On Set Pieces

On Set Pieces  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these set pieces have you seen most often?

• The Reed Field Trap
    • The Contagious Rot Trap
    • The Disused Beefalo Pen Trap
    • The Winter/Summer Icebox camp traps
    • a fairy ring (any color)
    • any of the Hound Traps
    • the Pig in a Basalt and Obelisk Pen
    • the Fire/Ice Staff Traps
    • the Sleeping Spider Warrior on carpet trap
    • The Spider Queen's Gathering (10 tier 3 nests)
    • a Houndfort/Tallfort
    • any of the cave camps
    • Pig Guard fields
    • a cluster of Goose/Goose nests
    • the developer graveyard
    • skeletons with very valuable loot (Dark Sword, Walking Cane, winter gear, etc)
    • skeletons with meh loot (grass, twigs, etc.)
  2. 2. What do you think should be done with set pieces?

• Overhaul them, there's something lacking with them.
    • Keep them as is, they're alright in their current state.
    • Remove them, I see no purpose in them!

6 hours ago, Kaisen_ said:

Pretty sure they removed the ice / summer traps in DST. Most of the time I just see boons with twigs or grass, rarely staff traps.

This might be the case today(?) but I distinctly remember them existing in past versions of DST. The absolute paranoia, agony, and finally morbid acceptance witnessed in the game chat when someone opens that odd ice box in the desert is a truly sight to behold.

1 minute ago, FloomRide said:
6 hours ago, Kaisen_ said:

Pretty sure they removed the ice / summer traps in DST. Most of the time I just see boons with twigs or grass, rarely staff traps.

This might be the case today(?) but I distinctly remember them existing in past versions of DST. The absolute paranoia, agony, and finally morbid acceptance witnessed in the game chat when someone opens that odd ice box in the desert is a truly sight to behold.

Yes, they were in DST earlier, but were removed a year or two ago (?), I think because it was considered unfair against other players? 

Anyways, I once was on a public server, settled down at pk with a sympathic player on day 4 when winter suddenly started. We just spent all our rocks on the alchemy and a firepit, we had no warm clothing (logically), so it was a really harsh time to survive. We did it in the end somehow, but most of the players died and/or left. I enjoyed it a lot :D tho I can understand why some people don't like it.

I also have a summer trap in my solo world. An old memory from the past...

8 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Another question: How do you guys think set pieces could be improved if you were to overhaul them? Or, why would you rather leave them be or even remove them?

i want new and more common ones that have some interesting meanings like the birdcages in adventure mode the unexplained and symbolic

4 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Another question: How do you guys think set pieces could be improved if you were to overhaul them? Or, why would you rather leave them be or even remove them?

Add the new content to it (when there'll be any to add), make some even more dangerous/harder to evade. 

Or even add some new setpieces.

They definitely took out the summer/winter traps, and I think it was only in like fall? of 2016.  I did run into them, though--one time, a winter one didn't activate so I had a free fridge from Day One (YAY!) and another time, two of us were out hunting a koalephant on a winter night, and suddenly...

"...why is everything red?"

"Whoah, this is spooky-lookin'!"

ME:  (throwing down an endo fire and taking my winter hat off, 'cos I'd already seen this in RoG Adventure Mode.)

THIRD PLAYER:  I'm sorry guys, I opened a chest and...I didn't know this would happen!

So we ended up killing a winter koalephant in the summer.  The end.  XD

And the funny thing is, I think that was like THE VERY DAY before they took those traps out of DST entirely.  Like, we accidentally turned it from winter to summer that night and the next morning those setpieces no longer existed.  Ha!

As for setpieces you forgot:  Definitely the Walking Forest--although amusingly, the last time I ran into that one was in a DESERT world.  And I don't think pig guards or alread-made bases exist in DST?  At least, I remember using a mod to put those and the season traps back IN.  (shrug)

...Notorious

Huh.  Now I'm trying to remember if I saw a miner guy when I ran into the walking trees in the desert...

Oh, the last time I ran into a trap setpiece it was STUPID.  A random noob was with me and just like, INSTA-grabbed the staff before I could open my chat line to even _start_ warning him, then...the hounds all targeted ME!

WHAT?!

Seriously, is that supposed to happen?  I always thought they'd chase whoever _had_ the staff!  But no, Random Idiot caused the problem and COMPLETELY dodged the consequences.  Little @#$@^&*(...

For the record, if you walk up and attack a dog _first_, only that one will wake up and you can safely take them out one at a time, without getting swarmed as usual!  THEN peacefully grab the ice or fire staff.  Which is what I was about to tell Random Idiot, before they went "DUHH, SHINY!"  Traps are _made_ for exactly people like that, aren't they...

...Notorious

Like the random floating shipwreck bits off the coast in Shipwrecked-compatible but currently on the mainland Don't Starve, complete with annoying parrot?  Yeah, that'd be cool.  Especially if they were bigger, more elaborate and on land, so you didn't need a specific item to interact with them.  : P

I love new biomes!  I love all the person-vs.-environment stuff in Don't Starve in general.  I use mods for the PURPOSE of interacting with new biomes, even.  So I'm excited to see new actually canon ones just in general.  :)

Setpieces as a whole...in addition to adding flavour, hinting at lore, providing a set challenge or just decorating up the place, can also serve as another purpose (if not destroyed/removed) : Landmarks.  It can make it easier for you to tell your friends where the base is, or maybe just as an inspiration for a name!  You know, like how real life things are often named after a feature of nature that they may or may not be near?  Riverwoods, Oak Street, Hill/Crest/Peak something is really common where I live, because mountains...

In my case, a setpiece helped me name what became my favourite, longest-running base ever:  Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave!  Why?  Because (a) well, you're ALWAYS potentially near death in Don't Starve in general, and (b) it was like two screens away from the Dev Graveyard.  It added a touch of atmosphere and made the location easier to remember.  :)

...Notorious

Archived