Don't Starve: Hamlet Roadmap

Jason

Just now, Crimson Chin said:

That's pretty sad that you expected that. I had enough faith in Klei to believe that they would be able to release updates to an EA DLC without entirely breaking the completely unrelated base game. 

I don't think is fair to say they are breaking the entire base game... 

the way hamlet and SW works is pretty much like capsules.. each dlc contains the previous ones and all the code is related to each other

I understand your point but that doesn't change the way the game is coded... 

again I'm not condoning Klei releasing updates that break things in RoG or SW but so long Hamlet is in development we are gonna see some more of that... I already have the experience with SW development so I'm a bit prepared that might happen... probably sad in your eyes.. but in mine is pretty realistic based on my experience

3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I don't think is fair to say they are breaking the entire base game... 

the way hamlet and SW works is pretty much like capsules.. each dlc contains the previous ones and all the code is related to each other

I understand your point but that doesn't change the way the game is coded... 

again I'm not condoning Klei releasing updates that break things in RoG or SW but so long Hamlet is in development we are gonna see some more of that... I already have the experience with SW development so I'm a bit prepared that might happen... probably sad in your eyes.. but in mine is pretty realistic based on my experience

I still believe its sad that you expect this kind of thing. This should be unacceptable. Its not fair for people who didn't sign up for any of the EA stuff to have to pay the price. I also don't think its okay to release updates not tested like the QOL update was, ESPECIALLY since it wasn't part of the Hamlet beta. I don't see how its realistic to expect an update to a DLC you might not even own to mess with the base game. This is why things should be thoroughly tested. In my eyes, EA is for players to catch bugs the devs might have missed, NOT testing absolutely everything for them. At the very least test basic features included in the update......This just looks really bad for Klei and would have especially looked bad to any new players who bought the base game when the QOL update released. They wouldn't have even been able to play! 

• Like 3

On 4/17/2019 at 3:13 AM, oCrapaCreeper said:

Yeah, normally I'm pretty patient with this, but even just a vague update on what's going on would help a lot. Hamlet is supposedly to release this month and we haven't even seen the first phase from March's update make it to live. It is a little worrying.

Yeah I'm not the only one who thinks this dlc is like so unfinished to hell.

I could never get used to the turf art style which always bugged me and I thought it was just a beta art style but it unironically worries me that it's going to be part of the full release of this DLC.

I honestly hope there is a better future for this DLC because this seems like its barely getting support it needs.

On 4/18/2019 at 5:13 PM, oCrapaCreeper said:

Just because it happened before doesn't mean it's okay to release something unfinished on a branch of the game that is supposed to be stable.

all what you say its true

this DLC is like actual poo poo doo doo unstable like my Tesla coil that just goes out in berserk for no reason 

I even like SW more than Hamlet probably because its legit so stable that its actually playable and the art style doesn't look like in a alpha stage.

The characters are fine except Wormwood seems pretty out of place with the new design he got. I think his old design was way better overall compared to his new and fresh flower look which is pretty cool but I still think his old design was better.

On 4/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

I said I was expecting it...

This is really sad to hear too because when a lot of the audience knows that they are expecting it to be really bad, it really becomes downhill

I really hate when most people actually expect some bad news for the game and once the update releases it becomes true.

this has happen to ARK, Quake Champions, and PUBG in their early access stages and to full release they go so downhill (you can say quake champions is a Early access game but it pretty much feels like a full finished game being hidden with the "EA" tag which basically made its whole playerbase mad)

e47ce50c1dd2162f528f51692c158c37.gif

So why am I basically ranting on a EA DLC when its not even out

You guys are also probably going to check on my profile and see that I only have 160+ hours in Don't starve on steam and say that I probably don't even know what I'm saying but I play this game on my laptop on the go when I go to fast food,restaurants, work, and etc.

I hope it really does become playable after full release. If It doesn't this DLC will usually be remembered as the saying "Don't judge the book by it's cover".

I will replay Hamlet once it comes out of full release or the next beta update.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

this DLC is like actual poo poo doo doo unstable like my Tesla coil that just goes out in berserk for no reason 

It's pretty stable right now on the interiors beta (which has all the new stuff right now). But that's why the next update is only in beta testing, so it will be even more stable when the DLC offically releases next month.

Overall I think Hamlet is a great DLC and bring major changes across the entire game. Houses and shops in RoG/Shipwrecked, merged crafting, and a nice twist on everything. Developments been slow but it has turned out nicely.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I do hope Hamlet gets some big content on release, or at least a Home Sea Home style update on down the line, because right now, at least to me, it feels sort of empty and not like a place you'd want to base or do much in. The other islands and the exploration in general are pretty same-y (perhaps SW has me spoiled), and my current experience with merged Hamlet worlds has been:

-Start in RoG or SW

-After year 1, go to Hamlet with Coffee, food, and materials for Magnifying Glasses

-Use Magnifying Glasses to get royal relics immediately

-Get Key, Hammer, Silly String, hammer down both cities

-Leave and never return except for iron

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

I do hope Hamlet gets some big content on release, or at least a Home Sea Home style update on down the line, because right now, at least to me, it feels sort of empty and not like a place you'd want to base or do much in. The other islands and the exploration in general are pretty same-y (perhaps SW has me spoiled), and my current experience with merged Hamlet worlds has been:

-Start in RoG or SW

-After year 1, go to Hamlet with Coffee, food, and materials for Magnifying Glasses

-Use Magnifying Glasses to get royal relics immediately

-Get Key, Hammer, Silly String, hammer down both cities

-Leave and never return except for iron

yeap... Hamlet feels a bit empty...

and from what it's worth.. to all SW haters.. I think SW has more features than Hamlet.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

yeap... Hamlet feels a bit empty...

and from what it's worth.. to all SW haters.. I think SW has more features than Hamlet.. 

I think SW has much more rewarding challenges than Hamlet. The elephant Cacti and coffe changes everything and thats why u should rush to the volcano. In hamlet the bosses drops are totally meh, seasons too short  and nettles are super boring to get though...

I am expecting a lot of new features and some serious balances

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hamlet could use some more content on its own. SW has more content overall, but I think the impact Hamlet has on the entire game is much bigger than Shipwrecked. The insanity of end-game mega bases just increased several fold with The Key to the City and merged crafting. This DLC definitely caters to people who survive for a long time and want to have an end-goal objective with building complex cities. 

Remember when they first announced Shipwrecked years ago, they said it would be a standalone game that would not interact with regular DS or RoG at all? Then we made our voice heard and they allowed us to world hop with items and stuff under one roof. That was probably the best choice they ever made for this game, since this allowed us to have ALL the DLC in one effective world. The game has definitely come a long way since RoG wasn't even made.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Hamlet could use some more content on its own. SW has more content overall, but I think the impact Hamlet has on the entire game is much bigger than Shipwrecked. The insanity of end-game mega bases just increased several fold with The Key to the City and merged crafting. This DLC definitely caters to people who survive for a long time and want to have an end-goal objective with building complex cities. 

Remember when they first announced Shipwrecked years ago, they said it would be a standalone game that would not interact with regular DS or RoG at all? Then we made our voice heard and they allowed us to world hop with items and stuff under one roof. That was probably the best choice they ever made for this game, since this allowed us to have ALL the DLC in one effective world. The game has definitely come a long way since RoG wasn't even made.

the impact yes... the key to the city and multitab feature is the most intelligent feature we got so far.. not to mention housing

I never said impact... I said.. content. Hamlet is awesome.. don't get me wrong (I'm still salty on the color palette changes but that's another topic) I like Hamlet... A LOT.. but I still think it feels somehow empty.. compared to SW...

we need more biomes and also a teleportato option... after you clean the pig ruins what is it there to do in Hamlet? the smashing pots don't renew... we need teleportato in hamlet too

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:56 AM, oCrapaCreeper said:

Then we made our voice heard <snip>

Klei is an awesome game developer because (among other things) they truly listen to their fan base.  Remember when they would *never* create a multi-player DS game?  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ucw said:

Klei is an awesome game developer because (among other things) they truly listen to their fan base.  Remember when they would *never* create a multi-player DS game?  

Hope they will do the same *never* thing with Warbucks

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Enhanced Seasons and Content
We’re going to be adding more to the seasons, adding new perks and challenges alike. Expect to see more content in every season, as well as a new boss creature. 

I was expecting a bit more seasonal content nevertheless the DLC has come a long way :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Reminder to not be disappointed if Hamlet doesn't release tomorrow as planned. A delayed finished project is better than a rushed unfinished one.

Exactly. Remember when Hamlet was supposed to come out last year? We wouldn’t have the content we do now if they went through with that. It’s definitely not a bad thing to delay when it means the final product will be bettering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Reminder to not be disappointed if Hamlet doesn't release tomorrow as planned. A delayed finished project is better than a rushed unfinished one.

Don't Starve Forever

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woodchip said:

HYPE TRAIN!!!

I know this had been asked already but I haven't seen it answered, do saves from the Hamlet beta carry over to the released version?

Theyyy should not. The beta is separate from the actual build. Which means everything will turn back into your old saves you've had before, and the saves you have now will disappear until they open up a beta once again. if it'll ever happen again.

However, i've heard corruptions can happen and your saves won't be there.

Edited by bugsmand

1 minute ago, bugsmand said:

Theyyy should not. The beta is separate from the actual build. Which means everything will turn back into your old saves you've had before, and the saves you have now will disappear until they open up a beta once again. if it'll ever happen again.

I remember reading about how someone, after a previous beta was closed, was able to just find the beta folder and copy their save.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

I remember reading about how someone, after a previous beta was closed, was able to just find the beta folder and copy their save.

Yeah that seems possible, if that save meant a lot to you.

Sidenote: this will also include unlocked characters if you happen to have wheeler unlocked in the beta. 

Edited by bugsmand