What do you think about Moggles?

It’s a nifty item. It’s excellent for ruins raiding, because you can almost always see the dangers before they can attack you. Pretty nice for cave exploring as well.

The problem I have with this item is trying to maintain it. Glow berries/lesser glow berries work, but those can take awhile to grind while you can just get a stack of light bulbs and maintain the miner hat, which even with a much smaller light radius still has an okay range. Even in the ruins the presence of audio cues can give you a good idea of what direction the clockworks are at and where to attack them from, and once you regen the ruins you should have a pretty good idea of where to go to fight which clockwork.

Still, this item is pretty nice for what it does. It might be a tad bit costly to refuel in my opinion, but this item is still excellent for what it’s purpose is. If you are trying to do the ruins or just like being more cautious, I do recommend it.

Well, I guess Moggles are good but you should keep having your Miner Hat / Magiluminescence (anything glowy refuelable) with you, they're running out of fuel very quickly and your (lesser) Glow Berry reserve size will mostly depend of your luck in the worldgen, so like said, if you need to keep a large vision on the field, mostly when you are doing ruins, they're neat, otherwise, keep your Miner Hat and safe some fuel.

It's also quite useful when it's about teleportation, since you can only perform actions when it's visible, Wortox can have some great advantage of Moggles in caves to escape some tight rooms in ruins if needed, and if you play as Warly, maybe you'd like to use the Glow Berries for his recipe which make you glow for 2 days (Pretty useful to keep a helmet on and still having light)

I love using moggles + thermal stone during the long winter nights, I feel I can be a lot more productive that way.  ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ oh boi

That said, it's not that easy of an item to maintain, if you want to use it frequently you'll need to raid the ruins regularly for gold and glowberries, and you'll also need to have a moleworm farm and a stone fruit farm.

At least that's what I do, since glowberries don't give that much fuel I prefer to just make a new one.

Probably one of the top 10 best/most useful items in the game really. In addition to what others have said about it , I recently realized how useful it is with sailing at night. Makes sailing at night a breeze. Love me some moggles. Refueling it is a slight pain but not too bad , I use them sparingly. Cave worms are simple to kill 1 vs 1 , 2 vs 1 can be done , but anymore then 2 gets dicey. And some worlds you get lucky with a bunch of lesser glow berries too

Honestly, I wish Lesser Glowberries would refill for more. They only restore 6.25% durability to the Moggles, so if you're say at 12% durability you'll need about 14 of them to refill. Miner Hats can use Lightbulbs for more than 19% durability, on top of being easy to mass produce in the caves (most coming in bushels of 2 or 3 oftentimes) unlike the berries of which only spawn in one region, and in single pickings. To be fair though, they are not terribly difficult to mass produce and normal Glowberries refuel for about 33.25% (albeit a bit more annoying to obtain). I think about 15% durability per berry would be better, effectively doubling the effectiveness while also not diminishing the utility of the normal berries. 

6 hours ago, Pruinae said:

That said, it's not that easy of an item to maintain, if you want to use it frequently you'll need to raid the ruins regularly for gold and glowberries, and you'll also need to have a moleworm farm and a stone fruit farm.

What’s the stone fruit farm for?

23 minutes ago, Dynamix_Roxx said:

I think rocks mainly.

4 minutes ago, Brago-sama said:

Probably for guacamole. You can substitute the cactus with rock fruit for the dish.

While it is true you can make guacamole with the avacados, the topic is moggles so why would they mention stone fruit for the guacamole?

It's a cool item but it takes too much time to make it and maintain it compared to what it gives imo,most of the ruins creatures are noisy as hell,lanterns and miner hats have a range big enough and both have a abundant fuel source.

2 hours ago, Dynamix_Roxx said:

9 hours ago, Pruinae said:

since glowberries don't give that much fuel I prefer to just make a new one.

The stone fruit farm is for, well, stone, for crafting electrical doodads if you want to keep making new moggles rather than refueling one.

In my opinion,moggle is worse than miner hat:

1,miner hat is cheaper than moggle

2,yeah moggle last longer,but miner hat is so easy to refuel.I have played in a world that i only find 1 lesser glowberrie,and i am too lazy to hunt some depth worms(cuz i don’t know how to kite lol),so i eat it

After all,why not give these berries to warly and have a delicous glow berrie mousse instead of refuel moggle?That recipe make you glow for 2 days.That is even better than miner hat and moggle

19 minutes ago, Starving eater said:

In my opinion,moggle is worse than miner hat:

1,miner hat is cheaper than moggle

2,yeah moggle last longer,but miner hat is so easy to refuel.I have played in a world that i only find 1 lesser glowberrie,and i am too lazy to hunt some depth worms(cuz i don’t know how to kite lol),so i eat it

After all,why not give these berries to warly and have a delicous glow berrie mousse instead of refuel moggle?That recipe make you glow for 2 days.That is even better than miner hat and moggle

It's not really fair to compare full screen vision of the moggles to a small light radius. I find having the whole screen valuable for combat in complete darkness, and it makes it easier to deal with things like nightmare creatures and shadow splumonkeys than with just a small light radius. I find that most of my initial fear of the ruins was because I was limiting myself to miner hats and lanterns, which is essentially going in blind. Yes, if I'm just traveling in the dark, I'll be conservative and stick to miner hat. But if I'm going to do combat in total darkness, I am always going to use the moggles for that.

By the way, I encourage you to learn how to fight depths worms. They are not very difficult to kite, and even in groups, they are easier to handle than hounds. The morning star is my weapon of choice for them.

Had the lesser glow berries stack to 40 instead of 10 it would've been much more favorable to use. A stack (40) of lightbulbs can theoretically provide light for 59.28 minutes (though they spoil in 48 minutes), while stack (10) of lesser glow berries will last only for 7,5 minutes - less than a game day. Normal glow berries are better, a stack (10) of those would last 39,9 minutes but you'd need to save them from at least 2 worm waves, since max amount of worms is 6 and worm waves are less frequent than hound waves.

Overall result - good for occasional use (like running away from shadow monkeys or bishops), but not good for regular use due to hard maintenance.

Archived