[Observation] On the Ancient Guardian's Lair

It seems that the Guardian's lair has new generation which ensures that cheesing no longer is effective - graves are spaced farther, the pillars are placed such that the exploit no longer works.

I've seen this so far on two worlds. On one, I failed to take a screenshot after I died exploring the lair, desperately searching for the exploitables. I then rollbacked and the save was before I explored it, and also leaving me with no map data as I left to prepare for a proper fight with a statue (which will be long and drawn out no less, thanks to Rosalina's damage. Well, It's a nice balance she's got.).

On another, tho, here's a screenshot:

20190827210245_1.thumb.jpg.dd8071a2e02a28a191b389c1341a28ef.jpg

No grave i found was close enough to each other or the edge to be exploitable. This pillar was the only one not directly beside the edge, and it wouldn't let me reach the beast.

Can someone please confirm these on new worlds? Or have I just been extremely unlucky?

If this is true, I'm actually legitimately happy. Fighting Ancient Guardian the "real" way is a really fun fight.

Too bad in DST, his health is equal to that of a raid boss.

This just means that you wont get a guardian horn or fuelweaver access very early on when you're not supposed to.

26 minutes ago, snugglysnootertoot said:

The thing is, it's possible to stand in front of AG and hit it without getting hit back. No graves, a pillar or anything else to block it.

That was still working a few days ago (haven't tried since) so even if the arena did get some update AG itself is still glitchy.

yep, same thing with rooks except AG is deadlier

No biggie, the new meta would be (if really wanting to play as safe as one gets) pre-building a Potter's Wheel and quickly make 2 statues close beside one-another that act like pillars/graves and spam F. Waste of time the old classic "as intended" way if alone, loot most of times is mediocre at best. If going at it in (at least) a pair, position 1 in front, 1 behind and tandem-hit it, pretty much same result without retaliation if alternating correctly.

8 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

No biggie, the new meta would be (if really wanting to play as safe as one gets) pre-building a Potter's Wheel and quickly make 2 statues close beside one-another that act like pillars/graves and spam F.

statues can't act as pillars because the guardian destroys statues.

the only real reason why an exploit being removed would be a bad thing is when the content is less fun when you can't use the exploit

i don't think i'd generally ever fight the ancient guardian if i couldn't cheese it . would cost so many resources to tank it or so much time to spend several days kiting it around chipping away at it ; i'd rather stay on the surface and organize the base storage or something

same applies to like seventy percent of the bosses 'cuz they all got such artificially high health

7 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

the only real reason why an exploit being removed would be a bad thing is when the content is less fun when you can't use the exploit

i don't think i'd generally ever fight the ancient guardian if i couldn't cheese it . would cost so many resources to tank it or so much time to spend several days kiting it around chipping away at it ; i'd rather stay on the surface and organize the base storage or something

same applies to like seventy percent of the bosses 'cuz they all got such artificially high health

Rock lobsters are a god send. Just get an army of them and let them do the dirty work.

5 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

No grave i found was close enough to each other or the edge to be exploitable. This pillar was the only one not directly beside the edge, and it wouldn't let me reach the beast.

Did you try Tail o' Three Cats? It has increased attack range (but a damage of an axe).

10 hours ago, SplOrange said:

i don't think they did anything regarding the ancient guardian arena's pillars and graves, perhaps the ToT world generation indirectly changed it. even if they did it doesn't really matter, you don't need them!

this gonna be fixed on next bug fixed :wilson_facepalm:

12 hours ago, SplOrange said:

i don't think they did anything regarding the ancient guardian arena's pillars and graves, perhaps the ToT world generation indirectly changed it. even if they did it doesn't really matter, you don't need them!

And now show all the clips this didn't work (and possibly ended up horridly), heh :livid:

2 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

And now show all the clips this didn't work (and possibly ended up horridly), heh :livid:

first try actually, your ability to stunlock the guardian is based on your attack speed, which seemingly fluctuates based on many unknown factors.

if you rewatch the video, the only thing i did was attack him while he was vulnerable, no timing necessary 

7 hours ago, Toros said:

Ancient Guardian “as intended” is the worst boss fight in the game.  Tedious, repetitive, way too much hp to grind through.

I can’t imagine how anyone could consider it fun relative to all the other bosses.

With Singleplayer HP, it slaps tho fr

I don't have a single idea about why is everyone agreeing here, I've created many world recently and even killed a Ancient Guardian today on a map from a day ago, the pillars and graves still spawn "correctly" as always

1.png.b9bcc4b1e3dbb3221a3155477204fa9d.png

Archived