Sign in to follow this  
PeterA

[Game Update] - 368379

Recommended Posts

Maximum101    130

Wow, lot of people here on the forums STILL don't get it...

8 hours ago, Maximum101 said:

Congratulations! You just completed making Wilson 2.0!

What I mean is, Woodie has no downside (like Wilson) and his curses are now completely optional.

8 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Isn't...Winona Wilson 2.0? :wilson_curious:

This is basically a bit outdated now.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    4372

Why do characters need a downside really? I personally enjoy the reworks they’ve been doing, Winona, Warly, Willow & Woodie. They have been given new abilities that makes playing as them feel like a completely unique gameplay experience.

i am not sure Wortox or Wormwood even need Reworks, they both seem to be fairly well built. But everyone else could use some new features.. if for no other reason- just to make playing each of them fun & unique.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sunset Skye    8204
8 hours ago, Maximum101 said:

What I mean is, Woodie has no downside (like Wilson) and his curses are now completely optional.

Damn, full moons are optional now? That must be weird to deal with on pubs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Atkvin    559
11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why do characters need a downside really? I personally enjoy the reworks they’ve been doing, Winona, Warly, Willow & Woodie. They have been given new abilities that makes playing as them feel like a completely unique gameplay experience.

i am not sure Wortox or Wormwood even need Reworks, they both seem to be fairly well built. But everyone else could use some new features.. if for no other reason- just to make playing each of them fun & unique.

Mainly because

1. the veteran mentality that everything should be much harder, meaning these refreshes seem to make all these weak characters much stronger against what was already a game with a difficulty curve that flattens out heavy towards the end - it can be assumed new content will shake things up and challenge older players, but in the meantime a vocal minority will persist clamoring for more difficulty(which I agree on, at least in a progressive sense and not optional raid bosses I will never try to fight) claiming that the changes are (probably justifiably) aimed at casual/newcomer appeal

2. very interesting downsides like Wigfrid's meat diet can actually add to the gameplay experience and make the character more unique and interesting by virtue of having individual drawbacks to their powers to balance them against each other rather than just a competition of niches and abilities

imo Woodie is definitely the best refresh so far, he feels relatively balanced to me and very fun, and Klei's effort into all the new assets for him definitely don't go unnoticed. Winona and Willow probably had a ton of work too, especially Winona's wacky structures, but while I hope their fanbases enjoy them more, I personally still see them on the 'ok' scale and probably not likely to remain relevant with the trend of powerful character refreshes or new characters. Wortox is a blast, Wormwood I've heard can be tough and Warly is a mid/late game powerhouse

Edited by Atkvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    522
3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Damn, full moons are optional now? That must be weird to deal with on pubs.

I'd hardly call that a downside, since full moons are easily predicted and the random transformation itself is probably just a minor inconvenience or a free transformation that benefits you. Human woodie is really just a wilson who chops faster, and the transformations can't really harm you, even in the rare occasion that its poorly timed, you could probably use the benefits of each one to easily get to safety. So yeah I agree with him that it's pretty nonexistant.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    4372

Idk man, Willow is completely Immune to taking fire damage, she’s the only character in the entire game (that I know off) that can light an entire forest on fire watching everything around her die while standing in it and laughing.

on top of that she has a huge bear friend that now makes Wendy’s, Abigail ghost seem like a joke..

she starts with a personal lighter so crafting a torch isn’t needed and she can drop food on the ground and use the lighter to instantly cook it.

that seems fairly OP if you ask me.

 

what can Wilson do? Grow a Beard.. that’s it, what can Wendy do? Summon Abigail from her flower..

These two characters are (probably) the two I’m most curious about to see how they rework them.

i also hope that considering the shape-shifting forms of Woodie now that vary in sizes, that they’ll do something special with WX- maybe the more upgraded he becomes the bigger and scarier looking he can get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Queron81    445
2 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

I'd hardly call that a downside, since full moons are easily predicted and the random transformation itself is probably just a minor inconvenience or a free transformation that benefits you. Human woodie is really just a wilson who chops faster, and the transformations can't really harm you, even in the rare occasion that its poorly timed, you could probably use the benefits of each one to easily get to safety. So yeah I agree with him that it's pretty nonexistant.

What about the fact of the instant 0 hunger points when transforming back to woodie and loosing health instantly? Or the -20 health and -15 sanity when consuming idols? The -6 sanity while transformed? The loss of sanity gaining by planting pine cones? The doubled chance of spawning a treeguard?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0-VERSUS-1y    4899
41 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Damn, full moons are optional now? That must be weird to deal with on pubs.

They always were from Woodie's "obligatory beaver time" point of view: just go into Caves.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    4372
11 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

What about the fact of the instant 0 hunger points when transforming back to woodie and loosing health instantly? Or the -20 health and -15 sanity when consuming idols? The -6 sanity while transformed? The loss of sanity gaining by planting pine cones? The doubled chance of spawning a treeguard?

This is all prior to the hotfixes which PC has now but console does not, the instant loss of the full hunger meter is now a thing of the past. AND Were-Goose can swim! Woot can’t wait for this patch to officially hit Console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    522
11 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

What about the fact of the instant 0 hunger points when transforming back to woodie and loosing health instantly? Or the -20 health and -15 sanity when consuming idols? The -6 sanity while transformed? The loss of sanity gaining by planting pine cones? The doubled chance of spawning a treeguard?

I was including hunger when I said "minor annoyance". I can't think of any scenario where I wouldn't have like two meatballs ready to go at any full moon.

Well technically nobody is forcing you to use the totem, but either way I'd say the effects are negligible. The minus 20 sanity is a joke as sanity isn't an issue ever, just another annoyance so I suppose that is just another "minor annoyance". The 20 health really only affects you in the moose form since I assume you would be fighting, but in the other two forms who cares? You are probably just chopping trees or uhh running. But either way its just 20 hp, which is barely noticeably and easily healed after the transformation ends. The loss of sanity from pine cones... isn't a downside, but just something they removed. .And doesn't the tree guard thing not affect werebeaver? Either way its just a tree guard, quite literally the easiest "boss".  

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Queron81    445
4 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

I was including hunger when I said "minor annoyance". I can't think of any scenario where I wouldn't have like two meatballs ready to go at any full moon.

But in the end you still lost all your hunger (and some of your HP and sanity).

As an experienced player every downside isn't a real downside (except maybe a lower damage modifier), as you can prepare and handle it. No healing through food with Wormwood? Just use one of the other healing items or sleep in tent. Sanity drain from chopping trees or digging plants? Just replant or plant crops (what you are doing anyways) or just eat one of the many sanity food (what also is working well with Wickerbottom). Low maximum health with Maxwell? Just make sure to heal yourself more frequently and make sure you always wear armor in fight and have enough armor in inventory. Etc...

Treeguards are always interrupting the work, you wanted to do (gather wood), even if they are easy to fight. Yeah, they don't spawn when you are chopping as werebeaver, but this means you are forced to turn into werebeaver, if you want to avoid them. Could get boring to fight against treeguards repeatedly, if you don't need living logs (waving to Wormwood ;)).
 

42 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

Well technically nobody is forcing you to use the totem,

And nobody is technically forcing you to read books as Wickerbottom ;). So she ist just a better Wilson without being able to sleep, but being able to craft more things from the beginning and learning new recipes faster with just a science machine.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Variant    5416
2 hours ago, Queron81 said:

What about the fact of the instant 0 hunger points when transforming back to woodie and loosing health instantly? Or the -20 health and -15 sanity when consuming idols? The -6 sanity while transformed? The loss of sanity gaining by planting pine cones? The doubled chance of spawning a treeguard?

Take these away and he's not got a single downside.

We want Woodie, not Captain Canada. 

I want Captain Canada.

Edited by -Variant
Leggo my Eggo, please. I'm begging you.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    522
11 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

But in the end you still lost all your hunger (and some of your HP and sanity).

Yeah, again sanity and hunger are negligible at any stage of the game really. If you truly believe that's something that can kill you, then sure. This still would only happen on full moons the rest is at your own leisure.

13 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

As an experienced player every downside isn't a real downside (except maybe a lower damage modifier), as you can prepare and handle it. No healing through food with Wormwood? Just use one of the other healing items or sleep in tent. Sanity drain from chopping trees or digging plants? Just replant or plant crops (what you are doing anyways) or just eat one of the many sanity food (what also is working well with Wickerbottom). Low maximum health with Maxwell? Just make sure to heal yourself more frequently and make sure you always wear armor in fight and have enough armor in inventory. Etc...

Hey I completely agree downsides fall flat because as I like to say quite a lot hahaha is that DST relies way too much on memory to be challenging. Difference between Woodie's downside and Wormwood's is that Wormwood's changes how you play at least a little bit, you aren't going to be able to just stock up on blue caps, even though like you said there is a plethora of other ways to heal, it is still in my opinion the best downside in game, as in it actually does change how you play. Unfortunately I think Wormwood's perks are counterintuitive... like how his thorns armor encourages him to take damage, when that's the last thing you should want to do. 20 damage on Wormwood is much more urgent as he can't just gobble up like 2 butterflies, unlike Woodie who can.

17 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

Treeguards are always interrupting the work, you wanted to do (gather wood), even if they are easy to fight. Yeah, they don't spawn when you are chopping as werebeaver, but this means you are forced to turn into werebeaver, if you want to avoid them. Could get boring to fight against treeguards repeatedly, if you don't need living logs (waving to Wormwood ;)).

Again more of an annoyance than an actual downside. Look at Wormwood again, this barely changes how you play. I still stand by 20 hp and a minor amount of sanity being absolutely nothing, but again if that's an actual problem for you other characters' with real downsides would be much worse for you. But that's all it is. Boring and annoying.

20 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

And nobody is technically forcing you to read books as Wickerbottom ;). So she ist just a better Wilson without being able to sleep, but being able to craft more things from the beginning and learning new recipes faster with just a science machine.

I know you are being sarcastic by saying she is just a Wilson who learns recipes faster, but haha is that not true? Though her downside isn't the sanity drain from reading, its not being able to sleep. Even then.... that's nothing, as established, there is a plethora of other much more effective ways to heal. She totally is just a better Wilson like Woodie, again I'm not saying the other characters are perfect, far from that. I'm just pointing out that Woodie right now truly does not have a downside, which when done right could make for an awesome character. Another difference is that.. Woodie got his rework, the thing that was supposed to "fix" him, whereas Wickerbottom still has a shot. 

16 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Take these away and he's not got a single downside.

We want Woodie, not Captain Canada. 

I want Captain Canada.

Agreed, Woodie lost what made his character special for me, now he is practically just an unexplained Canadian shapeshifter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ezaroth    1127
2 hours ago, Crimson Chin said:

I was including hunger when I said "minor annoyance". I can't think of any scenario where I wouldn't have like two meatballs ready to go at any full moon.

Well technically nobody is forcing you to use the totem, but either way I'd say the effects are negligible. The minus 20 sanity is a joke as sanity isn't an issue ever, just another annoyance so I suppose that is just another "minor annoyance". The 20 health really only affects you in the moose form since I assume you would be fighting, but in the other two forms who cares? You are probably just chopping trees or uhh running. But either way its just 20 hp, which is barely noticeably and easily healed after the transformation ends. The loss of sanity from pine cones... isn't a downside, but just something they removed. .And doesn't the tree guard thing not affect werebeaver? Either way its just a tree guard, quite literally the easiest "boss".  

 

None of the character refreshes have major downsides, I don't see why Woodie need to have one.

Neither do the top tier characters (Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, WX). What are their downsides? Faster hunger drain? Can't sleep? Damage in rain? I could say that those are just 'minor annoyances' as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crimson Chin    522
5 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

None of the character refreshes have major downsides, I don't see why Woodie need to have one.

Neither do the top tier characters (Wolfgang, Wickerbottom, WX). What are their downsides? Faster hunger drain? Can't sleep? Damage in rain? I could say that those are just 'minor annoyances' as well.

If you read one of my replies  (the ones you confuse emoted :() you can see I already said that I don't think any of the characters are perfect. Woodie is just the worst offender and he already got a rework, unlike the top tier characters you listed who still have a chance to be fixed! Woodie is supposedly "fixed", but he still lacks a downside.

Edited by Crimson Chin
tiny grammar error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this