Is there a way to report players from Klei Official DST Servers?

This is my first time posting on here. I guess it's just the heat of the moment getting to me and I need to rant. And I am wondering if someone's offensive and bothersome behaviors that caused trouble for other players in these Klei Official Servers for DST would get them punished or not (maybe something like a strike/warning).

So, I was playing in a Klei Official Server for DST called Slurtle Slime. I was starting up my own base while the others in the game had set up their base (mainly because I prefer to have a base closer to the beefalo herds in case of hound attacks). So, I think by day 10-11, someone texted into the game saying they want to rollback because they had a birch monster. I found it really ridiculous and stupid because they basically had at least 3-4 people using that base and I felt like they should be able to handle one birch monster on their own. And if they cannot, then they shouldn't had chopped down any birch trees to begin with (I try to only cut down pine trees for that reason - I find tree guards a lot more easier to take care of). And then, apparently, someone was smart enough to set the birch monster on fire (?) so they burnt down their base. At least that's what I think happened because the conversation was everywhere and I wasn't physically at their base at that moment. 

Finding the entire situation absurd, I rejected the idea of rolling back because I already found chester and I didn't want to rebuild my base. We voted and I think it was 2-3. I don't really remember the exact numbers of votes, but in the end, we didn't roll back. Another person who found my base earlier was staying with me and we invited them to our base instead so they don't have to start from zero. Everything was going fine for the next few days. Then after a night of shaving beefalos, I came back to the base and found everything torched to the ground. Asking someone, apparently the player who requested to rollback earlier was using a firestaff and had purposefully set everything off on fire. 

The culprit came back holding the firestaff and was trying to justify his actions by saying something along the line of "now you both know how it feels for us when our base burned down and you guys were mean and didn't want to roll back."

I found his/her actions really childish and stupid. In the end, I'd just left the game because I was getting hungry and didn't want to deal with the situation. In the beginning, I thought I was being nice enough to let them join me so they don't have to build everything from scratch. However, apparently, that person really only joined our base to take revenge (?) even though it wasn't even my fault that they burnt down their own base.

Relatively, I usually have a fairly good experience from these Klei servers (well, this time is an exception). I don't wish this to become something too common because it can really be a turn off for everyone else who have a habits of joining such servers. I wonder if there is anything that can be done about these situations? Or if anyone wanna share about similar experiences, feel free to reply to this thread.

Official Klei servers are pretty much a lawless wasteland, as are most public servers. There are some dedicated servers with griefer announcements so anytime someone sets something on fire it is broadcasted across the server. Those servers are also usually set up with the ability to vote kick. I'd recommend going to those servers if you really want to have a good experience. 

Overall, I just use public servers to meet people and once I get a nice group, ask them if they want to do our own server. Longevity can be tough if you are constantly getting new faces and icebox moochers. 

16 hours ago, baroro1217 said:

This is my first time posting on here. I guess it's just the heat of the moment getting to me and I need to rant. And I am wondering if someone's offensive and bothersome behaviors that caused trouble for other players in these Klei Official Servers for DST would get them punished or not (maybe something like a strike/warning).

So, I was playing in a Klei Official Server for DST called Slurtle Slime. I was starting up my own base while the others in the game had set up their base (mainly because I prefer to have a base closer to the beefalo herds in case of hound attacks). So, I think by day 10-11, someone texted into the game saying they want to rollback because they had a birch monster. I found it really ridiculous and stupid because they basically had at least 3-4 people using that base and I felt like they should be able to handle one birch monster on their own. And if they cannot, then they shouldn't had chopped down any birch trees to begin with (I try to only cut down pine trees for that reason - I find tree guards a lot more easier to take care of). And then, apparently, someone was smart enough to set the birch monster on fire (?) so they burnt down their base. At least that's what I think happened because the conversation was everywhere and I wasn't physically at their base at that moment. 

Finding the entire situation absurd, I rejected the idea of rolling back because I already found chester and I didn't want to rebuild my base. We voted and I think it was 2-3. I don't really remember the exact numbers of votes, but in the end, we didn't roll back. Another person who found my base earlier was staying with me and we invited them to our base instead so they don't have to start from zero. Everything was going fine for the next few days. Then after a night of shaving beefalos, I came back to the base and found everything torched to the ground. Asking someone, apparently the player who requested to rollback earlier was using a firestaff and had purposefully set everything off on fire. 

The culprit came back holding the firestaff and was trying to justify his actions by saying something along the line of "now you both know how it feels for us when our base burned down and you guys were mean and didn't want to roll back."

I found his/her actions really childish and stupid. In the end, I'd just left the game because I was getting hungry and didn't want to deal with the situation. In the beginning, I thought I was being nice enough to let them join me so they don't have to build everything from scratch. However, apparently, that person really only joined our base to take revenge (?) even though it wasn't even my fault that they burnt down their own base.

Relatively, I usually have a fairly good experience from these Klei servers (well, this time is an exception). I don't wish this to become something too common because it can really be a turn off for everyone else who have a habits of joining such servers. I wonder if there is anything that can be done about these situations? Or if anyone wanna share about similar experiences, feel free to reply to this thread.

Klei servers are pretty much a hit-or-miss in terms of sanity. I’d recommend joining a community group that has dedicated moderators and ban lists.

It sucks, I know the feeling.

Try finding some folks on the Don't Starve/Together Discord (believe that's the official one) and/or Diverse Survivors. The latter runs their own dedicated servers and will happily ban griefers, if you have proof. 

I actually enjoy how chaotic most pub servers are, so I never go in with the mind set that things will go as planned. It keeps the game fresh for me.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, zoom21 said:

As far as I know, there's no way that Klei could help you
If you want to avoid situations like this one, just don't play public servers

There are many public servers run by communities that activity ban griefers. Klei doesn't have the manpower to police their game. That's what the communities are for. Find one that you enjoy and use their servers. I am apart of several that I'll link below. They have built massive griefer lists to keep these people off their servers.

Diverse Survivors - Discord

DST_Survivors - Steam

Edit: added Steam group

The klei pubs are basically DST's non-pvp version of 2B2T

you can do literally everything and nothing can stop you.

This is my 5 hour playthrough i just got out from.

Spoiler

20190830213222_1.thumb.jpg.44dcf3add48deabf0620899ea8a331b5.jpg20190830224034_1.thumb.jpg.9f4adff7c873cfb64f795ec05ced9c8f.jpg20190830225521_1.thumb.jpg.9dac2972c0085d3af8888f18c7d24e8a.jpg20190830225629_1.thumb.jpg.9434d13a045e655f1a973c1659b8e955.jpg20190830231907_1.thumb.jpg.664c11f34c8e0c8682bec5e167b72849.jpg20190830234843_1.thumb.jpg.8b3db255187e956b2dd60b76503ba1fd.jpg20190831000151_1.thumb.jpg.6cedd706def7c8c76f1fceec71ff7ef3.jpg20190831012059_1.thumb.jpg.21816c0a761baa2de3251d7dea94f9e0.jpg20190831012107_1.thumb.jpg.d2e643f76624f3d9abe61dd387819183.jpg20190831012113_1.thumb.jpg.843bccfb7d2e7ef1cab5f920ae7449f7.jpg

Over-all the pubs are a chaotic land where you have the guys from Clayfish was here! server getting over day 5000 and then you have your experience.

Klei doesn't have a report function in DST. They don't police their servers or game. The best advice for a player like you is to play on servers hosted by groups that have a discord. On discord you can contact the server's host, and tell them about players who should be banned for griefing, and they can also rollback the server before your base was burned. Klei publics have always been open to everyone, including trolls and children, and you have to accept that crappy behavior is bound to happen at some point.

I am sorry you have had this bad experience.  Base burning is a typical Troll move.  Sorry to say what you have experience happens all the time. That is why we have the rollback.  All of us could tell you so many stories of how we have been Trolled by base burning, stealing all resources, Ghosts draining sanity and don't leave, ppl come to the the base and just eating all the food and then leaving.  The list of the way trolls enjoy destroying the game is endless.     

Don't give up. 

Others have stayed on a public server for many days. (Clayfish was here! server getting over day 5000 )

Remember it is just a game.

I would check the server bulletin, or join one of the dedicated servers that has a community, it'll usually say if it does in the description.

klei officials are basically a clusterfuck so it's what you play when you just want to **** around because those servers never last longer than a day or two before being reset and everybody does what they want.

12 hours ago, Bee2017 said:

I am sorry you have had this bad experience.  Base burning is a typical Troll move.  Sorry to say what you have experience happens all the time. That is why we have the rollback.  All of us could tell you so many stories of how we have been Trolled by base burning, stealing all resources, Ghosts draining sanity and don't leave, ppl come to the the base and just eating all the food and then leaving.  The list of the way trolls enjoy destroying the game is endless.     

Don't give up.

[Emphasis mine]

So true, being followed, stealing stuff, mooching, planting spiders in base, etc. The list goes on.

Don't give up. You let the griefers win if you do. Roll back if you can. If you can't, join another server if you want. But don't give up. Don't even go and grief them either (as tempting as it may be).

13 hours ago, Ermac__ said:

klei officials are basically a clusterfuck so it's what you play when you just want to **** around because those servers never last longer than a day or two before being reset and everybody does what they want.

Glommer Goop is currently on 1084 days and Clayfish is currently on 702 days XD

From my experience, the long running server tend to be more friendly, provided you can carry your weight.

22 minutes ago, blizstorm said:

Glommer Goop is currently on 1084 days and Clayfish is currently on 702 days XD

From my experience, the long running server tend to be more friendly, provided you can carry your weight.

Since we're plugging servers, DST US East 1,2,3 are also very good long term servers with close moderation. #Shamlessplug

2 hours ago, Ermac__ said:

Since we're plugging servers, DST US East 1,2,3 are also very good long term servers with close moderation. #Shamlessplug

I've played on these several times. Never had any real issues, though I don't think I ever met a moderator. If I did, I didn't know it, lol.

6 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Don't mark base

But how can I resist marking it when the Moon Dial and Lazy Deserter are sooooo good looking and useful? I-... I can't sir. I'd build them in my own house if I could!

(Not Ocuvigil though, that thing is better on a boat then on base)

Edit: Also Klei, can we please get more Moonlens Structures, pretty pleaseeeee <3 

On 8/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, baroro1217 said:

Im sorry that this happened to you but let me explain why you shouldn't play on klei official servers or any server that you or your friends aren't hosting.

DST is a game where worlds get dried up by players, it was meant as a single player game but when they introduced multiplayer, they couldn't fix this issue, there's many resources that you'll run out if there's a lot of players on a server and there's also no security against griefers.

Public klei servers reset daily, there's no one that will actually play on day 80 world when he just joined and can just die to reset and restore the resources. There have been situations where players kept these worlds going for 1000 days or longer but it is just not worth doing that, why put so much effort in having one of your friends online at any given moment and also players can burn it when the player online isn't in the base.

When i used to play on public klei servers i rarely made a base on my own for the reason of not getting it griefed. There was even a time where i made base in caves hidden where no griefers would actually come.

Your best bet is to either host a server via hosting service or host it on your pc, but if you host it on your pc it is mostly for yourself as sometimes your friends may want to play when you aren't on. Keep the server private and just for friends unless you want to introduce world regen mod which will actually make the game beyond easy, with everything respawning every  couple of days including mandrakes, you could destroy all pig houses and they  respawn while you gather boards/cut stone.

When you want to play don't starve, you usually want to have some control over what is happening, you can't really enjoy the game on public servers because this game doesn't function well as a multiplayer game. If there is 20 active players on a server every day, you'll see how fast it will run out of some of the resources and the mods that people use to protect your buildings make the game not DST anymore, they disable burning so you have no trouble protecting base during summer and the bosses also cannot destroy buildings or people would use them for griefing.

You will probably also want to clear the game in a way, there's no end in DST but you make your own goals, i like killing all bosses and making a massive base. I don't actually play 24 hours at one time to do that, i dedicate a few hours every day and that is just not possible on public klei servers that reset if you aren't on and a player just dies.

There's nothing much left to say, you either host it if you have a good pc or pay a hosting service if you want it to run 24/7 for  friends. If you are in the same timezone you can just use  your pc.

2 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

DST is a game where worlds get dried up by players, it was meant as a single player game but when they introduced multiplayer, they couldn't fix this issue, there's many resources that you'll run out if there's a lot of players on a server and there's also no security against griefers.

Public klei servers reset daily, there's no one that will actually play on day 80 world when he just joined and can just die to reset and restore the resources. There have been situations where players kept these worlds going for 1000 days or longer but it is just not worth doing that, why put so much effort in having one of your friends online at any given moment and also players can burn it when the player online isn't in the base.

I so disagree with this.  I had no friends that enjoyed playing DST as much as I did.  I have met so many good ppl on the Klei public servers.  You are so wrong.  It is worth trying to keep a Klei server going past 1000 days just to show people like you that Klei servers are worth it. 

I want to hear an update on how things are going?   

On 9/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, Bee2017 said:

I so disagree with this.  I had no friends that enjoyed playing DST as much as I did.  I have met so many good ppl on the Klei public servers.  You are so wrong.  It is worth trying to keep a Klei server going past 1000 days just to show people like you that Klei servers are worth it. 

I want to hear an update on how things are going?   

Klei official servers are not worth it, i am not saying that they shouldn't exist but at least disable fire spread/change it to endless and only restart it once it hits like 1000 days to make it worthwhile, disable hammering structures. These are public servers, they don't need to allow griefing to exist there.

If you have no friends, it can be worthwhile to meet people there but you can just as easily meet people on forums without having to waste time on a server where you'll lose your stuff or have it griefed.  Why should i spend 5-20  hours to meet 4-6 good people/players when i can just as easily talk to people on the forums who i can read much easier and discover their personalities because of their detailed thoughts on the discussions we have about the game.

8 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Klei official servers are not worth it, i am not saying that they shouldn't exist but at least disable fire spread/change it to endless and only restart it once it hits like 1000 days to make it worthwhile, disable hammering structures. These are public servers, they don't need to allow griefing to exist there.

If you have no friends, it can be worthwhile to meet people there but you can just as easily meet people on forums without having to waste time on a server where you'll lose your stuff or have it griefed.  Why should i spend 5-20  hours to meet 4-6 good people/players when i can just as easily talk to people on the forums who i can read much easier and discover their personalities because of their detailed thoughts on the discussions we have about the game.

if you disable hammering/breaking structures trollers can easily block the portal entrance with walls

just dont go to klei server if you want to play fair, its just full of peoples playing other way around

pubs are better because there is actual host and might be able to report

1 hour ago, Poebus said:

if you disable hammering/breaking structures trollers can easily block the portal entrance with walls

just dont go to klei server if you want to play fair, its just full of peoples playing other way around

pubs are better because there is actual host and might be able to report

There are always solutions like disabling walls, you don't even need walls in the game, especially on klei servers.

Anyway i just mentioned why people shouldn't play on klei or public servers, there's no point either way.

Public servers have their own issues and most of them reset too soon, only some are "endless" with 1000-2000 days or more. You need at least that many days considering you won't be playing 24/7, if there is always someone playing and you only play 2-4 hours a  day, it is easy for server  to have 2000 days while you have like 200-300.

For public server to have resources for over 500 days, they need world regrowth mod which basically makes the whole game pointless with how much resources you get. Clockworks respawn meaning you have easy infinite purple gems and gears/mandrakes. I played WX on one server like this and i had over 100 gears, basically i could fight almost anything and always heal and gather gears as much as i wanted, i could just eat gears for hunger.

Another issue here is that there's not many servers you'll find with 1000 or more days, there's one for Russian players but i've only found a couple for english, like 1-2. Also they may not have mods to your liking, one has extra equipment slots and others that make game too easy.

Only way for you to enjoy don't starve together experience meaning to have friends with you is to pay for host, if you are playing alone you can just host it on your pc as you don't need it online 24/7. Its not visable to host in on your pc 2-6 hours a day as your friends might not be available at that moment or may want to play after, also its not worthwhile to have your pc on 24/7 and damage your computer when hosting isn't that expensive.

When i say pay for host, i don't mean have a public server but a private one for your friends, so you don't need to use world regen mod. One of the selling points of DST is that some resources are not easy to manage as there's too few of them.

It would be nice to have a report function for people who say racial slurs and stuff like that (I saw a server in the beta branch today that had a name that was just slurs), but the thing that makes it tricky to treat griefing as a reportable offense in DST is that antagonistic gameplay and costly mistakes are both part of the Klei-intended scope of the game, unlike many co-op games. I think even the public servers are meant to allow the option of players competing against each other to survive, although it's clearly not the preferred option given that they're set to Cooperative playstyle and don't allow direct PvP combat.

If there were mods banning griefers from the public servers, which is too expensive for Klei's budget already, they would often have to make their calls based on what a player's motive appeared to be for destroying a base rather than whether they did or did not destroy the base. I don't think that's impossible; I just think it'd cost more to ensure they got good enough mods to do it, and enforcement would still probably be a little unreliable because of how often it'd come down to a judgment call.

Archived