After seeing the video of Woodie, and realizing that it'll probably be a long while (if ever) before we get lore on him, I thought I'd work on my headcannon for Webber. His lore is one of the backgrounds I've always been the most interested in. I've had the same theory on what his origin was, or a rough idea on how it went down, for ages. I was going to just state my theory, but thought it would be fun to write it in the format of a short story. I hope you like it! Also curious to see what others think his origin was, or anything else about his lore (general ideas, his origin, etc.)

Spoiler

Webber

5d81ab5e07c2b_WebberSurvival.thumb.png.1290c4054ffe10d25d871aa765e41460.png

“I want to go home, but we don’t know the way!”

The boy lay in bed as his mother tucked him in. The cool night air drifted through the window which remained cracked ajar. Autumn was coming, and it wouldn’t be long before the nights were too cold to leave the window open. Throughout the week the occasional bug was found inside, trying to escape the coming chill.

“Goodnight dear” said his mother as she kissed him on the forehead, rose, and turned off the lamp.

“Goodnight mum” said the boy, nestling himself deep into his covers. It was Friday, and he had the whole weekend to enjoy himself. Maybe he could go visit his grandfather and pet the goats. It was with this thought that the boy drifted to sleep. Dreaming of goats, and his grandfather’s nasty old cat. . .

He woke to a scuffling sound in the corner of the room. In his sleep-addled mind, his immediate thought was of his grandfather’s cat.

“Scruffs!” he called out. “What are you doing here?” He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and sat up in bed. “Scruffs?”. No sound. As he started to wake, he noticed that the window was open wider than it had been. Far wider. He started to get nervous. It was too dark to see much, and the only light shone in around his bed from the moon outside. He heard a scratching sound. No, a clicking sound. As if something had taken some steps and then stopped. The boy was starting to become afraid, but was too scared to call out for his mother.

As his vision adjusted to the dark, he could make out a large, round form in the corner. He saw two large, white eyes looking at him. Then he noticed more, smaller eyes. He didn’t have a clue what it was, but he knew a monster when he saw one. The creature opened its mouth and growled at him, revealing a full set of fangs. Before the boy could react, it charged, pounced on his head, and darkness filled his vision.

He wasn’t sure when he awoke. Or where. At first he couldn’t even remember what had happened. Why couldn’t he lift his covers off of him? Why did he feel so itchy? Why was it so dark? Then he felt his eyes start to open. It was bizarre, and felt like a scab breaking apart. The light was foggy, and there was so much of it. He closed his eyes. Then eased them back open. Something was different. He could see far more than before, and somehow lower and higher at the same time. He looked around. He was in a small cave and could see light at the entrance.

“Where am I?” He stood and walked to the front. Despite the autumn weather, he didn’t feel cold. It was like he was wearing those itchy longjohns his mum always dressed him in before sending him to school in winter. As he neared the entrance, he could see he was in a small patch of forest, with a neighborhood in the distance. With more light around him, he could see himself better. He was covered in some furry black suit. Was this a costume? Had his friends dressed him up while sleeping, and left him here as a joke? Then the memory of last night came to mind. He jumped.

“But what about- what was that thing I saw?” At the thought, he felt a stirring in the back of his mind. He was thinking of the same memory, only from the corner of his room. What was that strange thing laying across from him? It looked small, and not as threatening as a pig. It smelled like food. Though it hadn’t been food. It hadn’t even been digestible. Like some rock. Ever since he’d eaten it, he had felt sluggish. His thoughts wondered to the strangest places, he longed for his mum, and his nice warm bed. It was cozy in there, all snuggled up next to his siblings, silk keeping out the chilly winter cold. His older siblings keeping them all safe. He longed for some food. A rabbit? Some of that delicious, purple meat? Or his mum’s meatloaf even. They had settled for some frogs in the nearby stream. Then he had taken them back into the cave, so he could rest. He was becoming more aware of things. A strange way of looking at his surroundings. Doors, houses, cars, and cats. Nests, trees, monsters, ghosts. A tall man in a suit. Strange worlds for both of them. They snapped out of it and looked up at the houses across from them.

“We have to get back to mum! She’ll be worried sick!” And with that, they ran off towards the houses.

It was a rude awakening they were in for. Dogs barked, children saw them and screamed, running to their homes. More than one adult yelled, and one chased him off with a bat. He didn’t know what was happening. He just wanted to get home, it wasn’t his fault that he had left without telling his mum. Did the neighbors know he had left past curfew, and that’s why they wouldn’t let him back? Sniffling and sulking, he walked back to the cave. He then stepped in a puddle of water, and saw a distorted reflection looking back up at him. They screamed. A large spider face was looking at him, mouth agape. Was this him?? Was he stuck in that monster that tried to eat him? They pulled and pulled at the black fur covering his body, but it was no use, it wouldn’t come off. It was like a nightmare made real. He couldn’t go home like this. Would they ever be able to go home? The thought made his heart race and his spine feel cold. Would he ever be able to go home?

It was this thought that stuck in their mind as they walked the rest of the way to the cave, and settled in for the night. It was this thought that stayed in their mind for the next two weeks, as they ate frogs, rabbits, even a cat. As they watched children play from afar, and as they watched their mother and their house from a distance. Multiple police visits, and posters of the boy put up all throughout town, but he knew they couldn’t go back. It was hard to even sneak into town. He had taken to sleeping in his small cave, which was becoming more and more covered in webs, and only coming and going at night. He knew he couldn’t go back.

“Say kid, you don’t look so good.” Came a voice from across the cave. He woke with a start.

“Who’s there?” he said. He could see a figure illuminated by the burning ember of a cigar, standing across from him.

“Oh, just someone who wants to help” replied the voice. “You look like a ‘Webber’, can I call you Webber?” The figure shook his head. “Anyway, I think I can help with your . . . predicament. You do want help, don’t you?”

Webber nodded. His mum had always warned him not to talk to strangers, but it had been weeks since anyone had spoken to him, much less know he was there before running off screaming.

“Well that’s perfect then. I have just the solution. A place where no person will fear what you are. Where you can be back with your own kind again. Does that sound nice?” the figure said reassuringly.

Webber nodded again. Going back home sounded amazing. The figure took a drag of his cigar and blew.

“Okay. Good enough for me kid. Normally I’d have you sign, but you aren’t exactly old enough for it to be binding anyway. We’ll just ignore that for now, shall we?”

Webber didn’t know exactly what that meant, but agreed.

“Um, okay. So what do you want me to do?”

“Oh, you’ve done all you had to. I’ll let my assistant take it away from here” The man said, the cigar illuminating his face as it broke into a wide grin.

Webber could hear a noise from all sides of the cave. Some kind of whispering. It started off quiet, and grew louder. He couldn’t tell what it, or they, were saying, but it put him on edge. Something felt wrong, and he was starting to get second thoughts. Before he could tell the stranger “no thank you” he saw something darting towards him. Shadows, darker than the shadows around him. A pair of dark hands detached themselves from the shadows of the cave and grabbed him. He yelped, while the stranger started laughing.

“See you in a moment, ‘Webber’. Come and stop by, if you get the chance.”

Webber screamed as he felt himself be pulled down into the ground, and the world went black. All there was, was shadow.

I always thought something went wrong when Webber arrived to the Constant and that's why he's fused with a spider. It could have been Max's failed experiment before the time he really got the hang of kidnapping people with 100% success rate. Anyway, I really enjoyed the story! Thanks for sharing it :D

1 hour ago, WebberMain said:

This is really nice headcanon,but didnt webber said in some examine quotes about maxwell that :"Thats the jerk who tricked us.?"

Oh, maybe he did. I guess I forgot that quote. Well, maybe he tricked him by referring to “home” as the spider’s home? Or maybe my headcanon has a hole xD  either way, thanks for reading. 

1 hour ago, Mrklli said:

I always thought something went wrong when Webber arrived to the Constant and that's why he's fused with a spider. It could have been Max's failed experiment before the time he really got the hang of kidnapping people with 100% success rate. Anyway, I really enjoyed the story! Thanks for sharing it :D

I could see that too. Maybe we’ll find out when Webber gets his refresh. I’ve always thought he somehow got fused with the spider in the normal world, and lured to The Constant under the promise of it getting fixed, but it could be the other way too. Though thanks for reading! 

17 hours ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

After seeing the video of Woodie, and realizing that it'll probably be a long while (if ever) before we get lore on him, I thought I'd work on my headcannon for Webber. His lore is one of the backgrounds I've always been the most interested in. I've had the same theory on what his origin was, or a rough idea on how it went down, for ages. I was going to just state my theory, but thought it would be fun to write it in the format of a short story. I hope you like it! Also curious to see what others think his origin was, or anything else about his lore (general ideas, his origin, etc.)

Hide contents

Webber

5d81ab5e07c2b_WebberSurvival.thumb.png.1290c4054ffe10d25d871aa765e41460.png

“I want to go home, but we don’t know the way!”

The boy lay in bed as his mother tucked him in. The cool night air drifted through the window which remained cracked ajar. Autumn was coming, and it wouldn’t be long before the nights were too cold to leave the window open. Throughout the week the occasional bug was found inside, trying to escape the coming chill.

“Goodnight dear” said his mother as she kissed him on the forehead, rose, and turned off the lamp.

“Goodnight mum” said the boy, nestling himself deep into his covers. It was Friday, and he had the whole weekend to enjoy himself. Maybe he could go visit his grandfather and pet the goats. It was with this thought that the boy drifted to sleep. Dreaming of goats, and his grandfather’s nasty old cat. . .

He woke to a scuffling sound in the corner of the room. In his sleep-addled mind, his immediate thought was of his grandfather’s cat.

“Scruffs!” he called out. “What are you doing here?” He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and sat up in bed. “Scruffs?”. No sound. As he started to wake, he noticed that the window was open wider than it had been. Far wider. He started to get nervous. It was too dark to see much, and the only light shone in around his bed from the moon outside. He heard a scratching sound. No, a clicking sound. As if something had taken some steps and then stopped. The boy was starting to become afraid, but was too scared to call out for his mother.

As his vision adjusted to the dark, he could make out a large, round form in the corner. He saw two large, white eyes looking at him. Then he noticed more, smaller eyes. He didn’t have a clue what it was, but he knew a monster when he saw one. The creature opened its mouth and growled at him, revealing a full set of fangs. Before the boy could react, it charged, pounced on his head, and darkness filled his vision.

He wasn’t sure when he awoke. Or where. At first he couldn’t even remember what had happened. Why couldn’t he lift his covers off of him? Why did he feel so itchy? Why was it so dark? Then he felt his eyes start to open. It was bizarre, and felt like a scab breaking apart. The light was foggy, and there was so much of it. He closed his eyes. Then eased them back open. Something was different. He could see far more than before, and somehow lower and higher at the same time. He looked around. He was in a small cave and could see light at the entrance.

“Where am I?” He stood and walked to the front. Despite the autumn weather, he didn’t feel cold. It was like he was wearing those itchy longjohns his mum always dressed him in before sending him to school in winter. As he neared the entrance, he could see he was in a small patch of forest, with a neighborhood in the distance. With more light around him, he could see himself better. He was covered in some furry black suit. Was this a costume? Had his friends dressed him up while sleeping, and left him here as a joke? Then the memory of last night came to mind. He jumped.

“But what about- what was that thing I saw?” At the thought, he felt a stirring in the back of his mind. He was thinking of the same memory, only from the corner of his room. What was that strange thing laying across from him? It looked small, and not as threatening as a pig. It smelled like food. Though it hadn’t been food. It hadn’t even been digestible. Like some rock. Ever since he’d eaten it, he had felt sluggish. His thoughts wondered to the strangest places, he longed for his mum, and his nice warm bed. It was cozy in there, all snuggled up next to his siblings, silk keeping out the chilly winter cold. His older siblings keeping them all safe. He longed for some food. A rabbit? Some of that delicious, purple meat? Or his mum’s meatloaf even. They had settled for some frogs in the nearby stream. Then he had taken them back into the cave, so he could rest. He was becoming more aware of things. A strange way of looking at his surroundings. Doors, houses, cars, and cats. Nests, trees, monsters, ghosts. A tall man in a suit. Strange worlds for both of them. They snapped out of it and looked up at the houses across from them.

“We have to get back to mum! She’ll be worried sick!” And with that, they ran off towards the houses.

It was a rude awakening they were in for. Dogs barked, children saw them and screamed, running to their homes. More than one adult yelled, and one chased him off with a bat. He didn’t know what was happening. He just wanted to get home, it wasn’t his fault that he had left without telling his mum. Did the neighbors know he had left past curfew, and that’s why they wouldn’t let him back? Sniffling and sulking, he walked back to the cave. He then stepped in a puddle of water, and saw a distorted reflection looking back up at him. They screamed. A large spider face was looking at him, mouth agape. Was this him?? Was he stuck in that monster that tried to eat him? They pulled and pulled at the black fur covering his body, but it was no use, it wouldn’t come off. It was like a nightmare made real. He couldn’t go home like this. Would they ever be able to go home? The thought made his heart race and his spine feel cold. Would he ever be able to go home?

It was this thought that stuck in their mind as they walked the rest of the way to the cave, and settled in for the night. It was this thought that stayed in their mind for the next two weeks, as they ate frogs, rabbits, even a cat. As they watched children play from afar, and as they watched their mother and their house from a distance. Multiple police visits, and posters of the boy put up all throughout town, but he knew they couldn’t go back. It was hard to even sneak into town. He had taken to sleeping in his small cave, which was becoming more and more covered in webs, and only coming and going at night. He knew he couldn’t go back.

“Say kid, you don’t look so good.” Came a voice from across the cave. He woke with a start.

“Who’s there?” he said. He could see a figure illuminated by the burning ember of a cigar, standing across from him.

“Oh, just someone who wants to help” replied the voice. “You look like a ‘Webber’, can I call you Webber?” The figure shook his head. “Anyway, I think I can help with your . . . predicament. You do want help, don’t you?”

Webber nodded. His mum had always warned him not to talk to strangers, but it had been weeks since anyone had spoken to him, much less know he was there before running off screaming.

“Well that’s perfect then. I have just the solution. A place where no person will fear what you are. Where you can be back with your own kind again. Does that sound nice?” the figure said reassuringly.

Webber nodded again. Going back home sounded amazing. The figure took a drag of his cigar and blew.

“Okay. Good enough for me kid. Normally I’d have you sign, but you aren’t exactly old enough for it to be binding anyway. We’ll just ignore that for now, shall we?”

Webber didn’t know exactly what that meant, but agreed.

“Um, okay. So what do you want me to do?”

“Oh, you’ve done all you had to. I’ll let my assistant take it away from here” The man said, the cigar illuminating his face as it broke into a wide grin.

Webber could hear a noise from all sides of the cave. Some kind of whispering. It started off quiet, and grew louder. He couldn’t tell what it, or they, were saying, but it put him on edge. Something felt wrong, and he was starting to get second thoughts. Before he could tell the stranger “no thank you” he saw something darting towards him. Shadows, darker than the shadows around him. A pair of dark hands detached themselves from the shadows of the cave and grabbed him. He yelped, while the stranger started laughing.

“See you in a moment, ‘Webber’. Come and stop by, if you get the chance.”

Webber screamed as he felt himself be pulled down into the ground, and the world went black. All there was, was shadow.

When examining a catcoon tail, Webber says it reminds him of his cat, whiskers. I think this could be a way to draw connections between one of the characters and Webber 

7 hours ago, Webber is bes said:

How did his skull end up In the ds world why would another spider kill him if he looks like a spider 

Doesn’t the skull have spider mandibles on it though? A purely human skull wouldn’t. 

6 hours ago, broskeet said:

When examining a catcoon tail, Webber says it reminds him of his cat, whiskers. I think this could be a way to draw connections between one of the characters and Webber 

Oooh, it was his cat? I guess I got it mixed up with his quote about his grandfather owning goats. It’s been a little while since I’ve played Webber. 

1 hour ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

Oooh, it was his cat? I guess I got it mixed up with his quote about his grandfather owning goats. It’s been a little while since I’ve played Webber. 

Well, both are a thing.

Catcoon- "A bit more feral than grandpa's cat."
Cat Tail- "I always liked pulling Whiskers' tail."
Volt Goat- "My father kept goats."

They aren't quite all complete, but the Quotes pages on the Wiki are a godsend for referencing while writing stuff like this. Tad easier than going through the game files at least, haha.

Archived