Convenient way to feed pokeshells

Starting in the Forest Biome, i am a bit short on sand. Luckily a Pokeshell was given to me by my printer. So i was hoping to get some sand by feeding it.

However i am unsure what is the best way to feed polluted dirt to it. The critter feeder does not support it.

Do you guys have any suggestions to drop polluted dirt for my poke shell without the need of lategame techniques such as conveyors?

Ideally without having to toggle on/off compactors.

1 minute ago, blash365 said:

Starting in the Forest Biome, i am a bit short on sand. Luckily a Pokeshell was given to me by my printer. So i was hoping to get some sand by feeding it.

However i am unsure what is the best way to feed polluted dirt to it. The critter feeder does not support it.

Do you guys have any suggestions to drop polluted dirt for my poke shell without the need of lategame techniques such as conveyors?

Ideally without having to toggle on/off compactors.

It seems clear to me that these critters are designed to synergize with pacus.

1 minute ago, bleeter6 said:

It seems clear to me that these critters are designed to synergize with pacus.

Now where do i find pacus in my forest biome.;)

Also i am not sure if they can really synergize. They eat 150 kg of dirt per day. I dont have the numbers ready. But i think pacus excrete less than that.

Edit: It is 50% mass from up to 140kg/cycle algae. So 2 Pacus and 280 kg/cycle algae should be able to support one pokeshell.

Now where do i get algae in my forest biome.;)

1 minute ago, badgamer123 said:

where the hell you gonna have that much algae is the question

slime --> algae (algae distiller) --> polluted dirt (pacus)--> sand (pokeshell) --> polluted dirt (water sieve) --> polluted oxygen (offgas the poluted dirt) --> slime (pufts)

not very effective ...

3 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

slime --> algae (algae distiller) --> polluted dirt (pacus)--> sand (pokeshell) --> polluted dirt (water sieve) --> polluted oxygen (offgas the poluted dirt) --> slime (pufts)

not very effective ...

Especially when you take the ratios into account:

1 slime --> 1/3 algae -> 1/6 pDirt -> 1/12 sand -> 1/60 pDirt -> 1/60 pO2 -> 1/120 slime

This is not considering the polluted water generated by the algae destiller. Which could be converted into water for some extra polluted dirt.

11 minutes ago, badgamer123 said:

where the hell you gonna have that much algae is the question

The algae distiller would be perfect for this production chain if we had a reasonable, renewable source of slime.  Alas, we do not.

1 minute ago, Promethien said:

One of the new machines has polluted dirt as a byproduct.

I think you mean the ethanol destiller.

Not sure what you can destill in it though. It says "organics". So that would be algae and slime, right?

2 hours ago, blash365 said:

The critter feeder does not support it.

Sage hatch also eats polluted dirt, so you can set up the feeder to contain pdirt just fine. Shells will eat it just fine.

To mass-produce lots of pdirt, try lettuce. It has a really high mass-to-kcal ratio and no domestication requirements, so you can set up massive riceberg lettuce farms and just let the overproduction rot.

One wild tree produces an average of 100 kg wood/cycle. If you use it for ethanol production, it will give (per cycle)

• 24.75 kg polluted dirt
  • 8.25 kg CO2
  • 67 kg ethanol

Burn the ethanol and you get an average surplus of 58 1/3 W.

Use the CO2 to feed 88 wild oxyferns and you get 411 kg oxygen/cycle. You "only" need 22 domesticated oxygerns to do the same.

Multiply each number by 4 to get the numbers for domesticated trees.

Maybe the oxygen production will be a bit of a stretch to fully use, but the dirt production is certainly viable. It's a dupe heavy task though as dupes are needed to harvest the branches. Also it assumes no critters will eat from the tree in question.

2 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Can you breed oxyferns?

You can print seeds (I think). Other than that, I don't know. Maybe we can figure out a way to make them drop seeds. Maybe there are seeds in space. Klei or mods might add a way to farm seeds.

10 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I wish it had a lifecycle and dropped seeds though.

Yeah add a lifecycle. If harvested, remove the chance of a seed, but do provide a seed as the harvested item. The plant is then reduced to newly planted and needs to grow up again to do the job. This means you have the choice between growing for seeds for keeping large plants for oxygen.

Naturally you need to be able to disable auto harvest for domesticated plants for this to work.

5 minutes ago, Gracefulmuse said:

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure I have seen the new pips generate oxyfern seeds. They seem to just randomly generate seeds sometimes and drop them. 

They pick up seeds, carry them around and then plant them at random. They do not generate seeds, they only move them.

5 hours ago, natanstarke said:

If pokeshell eats dirt we could use the new pip for it? Or it do not produce enough lf it someone know the numbers? Also ill try ethanol when possible "i will go girlfriends house so no oni there sadly."

cant use pip, because pokeshells eat polluted dirt, not dirt.

2 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

They pick up seeds, carry them around and then plant them at random. They do not generate seeds, they only move them.

To clarify: Pips pick up seeds from the ground, and OUT OF STORAGE CONTAINERS, and they move them to suitable locations where they plant them as wild plants. So using them along with finding a proper location ( like a large bed of dirt tiles ) you can set up wild farms of what-have-you. For instance replant your oxyferns, or the new trees, the possibilities are endless.

Getting back to the topic:

Ethanol distillers use lumber and produce ethanol as well as CO2 and Polluted dirt. You can feed that to your Pokeshells. with 4 ethanol distillers you can fuel a petrol generator, creating polluted water and more CO2. Scrub the CO2 with a 3 sieve/CO2 Scrubber loops and you will be making tons more polluted dirt. Alternatively you can feed the CO2 to a slickster farm to make petroleum.

The pH2O produced with the petrol reactor can be sent off to your arboretum to grow more wood for the distillers.

An easier way to get lots of sand is using the rock crusher. Just grind some of your excess rock into sand if that is what you really need.

Archived