Tips and Tricks for Hamlet

Codina

I want to share my playstyle and knowledge with everyone. Things I have accumulated while watching youtube videos and things I have discovered.

Feel free to add tips and correct me. 

[Hamlet]

[Well known]
- Prefer mining Gnat mount over stone slabs because Gant mount gives rocks, flint, and iron.
 -Boomerang kingfisher or pigeon to get azure feather 
-Dung beetle spawns from dung pile. Farm dung beetle they drop 100% monster meat.
-Roc poops dung beetle pile
-Roc stops chasing player when under Deep Rainforest, player enter Hamlet (pig city) or enter structure e.g Cave Cleft. 
-Prefer cooked asparagus because as an ingredient it has a high chance to be asparagus soup
-Give Pangolden 3 gold dust drop 1 gold. Pangolden drinks from sparkling pool 8 times drop 1 gold. (wiki)
-Drop vegetable or flower pettles on Hamlet ground for pigs to eat and poop. It give oincs.
-Peagawk can be chase to the world border to get 7 feathers and kill for 1 feather. 
-Guards can be lure trapped by dropping 1 oinc and surround it with walls. If aggravated they will still be lured but will attack when gets close. A way to prevent guards from smothering firepit in Hamlet base.  
-Prefer Ice staff or sleep dart to immobilize birds. Punch bird to stun (only in Don't Starve) and pick up as an item. Rather than a bird trap.
-Moleworm farm in cave cleft as they have nowhere to go.  

(New) Wx can't be poisoned. Eat as much tuber and poison frog leg you pleaseeee. Although it shows the poison icon on health bar. It does not give the debuff of reducing physical damage, walking speed, sanity drain, and damage over time.

[Sorta well known]
-Use Hippopotamoose to chop down trees, get tuffs (berry bush*), and destroy nearby Hamlet walls for rocks. Wear armor and be careful. Prefer basing near them.
-Gnat regenerates their hill when the initial hill is destroyed. Can be farmed and transported by luring into another light source.  
-Prefer Cowl over pith hat. Cowl gives night vision and negates mist.
-Gnat dies in poison gas biome 
-Spidermonkey spawns from the cocooned tree. Spidermonkey turns nearby rainforest tree to cocooned tree when there's lack of cocooned tree or they just want to reproduce. (wiki) 
-Piko is spawned from natural generated tea tree (infested tea tree). They can respawn from a stump even when the tree is chopped down (infested tree stump). Piko can not infest a player grown tree. Take 4 days to respawn. (wiki) 
-Prefer mining nearby unimportant pillar to open suspicious crack over gun powder. A bug?   

[Not well known]
-Foliage as crockpot filler (only in Hamlet because of Steammmmm Hams recipe)
-As Wormwood prefer basing near wishing well in ordinary Ancient Pig Tomb. 
-Prefer grass trap over net to get light blub. Grass trap capture rapid beetle as an item. Murder will give 100% fresh light blub. Store rapid beetle they don't need to be fed. 
-Bandit can be structure blocked e.g stone walls making him vulnerable. He will vanish when he gets to a certain distance.  (not tested)
-Piko or Orange Piko will forever try to steal grass backpack making it be vulnerable. A bug? (tested) 

(New) When you give trinkets from the Royal Palace (Post Card of the Royal Palace or Queen Malfalfa Statue) to pigs from Swinesbury City. They will give the following: Kabobs, Pumpkin Cookie, Taffy, Oinc, Butterfly Muffin, and Powdercake. (wiki) It seems as though the pigs are separated from the queen island and is gland to recieve postcards card from her. 
(New) Self cast with telelocator staff to randomly teleport you TO ANOTHER ISLAND!! You don't even need to go splunking. It even teleported me to the end's well's island. For Wx-7x he gets a free charge from the lighting when he teleport other mob or himself. Really good for an easy heal, light, and speed.  

(New) When you teleport a mob inside in cave or ruin. It teleports the mob and you outside. (bug?)  

(New) Weather pain, Big Foot and Beb stomp can uproot the Magic Flower back to the waterdrop item!!! Magic water is consider vegetable? Because a pig just ate it and pooped. Don't drop it near hungry pigs! D:

Apologies for the slight Necro, but it feels more appropriate than creating a whole new topic. Anyways, here's some that I gathered

-Shears can be used to open vines in 2 uses, though it is a bit more expensive than machetes.

-Stalking sticks are both 5% more effective than walking canes can be repaired up to full durability with one use of the sewing kit

-Tea tree seed pods function as a minor antihistamine. Good if you don't have any nettles set up.

-Stealing rapidly gives Naughtiness. I managed to get a Krampus sack in about 3-4 in-game days by repeatedly robbing a grocer with a pan flute, killing the Krampi that spawned, breaking down the grocer, and then building a new one and repeating.

-Don't be afraid to break down pig cities. Naturally generated houses don't pay taxes, and breaking down both cities can get you a massive amount of cut stone, planks, and pig skin. You can also kill the non-tax paying residents for meat and more pig skin.

-There are 4 different royal artifacts you can get, but you only need 3 to get all the royal items from the castle.

-The jeweled truffle can be found in the pig ruins leading to the second island

-the blue sow can be found in the ruins leading to pugalisk island

-The Royal scepter can be found on BFB island (sometimes 2 can spawn) 

-the Royal crown can be found by killing the Queen Womant, and can be worn for +4.4 sanity/minute without durability.

-Building large amounts of shops you need a lot of items for can be beneficial for minimizing RNG. I recommend 6 oddety shops and magic shops, 3 weapon shops, and then you can go wild from there.

-You can build an array of guard towers to help deal with Bat waves. I've found 8 to be effective, though I imagine more would allow you to deal with them without getting yourself dirty.

Here are my Wx main tips (somewhat applicable to other characters)

-rush the pugalisk and pig queen ruins for the relics, and then get the hammer, and key to the city to make a bunch of oddity shops for gears if you do it fast enough you can get somewhat upgraded before humid season starts.

-thunder birds can restore all of your health easily, and also tons of overcharge so its a good idea to pen them in a corner near your base

-Gnats die when you enter the poison jungle

-The osculating fan will dry you off, and also drys you faster than you get wet from the fog or rain in humid season

-When running on the road turf with overcharge or coffee you can hit the bandit when he flees

-Thunderbirds strike 10 times instead of 3 in aporkalypse

-Get a stalking stick as soon as possible to hit sonic speed

2 hours ago, Computer-7 said:

-The osculating fan will dry you off, and also drys you faster than you get wet from the fog or rain in humid season

It also removes Hay Fever as long as you stand near it while it's on.
On the chance you didn't know.
;)

Guess I'll drop some hot Wilbur-specific tips:

-Hamlet is plentiful in manure, which you can throw at flocks of pigeons to collect heaps of morsels, feathers, and oincs via said feathers.

-Manure will aggro guards on to you if you attack any pigs, so be careful aiming it. If you happen to collect a few stacks of it, you can also semi-stunlock and kill mobs from afar if you don't feel like getting your hands dirty. Manure deals 10 damage, so you can kill a Hippopotamoose with 50 manure.

-Exploring the jungle is easy, as you can outrun Rabid Beetles and completely run past Hanging Vines. Rushing the Aporkalypse Ruins by sprinting through the poison jungle is also completely doable. Hopefully the Aporkalypse gets some actual cool and rare drops in the future so that rushing the calendar has more purpose than just farming Purple Gems and Nightmare Fuel early.

There's a way easier way to kill the Bandit Pig. Hit him the first time with a torch and he will start running around aimlessly. instead of running away from you. Secon hit forward use your regular weapon. The map can't burn even though the hat can, but half of the time he will stop burning right before you kill him anyway

4 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

one problem: how the getting teeth from?

Oddity Emporium. And I'm sure they'll add more ways to get them, considering they're what you sell to the hunter

And just to add one more that I forgot, Breaking down the root chest gives the bramble bulb and flytrap stalk back, along with 2/3 boards. Meaning that you can carry a few boards with you to craft the root chest anywhere at a net loss of 1 board.

35 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

klei if you patch this I will be sad.

Also I love how this post which never got a single reply in a month got 14 in a day

even more awesome would be the ability to have World Root Trunks, connect inventory thru multiple Worlds.

this needs to be tested right now with Caves, Ruins and Overworld connection thru Root Trunk.

6 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

If the Root Trunk can connect the surface world to the Ruins in RoG, then it will be the absolute best way of transporting all of that tasty Ruins loot to the surface.

I mass-produce Brains of Thought so that I don't have to haul my ass down there just to craft stuff.

1 hour ago, Charsis said:

If you want a lot of oinc after jump to RoG or DS world you can trade in a lot of meat for stacks of gold. Sell gold to mayor in Hamlet at first village for 5 oinc a piece. Every stack of gold is 100 oincs!

quite the expensive trade for just 100 oincs, buying gold in the mineral exchange is 10 oincs per gold.

Dart frog legs can be dried into small jerky, effectivly drying the poison out of it

Grass tufts will turn into tall grass when planted on the yellow hamlet turf (whatever it's called). if you use shears on them, they harvest instantly and drop 2 grass instead of 1.

once a large amount of cut stone and pig skin is collected, an effective way to earn money is by building a bank, sleeping the banker with a pan flute (which is renewable in ham for 50 oincs), and stealing the oincs/gold. Each use of the flute gives 1 centapiece oinc, 1 tenpiece oinc, and 1 gold, which covers the gold loss of hammering the bank. You can also hammer the desk while the banker's asleep for boards, and stealing gives naughtiness, meaning that when you do this method, you're farming:

-Oincs

-Boards

-Krampus

-charcoal

-Monster Meat

-Krampus sack

-whatever's on the shelves, if you also choose to steal from those

-charcoal

-Niter

-stone

it is really damn efficient. and if you only care about oincs, you get 1050 oincs per pan flute, when counting the cost of the mandrake.

Archived