Reed fiber alternatives

per request of @Ipsquiggle....

We should have alternatives to making fiber for exosuits.

I suggest wood being able to be used to make fiber in addition to thimble reeds.

I am all for different options and pathways for different maps, but you still need an option for fibers.

12 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Maybe add carbon fibre. Would add a use for the refined carbon and serve as an industrial alternative to reed fibers.

Good one too.  I think there are several existing ingredients without needing to add anything too new to enable this.

As soon as I get hydroponics.
Install them at the end of the waste water line. Add 3-4 reed fiber.
After awhile I have so much reed fiber it won't fit in my container anymore and just sits on the ground.
With another setup from the water coming from petro natural gas gens.
The water comes out to aqua tuners and any left over goes to a holding tank.
When that's full. Overflow into about 50+ reed fiber plants. Not all fill but you don't want it backing up.

150-200 or cycles and 12-15 dupes. I'm looking around 60T+

Drecko's are much harder to upscale, because you'd need to build multiple ranches etc. for reed fibers all you need is hydroponic plots and pwater.

A drecko farm involves a whole lot more, feeding, grooming and either disposal after shearing, or setting up your ranches so they regrow their fur.

35 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

for reed fibers all you need is hydroponic plots and pwater.

Reed fibers are black holes of water demand. They are not a trivial plant for large scale cultivation and in fact are more useful as a way to dispose of troublesome water.

Wild reeds and wild dreckos will provide more than enough production to get exosuits rolling. The dreckos start with a full coat, and reed fiber plants grow pretty fast even when wild. Both sources combined are more than enough for the simple things.

The point of this thread is that on some maps you don't have access to thimble reeds and can only use dreckos. This makes a lot of recipes that rely on it very very difficult to use. Yes, with a drecko farm you'll have enough to make some suits. But what about your paintings, your clothes, carpets, and in the end game your insulation. Those all require tons and tons of reed fibers. Without access to thimble reed plants, that is going to be very tedious. And especially once you hit endgame, polluted water is not a problem at all. I usually have waay more than enough of it, or water in general which can easily be made into polluted water with things like CO2 scrubbers and whatnot.

They could always borrow from another Klei staple and make a barber shop. 
Fiber for shaving heads; insulation if it is Nails. 

But in seriousness I like the carbon fiber idea. 
An idea I don't like as much but would fit with the maps that don't have reeds would be an evolution of domesticated pips that chews on lumber until it becomes fiber. 

So this is probably me just not having enough experience, but usually I tended to only use exosuits for the slime biome, what are the use cases for it if there is no slime? I'm guessing when you want to get oil, or when you want to go to space? Seems like you'd have time to farm drecko's before then unless you were rushing.

Also on the theme of things found commonly on maps that don't have reeds:
The only asteroids without reed are Arboria and Badlands. Both have rust, jungle, ice, and salt, so the solution needs to come from one of these. 

So my next suggestion would be harvestable oxyferns. They don't need to have seeds for the change; just the option of harvesting every 5-20 cycles for a reed drop chance, with no CO2 conversion until they grow back. 

3 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

1 wild reed takes 8 cycles for 1kg, 1 drecko takes 8 cycles for 2kg. Clearly not whole lot.

Why does a dreckop take water.
Mealwood. Just need dirt.
Dirt comes from sieve pwater to good water.
Pwater water from generators.
Over flow goes to pincha nuts. Pincha nuts are a boost in calories with the meat from dreckos. 

3 hours ago, LTLking said:

Why does a dreckop take water.
Mealwood. Just need dirt.
Dirt comes from sieve pwater to good water.
Pwater water from generators.
Over flow goes to pincha nuts. Pincha nuts are a boost in calories with the meat from dreckos. 

You don't even need dirt. Balm Lillies in a hydrogen/chlorine room. Mealwood, for me, is used purely for converting them to glossy. 

Hell, my typical drecko farm(s) sends all extra dreckos to a separate hydrogen room to shorn repeatedly until they starve. 

20 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

You don't even need dirt. Balm Lillies in a hydrogen/chlorine room. Mealwood, for me, is used purely for converting them to glossy. 

Hell, my typical drecko farm(s) sends all extra dreckos to a separate hydrogen room to shorn repeatedly until they starve. 

I forgot about the mealwood changing them.
I saw a save where it had a very large drecko farm that was in full Hydrogen no grooming station.
Just shear stations. Maybe 40x40 with individual smaller rooms to keep them close to the shear stations.
If you don't groom them. You don't have to feed them and there is always plenty around to keep a dupe busy.

nylon, polyester, polyethylene, polypropylene, lycra, yellow spandex... to go visit a hot biome such as oil you need plastic, which comes from a hot biome such as oil... people would love that.

To be honest I think you can make the polyethylene version directly out of ethanol.

2 hours ago, LTLking said:

I forgot about the mealwood changing them.
I saw a save where it had a very large drecko farm that was in full Hydrogen no grooming station.
Just shear stations. Maybe 40x40 with individual smaller rooms to keep them close to the shear stations.
If you don't groom them. You don't have to feed them and there is always plenty around to keep a dupe busy.

If you're just throwing extra dreckos you'd normally just drown or eat the eggs, the room doesn't have to be very large. I usually make it just large enough to have 6 or so shearing stations and some room for sweepers. For 20x4 or maybe a couple wider. They hatch, wander around, get sheered a couple times, then starve to be meat. 

It would not be a large alternative, but if we had a recipe on the loom to convert clothing back into fiber, we could get fiber from clothing found in artifact lockers.

Archived