Stone fruit bushes are OP and should NOT be diggable

Stone fruit bushes are brokenly good right now. The island has about 25-30 of them which each produce 3 essentially giving you a full stack of unperishable berries ala bundling wraps without the actual (low) effort of defeating the bee queen as well as a stack of rocks. The bushes are harvestable every 2 days and are susceptible to Wicker's book, however the replanted bushes are bugged at the moment so when you replant them they never produce any more fruit but if you relog they work as you would expect.  These bushes need to remain on the island to incentivize revisiting it more or just act as a good scavageble food source during long stays. At the minimum if these bushes were to remain uprootable they should at least incorporate the current disease system where maybe normal berry bushes instead of turning into rot when digged up turn into a new item that is the only thing effective at fertilizing (even if only the initial fertilization) the stone fruit bushes. That way they serve more of a late game food source where you transition your normal berry farm into these better variants.   

If these stay as is this is a HUGE buff to Wickerbottom who can now in addition to farming twigs, grass, logs and berries she can also farm nonperishable ripe stone fruit( WHICH ARE VEGGIES), and rocks. 

32 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

They're affected by disease though.

I don't feel like thats a big enough downside. It takes a while for disease to even set in. A competent Wickerbottom can just mass farm these things so you essentially would be covered on food for as long as you care to farm and by the time disease did hit them you could easily have thousands of nonperishable berries. One book can produce over 200 of these things. 

For example here is some math:

The last island i visited had 28 bushes. 28x3 = 84 fruit. 84 x 5 book uses = 420 fruit. 420/3 = 140. 

Thats a guaranteed 140 meatballs worth of fruit for just one Wickerbottom book!

When i mentioned the disease system I meant more for it to act as a timelock for being able to transfer the stone berry bushes to your main base

18 minutes ago, sudoku said:

A competent Wickerbottom can just mass farm these things so you essentially would be covered on food for as long as you care to farm and by the time disease did hit them you could easily have thousands of nonperishable berries. 

With a competent Wickerbottom, you can rush a tentacle trap at Bee Queen for Bundling Wraps though? And if they're competent, would they really be struggling with mass-producing food in the first place? They'd would have to read Horticulture twice, since the bush has two stages of growth before you can harvest it too. All for some berries that restore 13 hunger and 1 health point. It's not like a crazy amount of them spawn on the island anyways. (edit: at least for me, I didn't get that many bushes).

13 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

With a competent Wickerbottom, you can rush a tentacle trap at Bee Queen for Bundling Wraps though? And if they're competent, would they really be struggling with mass-producing food in the first place? They'd would have to read Horticulture twice, since the bush has two stages of growth before you can harvest it too. All for some berries that restore 13 hunger and 1 health point. It's not like a crazy amount of them spawn on the island anyways.

Oh youre right! I forgot they used 2 uses of the book my bad and i also forgot that they dont guarantee a fruit drop they can also drop rocks. Their singular hunger and health is irrelevant since you will be making meatballs (or just used in a crockpot in general) with them. Like I said it does take some effort for Wickerbottom to kill beequeen and while good Wickerbottoms certainly can farm normal bushes as much as they want and not be hurting for food there is at least some penalty for mass producing as most of the harvest will spoil.

These bushes however have no penalty for farming unless you count simultaneous farming of rocks a downside. 

I'm not disagreeing that Wickerbottom can already solve the food problem with ease but that with the introduction of these new bushes and them being farmable makes food even more trivial than it already is. Sure Wickerbottom can rush the Beequeen but thats a big enough hurdle that only the most competent Wickerbottoms can pull off. Most run of the mill Wickers dont even consider taking the queen on but with these new bushes they dont even need to; the Bee Queen becomes even less relevant.  This isnt even mentioning that the bundling wraps at least have a cap with how many you can make and only drops 1 blueprint meaning multiple queens would need to be killed to get more if the Wicker used the blueprint and then left the server. 

Heck take Wickerbottom out of the equation. The bushes take 2 days to produce, whereas normal bushes take 3-5

I mean if you look at juicy berry bushes that also produce 3 berries, the spoil rate is much faster to balance the fact that you are getting 3x more berries per harvest, and then you have these new bushes that also produce 3 fruit that essentially have no spoil time. And sure i did the math wrong in my other post but here if you had 28 bushes with a 50% chance to drop either rocks or bushes then you still average out to about 40 fruit per harvest and 40 free rocks.  

EDIT: AND THIS WHOLE TIME I WAS UNAWARE THAT STONE FRUIT IS NOT EVEN A FRUIT ITS A VEGGIE, meaning their usefulness just went up even more since this is an easy way to spam peirogies 

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Bundling wrap exists already. They obviously don't care about the spoiling mechanic anymore. So why is this a problem?

Even taking away the fact that the bundling wrap exists and the fact the fruit doesnt spoil. This is a huge buff to wickerbottom who can add easy veggie farming and rocks to her list, when character refreshes are supposed to be about balancing, it seems wrong to give Wickerbottom even more things she can farm. Not to mention why add a sailing mechanic to the game if the island is just gonna be another biome where you can uproot every resource and plant it at your base to sit and farm at

Maybe they could change them to work kinda like nettles on hamlet, either only plantable on moon turf and make it so you HAVE to craft the turf or only being able to be harvested during Full Moon or something.

I've also just found out that there is a small chance that a stone fruit will also drop a sapling for another bush. So you can exponentially grow your farm and makes disease pretty much negated as you keep getting more bushes from a potential harvest. 

10 minutes ago, Osbalop said:

Maybe they could change them to work kinda like nettles on hamlet, either only plantable on moon turf and make it so you HAVE to craft the turf or only being able to be harvested during Full Moon or something.

I do believe they require moon turf but its not exactly hard to get. The full moon harvest would be a good balance change though.  (just tested they can grow on regular turf)

5 hours ago, sudoku said:

I don't feel like thats a big enough downside. It takes a while for disease to even set in. A competent Wickerbottom can just mass farm these things so you essentially would be covered on food for as long as you care to farm and by the time disease did hit them you could easily have thousands of nonperishable berries. One book can produce over 200 of these things. 

For example here is some math:

The last island i visited had 28 bushes. 28x3 = 84 fruit. 84 x 5 book uses = 420 fruit. 420/3 = 140. 

Thats a guaranteed 140 meatballs worth of fruit for just one Wickerbottom book!

When i mentioned the disease system I meant more for it to act as a timelock for being able to transfer the stone berry bushes to your main base

i think the way you get there is difficult enough so that reward is deserving

You'd need to go insane, or deal with the enlightenment

You need to build a boat, build masts, a steering wheel and anchor aswell as some chests

the process is just pretty difficult, also in upcoming patches new content will be added to the islands, which means they'll be new mobs and new hazards occupying the islands, making this even more worth it

Even with expiration food isn't complicated outside of people playing as wig and meat being somewhat more complicated to get. Even if I don't focus on food, i end up with more than I need, comfortably. I don't really see this 'hurting' the game at all or really even benefiting Wicker that much. 

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

My only problem with the stone fruit is their absence in the guacamole recipe.

Completely unplayable!

30 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Report as a bug.

Uh, they work as a substitute for cactus in guacamole, so it works.

Edit: Proof

5ce341dcaee0e_moleproof.gif.dccebda91186f84ced18c835f28e6cb4.gif

7 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Uh, they work as a substitute for cactus in guacamole, so it works.

Edit: Proof

5ce341dcaee0e_moleproof.gif.dccebda91186f84ced18c835f28e6cb4.gif

Welp that’s embarrassing... Serves me right for not double checking.

Think they're OP if dug up? Don't dig them up then. Impose the challenge on yourself. 
Think using Wicker's book on them is OP? Don't do it. It's that simple. 
But don't call for a nerf to a food-rock source that is far from the most "OP" or exploitable food source. 
We should seek for further buffs to other areas of the game rather than nerfs to the already strong parts. 

Archived