[Discussion] Add more Antlions

No, not literally. 

After reading a couple of threads, I saw that a big problem people had with DST was how eventually you could just lounge around after a certain period of building since nothing would ever force you to go out and fight the bosses. And since you had all the high end gear, the seasons wouldn't be a problem either. Even hound attacks would become trivial, as you could just retreat to a bundle of tooth traps. Some have had the idea of making tooth traps flammable to prevent this, but all it'd really do was require a couple flingos around your pen. So in the end, there's really nothing stopping you from lounging in your base forever.

Except Antlion.

Antlion is a fantastic little thing that requires players, even those in separate bases, to work together to stop everybody from suffering the consequences. To avoid the destruction of the sinkholes, players must send out parties to go out and feed or kill the antlion to calm her rage.

In the end, I think it's a great way to have something unavoidable that players can work together to fix. I think the game could benefit from more of these. It'd be a nice way to get people to get out of the house and into the ocean with the new updates, after all.

What are your thoughts? Have any ideas for stuff that could be implemented like this? Am I crazy for thinking the Antlion is good?

All these questions and more answered below!  By you guys! 

30 minutes ago, Brago-sama said:

People like me who live in the caves still see her as optional. Free rocks/decor/walls baby

Autumn the server is full, Winter only the strong 2-4 survive, Spring a few return and Summer I am alone in the caves.  I agree with Brago-sama living in the caves is easiest in the summer.  No need to fight the Ant.  Only problem is when newbies come to the surface and won't live in the caves.

Personally I always turn her and disease off when I host... after 1 summer where I literally fished for 10 days just to get the goggles to go see her, I'm not a big fan of the whole ordeal. Of course that's not a year 2 problem, but I dunno. I've always seen it as a chore that subtracts from time that I could spend making flower arrangements or something. I can experiment with arrangements - whereas killing or appeasing Antlion is pretty ritualistic, I don't get much from doing it over and over. But so long as things like this have options on them I suppose we're both served!

I will say that the idea of a boss mob that can force you out of your base to go kill it is interesting but the problem I feel is that adding effects like this becomes more and more less interesting and more annoying, like hound attacks. Antlion provides a unique battle where you can be forced to wear certin headgear or go in it and deal with the debuffs with a football hat but adding multiple battles like this will make the odea of a boss with a seasonal effect, seem more required and less unique. There also isn't many other ideas that would force the player out of their base that wouldn't be reskins of the sinkhole. The idea could work but I feel adding more events in the 2nd year would spice up verity but would still provide the uniqueness of antlion instead of having slightly different version of her every season.

I personally turn off the Antlion, because it takes so long to get rid of sinkholes. Feels a little too punishing if you can't quite get to Antlion in time. If the sinkholes could be manually repaired to get rid of them faster, I wouldn't mind so much. Or if they just went away after fewer days. But they don't. So, when I play, usually, off goes Antlion.

That said, I love when the bosses force you to do something about them them, like Bearger and Deerclops. So maybe something more like another giant that actually seeks you out would add that element of keeping the players on their toes. In single player Don't Starve, all four giants will show up and bother you directly at your base, if that's where you are. Don't Starve Together limits Dragonfly to the desert and Moose/Goose to specific nesting places that they won't stray far from. So, more bosses that storm your base and force you to do something about it sounds fun to me. Especially something like Bearger, that actively seeks out your stuff and robs you. An enemy that genuinely makes you angry by violating your space and your property. More of those could make the game more interesting.

Absolutely agree. I really want new stuff for when year two rolls around.

Such as a new boss for winter that causes the weather to become drastically colder. Frigid winds, snow storms, piling snow, absolutely insane temperature drops and all from... its snoring???

By all means you could just tough it out, but the brave or ill-prepared alike would wind up locating the beast and slaying it.

Stuff like that.

Archived