What is limiting you from building your ultimate ideal base  

85 members have voted

1. 1. The limiting factors

• lack of power
    • lack of water
    • lack of metal
    • lack of rare resource
    • lack of map size
    • lack of computational power (aka lagging)
    • lack of real life time

Guys, have you ever thought I am going to dig out the whole asteroid and build the coolest ever base in the ONI world, but somehow you have not yet managed it so. Please kindly share your opinion on the most limiting factors.

Generically speaking, the majority of limitations for players are either knowledge to build/test ideas, lack of real life time, lack of computational power, lack of motivation/joy to continue with the same base, or even in some cases world blocked materials like tungsten. Even tungsten can be renewed by melting insulation however.

For me it is real life time and lack of features or mods that I think should be included in the game.

Forgot to put in bugs. Some are useful, others not so much.

Lack of willpower to solve the food problem.

I want to play ONI but every time I launch the game and load my latest save, I am reminded that I have to plant ~100 wild plants for my dream base to work, which is neither challenging nor fun, it's just a chore.

Every time I end up planning a few more cool features for my base without unpausing and quitting.

Lack of Ideas.:/

Still searching for a reasonable regolith melter. There was a nice setup from @Sevio

But maybe there is a better way in the current version with advanced materials and the changed steam turbine.

Maybe with lead as cooling medium for the metal refinery?

3 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Try shove voles, pacu, or slicksters, they do not have a hard space requirement.

Slicksters too?   I once tried to keep wild slicksters confined in a tight space.   The result was no eggs and a negligible amount of oil.

Are you saying that you can domesticate them and place them in a confined space and they will still produce eggs (and maybe oil)?

---

Anyway, more on topic:

• Knowledge, as others said.
  • The excessive unrefined ore cost that goes with building automated solid material transport (because I would like to isolate different kinds of production to their own outposts, like a ranching outpost, a farming outpost, etc).
  • The annoying lag that comes from exploring the base.
  • The inability to create localized storage and making dupes deliver to it instead of running to the opposite side of the base to a storage unit of the same priority when there is a perfectly usable one right next to them.

For me it is AI lag, starting with 50-60 dupes on my hardware. They just start to stutter around and the base loses efficiency with every additional dupe. The skills and priority screens are also pretty unmanageable with that amount of dupes. The last attempt ended with regular game crashes every few minutes with 95 dupes.

15 hours ago, Z0366 said:

Guys, have you ever thought I am going to dig out the whole asteroid and build the coolest ever base in the ONI world, but somehow you have not yet managed it so. Please kindly share your opinion on the most limiting factors.

You missed an option: Wanting to keep the asteroid neat and tidy.

That often blocks my exploration and expansion big time.

I have three big problems:

First, not enough space where I need it. There’s plenty of space on the map, but a lot of the systems that need expanding are space-constrained. My water purification/disinfection/cooling system is sandwiched between the main base and a polluted water vent, and there’s a similar situation with most of the other critical systems.

Second, and related to the lack of space: too much water. I have hundreds of tons of it divided between three or so giant lakes. I don’t use water fast enough to actually drain them, and they’re not close enough to my core base for that to really work. One is currently a heat sink for my rocket launches. 

Third, and most critically, gridlock. Most of the systems in my base are kinda kludgey, and spending the time to find a permanent fix gives one or two other systems time to break entirely. My water and food are about the only systems I really have down, and even then there’s some inefficiency. 

Points of interest and geysers getting in the way can mess up a lot of my more structured base designs. For most of my play-throughs the hang up for mid-game transition is that I have a lot of overgrown, outdated early-game infrastructure I have to rebuild somewhere else and tear down to make room for more features. It's not a big deal, just kind of a pain.

The ultimate hang up for me is loss of interest, as the driving force behind the game for me is the challenge of guiding the colony toward sustainability. The most technical sustainability issue is large scale heat deletion, which can be settled with either ethanol or plastic in early to mid-game. As soon as a colony becomes sustainable I lose the incentive to take it further.

1 hour ago, Samson.ONI said:

As soon as a colony becomes sustainable I lose the incentive to take it further.

Pacu/Slicksters/Wild Plants/Pufts/ShoveVoles+Dupe Penitentiary+Mogom+Infinite gas/liquid storages = Infinite Food, Power, CO2, Polluted H2O, Polluted O2  and Dupes (their byproducts depending on critter/plant used as food). It will pretty much self sustain itself especially if you use dupe byproducts to cool the system. There are other methods, but I find sustainability to be easy if you either limit oxygen consumption or maximize oxygen production; The former is scalable without excess infrastructure.

9 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Pacu/Slicksters/Wild Plants/Pufts/ShoveVoles+Dupe Penitentiary+Mogom+Infinite gas/liquid storages = Infinite Food, Power, CO2, Polluted H2O, Polluted O2  and Dupes (their byproducts depending on critter/plant used as food). It will pretty much self sustain itself especially if you use dupe byproducts to cool the system. There are other methods, but I find sustainability to be easy if you either limit oxygen consumption or maximize oxygen production; The former is scalable without excess infrastructure.

Yeah no, I have no issues getting colonies to the point of sustainability lol that's the problem; or why I tend to lose interest as I approach mid-game. Sometimes I just take on as many dupes as the printer offers so they can create problems for me to solve.

Just now, Samson.ONI said:

Yeah no, I have no issues getting colonies to the point of sustainability lol that's the problem; or why I tend to lose interest as I approach mid-game. Sometimes I just take on as many dupes as the printer offers so they can create problems for me to solve.

I get it. I'd like for there to be more content and challenges thrown in too. Mini Bosses or something. They already have a combat mechanic in place. There will probably be a mod for it somewhere down the line. There are community challenges I have heard about.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:06 AM, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Try shove voles, pacu, or slicksters, they do not have a hard space requirement.

They draw a considerable amount of computational power. Even if they are confined in small place, the game still calculate where they can go every sec I believe. My mid game option is Mashroom, then Mashroom wrap, lettuce and mashroom takes little resource to grow (not much water) and are easy to maintain temperature wise.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chthonicone said:

You missed an option: Wanting to keep the asteroid neat and tidy.

That often blocks my exploration and expansion big time.

Totally agree. Sometimes I set up huge sweep jobs but sitting there watching them transfering material to my storage sink hole is still a pain...

On 10/13/2019 at 7:10 AM, zOldBulldog said:

The inability to create localized storage and making dupes deliver to it instead of running to the opposite side of the base to a storage unit of the same priority when there is a perfectly usable one right next to them.

OMG that happens soo much. I hate to quote other games in this one as I dont want to bait a fight. But cant they use system like R*mwor*d where jobs and storage priorities are separated??

5 minutes ago, Z0366 said:

On 10/13/2019 at 7:10 AM, zOldBulldog said:

The inability to create localized storage and making dupes deliver to it instead of running to the opposite side of the base to a storage unit of the same priority when there is a perfectly usable one right next to them.

OMG that happens soo much. I hate to quote other games in this one as I dont want to bait a fight. But cant they use system like R*mwor*d where jobs and storage priorities are separated??

Does enabling proximity in the priorities options not fix that?

21 hours ago, Z0366 said:

I have noticed dupes would rather pull from a storage container than from debris sitting on the ground, is this what you are talking about?

Archived