[Poll] New content: insanity

New content: Insanity revamp  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the insanity mechanic to be remastered?

• Yes! I think that this particular aspect of the game is incomplete and it deserves some, if not prioritized, attention.
    • No, it's fine as it is.
  2. 2. What additions do you consider adequate for the Insanity?

• New shadow creatures.
    • Hallucinations scaring the player even more and make them lose even more sanity.
    • Sound cues at completely unexpected moments to send chills down my spine while being insane.
    • Random events at low sanity like the player having a heart/spasm attack lowering their sanity even more and taking some health.
    • Specific events for particular characters that can lower their sanity (such as seeing someone die, seeing entities that they have a phobia for, being in inadequate conditions, situations resembling/triggering their bad memories/traumatic experiences) and make some characters resistant to some of them (WX'S inability to empathize)
    • No, I said IT'S FINE.
  3. 3. What would you like the priority of the insanity update to be?

• I think it should be in one of the top, if not in the first priorities.
    • I would like it in but at this point I think that there are other more important things to work on.
    • *hyperventilating* NO I DON'T WANT IT REMASTERED!!!
  4. 4. What kind of shadow creatures would you like to see included in the remaster?

• Terrifying, horrid monsters that are hard to/impossible to kill that appear after long periods of time.
    • Passive, neutral, self-defensive creatures that drop more nightmare fuel
    • More ambiental, harmless creatures that just are meant to remind the player of their insanity coming.
    • Stalkers, (maybe dressed, tall humanoids) that follow the player in a way that they try to remain unnoticed (hide behind trees/rocks) and lean out a little from time to time, and that attack players that are off-guard after they stay near the structure they hid behind for long enough, by running out and attacking a single time and disappearing. Will attack more and faster each time. Can be neutralized if attacked during their charging if the player has reflexes.
    • Screamers, crooked parodies that jump out of nowhere, are hard to evade and scare the crap out of me (lose more sanity) and maybe deal some damage, during their scream, then disappear as fast as they appeared.
    • NONE!! I SAID IT'S FINE AS IT IS!!!!
    • I don't think that new creatures are necessary, I like other ideas though.

3 hours ago, BoxFace said:

I like the ideas suggested here, but my only problem with any of the suggestions is a screamer. Even though it most likely could be predicted, it could cause anxiety in people who have problems with it, like myself. I personally already need to use a mod to disable the insanity sounds, because it makes me get lightheaded due to anxiety. All the other ideas here though are good. :D

More reasons to be concerned about your character's sanity. I want it to be the most disturbing possible.

12 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

Pretty much everything is a priority, just smaller or bigger.

If you really are focused so much on little details like those, there you go.

But that won't change anything if you already voted. First question is a literal YES/NO. You WANT the new content regarding insanity in, you DON'T WANT the new content regarding insanity in. It is so god damn simple.

all this little rant and you conceded anyways xD

edit--- 

If this comment hurt your feeling I apologize for it.. I have a dry and poignant sense of humor but never with the intention to hurt people's feelings

I think that a neat concept for a shadow creature would be an annoyance that I designed a while ago.

-Humanoid looking, appears when player has 30% sanity or lower 

-Moves quickly and produces shadowy snickering instead of classic roars. Follows the player and hides behind objects

-It doesn't try to directly kill the player. Instead it makes their live harder 

-It can mess with cooking crockpot resulting in wet goop (hands come out of the ground and mess with crockpot, can be stopped)

-It can make aggresive creatures agroo on player even if they're outside their agroo range (whistles and points at player, cannot be stopped)

-Jumpscares the beefalo making it throw the player off  (cannot be stopped)

-When player actually becomes insane it'll disapoear and suddently its face will cover the entire screan. It would be creepy, there would be creepy sounds and maybe some 4th wall breaking messages that can only be read by screenshoting/slowing the recording. It'd last maybe 5-10 seconds.

33 minutes ago, Canis said:

This thread has turned into a dumpster fire of arguments and borderling flaming for the sake of flaming

there is a real argument I made... question 1 was bad formulated cuz it clashed with question 3 and Wilson changed it... period..

if you are about to call "flaming" pls be informed first instead of jumping into discussions u are unaware to flame me for no real reason or no reason related to this post anyways.. u see the ironie of the flamming part?

18 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

there is a real argument I made... question 1 was bad formulated cuz it clashed with question 3 and Wilson changed it... period..

if you are about to call "flaming" pls be informed first instead of jumping into discussions u are unaware to flame me for no real reason or no reason related to this post anyways.. u see the ironie of the flamming part?

Freaya please… can you just stop. Or are you just a person that loves to start arguments and that always has to have to last word?

Somehow 30+ people didn't have any problems with how op worded options in the poll

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Freaya please… can you just stop. Or are you just a person that loves to start arguments and that always has to have to last word?

Somehow 30+ people didn't have any problems with how op worded options in the poll

there are 30 people who voted no.. and I was one of them.. cuz I consider this issue interesting for a change for now not a priority... ergo why I asked if we could change the question 1 to make that clear for EVERYBODY

I don't like to start arguments for the sake of it.. I think I always explain with arguments... arguments are important 

yesterday u actually did the same jumping in a discussion you weren't following.. remember the "where is my stating the obvs meme?" comment? you actually recognized you didn't know what was happening before that... 

anyways if you have a problem with me personally discuss that with me in private.. no need to flood the thread with this

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

Jesus, thanks.

You have my respect for stopping this sick mess. Thank you.

Edit: Everyone, now that we have solved the problem, we can be civilized and constructively collaborate in a polite way.

Another one of these threads? Isn't going around in circles getting old for you now?

While I wouldn't mind harder waves the longer you're insane/some sort of boss spawning after a long time just to shut up the MLG tryhards, I swear if we get anything along the lines of a screamer I will drag you all into the abyss myself.

...okay perhaps that's a bit harsh but I detest cheap jumpscares. And anything that makes it even harder to see for that matter. I'm already slowly going blind let me at least enjoy the game somewhat by not making it worse.

This is my idea for making insanity actually dangerous and challenging:

Once you get to zero sanity, a secret countdown starts at about a minute, giving you a last chance to get your sanity up. Once that minute is up, every living creature around you will temporarily disappear (not dropping souls or items) and will basically be replaced by a shadow version of themselves, and they will all attack you. They are weak, but like monkeys, can swarm you and kill you easily. Once you get your sanity up, they will all disappear and the animals will return just like normal.

..... there's a lot of anger in this post.

LOL. I voted for almost everything (where you can multi-choise). I just want most of those stuff to be in.

I do agree we need the sanity/insanity to be expanded/reworked.

At first I found it really scary and thought I would die if I had low sanity. But after time I got used to it and it was not scary anymore...

Then I got better at DS/DST and it was not scary at all and more of an annoyance. I understood there are no random stuff, nothing you can't counter, so yea... and got to know everything it can do to me.

Now it's just a way to get nightmare fuel - you go Wigfrid, 1 helm and 1 spear (really cheap to make) and you can farm fuel without a problem.

I get a sensation that my questions/answers were built so well that I changed people's mind if they either wanted the insanity revamp or not, because I see the "NO" answer percentage gradually decrease as the poll goes, because people start changing their mind as they continue...

Were my ideas really this good this time?

On 20/04/2019 at 5:37 AM, Szczuku said:

I think that a neat concept for a shadow creature would be an annoyance that I designed a while ago.

-Humanoid looking, appears when player has 30% sanity or lower 

-Moves quickly and produces shadowy snickering instead of classic roars. Follows the player and hides behind objects

-It doesn't try to directly kill the player. Instead it makes their live harder 

-It can mess with cooking crockpot resulting in wet goop (hands come out of the ground and mess with crockpot, can be stopped)

-It can make aggresive creatures agroo on player even if they're outside their agroo range (whistles and points at player, cannot be stopped)

-Jumpscares the beefalo making it throw the player off  (cannot be stopped)

-When player actually becomes insane it'll disapoear and suddently its face will cover the entire screan. It would be creepy, there would be creepy sounds and maybe some 4th wall breaking messages that can only be read by screenshoting/slowing the recording. It'd last maybe 5-10 seconds.

lol dude wtf. Although I like it, the name of this game isnt Slender Man.

Honestly, I think too many people view sanity through a black and white lens.

Low sanity should be bad. High sanity should be good. Being insane is too meta, we should punish players for being insane all the time. Shadowy monsters attack the player when they're insane? Let's add more shadowy monsters to attack the player to make their life more difficult! It's a bit of an oversimplification, but it's the gist of what I'm getting.

While I agree the sanity mechanic is a bit mundane in its current state, it's not necessary to be adding more shadow creatures to the game.

Many players claim that insanity is a good thing, as it allows you to farm nightmare fuel. But really, what you want is to have sanity manipulation; the ability to control your sanity and slip in and out of insanity thresholds at will. You wouldn't want to be insane while fighting a boss such as Bee Queen, as the shadow creatures would then become a distraction. You wouldn't want to be insane while fighting Fuelweaver, or you'll get mind controlled. That's why the nightmare amulet and bone helmet are such valuable items. They allow you to easily feign insanity, and just as easily slip out of it. Maxwell is also an excellent character for this reason. His passive sanity regen allows him to stay topped off, but he can choose to go insane whenever he wants with his sanity puppets' max sanity penalties.

I think any new changes to how sanity works should put an emphasis on sanity manipulation. There should be incentives to being both sane and insane. We shouldn't want to avoid insanity because it punishes it us, rather, we should want to avoid insanity because we'll be missing out on the benefits of being sane, and vice versa. The sanity obelisks in the Atrium are a good simple example. You need to be able to become both sane and insane to pass through all the different sanity obelisks to loot the chests and reach Fuelweaver.

There should be more world interaction with sanity other than just shadow creatures attacking you when you're insane. We could fiddle around with loot mechanics. Bunnymen could be a potential candidate. They could deal bonus damage to insane players (when they're in their Beardlord form; actually, Beardlords are stronger in DS, but not in DST, probably because of Bunnymen armies/farms), but have their Beardlord loot buffed, so players are incentivized to risk the danger of killing Beardlords for the potential loot.

As a final remark, there shouldn't be anything that's unintuitive, annoying, or otherwise frustrating for the player to deal with such as randomly being paralyzed from paranoia, freezing from going insane, or not being able to see shadow creatures when you're insane in the middle of winter because they camouflage with the background and snow tiles, thus forcing you to install a client mod that disables the insanity filter.

It's too much of a joke, Shadow Creatures should get Resistance against damage the longer their target is insane, this way you can still grind fuel when you have a purple amulet, but not when you are insane 24/7. Insanity should not be beneficial in any way shape or form. Adding more events that discomfort the player like heart attacks (loss of HP), random loss of consciousness (falling asleep without stat regen) or alike would also be something that would make insanity a threat instead of a shadey filter, annoying noises and some shadow dudes doing nothing.
Sanity should be treated seriously, and Klei should really just do something about it sooner or later.

what if we took a different approach, the fake hound waves are a good start, but what if we expanded on that concept, false objects, enemies, even stats, or the time of day could be obscured if one is insane for too long, escalating over time until you cannot even trust your own inventory, said escalation should only fade after reaching a high enough sanity threshold, such as 70-90%, in order to prevent dipping in and out of insanity to avoid such effects with ease. another way would be to add character specific, possibly invincible shadow creatures that would do more then just attempt to attack us outright, along with tying into the characters backstory. such as for wortox, a vaguely krampus shaped shadow that would try to disrupt the usage of souls for teleporting/healing, or for winona, a pair of gloved hands emerging from a portal, attempting to take a item or 2 within its radius that winona put down or had otherwise attempted to collect before escaping, discouraging insanity for long periods of time.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:37 AM, Wilson_pl said:

I get a sensation that my questions/answers were built so well that I changed people's mind if they either wanted the insanity revamp or not, because I see the "NO" answer percentage gradually decrease as the poll goes, because people start changing their mind as they continue...

Were my ideas really this good this time?

Or cuz question 1 says not prioritized :p

1 minute ago, Wilson_pl said:

I've noticed that happening before I did that, so maybe the other idea.

One a more serious note, I think that question 4 from the first option (imposible to kill) then goes to more like passive creatures.. instead of other shadows, which is what I want--

Like more shadow creatures...but with kitting patterns... "impossible" to kill sounds a bit extreme in my opinion.

Why not just do what Darkest Dungeon does and if your sanity/stress gets too low, you just have a high chance of dying instantly! I don't see any problems with that.

But on a serious note all I think sanity needs is some more razzmatazz. Currently all your character does when insane is just bob their head back and forth. It needs more "oh god im going insane the voices are calling to me please i need an adult im scared". Throw in some rapturous dialogue depending on who you're playing! Make the characters look more petrified! Anything other then "ow i have a headache". 

On 4/19/2019 at 4:42 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

that's not true.. in the first question you allude to "prioritized attention"... that already is a priority claim.. which is then repeated in question 3

You're right and I noticed this too. I think if you phrased it differently "Question 1 doesn't have a simple yes answer, it implies that the next thing they should work on is insanity. This might throw some people off or have them vote no, who would like insanity reworked or stuff added to it but don't consider it a priority"

That's dependent on whether or not you are concerned with the results of your responses or if you just wanna plainly state your opinion(which kind of alienates people)

Archived