Interesting stuff in Return of Them - Turn of Tides beta

• Developer

This is gonna be random stuff I found.
WARNING: doing any of this stuff inside a survival world is not recommended, it can soft lock save files, and various other things.

there is a new prefab called "animalhat" upon spawning it, it does well  this:
2019-05-17_14-04-46.gif.866e38f97d4f5ecee8a2c9d856ca3ffb.gif

it uses a new component called LivingHat, now this thing is clearly a test(for instance, the "animalhat" automatically attaches itself to ThePlayer(player 1)) but, we might see some pet or enemy that lands on our head.

The water color is dynamic, allowing you to do this:
2019-05-17_14-50-55.gif.2723578e08abe702a653af7fb0e07aef.gif

console command:

Spoiler

rainbowcolor = {1, 1, 1, 1} rainbowtask = TheWorld:DoPeriodicTask(1, function() local watercolor = TheWorld.components.watercolor watercolor.start_color = shallowcopy(watercolor.current_color) watercolor.end_color = shallowcopy(rainbowcolor) watercolor.lerp = 0 rainbowcolor[1] = (rainbowcolor[1] + math.random() * 0.25) % 1 rainbowcolor[2] = (rainbowcolor[2] + math.random() * 0.18) % 1 rainbowcolor[3] = (rainbowcolor[3] + math.random() * 0.32) % 1 end)

a component called SeasonManager got randomly added to the beta with the following code:

local SeasonManager = Class(function(self, inst)
    self.inst = inst
end)

local season_manager = SeasonManager()

function SeasonManager:IsWetSeason()
	return false;
end

function SeasonManager:IsDrySeason()
	return false;
end

function GetSeasonManager()
	return season_manager
end

this might be here so that some of the code snagged from SW didn't need to be rewritten, or it might be a hint of things to come.

When poking around on the code for lunar islands, a couple new map tags got added(map tags control things like sandstorms, and the ruins and the atrium)
some were not interesting, but others were slightly more so:
we got these two tags: "nohunt"(blocks the hunting tracks from spawning) and then we ALSO got the tag called "moonhunt" which currently blocks hunting tracks from spawning, along with being required for mutated pengulls, now this seems like a ton of infrastructure just for pengulls, so I imagine later on down the line there being special moon hunting tracks that do something cool.
oh, also the lunar islands don't have deerclops/bearger attacks, so that's cool, i guess.

I will keep updating this if/when I find more cool stuff, so check back occasionally.

47 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

This might be here so that some of the code snagged from SW didn't need to be rewritten, or it might be a hint of things to come.

They did say it was the framework for the other updates

16 hours ago, Zarklord said:

it uses a new component called LivingHat, now this thing is clearly a test(for instance, the "animalhat" automatically attaches itself to ThePlayer(player 1)) but, we might see some pet or enemy that lands on our head.

Klei pls I wanted this since day 1 Klei PLS I WILL LITERALLY PAY MONEY

dsf.png

I thought the same thing when I found the Animal hat. 

I Wonder if the frog was just for testing/animating purposes or if the creature's gonna be frog related.

I assume the water color and season checker are gonna work hand in and in the future.
I hope we get some like, animals and parasites that latch onto you, Slurper style.

Oh, and can you find anything on the Net? And can you find how the items in water works, now?
In SW each item's got an animation for being in the water, and whatnot.
But in DST it seems that items that fall in the water are just cut off, and bob.
I'll try to find images on the water.

I don't know when/if the net will be craftable, but I do know that it can be used to retrieve things in the ocean (driftwood, antchovies from the shoals, and puffins, though you can't actually catch them as they fly away after the net opens). Looking forwards to it though!

On 5/19/2019 at 6:07 AM, -Variant said:

I assume the water color and season checker are gonna work hand in and in the future.

imagine if your just sailing around then all of a sudden the water turns red as symbolizing some form of event happening like a boss fight

9 minutes ago, Omaremad74 said:

The new water added to the beta.

not too sure what you mean by "spawn the turf" but try this

local pt = TheInput:GetWorldPosition(); local x, y = TheWorld.Map:GetTileCoordsAtPoint(pt:Get()); local tile = TheWorld.Map:GetTileAtPoint(pt:Get()); TheWorld.Map:SetTile(x, y, GROUND.OCEAN_START); TheWorld.Map:RebuildLayer(tile, x, y); TheWorld.Map:RebuildLayer(GROUND.OCEAN_START, x, y); TheWorld.minimap.MiniMap:RebuildLayer(tile, x, y); TheWorld.minimap.MiniMap:RebuildLayer(GROUND.OCEAN_START, x, y)

you'll notice that the tile doesn't actually load so just restart world after doing that command and the tile will update

Archived