Negativity in Klei official server

I rarely write anything, so this time, its gonna be a long long post. But recently, maybe due to bad luck, I have always had negative in-game experience.

I am not talking about certain individuals, but the overall feeling of the game.

I became very confused about the "revive" options, I understand that it is a choice to stay or leave when someone dies in a game, as through certain game mode, it does drain the sanity of other players, affecting their in-game experience. But whether or not the "dead" player chooses to leave the server or seek ways to revive, I believe it is their personal choice (unless they have malicious intent/purposely there to troll the server)However, from what I have been experiencing recently, it seemed like there is an ongoing "underground" rule, where someone dies, they need to quit the game almost immediately.

Rarely do I die in early game, as I have been playing Don't Starve back in the days when it was not multiplayer, but certainly there are times where I cannot even survive the first day (depending on resource availability near portal, season, time of day, etc.). Of course on a public server, I cannot expect everyone to be friendly and offers a helping hand, and I believe the owners of dedicated servers have the rights basically to do anything with their own server.

However, I do think Klei official servers are meant for everyone to play, to enjoy their time. But, I do think this is not the case with "Clayfish was here! - Klei Official". The server has been ongoing for 2000+ days, and I am pretty sure a lot a lot of hard work and accomplishments were done to keep the server running. However, I do think that one problem that arise from the long-running server is "server hoarding". By that I mean, with all the resources gone at the portal, it makes surviving very difficult for new players, and thus this server is almost becoming a dedicated server, exclusive to players that have joined early, especially if the early players form "cliques" and are unwilling to help new players, or to even communicate with polite words.

I do think if this is a personal server, then it would be perfectly fine if the owner only wish certain friends to join, but I am disappointed in the fact that this is a Klei official server! I thought it was meant for all dst members.

3 hours ago, kz2 said:

I rarely write anything, so this time, its gonna be a long long post. But recently, maybe due to bad luck, I have always had negative in-game experience.

I am not talking about certain individuals, but the overall feeling of the game.

I became very confused about the "revive" options, I understand that it is a choice to stay or leave when someone dies in a game, as through certain game mode, it does drain the sanity of other players, affecting their in-game experience. But whether or not the "dead" player chooses to leave the server or seek ways to revive, I believe it is their personal choice (unless they have malicious intent/purposely there to troll the server)However, from what I have been experiencing recently, it seemed like there is an ongoing "underground" rule, where someone dies, they need to quit the game almost immediately.

Rarely do I die in early game, as I have been playing Don't Starve back in the days when it was not multiplayer, but certainly there are times where I cannot even survive the first day (depending on resource availability near portal, season, time of day, etc.). Of course on a public server, I cannot expect everyone to be friendly and offers a helping hand, and I believe the owners of dedicated servers have the rights basically to do anything with their own server.

However, I do think Klei official servers are meant for everyone to play, to enjoy their time. But, I do think this is not the case with "Clayfish was here! - Klei Official". The server has been ongoing for 2000+ days, and I am pretty sure a lot a lot of hard work and accomplishments were done to keep the server running. However, I do think that one problem that arise from the long-running server is "server hoarding". By that I mean, with all the resources gone at the portal, it makes surviving very difficult for new players, and thus this server is almost becoming a dedicated server, exclusive to players that have joined early, especially if the early players form "cliques" and are unwilling to help new players, or to even communicate with polite words.

I do think if this is a personal server, then it would be perfectly fine if the owner only wish certain friends to join, but I am disappointed in the fact that this is a Klei official server! I thought it was meant for all dst members.

if i ever play on a public or klei run server i only play on day 1 autumn worlds and if im lucky enough to find that i can only hope that the self declared wes main leaves after they forget what a torch is...its not anti new player imo its more of a common courtesy to not ruin everyone's sanity if you've made a friend that is able and willing to revive you congrats but dont hover around for days expecting a revive from randoms

I only enter pub server on autumn (even late autumn) because I have less chance to be a ghost draining everyone sanity,

but I get your point, some klei servers, after winter has ended, just block the portal with burnt stuff, so new players cannot go around... but I must confess when I see this kind of server, I try to find a way to revive and just burn the base when nobody is looking (#RevengeFeelings) 

I mean, if you want to play in a private server with no new-players coming after first year, DONT go to a klei official server, just host one with password

Klei servers are for everyone to play, at any season, maybe make new friends to play along.

Bare in mind, OP, that on most Klei official (Vanilla Survival) servers majority of players are newbies with a topping of some experienced Ruins Rushers (or ones doing specific boss rushes). Both categories pretty much pillage all around portal because newbies tend to hoard out of habit and experienced rushers need to hoard for their intended rushes. Klei official servers, being un-moderated, are lawless no-man's-land where you should expect griefing and nasty people on a regular basis. Though, again, most of times they are actually... pretty ok places. Yet yes, bulk of players there act independently of one another and tend not to help because newbies barely manage to stay alive and have no clue about reviving or fighting (spiders for glands), and experienced rushers are busy doing their mojo, not babysitting. And, except some Rushers that gather Nightmare Fuel, most players there don't like Ghosts making them insane, more so as some dead players tend to AFK - thus staying on server in ghost form usually ends in a kick. These are purely facts about Klei official servers and nothing really can be done. If you don't like these "parameters" try going for community Endless servers - those tend to be Co-Op friendly environments. Cheers!

43 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Bare in mind, OP, that on most Klei official (Vanilla Survival) servers majority of players are newbies with a topping of some experienced Ruins Rushers (or ones doing specific boss rushes). Both categories pretty much pillage all around portal because newbies tend to hoard out of habit and experienced rushers need to hoard for their intended rushes. Klei official servers, being un-moderated, are lawless no-man's-land where you should expect griefing and nasty people on a regular basis. Though, again, most of times they are actually... pretty ok places. Yet yes, bulk of players there act independently of one another and tend not to help because newbies barely manage to stay alive and have no clue about reviving or fighting (spiders for glands), and experienced rushers are busy doing their mojo, not babysitting. And, except some Rushers that gather Nightmare Fuel, most players there don't like Ghosts making them insane, more so as some dead players tend to AFK - thus staying on server in ghost form usually ends in a kick. These are purely facts about Klei official servers and nothing really can be done. If you don't like these "parameters" try going for community Endless servers - those tend to be Co-Op friendly environments. Cheers!

Players can get kicked in klei servers? How does that work.

Generally, once a server reaches that many days, base is marked, and chests are so brimming with loot that no one cares that a new player is coming by and taking a bunch of stuff.

However, if most players are being rude, then leave and don't look back; although if they are just being quiet, they might want you to find base yourself, there is a decent chunk of the player base that finds a base, eats the food, and won't even leave to gather wood.

This post is bait and its purpose isn't clear because OP tried to word it as if it was something it isn't. Says he wouldn't be specific but then singles out a day 2000 Klei server with a specific group playing it ("cliques" in OP's words). Says the title is about general negativity but then goes on to only talk about being a ghost with sanity drain and server hoarding - he answers his own questions about the ghost thing with ""underground" rule", OP's not a beginner so he knows beginners don't like sanity drain so kick people. The remaining point of this post is about server hoarding, with regards to a specific group.

Even thought this is bait, I'll still give fair reply to a post about server hoarding.

The Klei official servers are almost never all full in any region so this fundamentally isn't a problem. Even if they were all full, if people want to play long enough to be classified as "hoarding" a server, is that a problem? Isn't that just playing the game? Should people be restricted because they play a server too much? Because they developed the world so much that people find it difficult to get starting resources? Because others join, die, and then aren't offered to be revived? I don't think so, maybe you do. The worlds are survival so, unless someone's enjoying a world enough to carry it, it will naturally die.

If someone's enjoying a world enough to keep it up I don't see a problem. This happens for a lot of day 20 - 70 Klei worlds where one person carries it through a significant part of gameplay that isn't Autumn (Fall?). That person isn't doing wrong having the server to themselves, and they aren't doing wrong by restricting the potential players that might be playing if they began first autumn again. This is kind of a bad comparison to server hoarding, but my point remains; someone is enjoying it enough to play. They shouldn't be criticised for playing.

There's also always the option of simply playing on another server if you care so much. I rarely see more than a couple Klei servers over day 100 at a time, and Klei officials aren't the only servers.

7 hours ago, kz2 said:

I absolutely agree, klei server is for the people of many, not for hoarding!

Also hi kz ;)

15 hours ago, AceTheMartyr said:

if i ever play on a public or klei run server i only play on day 1 autumn worlds and if im lucky enough to find that i can only hope that the self declared wes main leaves after they forget what a torch is...its not anti new player imo its more of a common courtesy to not ruin everyone's sanity if you've made a friend that is able and willing to revive you congrats but dont hover around for days expecting a revive from randoms

I absolutely agree that if people are there to lower sanity, then they should either leave or seek revive themselves. But not when the early players block all touch stones and spawn tentacles all around to purposely stop people from reviving on their own. This is hoarding. Also, being a Klei server, I admit I had a little more expectations, to be more open and fair to all kinds of players.

15 hours ago, trinket_4 said:

I only enter pub server on autumn (even late autumn) because I have less chance to be a ghost draining everyone sanity,

but I get your point, some klei servers, after winter has ended, just block the portal with burnt stuff, so new players cannot go around... but I must confess when I see this kind of server, I try to find a way to revive and just burn the base when nobody is looking (#RevengeFeelings) 

I mean, if you want to play in a private server with no new-players coming after first year, DONT go to a klei official server, just host one with password

Klei servers are for everyone to play, at any season, maybe make new friends to play along.

Thank you for getting my point! This is what I am saying, if it is a private server, I completely understand, as the owner has the rights to do anything. But being a Klei official, I cannot see why people "hoard" this way. 

14 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Hello Oversus,

First of all, thank you for your thorough reply.

I think I might have not made my point clear. I understand about the sanity drain, and I agree that a player should be justified among the other players if they have been AFK and draining everyone's sanity. And yes, public servers a filled with griefers and people with bad intent some times, to ruin other player's gaming experience. And lastly, yes, we are not there to babysit other players.

But do you think as a Klei official people should have the rights to use touch stones and make themselves revive? As a part of the "natural revive source" I think players should have the rights to do so. By blocking other's rights to use touch stone, and emptying resources near portal, as well as keeping the server for more than 2k days is hoarding.

Now if this was done on a private/dedicated server, I would be completely fine with, but this is a Klei official, its meant for everyone to play.

11 hours ago, CossonWool said:

This post is bait and its purpose isn't clear because OP tried to word it as if it was something it isn't. Says he wouldn't be specific but then singles out a day 2000 Klei server with a specific group playing it ("cliques" in OP's words). Says the title is about general negativity but then goes on to only talk about being a ghost with sanity drain and server hoarding - he answers his own questions about the ghost thing with ""underground" rule", OP's not a beginner so he knows beginners don't like sanity drain so kick people. The remaining point of this post is about server hoarding, with regards to a specific group.

Even thought this is bait, I'll still give fair reply to a post about server hoarding.

The Klei official servers are almost never all full in any region so this fundamentally isn't a problem. Even if they were all full, if people want to play long enough to be classified as "hoarding" a server, is that a problem? Isn't that just playing the game? Should people be restricted because they play a server too much? Because they developed the world so much that people find it difficult to get starting resources? Because others join, die, and then aren't offered to be revived? I don't think so, maybe you do. The worlds are survival so, unless someone's enjoying a world enough to carry it, it will naturally die.

If someone's enjoying a world enough to keep it up I don't see a problem. This happens for a lot of day 20 - 70 Klei worlds where one person carries it through a significant part of gameplay that isn't Autumn (Fall?). That person isn't doing wrong having the server to themselves, and they aren't doing wrong by restricting the potential players that might be playing if they began first autumn again. This is kind of a bad comparison to server hoarding, but my point remains; someone is enjoying it enough to play. They shouldn't be criticised for playing.

There's also always the option of simply playing on another server if you care so much. I rarely see more than a couple Klei servers over day 100 at a time, and Klei officials aren't the only servers.

Hello CossonWool,

Thank you for your reply.

And first to clarify, this is not a bait, I said I will not be discussing about certain individuals.

I think you are twisting my ideas around. I am not talking about people playing a server too much, by all that means, go ahead and have fun in Klei servers. What I am simply talking about, is limiting other people's survival and chance to play Klei official server. 

Yes, by day 2000+ all resources are probably all gone, and I acknowledged people's hard work and dedication in my post. One thing I did not go into details was that they purposely blocked touch stone to stop people from reviving on their on. On a public server, you have to expect griefers and other players with bad intent, but you cannot block people's chances to revive in a world that is "resourceless", especially this server does not belong to any players, but to Klei. This is hoarding.

And yes there are thousands of other servers to play, but remind you this is a Klei official. This is absolutely a negative experience when new players join a Klei official, expecting it to be friendly and more open.

And your point here is that if one sheep is diseased, we should just not care for it, since there are thousands of other sheep. 

But thank you again for your reply. I am not here to criticize any certain individual.

11 hours ago, DarithD said:

I absolutely agree, klei server is for the people of many, not for hoarding!

Also hi kz ;)

Thank you for your understanding. 

And Hi Darith!

13 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Generally, once a server reaches that many days, base is marked, and chests are so brimming with loot that no one cares that a new player is coming by and taking a bunch of stuff.

However, if most players are being rude, then leave and don't look back; although if they are just being quiet, they might want you to find base yourself, there is a decent chunk of the player base that finds a base, eats the food, and won't even leave to gather wood.

Hi Genome Squirrel,

Thank you for your reply.

I was just disappointed that this happened in a Klei official. Calling names, limiting other's chances to revive and hoarding the server.

Of course with any servers, even ones that is just over 20 days, people have been putting a lot of effort in. But that hard work compared to everyone else's experience to me is nothing. Because if you really wanted that hard work to last, they should host their own private server to ensure all safety. In a public server, especially Klei server I think everyone deserves the rights to play.

But thanks for your understanding

1 hour ago, kz2 said:

But do you think as a Klei official people should have the rights to use touch stones and make themselves revive? As a part of the "natural revive source" I think players should have the rights to do so. By blocking other's rights to use touch stone, and emptying resources near portal, as well as keeping the server for more than 2k days is hoarding.

Ah, you used "hoarding" for the server (I thought you've meant resources around spawn) as in "taking the server captive by blocking new players at spawn with fossils/burned End Tables/etc and also obstructing Touchstones and/or spawning tentacles on them to insta-kill revived players". Well in such case is the responsibility of Klei to solve this issue one way or the other (like they previously did - the Klei-servers-taken-captive-by-a-small-group-of-players problem was in past recurrently signaled on forums, sadly i seem to not be able to find those threads) as it's their server(s) - try contacting Klei about it, though am sure they've read this topic as well.

Again us random players/furmites here don't really have what to do - we can say is not moral and fair, that all players should be able to play on Klei Official Survival servers as those are usually for learning and friendly cooperation no matter skill levels and intentions; or go all the way into "total-liberty land" with "well is the first-came-first-served player's right to do whatever they want, as it's their right to be @sshats ...and bear the consequences" - still this will change little as we cannot directly affect mentioned situations in any meaningful way beside pointing said incidents to Klei.

On 5/23/2019 at 2:52 PM, kz2 said:

Set some filters on your server list and you’ll be able to find fresh day 1-15 servers fairly easy.

You can also try other dedicated servers, I highly recommend the “Vanilla” servers for being well-moderated and having a good community.

Kz2 I have a question for you?  How can a server with 8 slots be for all dst members?   only 8 people can play at a time    resources at the portal were gone because ppl joined in the summer and burnt the grass, twigs and bushes.  Bases were set at the portal and they got burnt.  Signs were made they got burnt.  Klei by doing nothing has made the public servers so laggy that is discourages most players from playing on the Official Server.

Wow, blocking touchstones is pretty awful. Why are people elaborately trying to design ways to give players a bad experience? You just make it impossible for every other good player to revive. And the bizarre tentacle trap with loot kind of reveals the paranoia you have to have and disrespect for the general community. You don't need to make griefer traps, and I guarantee they cause more damage than they mitigate. Public servers are for everyone, private servers are for you and your friends and it should stay that way.

This is my thought on the 'right' to play.

I, including trolls and people who were kicked, are allowed by klei, to join klei servers. After that, I have up to 30 seconds to do whatever I want, including burning buildings, sadly, allowed by klei too.

Players, are allowed by klei, to vote on who to kick, democratically.

Players, can continue playing, until they incur enough displeasure of other players. Different players have different metrics of displeasure though. Some of them are:

burning buildings, taking items such as krampus sack, eating more food than you need, leading bosses and hounds to base, failure to comply to instruction, using offensive languages, being unproductive, being a ghost, occupying slots meant for friends, or a history of these, or a perception of these.

By the way, the metrics that I gave, are not exactly the metrics that I used for kicking.

So basically, I have no right to play; I can play as long as I do not incur sufficient displeasure. This is how the 'right' to play, is balanced by the other players, of their 'right' to not play with me.

The ability to play, is different from the 'right' to be alive, or the 'right' to be revived, or the 'right' to revive using touch stone. Regarding these rights, you can consult Klei to give you god mode. For kz2, the story that I heard is that you and 2 other friends were expecting to be alive when you joined the world in early winter. There are wiser players who have picked their battle wisely, and hence they lived.

Dealing with trollsssssssssssss is bad enough. My team do not want to deal with trollssssssssssssss with 3 lives. My team has decided to tentacle the touch stones. My team has to accept that the touchstones would remain unusable to us too, and that public are the collateral damage in the war against trolls. This collateral damage is already reduced compared to tentacles at the portal.

8 hours ago, blizstorm said:

This is my thought on the 'right' to play.

I, including trolls and people who were kicked, are allowed by klei, to join klei servers. After that, I have up to 30 seconds to do whatever I want, including burning buildings, sadly, allowed by klei too.

Players, are allowed by klei, to vote on who to kick, democratically.

Players, can continue playing, until they incur enough displeasure of other players. Different players have different metrics of displeasure though. Some of them are:

burning buildings, taking items such as krampus sack, eating more food than you need, leading bosses and hounds to base, failure to comply to instruction, using offensive languages, being unproductive, being a ghost, occupying slots meant for friends, or a history of these, or a perception of these.

By the way, the metrics that I gave, are not exactly the metrics that I used for kicking.

So basically, I have no right to play; I can play as long as I do not incur sufficient displeasure. This is how the 'right' to play, is balanced by the other players, of their 'right' to not play with me.

The ability to play, is different from the 'right' to be alive, or the 'right' to be revived, or the 'right' to revive using touch stone. Regarding these rights, you can consult Klei to give you god mode. For kz2, the story that I heard is that you and 2 other friends were expecting to be alive when you joined the world in early winter. There are wiser players who have picked their battle wisely, and hence they lived.

Dealing with trollsssssssssssss is bad enough. My team do not want to deal with trollssssssssssssss with 3 lives. My team has decided to tentacle the touch stones. My team has to accept that the touchstones would remain unusable to us too, and that public are the collateral damage in the war against trolls. This collateral damage is already reduced compared to tentacles at the portal.

I have feeling you ran into too many paranoid players, which makes sense on Klei servers. New players who got into the game are trying their best to survive. Getting food is hard for them, as well as getting some other essential resources. They are paranoid of others wasting all of those hard-earned resources. It also doesn't help that if they die, they are basicaly forbidden to play on this server until it resets.

They may also... have some unpleasant experience with certain group of people who not only don't want to help with the littlest of problems but also intentionaly make their survival harder by trapping useful things or places. To some it would just make them join dedicated/private servers, some would ragequit out of the entire game, but some... don't forgive that easily and make it their goal to teach the "more experienced" player a lesson.

Do you see where I'm going with it?

9 hours ago, blizstorm said:

My team has decided to tentacle the touch stones. My team has to accept that the touchstones would remain unusable to us too, and that public are the collateral damage in the war against trolls. This collateral damage is already reduced compared to tentacles at the portal.

Ok. Ty for finally and clearly admitting the fact you chumps filled an Official Klei server's Touchstones with tentacles. And that you kicked players for "failure to comply to instruction, being unproductive, being a ghost, occupying slots meant for friend" - because ofc you and your buddies were "the owners" of a public server, proving the "taking the server captive" thing. Right. Congrats, you are part of the toxicity in Klei official servers problem. And yes, this is griefing as well.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Ok. Ty for finally and clearly admitting the fact you chumps filled an Official Klei server's Touchstones with tentacles. And that you kicked players for "failure to comply to instruction, being unproductive, being a ghost, occupying slots meant for friend" - because ofc you and your buddies were "the owners" of a public server, proving the "taking the server captive" thing. Right. Congrats, you are part of the toxicity in Klei official servers problem. And yes, this is griefing as well.

Mate, I'm not gonna fault you for your way of thinking. Honestly, I thought the same about them. I thought, as I watched the server go up in days every time I checked back, that they were the reasons the Klei servers were in shambles. Every time I entered another public server, it would crash or the caves wouldn't work.

I too thought it was a bunch of elitists just holding a server hostage and I didn't want to go in out of fear of just being kicked on the spot. But I had fun. A lot of people had fun. Sure, you want to turn your nose up and away from that fact, but it's the truth. I met a lot of good people and a lot of very questionable people. Newbies, veterans, griefers, it was quite the colorful cast of characters coming in and out of the server day by day. Something I haven't experienced in a public Klei server in long time.

Yeah, you could say what they were doing was griefing and I might very well agree with you. Though it was only one maze of tentacles and the entirety of spawn was lit up by ocuvigils. The only other tentacle area had to be IN base where the beequeen was. If there were any more, I did not know of it. But, you know what was else by spawn? Base. Base was right next to spawn with nothing barring anyone from entering.

But again, if you wish to turn your nose up, be my guest. The server is gone, its goal has been reached and nobody REALLY cared about its existence until that very moment. I was personally happy to be a part of it in some way, despite being a hermit who persisted on being Webber and then switching to Wormwood for the rest of the time spent there.

There will always be toxicity. I view it a lot in the forums and on public servers I join, you can't escape it. Nobody attempts to help it, nobody can truly make it worse. I mean, the reasons for the trap was that very toxicity. :/ But that was a double-edged sword. You can't stop it without becoming what you aimed to stop, in a way.

This post wasn't really meant to prove anything, just to get it off my chest before I put this whole thing to rest in my mind. We have our different perspectives on the matter and I respect that, I understand the viewpoint all too well. I just wanted to throw my two cents into the ring, even if it's not much. Good day/night to you mate.

12 hours ago, blizstorm said:

2 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

And that you kicked players for "failure to comply to instruction, being unproductive, being a ghost, occupying slots meant for friend" - because ofc you and your buddies were "the owners" of a public server, proving the "taking the server captive" thing. 

What x0VERSUS1y has posted is outright libel and I am deeply offended. x0VERSUS1y seems to have willfully misquoted my statement, ignoring both the statements before and after the paragraph. i believed x0VERSUS1y has provided false information that harmed the reputation of my account, and x0VERSUS1y should correct his post the soonest possible, or that moderators should take action

11 minutes ago, blizstorm said:

What x0VERSUS1y has posted is outright libel and I am deeply offended. x0VERSUS1y seems to have willfully misquoted my statement, ignoring both the statements before and after the paragraph. i believed x0VERSUS1y has provided false information that harmed the reputation of my account, and x0VERSUS1y should correct his post the soonest possible, or that moderators should take action

"Deeply offended"...lol - you know, this isn't Twitter. Better word your posts in a more comprehensible English then, lad; because is barely understandable. Also it seems you have quite a bit of haughtiness ...for someone that basically took "captive" a server. I see how someone like you would kick people at the slightest "triggering" from people not doing what you tell them to. Your "reputation" kinda talks for itself at this point really.

If you're going to talk about trolling people and pissing people off, you're going to have pissed off people replying to you. 

That being said. Everybody please keep conversation polite without personal attacks. Thanks. 

I think we deserve some more imaginative trolls. Just burning and smashing buildings, burning supplies (you think the regulars are the reason its so hard to gather resources for new players?) and initiating regen votes isn't very creative. We had a whole chest of weatherpains and not once did I see someone opt to go on a base destruction spree with those. The only interesting thing you guys came up with was moving the celestial orb so far into the void that it couldn't show up on the map anymore. Now that was an interesting day until it was eventually found and put back. Do more stuff like that next time and don't be such basic b*****s when it comes to your griefing sprees. Have a little more pride in your sad little pastime.

Archived