Why is Charlie hunting for Wilba?

Wilba is a pig after all and pigs are not Charlie's targets. She does not seem to be more intelligent than other pigs or be somehow related to normal world. Also her father's legacy should not affect her in the way that makes her a victim for Charlie. Why then Wilba is not safe in the dark?

27 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

Wilba is a pig after all and pigs are not Charlie's targets. She does not seem to be more intelligent than other pigs or be somehow related to normal world. Also her father's legacy should not affect her in the way that makes her a victim for Charlie. Why then Wilba is not safe in the dark?

because she has a desire to find out about the World she lives in, having a desire in the Constant will attract Shadow's attention and they will try to kill you if you stand out of line.

Remember, the Constant is like a cage and the Shadows are the captors, you have to keep playing along with the roles they have assigned you as their pet but if you don't and try find a way out of the said cage, they will hunt you down and kill you.

19 minutes ago, MWY said:

because she has a desire to find out about the World she lives in, having a desire in the Constant will attract Shadow's attention and they will try to kill you if you stand out of line.

Remember, the Constant is like a cage and the Shadows are the captors, you have to keep playing along with the roles they have assigned you as their pet but if you don't and try find a way out of the said cage, they will hunt you down and kill you.

When you talk about the Shadows you mean Them or Shadow Creatures?

Just now, inferjus4 said:

When you talk about the Shadows you mean Them or Shadow Creatures?

Them and Shadow Creatures are same,
Charlie was Human who was abducted the sameway as others but was turned into a Shadowy Night Monster by Them.

(Shadow creatures are physical manifestations of Them in general, the Biggest creature we have seen yet of "Them" is the Ancient Herald) 

1 minute ago, MWY said:

Charlie was Human who was abducted the sameway as others but was turned into a Shadowy Night Monster by Them.

(Shadow creatures are physical manifestations of Them in general, the Biggest creature we have seen yet of "Them" is the Ancient Herald) 

So Ancients and Them are the same thing? Aren't they different beings?

11 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

So Ancients and Them are the same thing? Aren't they different beings?

Ancients were another Civilisation like the Humanoid Pigs that existed before and find out about "Them" by digging deep and finding shadowy substance that they could use to create great technologies and other stuff with, this substance came to be known as "Nightmare Fuel"

but the Substance had a mind of its own and it lured the Ancient Civilisation to their Doom with promises of fulfilling their dreams and desires and thus it came to known as "Them" afterwards.

Now we don't know the history of the Humanoid pigs yet and how they came to interact with "Them" as the Ancient Herald seems to be a manifestation of Them but that's what Hamlet is all about it. Finding out how it all happened and why it happened etc.

and the Entire reason Wilba as a Humanoid Pig is attacked by Them cause she also wants to find out. (Probably)

2 hours ago, MWY said:

Okay, I've never looked at it this way, but I've gotta admit the way you described it is pretty badass sounding. 
I think I'll stick with this until we get solid confirmation, this is awesome.

But pigs are scared of the dark. Normal pigs go home or seek light. Hamlet pigs go home as well. If there is no home to go or light they both fall asleep. And we know Charlie would not attack while sleeping. So we can’t be sure pigs don’t get attack by the night monster a.k.a Charlie. I must say tho, I liked the idea of being more conscious and not fitting the role makes you target for the shadow monsters.  

1 hour ago, MWY said:

This is one of those situations where I would be as bold as to say this is incorrect, despite the rebuttal being speculation.

The Ancient Murals indicate pretty clearly that the "monsters bursting" out of the ancients are the Shadow Creatures, and the Fuelweaver makes it pretty clear that "They are coming."

In other words "They" are not here yet—while the Shadow Creatures very much all ready are.

2 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

The Ancient Murals indicate pretty clearly that the "monsters bursting" out of the ancients are the Shadow Creatures, and the Fuelweaver makes it pretty clear that "They are coming."

The in-game text for the murals implies that the fuel transformed ancients into greater beings capable of creating the civilization we see now in the ruins. It wasn't until they overused it and got overrun by darkness and shadow that they died or turned into Shadow Creatures.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

The in-game text for the murals implies that the fuel transformed ancients into greater beings capable of creating the civilization we see now in the ruins. It wasn't until they overused it and got overrun by darkness and shadow that they died or turned into Shadow Creatures.

Exactly,

the Ancient Fuel Weaver from DST is the only Ancient being we have seen infused with Shadow Fuel which he uses both for attacking and powering himself.

He continuously taunts the player that he won't be able to defeat "Them" and they will take over eventually.

Including the fact he keeps telling you to stay away from the fuel and he will kill us to spare us from Them taking over us.

By taking over obviously like Charlie who became the Queen of Shadows now in DST.

16 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

This is one of those situations where I would be as bold as to say this is incorrect, despite the rebuttal being speculation.

In other words "They" are not here yet—while the Shadow Creatures very much all ready are.

Shadow Creatures at best are the only physical manifestation of Them we have seen yet with Ancient Herald being under speculation, 

So over all I don't know if "Them" have arrived or not, the closest we have of Them are Shadow Creatures.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

I can't tell if you're disagree or not, because this is more or less what I'm saying.

6 minutes ago, MWY said:

Shadow Creatures at best are the only physical manifestation of Them we have seen yet with Ancient Herald being under speculation, 

So over all I don't know if "Them" have arrived or not, the closest we have of Them are Shadow Creatures.

"They" are referred to as a singular entity. Not as a plural group.

"Curse Their name!" Is used, where "Curse Them!" would have sufficed. In a similar case he also says, "You are not Them..." 
Not "You are not one of Them." Etc. There are more instances if you poke around enough.

The Fuelweaver makes the distinction between "us" and "we" when referring to himself & his people which is different from when he uses "Them". Even if you're meaning it in a "hivemind" sense, the Shadow Creatures end up following The Fuelweaver's goal of turning off the gateway which is against "Their" wishes, and inline with The Fuelweaver's goal of "saving" the player from a fate worse than death.

4 hours ago, Zeklo said:

snip

I consider Them as a Hivemind like and seeing as Charlie becoming their Queen now who transforms from herself to an evil shadowy version at random like the Ancient Fuel Weaver  who is permanently transformed into an evil shadowy like being with control over the shadows like her I assume that Shadows take over intelligent/sentient beings and use their bodies to further their goals.

They lure said intelligent beings with promises of Great Power (Ancient Civilisation) Great Success (Maxwell) Great Achievement (Wilson) Curosity (Wagstaff) Fear and Insanity (Charlie) and so on for other characters and the one who embraces them becomes the King/Queen which will rule for them and further their Goals.

Maxwell is still able to make his own shadows at cost of his health and sanity which obey him so its pretty obvious Shadows can be bent to your will if you have enough will power but those with weaker will power will become haunted by Them and then either killed or took over to become their puppet King/Queen.

4 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Spoiler

But Maxwell seems to strongly imply that Them are indeed the Shadow creatures. The evidence is in his lantern quote below :

Spoiler

I hope this keeps Them away.

Maxwell on lanterns

And we know for a fact more that one of Them fears light. There's the Night Hand who tries to extinguish our fires and crawls away from light sources coming toward them and there's the Eyes that only appears in total darkness. It wouldn't make any sense for him to reference beings we have yet to encounter or even Charlie as he calls her by her name when he's in darkness. This can be the only explanation!

3 minutes ago, SouthTom said:

-snip-

I have no idea what you did with the formatting but that is a nightmare to quote.

Anyway, the lantern only suggests that "They" are darkness. Which I would say is more or less correct. To immediately attribute it to the Shadow Creatures is innately flawed for reasons you already provided: only one of the shadow creatures follows that rule.

There is however a "being" which also follows this rule—

Spoiler

opBPevB.png

—the source of the nightmare fuel and Shadow Creatures to begin with.

This is what I believe to be Them. As it aligns with the Fuelweaver's words while other possibilities don't fair as well.

To clear up confusion when I was referring to "Shadow Creatures" I was referring to the actual mobs—Terror Beaks & Crawling Horrors (not the Shipwrecked ones either because Shipwrecked is it's own mess). With the Terror Beaks being the Ancients and the Crawling Horrors potentially being something similar or a different species that was overtaken in a similar fashion.

I do believe that the hands may be a representation of "Them", but not things like Mr. Skits. Primarily due to the loading screen which shows Shadow Hands "forming" the world, much like a puppet master would. The similarity to the "tendrils" in the mural is nothing to scoff at either. Think of it like: the source is not "here" (yet) but it's reach extends far.

17 minutes ago, Zeklo said:
  Hide contents

opBPevB.png

—the source of the nightmare fuel and Shadow Creatures to begin with.

This is what I believe to be Them. As it aligns with the Fuelweaver's words while other possibilities don't fair as well.

Are you talking about Them being the Ancients or the Night Hands coming from the Gateway?

That's the main thing I see here : Night hands

7 hours ago, Zeklo said:

-snip-

I've always thought the Shadow Creatures are Them because Maxwell during Adventure Mode states that he needs to stay dapper in order to avoid Them, which is what all the characters need to do to avoid Shadow Creatures. His examine string for the Swimming Horror also states he has had enough of dealing with its kind.

2 hours ago, KilliasK said:

She made a deal with the devil just like all the other playable characters. Dealing with the devil is a core theme in Don't Starve lore.

It looks more to me that her detention just ended than she had a deal with the devil.

17 hours ago, MWY said:

This sent shivers up my spine.  

Archived