What is aporkalypse lore-wise? I only see a lore problems in it

Desblat

Nightmare things in DS are because of usage of nightmarefuel - power.

Like Nightmare peaks in ruins happens because ancient civilization overused nightmarefuel etc.

But that civilization-sized nightmare is quite local, it doesn't affect caves or upperworld.

While in hamlet we have got such a powerful nightmare thing that affects all the damn hilghland.

And at the same moment modern pigs civilization is alright!

There are very little things left from ancient pigs:

1/ Since all their ruins are accessable from surface it means they are not as ancient as thulicite civilization. Also ancient pigs do not seem to be advanced civilization.

2/ Pigs didn't use nightmarefuel much and don't have thulicite. Since there are very little powerfull artifacts in thier ruins. Did they even use it?

1/+2/ = Why there is such a powerfull nightmare burst?

DAT IS APOKALYPSE. DID U SEE DEM CALENDER. THAT'S MAYA, ATZ-TECH THING. 2012 YEAR. YA REMEBER?

I get that pun, but.

APOKALYPSE that repeats every X days?

APOKALYPSE that pigs constantly survive w/o problems?

APOKALYPSE contolled by some stones on floor? I mean there are no big powerful magic runes or thulecite cities around.

All of this just seem very very very game-ey to me.

I always figured that the Aporkalypse calendar had been sort of stuck, not moving to trigger the Aporkalypse, until the player character arrived. Like, it had been stuck for a really long time, maybe since the creation of that world itself. It was the stuff of legends, since the pigs have obviously heard of it and recognize its imminent arrival, and either coincidentally or not-so-coincidentally it actually came to pass when people from the world that Wilson and the others are from showed up in the Don't Starve world. And then, after Wilson or whoever found the calendar and reset it, the cycle of the Aporkalypse continued as "intended," every 60 or however many days.

But that was just my intuition. Might not hold up under closer scrutiny. ^o^;>

I only know that Hulk build to fight ancient herald during aporklypse because hulk is always active their time and his attack can damage shadow creature.

Edit: he doesn’t have special animation for that, he can only damage them by mistake, he can’t hurt ancient herald according to the wiki.

11 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Being in the mountains and highlands probably means Hamlet is effected differently by the moon compared to the rest of the Constant. Just a guess.

7 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

I always figured that the Aporkalypse calendar had been sort of stuck, not moving to trigger the Aporkalypse, until the player character arrived. Like, it had been stuck for a really long time, maybe since the creation of that world itself. It was the stuff of legends, since the pigs have obviously heard of it and recognize its imminent arrival.

So basically calender grabs moon closier LOL

23 hours ago, Namelessgamer said:

and has animation to attack shadow creature

Where'd you read this?
It's not true.

They don't have unique animations for attacking shadow creatures, I've even checked their animations in the past.
I know the wiki has stated this, but it's incorrect and I thought they removed it.

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

Where'd you read this?
It's not true.

They don't have unique animations for attacking shadow creatures, I've even checked their animations in the past.
I know the wiki has stated this, but it's incorrect and I thought they removed it.

Well I heard some people in the early access forum say this so i though it’s true.

Sorry my bad, fixing my post.

the aporcalypse is lorewise....: the name says it: aporcalypse! same like in the bible. jesus (the sun) era of being the sun in the era of the fishes ends (around year 2150)

jesus(the sun) represents the era from year 0 till year 2150 in which the sun always rise in the sign of fishes at the spring day at night equals(eastern)

at the year 2151 the sun will rise at the spring day and night equals in the sign waterman. then we will be in the era of the waterman. jesus era ends in year 2150 and then the aporcalypse will be and destroy evrything about the old era. and the new era will start with a new sun.

so the aporcalypse is the event when an era of a sun god ends and a new era starts. because evrything need to be destroyed of the old era to pay homage to the new era.

thats why you can see on the ds aporcalypse calendar a sun symbole and the moon and....

its because the game (and the bible) is about astrology.

you know when people were sarcrifises food to a god. its because the god is the sun. the sun gives light and makes evrything grow. the people understood that without the sun they cant survive. so they gave food to the god so he never goes away. because if he goes away all people will die in the darkness. thats what we did in gorge. we gave food to the sun god.

my english is to bad to explain more. 

11 hours ago, BeliarBAD said:

the aporcalypse is lorewise....: 

good explonation. I get the reference, but I mean - DS has nothing to do with bible and the Last Judgment or The Day of the Lord.

DS aporkalypse is somehow connected to nightmarefuel etc. It just seems out of place for me. It doesn't have a set up for it, no insanely big ancients, no thulicite cities. It's just there. And some sort of magical rocks can easily stop it.

I hope we will get lore for it later. It would be interesting to know, how did highlands end up like that.

7 hours ago, Desblat said:

good explonation. I get the reference, but I mean - DS has nothing to do with bible and the Last Judgment or The Day of the Lord.

Apocalypse IS a religious subject though.

DS aporkalypse is somehow connected to nightmarefuel etc. It just seems out of place for me. It doesn't have a set up for it, no insanely big ancients, no thulicite cities. It's just there. And some sort of magical rocks can easily stop it.

Agreed.

I hope we will get lore for it later. It would be interesting to know, how did highlands end up like that.

Oh, we won't.

There was a period of nearly half a year where Klei could have added any sort of lore to Hamlet, but we've received absolutely nothing even after release.

Is sad. So much potential.

2 hours ago, Roosev said:

Apocalypse IS a religious subject though.

I bet they named it aporkalypse because it's a pun. It just sounds more funny that Nightmare Cycle.

Entire DLC is named after pun, because ham is pig meat and hamlet is villiage. Get it? Hamlet is villiage there pork lives!

Also SW DLC got an update more than a year after release, that one Home Sea Home update.

I don't think it causes any problems at all lore-wise.

I will try to make a detailed thread or comment later which also explains mob changes during the aporkalypse.

I think when it comes to aporkalypse there are a couple of possibilities, one of them explains the behavior of Mants.

One possibility:

Ancient Herald is affected by Nightmare Fuel/controlled by Them.

Ancient Herald tried to cause the aporkalypse, failed. Pigs and possible others made a calendar which counts down until Aporkalypse starts. (The way to control the aporkalypse starting/ending could perhaps not be cannon and instead it actually starts and ends differently than what we can do)

Aporkalypse might actually start when Ancient Herald comes back and the earliest day being the day which the calendar shows.

If it in the lore is about Ancient Herald then it might end by killing him, while game-play wise it is just to change the calendar. It might also be the case lore-wise that Aporkalypse doesn't end until several things happen.

The calendar being that short might just be because of how the texture is on it or other reasons. The calendar might actually have several thousand years between first day of calendar and the last day.

We have to remember that while something might be one way in the game, in the lore it might be quite different. I think the devs said something like that here on the forum or on a stream. Perhaps it was something I read on the wiki.

On 20. 6. 2019 at 12:16 PM, BeliarBAD said:

the aporcalypse is lorewise....: the name says it: aporcalypse! same like in the bible. jesus (the sun) era of being the sun in the era of the fishes ends (around year 2150)

jesus(the sun) represents the era from year 0 till year 2150 in which the sun always rise in the sign of fishes at the spring day at night equals(eastern)

at the year 2151 the sun will rise at the spring day and night equals in the sign waterman. then we will be in the era of the waterman. jesus era ends in year 2150 and then the aporcalypse will be and destroy evrything about the old era. and the new era will start with a new sun.

so the aporcalypse is the event when an era of a sun god ends and a new era starts. because evrything need to be destroyed of the old era to pay homage to the new era.

Sorry but what?

I ain't believing in this confusing mess

On 21.06.2019 at 5:17 PM, minespatch said:

While in the Gorge, we have another religion with some cultists trying to appease a mouth god.

Religion is more like believing in some sort of god(s). Gorge residents don't have to believe in evil gnaw, it is very real and they appease it because they have to.

4 hours ago, Maslak said:

Religion is more like believing in some sort of god(s). Gorge residents don't have to believe in evil gnaw, it is very real and they appease it because they have to.

"Hey man? Have you seen the Gnaw? It's been turning people into fish!"

"The Gnaw? Nah, that doesn't exist, I don't buy into the religion nonsense."

"Okay but... you're turning into a fish right now."

"Allergies."

Couldn't help it.

Here's what's all obvious by what we have in the game:

Thulecite has its origins in the RoG continent, but it seems between the time of Them and the time we are playing at, an ancient pig civilization went down to the continent, explored the ruins and brought back with them Thulecite and Thulecite equipment, which is why we find these things inside Hamlet ruins. 

Here's what can be easily inferred:

It seems they also brought nightmare fuel. And it seems they brought something even worse of powerful fuel magic that now rests at the bottom of the End's Well.

Archived