New Player Needs Direction

So I've been playing a little while but only have the basics figured out.  I've tried watching some Let's Plays but they always gloss over the nuances of building and expanding into new tech (the who, what where when why and hows).  So I've gotten to basic plumbing and basic farming and that's about it.  I just dug into my first non-start biome with 86 hours under my belt.  Again, because I really don't know WHAT to do.  If anyone has any suggestions for some videos that actually delve deeper into the tutorial side that would be great if you could share that info with me. 

Also, is there a way to delete an entire game file instead of just one .sav at a time (when I have 20+ in a folder)?

I really want to enjoy this game (and have to the point I have gotten) but really no clue on where to go from here.

I can suggest watching crypticfox on youtube.

Pick up one of his most recent bases and watch it from the start.
He's pretty good at explaining step by step what he does and why.

His stuff is actual gameplay footage though, so if you want to see different stuff being built and in action you might have to skip about a bit in his videos for what you need.

step 1. Start new game.
step 2. Pick 1 researcher, 1 digger, 1 rancher as your starting dupes with respective +7 in their fields.
step 3. Build toilets in any open space.
step 4. Build beds.
step 5. research farming. (make sure to put a light source next to research station when you unlock light source)
step 6. plant all mealwood you have.
step 7. build oxygen diffuser.
step 8. build CO2 trap for food storage.
step 9. start researching everything that exists in the tech tree except for rockets.
step 10. meanwhile, look for dreckos.
step 11. tame drecko and feed them mealwood. Get plastic and reed fiber from drecko.
step 12. make some refined metals in rock crusher.
step 13. build oxygen production based on self sustaining electrolyzers.
step 14. make atmo suits.
step 15. strike oil biome and dig out fossil.
* somewhere between step 10 and 15 make carbon skimmers.
step 16. make temporary metal refinery and make some steel.
step 17. make some cooling around your base and for your oxygen production with steel aquatuners.
step 18. finish researching everything you can.
step 19. make proper drecko ranches. Go full carnivore, get rid from mealwood.
step 20. start taming every geyser and volcano in vicinity. Get water and power from them.
step 21. decorate your base.
step 22. make a proper metal refinery with automatic cooling.
step 23. make ****load of steel.
step 24. dig towards space.
step 25. work on solar energy.
step 26. work on rockets.
step 27. send out space missions.
step 28. profit.
step 29. get thermium and super coolant.
step 30. start using oil by cooking it.
step 31. notice that your base lags.
step 32. start rebuilding everything to make the base less laggy.
step 33. give up on rebuilding.
step 34. start new colony while promising yourself that you will try to make your base better.
step 35. repeat from step 1.

1 hour ago, Ragin Cajun said:

So I've been playing a little while but only have the basics figured out.  I've tried watching some Let's Plays but they always gloss over the nuances of building and expanding into new tech (the who, what where when why and hows).  So I've gotten to basic plumbing and basic farming and that's about it.  I just dug into my first non-start biome with 86 hours under my belt.  Again, because I really don't know WHAT to do.  If anyone has any suggestions for some videos that actually delve deeper into the tutorial side that would be great if you could share that info with me. 

Also, is there a way to delete an entire game file instead of just one .sav at a time (when I have 20+ in a folder)?

I really want to enjoy this game (and have to the point I have gotten) but really no clue on where to go from here.

welcome to the forums.

i can assure you that wasting your life on these forums is worth it.

i dont have any videos to recommend, but guides (for example, on steam) can be an alternative to videos.

ranching hatches is also a good idea, gives you some meat / eggs, coal and some egg shells(which will be useful later)

Adding a conditional statement.

If at any time during steps 1-33, you notice 1 of the following skip straight to 34.

• Time spent gasping for air > time spent working
  • A duplicant has died and you cannot bear the guilt of your digital tamagotchi kicking the bucket.
  • Predicted time rebuilding > time to get back to where you were
  • borderlands 3
Spoiler

cmon @metallichydra, I was so close to posting next :p

5 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Adding a conditional statement.

If at any time during steps 1-33, you notice 1 of the following skip straight to 34.

• Time spent gasping for air > time spent working
  • A duplicant has died and you cannot bear the guilt of your digital tamagotchi kicking the bucket.
  • Predicted time rebuilding > time to get back to where you were
  • borderlands 3
  Hide contents

cmon @metallichydra, I was so close to posting next :p

Borderlands 3 isn't even out yet as far as I'm concerned. Not till next March.

2 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

i'm getting so many advertisements and you're telling me it's half a year away. What has the world come to.

There is a 6 month exclusive deal for the PC version on Epic. There are a few of us that will just wait out the 6 months for the Steam version. 

Just now, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Wait nobody answered this. You can delete your files from the folder or find a mod that does this, it may not exist yet.

you can just delete them straight from the folder C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\save_files
replace <User> with your username.

The guide was okay, but branch out whenever you want to experiment. Starting over is no big deal, neither is backing up a few saves when you see something you did wrong.

I would personally add, look into algae terrariums at around the same time as oxygen diffuser, make sure you have deoxidizer researched, and leave the polluted water bottles alone to off gas polluted oxygen which the deoxidizer will convert for you.

As early as possible, use the room guide and make rooms, these will help your morale a lot, and a room just needs to be enclosed and have a door, don't worry too much about the size of the room, and natural walls and floors count too. Latrine and barracks should be your first, but go for a great hall as soon as possible, +6 morale.

The printing pod is lighted, good place for anything improved by light, ie research station, bristle berry planters, etc.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I found GrindThisGame's QoL Mk3 playthrough series instructive to watch. Some things were changed in the launch upgrade, but he is still great and very pleasant to watch for learning the basics. He almost does not use any quirky mechanics/exploits, so watching him you will learn to use things exactly the way they were designed to be used. Later you will want to learn more advanced techniques/approaches, but I had a very nice entry into the game by watching his series, and then playing to my first petroleum rocket launch, before delving more into the depths of the game.

If you want ideas of directions to go, just read old posts on the forum!  They will give you a ton of ideas!  For specific things, I learned a lot from Francis John ( cannot find his handle here but he is here and on Youtube) and @Lifegrow 's and @Mullematsch 's youtube videos.   The others mentioned above are great too, every person learns best a little differently, check out a few different ones!

I'm seconding Steam guides, especially this one has helped me loads:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359110726

I'm really bad at "just doing" and that guide helped me understand things, plus the next one was also super helpful. Gets me to midgame, reliably.

I also found that editing your save game with duplicity (https://robophred.github.io/oni-duplicity/#/) can help in getting the right conditions to enjoy a save while learning new things. I.e. started with a super hot geyser or even vent next to your base but don't wanna give up for now? Change it to a cool slush geyser until you know how to stabilize your base and how to manage heat. Some may consider it cheating, but I've found it really lets me approach challenges at my own speed, which I appreciate.

Skye Storme did a video guide series which i found pretty helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbCLzFKeiWkM69zrZKMIO0VB_vc6sPMbU

I tried a few colonies on my own before I realized how deep this game was. So I looked for guides/tutorials on youtube. His was the newest one I managed to find and it was pretty good. I played on the same seed and made some deviations and did my own thing along the way as I got more comfortable with the game.

He often does Q&A streams so you can ask him about stuff in-game. 

On 15.9.2019 at 7:51 PM, beowulf2010 said:

.. version on Epic...wait out the 6 months for the Steam version. 

Steam will become the trashplatform for trash games and hq games will migrate to epic.
Around 40 new  games each day on steam and 70% of them sell not one single copy.
There will be never something like greenlight on epic, good thing.

On 16.9.2019 at 12:28 AM, Ragin Cajun said:

Something like this is asked on the forum every now and then. And people give out tons of advice HOW to do stuff while you wonder why to do it.

When I started ONI you could not really survive the game in a sense of a sustainable base (no geysers back then), so the why was pretty obvious, strive out to survive as long as possible. I think the game does not drive you so much now, it is more forgiving in the early game with standard settings. But you will run into evolve or die problems at some point. That is where the how to videos come in very handy.

So why dig out and bother with higher tech?

I can tell you what it is for me

- curiosity. I want to see it all in action. Rockets, complex machinery, high level automation.

- greed. Like in Minecraft, have plenty of everything and then get some more.

- challenge. I am still on the max number of dupes challenge. Although late game ai lag and game crashes make that a hard quest.

- build a new home that is worth living in for my little cute hamster dupes. Not the usual cot and a statue works places, but the best possible place in the sense of aesthetics, leisure and food. 

some things others do I read about here, not my boat though

- ONI physics. Learn all about the strange little differences to our world.

- find game exploits before they are closed. Make stuff without any effort.

- reduce complex problems to the simplest solutions. I am often amazed by the genius designs for machines and automation here in the forums. Even after more than 2.000 hours I still learn new things every time I play or move through this forum.

- modding

This game is really open world. A god game with nearly limitless potential. Pick a choice why to play it or come up with your own reasons. You will be rewarded.

Archived