Moon Glass Pitchfork(Or other moon glass tools?)

Just a RoT idea I got, a Moon Glass pitchfork! Simply put the moon glass pitchfork could dig a 3x3 area of turf for faster mass turf digging!

Anywho, this thread is about more then my mere suggestion, what tools do you think should have moon glass equivalents and how would they work?

Moon glass shears for getting more grass/wool. 
Moon spyglass for map exploring could be fine too.
And  glass stuff (smth like lens?) for making lighthouse which work like Winona's Spotlight, but only for boats and  with more big range. It could be great imo.

1 hour ago, Terra M Welch said:

Just a RoT idea I got, a Moon Glass pitchfork! Simply put the moon glass pitchfork could dig a 3x3 area of turf for faster mass turf digging!

Anywho, this thread is about more then my mere suggestion, what tools do you think should have moon glass equivalents and how would they work?

3x3 per use: 800% increased speed, that's 3.6 times faster compared to Moon Glass Axe which grants only 150% increased speed. That's bit way too OP. It should more like work like a pitchfork with 1x2 area per use or 2x2 but the animation is only half as fast.

Other ideas...
Moon Glass Razor: Shaves 2.5 Beefalos at once.
Moon Glass Shovel: Creates a shockwave on use, digging up nearby stumps, moleworms, rabbits, mushrooms, etc.
Moon Glass Pickaxe: Breaks on use, creating a shockwave mining all nearby rocks.
Moon Glass... Whirly Fan: Chills you down like a Moon Caller's Staff & extinguishes nearby fires.
Moon Glass Feather Pencil: Can be used 10 times before it breaks.

... perhaps these ideas don't sound that good.

53 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

In what situation will digging turf faster ever be overpowered??

An axe grants you 0.2 logs per swing, the moon glass axe grants 0.5 logs per swing. A shovel used on a stump grants you 1 log per use, a pitchfork used on the ground grants you 1 log worth of fuel per use. 

And the Moon Glass Pitchfork would give you 9 logs worth of fuel per use. Where's the need for gathering logs if you can get a total of 9 logs with just a single use? It will work everywhere as long as your world didn't turn into a desert yet. 

And having a nice base should require some work too. If a pitchfork with 3x3 area isn't OP, then a 5x5 pitchfork isn't OP too, because it's only ~2.5 times stronger than the 3x3, which is 9 times stronger than the 1x1 one.

Edit: Is it actually worth it to explain anything in this forum if nobody understands balance?

2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

And the Moon Glass Pitchfork would give you 9 logs worth of fuel per use. Where's the need for gathering logs if you can get a total of 9 logs with just a single use? It will work everywhere as long as your world didn't turn into a desert yet. 

...are you arguing that digging turf faster would be overpowered because you can use the turf as fuel?

Maybe that'd be a valid argument if burning a piece of turf didn't permanently remove it from the world with no way to regain it literally ever (with the exception of the very few crafted turfs), but that's not how turf works. As you said yourself, the world will eventually turn into a "desert" of barren turf. It's not overpowered to be able to harvest a nonrenewable resource to use as fuel.

Also... why are you implying that the only use of logs is fire fuel? Logs and turf aren't interchangeable, because you aren't going to be able to use that turf for crafting recipes that require logs.

12 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

And having a nice base should require some work too. If a pitchfork with 3x3 area isn't OP, then a 5x5 pitchfork isn't OP too, because it's only ~2.5 times stronger than the 3x3, which is 9 times stronger than the 1x1 one.

Let's just focus on the idea of the Moon Glass Pitchfork. How is digging up so much turf in so little time considered overpowered? There's no way that being able to work on designing a base or relocating turf with such a good sounding tool sounds broken in the slightest. Can you explain what makes such an idea busted? If anything, by the time you can get the pitchfork, designing a nice base is the least of your concerns by that point.

2 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

As you said yourself, the world will eventually turn into a "desert" of barren turf. It's not overpowered to be able to harvest a nonrenewable resource to use as fuel.

Says the solo player, what? Did you ever invite other unknown players into your world? They won't care that your world turns slowly into a desert (your base included). 

First of I for one don't care about the possible existence of a Moon Glass Pitchfork or it being able to dig 0.01 or 100 turfs, thus I have a dead horse in this race. But to Sunset and TheKing: I suppose Viktor is referring in this case to balance in strictly mechanical terms, as a principle. And from that point of view he is correct: game needs to feel wholesome and uniform in its workings and whatnot, and because a feature isn't really useful in general doesn't mean it shouldn't follow said principle of broad balance. That stated, indeed number of people actually using the Pitchfork is very very low in bulk player-base, as most people don't actually build bases, or rather don't build organized, tidy complex bases where they would stress with turfs and turf placements - so a Pitchfork able to dig NxN turfs and lose 1 durability could slip the balance principle without many "side-effects".

As for myself, I consider all tools should be able to get a Moon Glass variant. (And pls KLei, do take into consideration in future the ability to skin golden tools, and maybe a skin for Pickaxe as well, ty! :encouragement:)

46 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Says the solo player, what? Did you ever invite other unknown players into your world? They won't care that your world turns slowly into a desert (your base included). 

Why did this go from "3x3 pitchforks would be overpowered because you can get easy fire fuel" to "3x3 pitchforks should not be added because I set my worlds to public"? They're two different issues, and I'd say that this one is significantly less valid.

So many things can go wrong if you're opening your world to the public, such as beefalo/volt goat herds being killed, important resources being burnt, valuables being stolen and possibly logged out with, structures being broken, hounds or giants spawning on a player who refuses to leave base, etc. Is it really likely that, considering all of this, the biggest problem you will have with a public world is unknown players going to the moon islands, gathering moon glass, crafting a moon glass pitchfork, then digging up all your turf and using it for fire fuel?

24 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Why did this go from "3x3 pitchforks would be overpowered because you can get easy fire fuel" to "3x3 pitchforks should not be added because I set my worlds to public"?

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

It will work everywhere as long as your world didn't turn into a desert yet. 

Btw. there's no need to start such a topic if you're playing DST solo 24/7: You have access to debug and mods, you're able to spawn yourself everything you want to have. There's no need to give everyone access to cheats if you already can use them.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Btw. there's no need to start such a topic if you're playing DST solo 24/7: You have access to debug and mods, you're able to spawn yourself everything you want to have. There's no need to give everyone access to cheats if you already can use them.

A 3x3 pitchfork made with materials from the lunar islands isn't even close to comparable with cheating. You put time and effort into finding the islands, assembling the altar and getting moon glass to save time and effort in digging turf. Turf isn't infinite. If you're going to use it for fuel, it won't be long before you have to start going to inconveniently far places to get more (especially since it only stacks to 10.) If If you're going to craft roads, the main obstacle is your path is the wood, not the rocky turf. You have to chop a fully grown tree and dig its stump for one tile of cobblestones.

And plus, it's not like the game is focused on solo worlds. I've been playing on an endless world with several friends. About as much as I'd love a refuelable lazy forager, I can't make them add a mod for it because mods have a generally bad reputation and the community tends to see them as unbalanced or unfair (a mod with an axe that has twice the chopping power would've been considered game breaking before the moon glass axe was implemented).

That's funny cause... :wilson_sneaky:

frame_moonshovel.gif.5411d78ff8e9a83b5f89ddefb341272c.gif

Since its release I planned to update it to add maybe a pitchfork that can dug turfs in a cross shape around the player,

but I not sure if I'll make something for the pickaxe since there's more tool that have no other forms and mining moon shards to make picks that mine even more sounds not like the best strategie of all, I'll maybe keep you tuned about this pitchfork if I'm over with my other stuff... ^^

4 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

well I am currently playing with a random stranger that didn't even have dst so i lend him my alt account and he would make a base with nice turf everywhere possible.

Let's meet in the middle and go with 2x2 Pitchfork. We may use it to make roads which takes up the most pitchfork uses.

As for other tools:

• Pickaxe: Same as axe, 2.5 times more efficient, less durability.
  • Hammer: Gives back 100% materials. Green Staff mostly used on items anyway.
  • Razor: Yields 2.5 more wool/beardhair. Have durability.
  • Shovel: No sanity reduction when digging graves.

I'm gonna be honest.

I don't think I'd ever use that. Whenever I dig turfs for my base, it really doesn't take long anyway for me clear the ground anyway. I thought it was so trivial I never even thought of pitchforking being a chore. I craft a single pitchfork, put fancy turf in my base, make a cobblestone area for fights, then generally forget it even exists with its 23% durability remaining. I sure as heck wouldn't go and use moon glass to make an already quick and one-and-done task become even quicker and 0.11-and-done, as I just don't think it'd be needed.

I'm curious, is digging turfs actually some big thing that people need to do that a better, more efficient tool is really necessary? Not once did the thought of a more effective pitchfork ever cross my mind while playing.

11 minutes ago, Auth said:

I'm curious, is digging turfs actually some big thing that people need to do that a better, more efficient tool is really necessary? Not once did the thought of a more effective pitchfork ever cross my mind while playing.

Personally I was playing Hamlet once and wanted to make a pig city ( basic size ) on the last island but it took me like over 10 days before i finally cleared it out

On 9.8.2019 at 7:00 PM, Mooagain said:

It amazes me how this small post about a buffed Pitchfork sparks this much forum war.

The truth is sometimes really painful. Most players don't want to agree with me because they want to spend way less time for decorating their base. 

Archived