My problem with Hamlet.

Szczuku

Hamlet is overal great… on paper. In reality a lot of its content is not really that exciting

Y'know you hear "tropical jungle" , "ancient dungeons exploration" , "pig civilization" and you're all excited right?

Unfortunatelly pig ruins are more of a decoration than anything. They exist so tht you can get some mediocare loot from vases and money from totems. But since you can just get lucky with worldgen and have 12 Grandpa Pigs and 30 hedges to cut there's no need to go to the ruins other than bat wings (which are limited at that). A good way to encourage players to go to the ruins would be to make them bigger and actually have them have some valuable loot in chest that could end up being mimics or something like that. And maybe make it Reneable after surviving like 10 days of Aporkalypse.

There's absolutely no lore. None. Ok maybe existance of Ancient Herald kinda makes Hamlet canon but other than that there's no lore that most people expected. No explenation what pigs are doing in Constant, if they knew Ancients, who created Iron Hulk etc. It's the same with Sw: some volcano civilization, merms evolving, some people (or pirates) that existed there b4 us.

It actually feels as if Klei avoided adding any lore as every Tempting Totem/Crumbling Visage etc have examination quotes for a boulder.

Islands are very boring. There's no reason to explore them fully, just find what you need and be done with them.

Seasons still lack interesting content. I mean an example of content that Klei could've added would be Snaptooths blooming durring Lush and droping new item which would lead to a new craftable and so on.

No new Treeguards (tradition boken)

Aporkalypse having no real atmosphere or vibe. Or a better way of killing the player than… well, just killing them.

No variants of bats. Or cap on their numbers. I mean here're my ideas for bat variantions. Humid season: Pregnant Bat that spaws 2-4 Batilisks after death. Here, also fixed the problem with bat wings. Lush season: Bat covered with polen that makes our character sneeze when we're close to him or when he hits us. Drops some new item that we could use to craft a piece of clothing that'd makes Rabid Beetles stay away from us, but attracts Snaptooths. Maybe craft it with new item dropped by blooming Snaptooths.

No alternative forms for Ro Bin. Maybe when Ro Bin is fed 9 Ruins items he'd turn into a more BFB looking bird that when fed crockpot meat item would carry us making us untargetable untill we decide to do an action other than walking. Or another version that when fed Living Artifact (if it is an item you can carry as I haven't seen it yet) would turn into a mechanical version that can store 12 items and maybe do something else idk

(My opinion) No BFB boss fight. Made a thread about it couple moths ago.

I think part of the problem with stuff like treeguards is that they want resources to be more scarce. In your post you first complain that there are not enough reasons to visit the specific islands, then about the lack of treeguards. But the devs obviously wanted to make living logs less easy to get so you have to go to the second pig island to get them from mandrakes, which is more or less what you’re asking for.

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

I think part of the problem with stuff like treeguards is that they want resources to be more scarce. In your post you first complain that there are not enough reasons to visit the specific islands, then about the lack of treeguards. But the devs obviously wanted to make living logs less easy to get so you have to go to the second pig island to get them from mandrakes, which is more or less what you’re asking for.

but normal tree guards still spawn don't they? 

plus you can just buy living logs so who cares.

also the idea of not having to explore the other islands still stand because 2nd island still leaves bfb, and pugalisk(leaving out herald for obvious reasons) even then you never have to return to the 2nd island after you get the pig queen items so why would you return.

52 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

also the idea of not having to explore the other islands still stand because 2nd island still leaves bfb, and pugalisk(leaving out herald for obvious reasons) even then you never have to return to the 2nd island after you get the pig queen items so why would you return

To strip the second hamlet of its resources, for one. I mean, realistically, there's no reason to go to a rocky biome or mosaic in ROG once you've striped the resources from them, and that's a lot faster/easier than stripping the second hamlet. Most ROG and SW runs have parts of the map that only get visited once or not at all. 

13 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

To strip the second hamlet of its resources, for one. I mean, realistically, there's no reason to go to a rocky biome or mosaic in ROG once you've striped the resources from them, and that's a lot faster/easier than stripping the second hamlet. Most ROG and SW runs have parts of the map that only get visited once or not at all. 

I don't think 3 fiths of the biomes in don't starve are useless. also those biomes are just meant to be for resources, the other islands should have a purpose.

11 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I have no idea why people are so caught up on treegaurds. We already have elder mandrakes and the magic shop for Living logs, so I don't really see what Hamlet has to gain by having yet another living tree.

It reminds me of the very vocal minority in the Paper Mario community that was incredibly riled up over the newest game's lack of a Blooper boss... It's always so strange to me when people complain that a game doesn't copy enough from previous entries, especially in a case like Hamlet where the core gameplay is so similar.

45 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

I have no idea why people are so caught up on treegaurds. We already have elder mandrakes and the magic shop for Living logs, so I don't really see what Hamlet has to gain by having yet another living tree.

It's not a "Living logs are to had to get" kind of complain. 

It's about keeping the tradition. RoG introduced Poison Birchnut Trees, SW Palm Treeguards so everyone thaught that Hamlet would also give us another species of Treeguards. Considering that one of the trees literally looks like a hand. 

It's the same as if devs decided to not add any befriendable creatures into Hamlet.

Or in this case- decide not to add Teleportato, bat variantions or Ro Bin transformations.

SW was better because it upheld the traditions of
- a new treeguard
- a new clockwork
- a new merm
- a new hunchback pig
- a new spider warrior
- a chester-styled mob with transformations, one of which is a bigger inventory
- seasonal variants for the mobs which are hounds that can swim
- a new small mob which COMES FROM A HOLE (pikos broke the tradition they live in trees)
- a new mob which uses mosling animations
- a new beefalo
- a new tentacle-styled mob in a swamp biome
- a new mob that you hunt by following the directions of objects which you examine
- unique krampus textures
- lureplants
- werepigs
- a new pig king-styled mob
- a unique shadow creature
- a new mob that uses the splumonkey animations
- a new common mob which you can kill and eat for a small amount of health
- a new item which you can eat to emit light
- a new boss which has children and protects them
seriously i cannot BELIVE klei would break the tradition of having a mob with mosling animations in every DLC

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

SW was better because it upheld the traditions of
- a new treeguard
- a new clockwork
- a new merm
- a new hunchback pig
- a new spider warrior
- a chester-styled mob with transformations, one of which is a bigger inventory
- seasonal variants for the mobs which are hounds that can swim
- a new small mob which COMES FROM A HOLE (pikos broke the tradition they live in trees)
- a new mob which uses mosling animations
- a new beefalo
- a new tentacle-styled mob in a swamp biome
- a new mob that you hunt by following the directions of objects which you examine
- unique krampus textures
- lureplants
- werepigs
- a new pig king-styled mob
- a unique shadow creature
- a new mob that uses the splumonkey animations
- a new common mob which you can kill and eat for a small amount of health
- a new item which you can eat to emit light
- a new boss which has children and protects them
seriously i cannot BELIVE klei would break the tradition of having a mob with mosling animations in every DLC

I think the tradition argument is stupid just because 2 other things did it doesn't make it tradition, but it still would be cool for a new tree guard or just enemy in general the current cast of early game enemies hasn't changed.

15 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

I think the tradition argument is stupid just because 2 other things did it doesn't make it tradition, but it still would be cool for a new tree guard or just enemy in general the current cast of early game enemies hasn't changed.

are you not outraged that RoG had moslings with their animations, then SW had doydoys which reuse the mosling animations, and then Hamlet had no mobs that reuse the mosling animations?

One of the things I hate about Aporkalypse is that ghosts activate traps and doors. It's almost impossible for "normal" player to end aporkalypse after it started. Only way is rushing until 60 day.

4 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

wait thats a bossfight?

Not sure what you mean. 

Right now BFB is just a taxi service to its nest. A destructive one. Most people (including me) had hoped hat there'd be a way to fight it.

for what it's worth and all the sometimes unwarranted hate SW development got... I feel like SW had much more content to release that Hamlet now.

I agree pretty much with all these

22 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Hamlet is overal great… on paper. In reality a lot of its content is not really that exciting

Y'know you hear "tropical jungle" , "ancient dungeons exploration" , "pig civilization" and you're all excited right?

Unfortunatelly pig ruins are more of a decoration than anything. They exist so tht you can get some mediocare loot from vases and money from totems. But since you can just get lucky with worldgen and have 12 Grandpa Pigs and 30 hedges to cut there's no need to go to the ruins other than bat wings (which are limited at that). A good way to encourage players to go to the ruins would be to make them bigger and actually have them have some valuable loot in chest that could end up being mimics or something like that. And maybe make it Reneable after surviving like 10 days of Aporkalypse.

There's absolutely no lore. None. Ok maybe existance of Ancient Herald kinda makes Hamlet canon but other than that there's no lore that most people expected. No explenation what pigs are doing in Constant, if they knew Ancients, who created Iron Hulk etc. It's the same with Sw: some volcano civilization, merms evolving, some people (or pirates) that existed there b4 us.

It actually feels as if Klei avoided adding any lore as every Tempting Totem/Crumbling Visage etc have examination quotes for a boulder.

Islands are very boring. There's no reason to explore them fully, just find what you need and be done with them.

Seasons still lack interesting content. I mean an example of content that Klei could've added would be Snaptooths blooming durring Lush and droping new item which would lead to a new craftable and so on.

No new Treeguards (tradition boken)

Aporkalypse having no real atmosphere or vibe. Or a better way of killing the player than… well, just killing them.

No variants of bats. Or cap on their numbers. I mean here're my ideas for bat variantions. Humid season: Pregnant Bat that spaws 2-4 Batilisks after death. Here, also fixed the problem with bat wings. Lush season: Bat covered with polen that makes our character sneeze when we're close to him or when he hits us. Drops some new item that we could use to craft a piece of clothing that'd makes Rabid Beetles stay away from us, but attracts Snaptooths. Maybe craft it with new item dropped by blooming Snaptooths.

No alternative forms for Ro Bin. Maybe when Ro Bin is fed 9 Ruins items he'd turn into a more BFB looking bird that when fed crockpot meat item would carry us making us untargetable untill we decide to do an action other than walking. Or another version that when fed Living Artifact (if it is an item you can carry as I haven't seen it yet) would turn into a mechanical version that can store 12 items and maybe do something else idk

(My opinion) No BFB boss fight. Made a thread about it couple moths ago.

Specially the late game content, teleportato and no Ro Bin transformations are very disappointing

10 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Klei one upped that, they made a Chicken which uses Mgoose animations.

You can spawn it, it works just fine, but is sadly unimplemented.

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎15 at 8:38 PM, Szczuku said:

Ok this one is slowly being fixed. Some things have unique quotes while others are still apparetly boulders

42 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Ok this one is slowly being fixed. Some things have unique quotes while others are still apparetly boulders

I wonder why it wasn't fixed properly BEFORE the release...

Hmm...

I'm running out of ideas here, guys.

19 hours ago, Roosev said:

I wonder why it wasn't fixed properly BEFORE the release...

Hmm...

I'm running out of ideas here, guys.

don't stress yourself too much, we still have to wait at least an year before Hamlet might get great content and updates like SW.

from my own POV I think the devs are taking a break and starting to put down what they really want in the game or not.

and it seems they tried making something new in DS world but lack of stuff or alternatives to original stuff has made Hamlet look small.

I personally hope one day we can perhaps get some sort of adventure mode in any DLC which can give us some lore and great gameplay.

at least this much would be enough to warrant as Good new content.

Archived