How ofen do you join others

How often do you join others?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever join just random players worlds?

• Yes
    • On rare occasion
    • No
  2. 2. Do you join worlds that have default names?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't see why this makes a difference
  3. 3. Do you join Public Klei servers?

• Yes
    • On rare occasion
    • No
  4. 4. When you host your own world do you like it when other players join?

• Yes, they help alot
    • Maybe, often i'm worried but that usually clears up after a few days of them not greifing
    • Maybe, they can help but i'm constantly worried of them turning on me
    • No, i prefer to play alone... but i'm a masochist so i keep a public serer open anyways

Hey, i just made this because i was wondering if people actually liked other people joining their server and other things similar to it such as the bias towards different names (if you have any servers that for some reason or another, a specific name makes you not join them please let me know in the comments) because i stopped joining servers quite quick once i realized its kinda a gamble, sometimes you can join the server if its a player hosted one but if they're not on, good luck, and if they suddenly get bored and never play again that's all that progress down the drain, and dedicated servers, i don't know much about but i've heard they refresh every once and awhile and hat isn't too appealing to me, i absolutely  LOVE the concept of multiplayer in Don't Starve but i feel sometimes if falls short on to fault of the developers and it saddens me, also if you're this far in i'm not sure if i'm allowed to share my Psn or Steam id here (i have both versions) but DM me if you want to add me i'm usually free except for work on weekdays, which thankfully is changing soon, but right now i'm available after 4 my time in the weekdays and almost 24/7 on weekends (bar sleep) Thanks for reading!

For "4. When you host your own world do you like it when other players join?" there should also be the option "Yes, if they are my friends" - aka my case.

Also, regarding names and biases - I generally don't care about naming though if something clever and/or creative in a neutral-positive manner is in server's title, that would be a bon for sure. But if I see any weird and cringy stuff like "FucBoi cummytrain of cuckold surprises" (lel!) or anything offensive or blatant insults.. needless to say is an instant "Ok, bye, next!" for said server - saves time in dealing with problematic people.

I don’t necessarily fear other players griefing or turning on me, I’m more worried that I’ll end up spending most of my time babysitting rather than doing what I want to do on any particular world. 

It's all fun and games when you're hosting a public world until you realize it's 1 of you and 5 "brick" players that do absolutely nothing but consume resources in the middle of summer

Periodically I open my worlds to the public, makes it interesting and refreshing, but lately I've been doing more Friends-Only because the players that usually end up joining my world are really, really bad. I shouldn't have to instruct you what to do in a survival game, you should be able to use that brain sitting on that stem and be able to piece together that just maybe having a full server of people means there should be more food production, resource production, whatever. If you see a tree farm and a bunch of axes laying around, don't wait for someone else to do it, do it yourself.

Whenever I go on to a server I'm not hosting, I usually will go off on my own and set up a temporary base just so my own back is covered, but I'll be committing my time to a few tasks (Food gathering, resource collecting, lollygagging, etc) and then just show up to the main base like King Richard back from the crusades and dump off a load of resources that everyone quickly pours over, then I go right back to doing my job. In a sense, it's more relaxing for me this way, I don't have to worry about making sure the base is fine in the same way I would need to if I was the host, and when it ultimately comes to it, it all generally really isn't my problem if things go south. I feel like a visitor, poking around for a small time, and after I feel I've done enough work I just drop all my gear and DC.

It's also a pretty cool experience to slaughter deerclops on a random server and have the plucky band of the nooby host & friends treat you like a walking combat god when you stroll back into base and drop off the eyeball, or when they get wiped out and you walk in like the hero you are with plenty of hearts and booster shots. It's not too common and it's not like that's what you should strive for, but it's cool nonetheless, to see that after hours and hours of you playing the same game and dealing with the same threats with ease, that people that haven't quite gotten up to snuff on those things will react with pure wonder. It reminds me of the first time I killed a treeguard back in Don't Starve, I felt like my heart rate was going through the roof and when he finally toppled over I screamed out in joy. I then died to hounds the next day and lost that world, but, yknow, it's the little things.

Because of that, usually when I am in the mood to go on a pub, I look for worlds that you can sooorta tell that they'd be new players. (Albeit, it's kind of hard to pin point because they either completely butcher the world in world gen, have 10,000,000,002 mods, or they just found out what ~The Developer Console~ does and are using it more times than Wilson's died)

I like pubs in that I like coming up with new ways to start worlds

I'd love it if players cooperated more but more often then not it's either

•I'm carrying and sustaining trees rooted to the ground who leave because I'm not interacting with them because I'm sustaining them who leav.....

Or

•everyone dies/gets bored before day 12 and I'm the only one on the server left because apparently it's either day one base or bust for everyone I meet [ps4]

The fourth question lacked an answer for me.

I keep them open and I don't mind them griefing since such actions make the world feel alive with population acting in different ways.

I dislike PvP so there is never an outright way to kill each other and I wouldn't kick a person unless if the person is using deragatory language, one exception if that player is the only player in my world with me, in that case then I could just mute him.

The most boring thing I can imagine with joining other servers is getting kicked out or if the server is shut down quite close to  the time after I joined.

I also really dislike 99% of all mods which stops me from joining the mayority of the servers.

Archived