Oxygen on forest biome starts?

OK, so how is everyone handling O2 production on the forest biome starts?  I've done 2 colonies on Arboria now and in both cases

I've just had to abandon the base after a dozen or so cycles.  No algae, way to little water to electrolyze (or really even to support 

domesticated oxyferns), wild oxyferns are not nearly enough (and are usually in such bad positions that they stifle constantly), and

I haven't had a rust/salt biome close enough to use for the rust deoxidizer.  ???

I had no problems using just the following:

• Natural gas pockets and oxylite
  • Wild oxygerns [I would never consider domesticating those.]
  • Electrolyzers
  • Wash basins without a bottle emptier set to polluted water

But one of the first things I rushed was a lavatory loop which sends all excess water to my electrolyzers.

=> Just use what your given and search for one of the guaranteed steam vents.

22 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Wild oxygerns [I would never consider domesticating those.]

They use about the same mount of water bristle berries use. I`d say domesticate them first. You get about 12 in the biome and it should keep you sutained for the first 30 or so cycles after which you should be able to reach rust. Then just uproot them if you run low on water.

Another thing i`d do is rush for the caustic biomes. They often have large patches of algae. Supplement your oxyferns with terrariums and you should be fine. Even add a wood burner to have enough CO2 for the ferns.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:
27 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Wild oxygerns [I would never consider domesticating those.]

They use about the same mount of water bristle berries use.

But if the lack of water is my problem, I prefer to leave them wild and save my water for wash basins or electrolyzers a bit later.

[Wash basins have a better oxygen production efficiency than electrolyzers, if you consider to breach polluted oxygen.^^]

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Even add a wood burner to have enough CO2 for the ferns.

Oxyferns have the same CO2/O2 ratio like breathing duplicants.

Matter conversion shouldn´t happen anymore and I don´t think you have an other use for CO2 that early.

=> There is no need to produce additional CO2 [besides a "bad" base layout]

Domestic Oxyferns have roughly the same amount of water efficiency as electrolyzers. Water on Arboria is super rare, so instead take advantage of the huge amounts of dirt and free wild plants. Pips can replant oxyferns into your CO2 pits, and you'll never run out of raw meal lice to eat. You have to stay small until another major source of oxygen is available.

Suffocating dupes seem to consume less oxygen overall, so even if the atmosphere gets super thin, it can still be enough to get by.

55 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

But if the lack of water is my problem, I prefer to leave them wild and save my water for wash basins or electrolyzers a bit later.

[Wash basins have a better oxygen production efficiency than electrolyzers, if you consider to breach polluted oxygen.^^]

Matter conversion shouldn´t happen anymore and I don´t think you have an other use for CO2 that early.

=> There is no need to produce additional CO2 [besides a "bad" base layout]

Oxyferns don't create additional oxygen, they just recycle, which means that as you expand your base your air pressure will fall, the CO₂ from the wood burner will compensate for this.

rust oxidizer and algae oxidizer.  you need to dig out and get them plus salt vines and sand.  Also coal.  on max difficulty, I pretty much just get coal, then algae, then salt, then sort out food only to see coal is gone again.  but rust oxidizer is better than oxyferns.  Wild are useless and tame cost too much water for a limited water map.

Ignore all these talks of staying small and playing safe.
Arboria is all about reckless abandon and rapid expansion.

Grab the first duplicant at cycle 3.
Giv it hard digging.
Go grab either algae in a caustic biome or rust and salt from the rust biome..
Have deoxidizer of choice at cycle 5.
Oxyferns are a horrible use of water, in my opinion, but wild oxyferns are handy enough, drop some seeds in the CO2 pits an let pips do work.

There is nothing punishing rapid expansion on Arboria, so go wide fast. You can freely dig into the rust bioes for some free cooling for your power gens and batteries.

I usually stop taking dupes somewhere between 8 and 12 until i get to a cold biome i can melt for water and get an electrolyzer setup going.

In this order of priority:

• 8 oxyferns in hydroponic tiles at the bottom of the base.
  • As many wild-planted trees as you can get (even on cycle 3, if you see a choice between the three best dupes ever or an acorn, get that acorn); if ever you notice a bunch of acorns a pip isn't planting, then you should look for an area with natural tiles available as flooring in a repeating pattern with tile|tree|tile, put in said tiles, put the pip in with the acorns, and lock the door.
  • 6 dupes.
  • Pump in a polluted water storage pool below your power generation area, going to a water sieve to feed your oxyferns and then other water sinks (use bridges to establish priority).
  • Petroleum generator over the storage pool.
  • 4 ethanol distillers piped into it.
  • Natural gas generator also over the storage.
  • Air pump next to a geyser for it
  • Bathroom loop with its own water sieve, excess joins the polluted water from the storage pool.
  • Carbon skimmers with their own water sieve so carbon dioxide doesn't get to crazy pressures.
  • Coal generator to help power everything while the natural gas geyser's dormant.
  • Sage hatch ranch to keep coal generator going.
  • Electrolysis to support more dupes and further stabilize on power.

The idea is that your main power generation produces water. Dirt will never really be an issue cause pips turn some of the tree growth into it and you'll have loads of polluted dirt around. You can ranch pokeshells to turn some of that into sand for early filtration medium to keep things going while you head to space, and get a fair bit of lime as well. Dreckos are also recommended because they effectively turn dirt into plastic and reed fiber (on Verdante, you'll have oodles of reed fiber from pips planting thimble reeds, but on Arboria, not so much; meanwhile plastic is necessary for your cooling steam turbine, cause a petroleum generator runs hot).

Domesticate your oxyferns.  You can get plenty of water for them between sieving or desalinating random pools of water, and melting ice if on a map with ice biomes.  Add on diffusers or rust deoxiders afterwards, depending on whether you get easy algae or easy rust.  After that things are more or less standard.

The forest map has a few ways to mix things up and force you to do different strategies.  Oxyferns are one of those and they work just fine as a primary oxygen source when you have ~6 dupes.

3 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

True but with expanding your base the pressure will eventually go low. CO2 might also get caught in pits and water pools outside the reach of oxyferns. It`s good to have surplus CO2 to guarantee continous oxygen production. Just let the generator run for a cycle or 2 and disable it. It will net enough CO2 for a while.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

Wild are useless and tame cost too much water for a limited water map.

The tame ones are more water efficient than electrolyzer. The little amount of water you start with can support the tamed plants plus a little bit of research to get your base stable for 50-100 cycles. In that time, you can easily find another water source.

Klei clearly intended for oxyfern to be the starting method of making oxygen in the forest. With that said, sometimes it isn't that hard to get rust deoxydation going, drill to some algae, or make slime off-gas farms. It depends on the circumstance.

Honestly for me the best way has been to limit how many new dupes I take, then rush at least one to digging and go retrieve some algae.

I don't like setting up cultivated oxyferns until I've got enough cool water to last a while. And forest starts generally only give you 20t or so to begin with. Very easy to blow through quickly when you start making oxygen with it.

Rust deoxidizers are easy to get going and can be sustained for a thousand cycles or more (on a planet with the right biomes). Provides enough time to get your industry ramped up & electrolyzed going.

also: Don't forget morbs. Just make 3 outhouses and don't upgrade to lavatories for a while. Always have one set to low priority so that it'll back up & not get cleaned long enough for a morb to spawn. Then make a contraption to harvest O2 from them:

image.png.e627d783e0f7065fc2d7129af5931c82.png

(conveyors keep deodorizers full & remove clay from the room; the pump is on a bistable, on 400g / off 200g)

4-5 morbs per dupe if you arrange them this way with no space to wander. This doesn't need to be a mainstay, but there's every reason to at least supplement with it.

Agree with those that feel rapid expansion / exploration is key.

Here's some notes for an easier Arboria start.

There's a ton of starting oxylite. Dig a nice pit to manage co2 and clear out space.

Caustic biomes contain good amounts of coal and algae for power and air.

You can go Oxygen diffuser -> Rust deoxidizer, or you can skip that and go straight to -> SPOM / Electrolyzer setup. You only need 1 diffuser for 3 dupes, 2 diffusers eventually for anything past that.

Wood burning is god awful, save the wood for ethanol and petrol gen. There's way more than enough coal to run a coal gen + smart battery for most of your basic needs until you find a pool of ethanol and can supplement with a petrol gen.

The ethanol distiller also puts out a ton of polluted dirt, so you can use this in combination with Deodirizers to scrub out extra oxygen. The petrol gen outputs polluted water and co2 as well, which can be scrubbed for more polluted water, and allowed to offgas for more p-oxygen.

Keep in mind, Default arboria doesn't contain clay. Deodorizers will be your main source of clay for ceramic before rockets. win / win.

Or you can feed the polluted dirt to pokeshell's and get extra sand / lime, either way...it's definitely a teeny more layered as far as systems go on this map.

It depends how you want to handle it.  As you can see, many people have solved this different ways.  

My method was to take advantage of the pips and have them plant plenty of arbor trees and use the lumber in the wood burner for CO2.

I domesticated my oxyferns and basically used the first pool of water I found to feed them.  The wood burner produces tons of carbon dioxide which is what we need.  Unlike Algae Terrariums, Oxyferns only work with a source of carbon dioxide whereas an Algae Terrarium can produce oxygen without it.  3 Oxyferns produce just barely less than what 1 dupe needs, so it's best to plan for 4 per dupe to be safe.  4 Oxyferns produce extra oxygen and clean up extra carbon dioxide than the dupes produce, so you begin to pressurize your base as you dig out.

I agree with the "stay small" idea until you find another source of water.  I quickly built up a bathroom loop to help slow my water problems and then searched for nearby burried geysers.  I got lucky with a polluted water geyser right above my base at 30C, so it was good enough to use for my plants without completely burning my base alive.

As @avc15 suggested, I too kept an unused outhouse up and flooded the room with deodorizers on my original try.  Now this step is not necessary but it was useful the first time I was trying the forest biome since I wasn't used to it.

I currently am playing on an Oasisse seed that was Geo-active and had Volcanos.  It's a forest biome start as well but I couldn't really expand rapidly due to the heat coming from flanking volcanos.  Staying small really helped with this but the heat started to become overbearing and I needed to expand.  Eventually I got  a Turbine-Aquatuner setup going and now things are smooth sailing but it was not looking good for a while.  Around cycle 150 I finally got an electrolyzer up and around 200 I got a fully cooled oxygen setup going.  Normally that's something I setup by cycle 50, so this was quite a change of pace for me but it was also my first attempt at this planet.  I assume Arboria is less insane depending on the seed you pick, but the same setup should work nicely until you can upgrade to better things.

7 hours ago, Soulwind said:

OK, so how is everyone handling O2 production on the forest biome starts?  I've done 2 colonies on Arboria now and in both cases

I've just had to abandon the base after a dozen or so cycles.  No algae, way to little water to electrolyze (or really even to support 

domesticated oxyferns), wild oxyferns are not nearly enough (and are usually in such bad positions that they stifle constantly), and

I haven't had a rust/salt biome close enough to use for the rust deoxidizer.  ???

make a world with Slime Molds. get Distillation Tech, distill the slime into algae, and make oxygen diffusers/algae terraniums. use planter boxes to place oxyferns in locations where Co2 will pool (ex. at the bottom of ladders/your base) put the diffusers where dupes spend a lot of time. I didn't have a problem with O2 Production, but I had 3 dupes for a very long time.

I haven't played Arboria since the release, but there was so much oxylite on my map that I could go a much longer time before needing a long-term (non algae) oxygen source, and by that time I'd cut into the rust biome and had deoxidizers running. Then it was just a matter of managing a chlorine pit until I found a water geyser and transitioned to electrolyzers.

Domestic oxiferns are too thirsty to be useful, and I didn't get pips domesticated until much later so relocated wild oxiferns weren't an option at first. I had maybe a half dozen of them before going into the rust biome, but that was about it.

1 hour ago, SamuraiJones said:

I haven't played Arboria since the release, but there was so much oxylite on my map that I could go a much longer time before needing a long-term (non algae) oxygen source, and by that time I'd cut into the rust biome and had deoxidizers running. Then it was just a matter of managing a chlorine pit until I found a water geyser and transitioned to electrolyzers.

Domestic oxiferns are too thirsty to be useful, and I didn't get pips domesticated until much later so relocated wild oxiferns weren't an option at first. I had maybe a half dozen of them before going into the rust biome, but that was about it.

Pips don't need to be domesticated to plant for you.  You just need to understand their rules and a wild one will work wonderfully.  Every plant in the yellow areas was planted via wild pips as well as the Mirth leaf plants in the ladder areas.  Yeah, I had to dig up some of my domestic plants to get them to plant where I wanted, but I got them to do it.

pips.thumb.png.2a9f26946e0b2b6ce67e90e09edd60bc.png

If you want them to plant for you, it's best to start top down, from right to left.  Pips will only plant in a tile if there are less than 3 plants in a 5 tile area right, up, and down around it and 6 tiles to the left.  Just put tiles or ladders over areas to limit where they can plant and you can get them to plant where you want.

Archived