How to Opt-In to the Beta Branch for Don't Starve Together

• Developer

Hey everyone,

With all the new content and tech being added we need your help in testing it to make sure the added content is stable before releasing it the live branch.

If you would like to jump into our testing branch, we would really appreciate you letting us know if anything is broken or missing.

Beta Branch Requirements:

• You must own Don't Starve Together
  • The game must not be running when opting into the beta branch

How to access the BETA Branch

Spoiler
  • Close DST if it is running
  • In Steam click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Don't Starve Together.
  • Right-click, select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the "updatebeta" branch.
    • You may need to restart Steam to see this branch.
  • In that same properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press Verify Integrity Of Game Files.
  • Your game will be updated to the beta version.
  • Run the game and go to Browse Games. You should see servers which are running the beta. Have fun!

Will I lose my existing worlds when switching to the beta?

Spoiler

No.

To preserve the integrity of your non-beta worlds, the beta branch uses this save directory: \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBetaBranch. 
If you wish to start the beta using a copy of your existing worlds, follow these instructions:

• Make sure the update beta has launched atleast once.
  • Go to \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\<numbers>\
  • Copy all the saves to \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBetaBranch\<numbers>\ renaming the cluster folders so they don't clash.
    • If you had a Cluster_1 folder in normal game, and you had a Cluster_1, Cluster_3, and Cluster_4 in the beta saves folder, you would rename the copied save to Cluster_2, the next free number would be Cluster_5, and so on.

Do I need to start a new world, or will the new content be retrofitted into old worlds?

Spoiler

We intend to support retrofitting existing worlds with new content so you do not require a new world for each update. That said, some content is hard to retrofit (such as world generation changes) and may not be to the same quality level as a creating a new world.

Can I keep my beta worlds when the beta is over?

Spoiler

When the beta is over, DST will continue to use the \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether, not the beta folder. At this point, you will have to copy your saves from the beta save folder to the non-beta save folder. If you want to do this then follow these instructions:

• Go to \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherBetaBranch\<numbers>\
  • Copy all the saves to \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\<numbers>\ renaming the cluster folders so they don't clash.
    • If you had a Cluster_1 folder in the Beta, and you had a Cluster_1, Cluster_3, and Cluster_4 in the existing saves folder, you would rename the copied save to Cluster_2, the next free number would be Cluster_5, and so on.

Thank you for your help everyone! We're really excited to get beta branch content into your hands and we are very much looking forward to your feedback.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • GL Happy 3

just to confirm to install/update new beta on beta branch on Linux Ubuntu server, the script will look something like this?

./steamcmd.sh +@ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1 +@NoPromptForPassword 1 +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/steam/steamapps/DSTBeta +app_update 343050 -beta returnofthembeta +quit

• Like 1

This may sounds like a dumb question, but I didn't participate in any other beta, but do the betas affect the drop rate of the skins? I wanna play this, but I also wanna save up Spool for Wortox and the next characters.

HOLY CRAP I AM HYPED UP AS HELL-

...and i got homework to do :( Tomorrow's Friday at least...

Also, will Wormwood get some quote reworks? I really don't like Wormwood's quotes at all. It's the reason I don't like Wormwood; he's a piece of cardboard.

I know a lot of people like him but one of if not the main reason I love Don't Starve is because of the characters, and how much charm the world has. So maybe his quotes matter more to me than others. I'm sorry, but they're really bad.

Edited by Nyla Smokeyface

OH MY GOD, Y E S. 
SO excited.
Edit: Can't seem to find any "orange titled" server listings, nor am I able to create one. How am I certain that it is a "Them" server when the settings look the same as ROG? I followed the instructions and the only thing that changed was the title of the game.

Edited by nimdra
more questions

Is it possible to host a dedicated server of the new beta? can someone teaches me how? what do i need to change from my dedicated server on the main to become a beta server? thankyou so much

• Like 2

• Developer
2 hours ago, nimdra said:

OH MY GOD, Y E S. 
SO excited.
Edit: Can't seem to find any "orange titled" server listings, nor am I able to create one. How am I certain that it is a "Them" server when the settings look the same as ROG? I followed the instructions and the only thing that changed was the title of the game.

You will only see servers for the beta if you are in the beta. The "orange servers" thing has been removed.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ains said:

Is it possible to host a dedicated server of the new beta? can someone teaches me how? what do i need to change from my dedicated server on the main to become a beta server? thankyou so much

Add the parameter for SteamCMD:

-beta returnofthembeta

During its update use.

This'll get the beta files.

Edited by CarlZalph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

so, it will be event or free dlc or not free?

there will be 2 types of servers or still will be ony type with all content inside?

The beta here is free for anyone to use, it's in the betas tab you can access even right now.

Once the bugs are done and through then I imagine it'll either go live or do what A New Reign did and have proceeding updates for further testings to then get release on the release branch as one package.

The beta and nonbeta servers are not compatible to play with one another due to how much change there is for now, but once they merge it all to the release then it'll all be in sync again.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

as i understand all item drops, weakly and daily which was earnned during beta will be removed from account after beta?

I got a rose skin for Wolfgang in the beta for login, and it's in my Steam inventory and has the sell option.  So for this I'd say it's safe to assume that you keep the drops regardless of beta status.

• Like 1

Okay, so, single player is now becoming entirely obsolete huh?

Pretty clear Hamlet was just given up on and released, and it's no wonder why now, because shipwrecked and hamlet content is just coming to DST.

And that comment at the end of the Hamlet launch announcement didn't go unnoticed either.

On one hand I'm upset that Hamlet got shafted, on the other hand, this is actually amazing and will take up the rest of my life.

Edited by Ogrecakes
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1