Releaseready?

In the coming months Oni is planned to leave early release.

I wonder a bit about that i have trouble considering a game nearly finished when:

Duplicants dig or build themselfs to death and you have to watch their every step.

Duplicants climb a mile down and up to get something to just drop it before they are at the top again, and then climb again down to get it again (and eternally so on).

Duplicants suffocating because they cannot decide to which oxygen source the want to run and run back and forward because they just cannot decide.

Klei you can do better!

7 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

In the coming months Oni is planned to leave early release.

I wonder a bit about that i have trouble considering a game nearly finished when:

Duplicants dig or build themselfs to death and you have to watch their every step.

Duplicants climb a mile down and up to get something to just drop it before they are at the top again, and then climb again down to get it again (and eternally so on).

Duplicants suffocating because they cannot decide to which oxygen source the want to run and run back and forward because they just cannot decide.

Klei you can do better!

Sorry, aside from the last one, I don't think these are bugs, but features. It makes building things much more challenging when Dupes can 'oops'. It gives the game a bit of it's charm. Also, creating an AI for dupes that can intelligently and thoroughly avoid circumstances like this would not only be very dev time intensive, it would also be resource intensive during play, thus resulting in more lag as dupes need to figure out what to do.

Both digging/building themselves into a corner and the dropping can be avoided with smart play ( ie. ensure what they're doing won't result in digging/building themselves in a corner, and using ladders that aren't 20 miles long )

The last problem is one that is one that would be nice to have removed, but it happens only very rarely. Bigger issues like late game lagging and framerate drops are much more pressing to me.

2 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

This used to happen alot, now it only happens in very rare cases (e.g. building a line of tiles in the lower part of a 2-tile high corridor.). It is a nuissance but it definitely does not force you to "watch their every step". If you want to be taken seriously, dont exaggerate.

Again a rare case and a nuisance. Why does this have to do anything with "releaseready"?

Never had this happen in 1500+ cycles of my last base. But then again, i use electrolizers (or cleaned polluted oxygen).

Klei you can do better!

Ofc they can, but the bugs you listed are not gamebreaking. They are unexpected and unintuitive but you can recover from them and they might not even happen in most games.

There are 2 major updates before launch. The preveiw for one hits this thursday. It`s possible they are working on the release branch separately for a while already (how long would it take to create 3 entirely new biomes with plants and critters). Thare is still time to fix the obviously broken stuff.

22 minutes ago, blash365 said:

This used to happen alot, now it only happens in very rare cases

i am playing the game i had to reload 4 times today because a dupe fell deep. Now normally you would wonder most maps have little caves so thats why it does not happen, my map has many caves.

Again a rare case and a nuisance.

Again not rare: everytime a dupe is out of oxygen it will drop what he holds dig a hole with carbon dioxide on the bottom put something valuable there it happend EVERYTIME.

Never had this happen in 1500+ cycles of my last base

True that this is not that frequent but it can happen.

Ofc they can, but the bugs you listed are not gamebreaking.

I consider something which kills a dupe gamebreaking. I have the feeling you try for some reason to play down that issues.

14 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Thare is still time to fix the obviously broken stuff.

I am not sure, i know they worked on dupes to death some time ago but not fix it totally. Maybe blash and suicide commando convinced them already this are features. All bugs are fixed everything you encounter is a feature.

1 minute ago, Rainbowdesign said:

i am playing the game i had to reload 4 times today because a dupe fell deep. Now normally you would wonder most maps have little caves so thats why it does not happen, my map has many caves.

In the last dev live stream, the devs tried to do exactly this several times and were not able to do it. It is not that easy to pull off.

I am sure that if they had a working strategy to drop dupes into nothingness, they would fix it (if applicable).

Again not everytime a dupe is out of oxygen it will drop what he holds dig a hole with carbon dioxide on the bottom put something valuable there it happend EVERYTIME.

ah, that's why. you did not mention oxygen in your OP. I am using exosuits for all dupes, everywhere. Nothing gets dropped. ez pz.

I consider something which kills a dupe gamebreaking. I have the feeling you try for some reason to play down that issues.

Not a single one of your bugs kills a dupe.

Bug #1 entomes a dupe and allows you to excavate him in due time. Yes, the dupe can die, but unless your workers are very stubborn, he wont. (If he falls down a cave, just build a ladder. even if he falls into lava (!), you can still build a ladder)

Bug #2 slows down your dupes carrying stuff. Does it kill dupes? Maybe after 20 cycles, because nothing in your base moves, but that is not because of the bug, but because of the normal constraints of the game (oxygen, food).

Bug #3 lowers your oxygen production. It doesnt suddently kill a dupe either. You can do all sorts of things to tackle the issue. It goes without saying that it feel unintuitive. But maybe you can fix it on your end by assigning different priorities to your algae terrariums.

I am not sure, i know they worked on dupes to death some time ago but not fix it totally. Maybe blash and suicide commando convinced them already this are features. All bugs are fixed everything you encounter is a feature.

You are overexaggerating again. Good luck getting your point across.

16 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Bug #1 entomes a dupe and allows you to excavate him in due time. Yes, the dupe can die, but unless your workers are very stubborn, he wont. (If he falls down a cave, just build a ladder. even if he falls into lava (!), you can still build a ladder)

I am playing a game called oxygen not included not flea circus i dont want to watch all dupes all the time so they dont make something wrong having to watch them every step is just very annoying, and its fine for a beta not for release.

2 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

I am playing a game called oxygen not included not flea circus i dont want to watch all dupes all the time so they dont make something wrong having to watch them every step is just very annoying, and its fine for a beta not for release.

That's why there is a message, which notifies you of:

• entombed dupes
  • dupes without oxygen
  • dupes without food
  • and even idle dupes

It might not be a flea circus, but a general knowledge of language will surely be helpful to get along with the game. ;)

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Infinity.png.8bd5fd2f571605fb27ecf4beb02

I was surprised when the release was announced this soon but maybe that means there is an hotfix already for all these major exploits and dupe AI should also be addressed. We'll see next week.

43 minutes ago, blash365 said:

That's why there is a message, which notifies you of:

You know what. i really did answer you out of politeness last time now i will not answer you.

Also this is just a general thing the Dupe AI is serverly messed up and the 3 examples i started the posting with there are many more ai related problems and i am pretty sure klei has many bug reports for them.

44 minutes ago, Mariilyn said:

I was surprised when the release was announced this soon

I was surprised too. Either they are very much in a hurry or they have fixed but not released many bugs.

12 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Also this is just a general thing the Dupe AI is serverly messed up and the 3 examples i started the posting with there are many more ai related problems and i am pretty sure klei has many bug reports for them.

I didnt argue that they were not bugs or shouldnt get fixed.

I said that they are not gamebreaking. because... well .. they are not.

Dont try to crave attention with buzzwords like that and write a proper feedback as did everybody in the other reports you mentioned.

59 minutes ago, Mariilyn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was surprised when the release was announced this soon but maybe that means there is an hotfix already for all these major exploits and dupe AI should also be addressed. We'll see next week.

I think jarret commented on it briefly on stream. My memory is foggy but i think it was around the lines of: "we are definitely aware of the fixed output temperature bug and the likes, but i am not sure if we have a clean solution for all of them."

If someone has a better recollection of what has been said on stream, feel free to correct me.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

There are 2 major updates before launch. The preveiw for one hits this thursday.

There's just one.  QOL 3 will be the last update before launch.  The "one last update" they're talking about is the actual launch itself.  Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s possible they are working on the release branch separately for a while already (how long would it take to create 3 entirely new biomes with plants and critters). Thare is still time to fix the obviously broken stuff.

They said during last Thursday's stream that they've been working internally for six months now on the new stuff for launch.

2 minutes ago, goboking said:

There's just one.  QOL 3 will be the last update before launch.  The "one last update" they're talking about is the actual launch itself.  Or at least that's how I interpreted it.

Then which update are the three new biomes in then?

Doesn't fit QoL, and would be terrible to not test before release.

1 minute ago, Yunru said:

Then which update are the three new biomes in then?

Doesn't fit QoL, and would be terrible to not test before release.

As I said, they claim to have been working on the new biomes and other goodies for six months.  Presumably they have an actual QA team to help them test this stuff internally.

Just now, goboking said:

QA was focused on Hot Lava?  Iunno.

No. I mean literally. If they had a QA team then why haven't we seen any evidence of that in any ONI release... at all.

So no, I highly doubt they have a QA team.

Indeed, it's much more likely that "two major updates before release" means exactly that.

My guess:

Rest of content, followed by QoL 3.

After all, while full release is a big milestone, RC to release isn't a major update.

It`s entirely possible that the new content uses no new systems. All the critter stuff is done, adding extra resources won`t cause major bugs, new buildings would use the same input/output systems already tested so any bugs heppening might be graphical glitches or already existing bugs.

This would also mean that all major bugs would have to be fixed in the next upgrade or after release.

Archived