ways to quickly induce insanity, such as Eating Uncooked Green Caps.

In order to beat DS Single Player you had to be Adept at managing your Sanity levels between being Fully Insane and perfectly Sane.

14 minutes ago, Starving eater said:

klei should add a karma counter which make the one that done bad things to surfer

Woodie is getting a new transformation come next beta. He can now transform into Weremoose (brawler), Weregoose (scout), Werebeaver (gatherer) and Walani (surfer).

On 11/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, Gourmand said:

Boomsticks aren't existent in DST (if only Warbucks was playable)

why does everyone assume warbucks spawned with a gun

i played warbucks only once and i have a feeling i’ve played him more than most people jeez

according to this logic wilson spawns with a goose

33 minutes ago, DavePlaysDST said:

i played warbucks only once and i have a feeling i’ve played him more than most people jeez

Wilson doesn't spawn with a goose? They must've patched that recently :wilson_worried:

33 minutes ago, DavePlaysDST said:

i think it's because the vast majority of players only learned about him when he got removed

he didn't really receive a lot of enthusiasm while he was around, and he was only playable for a relatively short time during early access

so i doubt most people who currently know about warbucks even know what his perks were, since a common assumption i'm seeing is that he started out with the blunderbuss or that the blunderbuss was his special item

(i still miss the unique battle cry)

1 minute ago, Jessie223 said:

i think it's because the vast majority of players only learned about him when he got removed

he didn't really receive a lot of enthusiasm while he was around, and he was only playable for a relatively short time during early access

so i doubt most people who currently know about warbucks even know what his perks were, since a common assumption i'm seeing is that he started out with the blunderbuss or that the blunderbuss was his special item

(i still miss the unique battle cry)

Also the fact that Hamlet has yet to be released on console :wilson_tranquil: (Wasn't around to witness that whole Warbucks fiasco)

Archived