items that need rework

hey guys. since the new update is comming out i thought its a good idea to give out opinions about some items that we think they need some reworks.i did some search in forum and i didnt find any similar topic. so if its a duplicate, excuse me :D

these are my personal opinions based on my experience on game.

TMyLRIj.png

Night Light:

of course its the frist one. due to expensive fuel and not giving or removing heat + draining sanity. there is really no reason to make this. any other source of light simply works better than this.

i've read some ideas in wiki about this item which is actually good:

A cool addition to the nightlight could be that when a player is at low sanity, it automatically lights up on it's own. The lower the sanity, the brighter it gets. For DST, it could work on an average of sanity between nearby players. Of course, it could still be fueled with nightmare fuel. It would give the nightlight more use. Kinda like a Maxwell light, but only works when a player is insane.

I think these lights should all be linked so that if you fuel one of them, all of the them will be on.  Maybe that's OP, but i think that would make this item universally accepted, where as right now, they are very questionable.

6A5cAEW.png

Whirly Fan:

it looks like a effective and easy item but since it give you 60 insulation . its better to use "2sEZqcN.png Pretty Parasol" which have 120 insulation and its on hand slot too.

my suggestion is if it change to a hat slot that would be nice.

Yggr5Tp.png

Water Balloon:

looks like the main purpose of this item is to extinguish  fire, but  if you are in summer it really cant help you. stuff keep getting on fire. the second famous use of this item is for dragonfly which everybody use pan flute

my siggestion is if it wet the groud and it grow a "XiQ4NPp.png mini glaciers" after a year that would be better.

GvzYNth.png & 4rLYbiF.png

Fire Dart and Fire Staff::

i personally never use these two. its because the attacked mob will set everything els on fire too. no matter where you are, there is always something flamable. i think if these two just dont set aything else on fire they will be some solid weapon.

YhIrtER.png

One-man Band:

i may misunderstood this item. but couldn't find any use of it. you can simply be friend with mobs by feeding them. so why use this and drain your sanity.

so far all items have red color :D

GlbIWFy.png

Belt of Hunger:

it might be more personalisation. but since this item is on chest slot. i cant ignor my backpack and wear this. so i never use it. i wanted to say it better change to head slot but there is already "Funcap". so i don't know :p

CJXHyUu.png

Telelocator Focus:

the problem with this item is that you have to waste 3 purple gem per use which is extremely expensive and not worth it.

3F2tknw.png

Bee Mine:

I was hesitant mention this one. but since its free to give you opinions :D, i wanted to say in general bosses have AOE damage so no matter ho many bee mine you plant and and lead the boss to them they all die in one sec. and other mobs just not worth tho dead with them by bee mine.

Ps. sry for my bad english

Good list, thank you for this, let me voice my opinions on each of the items:

• Night Light - Agreed, mostly useless. Not sure an eternal light source for the insane is a good idea though since it'd encourage staying insane all the time as it's a growing opinion that insanity isn't hard enough and people should stay insane all the time. I think the opposite is what we're trying to achieve here and maybe- I don't think it'd work though since the best use of this is in ruins where there's constant sanity drain from darkness and monsters- to light it up if everyone near it is 80% or more sane, encouraging Sanity over insanity.
  • Whirly Fan - Idk, I find it fine as it is, of course pretty parasol is the better alternative but it's also much more expensive, when you're overheating in summer you don't have time to look for 6 flowers, this requiring only one and quickly dissolving makes it a great disposable item imo. Making it a hat would be even worse if you ask me since Straw Hat fills that role already and in any case none of these small summer insulation items, not even the summer frest is a sustainable summer equipment anyway, you'll eventually need high tier things like Ice Cube Hat, Floral shirt or Luxury fans if you want to survive summer without Thermal Stones. They feel balanced right now and the only summer item I think that may require a rework would be the Summer Frest, which is too weak and outclassed by floral shirt at the moment in my opinion.
  • Water Balloon - I always liked these but yea, they are not awfully useful, an ice staff works as a better extinguisher and Dragonfly is too weak when overwhelmed to even require it. I'm fine with it personally but your ice idea would be great; maybe a bit OP even, perhaps just 1 use glacier would be fine.
  • Fire Dart & Staff - Agreed, scorch earth is no longer a viable option when you get an intermediate grasp of the game so they'd be great, even a bit OP (compared to how harder it is to make regular blow darts when you consider these make more damage through burning) if their fire didn't spread, but not sure how that could be implemented with the current state of fire mechanics.
  • One Man Band - Agreed, just a cool item and I never get to use it, I always intent to but feeding them excess meat is usually better, with how much sanity it drains. Maybe buffing your followers or even other players would be nice like the bonus aura of generals in many games.
  • Belt of Hunger - Don't get to use it much but I suppose it's a good item; unlike yours, my play style doesn't involve using backpack all the time and I'm usually happy with chest items like Puffy vest for winter, Floral shirt for summer, raincoat for spring and dapper vest for fall so I'll use it next time, totally forgot it existed. If anything I want Breezy Vest and Summer Frest from cosmetic tab to be reworked as they are too weak and even as transitioning items, bunny earmuffs or whirly fan seem to be better; I get that they are a chest version of them so you can stack insulators but with the medium amount of ingredients they require (similar case also applies to Cat Cap which should match winter hat) makes them overlooked and left unused. 
  • Telelocator Focus - it has some uses; I don't think three purple gems is a big requirement, it's a late game item anyway and by then you should have lots of Red and Blue gems to mix colors from hound attacks.
  • Bee Mine - didn't think of it before but used em against depth worms a few days ago and they worked miraculously. My new philosophy is Spike traps against hounds and Bee mines against depths worms. Still it's a tedious item as you have to recollect bees after use. I wish Stingers had a use like building this instead of living bees or at least some other usage than booster shots and sleep darts as you get to hoard a lot of them.

additionally Basic Farms can be somehow improved as they are almost always skipped in favour of advanced farms. Marble should be used for more things like marble walls. Pumpkin Lantern is almost never used so slower or no durability or even recharging like normal lantern would be good since it uses the almost unpublishable source of fireflies. Finally Eyebrella too OP nerf it :p

My suggestion for the Telelocator Focus:

As Purple Gems seem to be more expensive in DST (No Teleportato available, needs to be shared between players, expensive Nightmare Amulet, Moon Rock Idol, Players tend to leave with gems in inventory, etc.), I'd suggest to replace the Purple Gems with something else, such as: Moon Rocks or Cratered Moonrock

The Telelocator appears to communicate with the moon and it doesn't work in caves, Moonlenses can be seen all over the map, so Moon Rocks might locate teleported mobs better than Purple Gems.

Together with the Moonlens it could be used to coordinate the teleport:

• Using the Telelocator Staff on a mob with a Moonlens nearby (~3 Pitchfork titles): If there's a socketed Telelocator with the same Moonlens available, it will take the next available Telelocator with same Moonlens, otherwise it will just take the next available Telelocator or fail (teleport randomly)
  • Using the Telelocator with a Cratered Moonrock (not a Moonlens): It will take the next Telelocator without any Moonlens nearby
  • Using the Telelocator without anything: Takes the next active Telelocator
  • Using the Telelocator during Full Moon: Moon Rocks on Telelocator Focus won't be consumed

The Focus should be visible on map if it's active (similar to a Moonlens) cause other players could've already used the Focus or Splumonkeys (griefers, newbies) might disable the Focus by their own. You'll still need Purple Gems to craft the Telelocator Staff, so Purple Gems will be still 'must have'. Originally Moonlenses are used to set markers on the map but some kind of markers are really expensive and underused so why not give it another ability?

So my opinion on your write up:

• Yeah, night light is useless unless you play Willow (only character that gets positive sanity from it).
  • Whirly fan is one of those last resort kinda items, like the rabbit earmuffs for winter. Was never meant to be useful or even a great option.
  • Water balloon is in need of a re-work... I think it doesn't even wet mobs (except for dragonfly or players)? So it can't even be used to increase the damage of the morning star or electric darts (they do extra damage to wet enemies, making them amazing in heavy rain/spring).
  • Honestly, half the darts are bad and the other half is not that great, they are a bit too expensive to make, and not strong enough for the time invested in making them (why use sleep darts when you can use pan flute? Why use fire darts when you can use fire staff? Only electric and blow darts are worth some effort; and electric darts not too much). Even then, the fire staff could use a slight buff though.
  • One-Man Band could be buffed to increase the damage of nearby players and followers. Would make it an amazing support tool.
  • The belt is useful if you play as Wolfgang to stay mighty for longer in a boss fight; plus funcaps are difficult to get (need to kill a 60K boss), so I think it is fine as is.
  • You are correct in that the telelocator is a bit too expensive for what it does.
  • Yep, bee mine is useless. Could be changed into a trap that requires stingers instead of bees and throws stingers around it though...

You know a couple items I think are "useless" or in need of a re-work? cat cap and breezy vest. Cat cap doesn't provide as much insulation as a winter hat (not even beefalo hat), it provides slightly more sanity, but it is very difficult to get the materials to make it; in a way, it is just there. Breezy vest is a decent "easy to make" item, but feels useless with puffy vest, so my suggestion is simply to remove breezy vest and leave it as a skin for the puffy vest? And have winter koaleffant drop regular koaleffant trunk.

Many bee mines can kill spider queens, tentacles, wargs, deep worms and ewecus, even Goose

But its cost is too high, and a bee mine has nothing to use.

Does anyone use it to kill Minotaur?

The life of most monsters has increased, and the cost of bee mine has increased.

Agreed except for the hunger belt, which as was mentioned before its useful for wolfgang and for any other character when, for example, you are waiting for your other teammates at some place to start a raid boss fight, or are simply busy building stuff in an area.

I use night lights at the ruins where i usually have a ton of nightmare fuel, but agreed that it needs a buff, its usually much better to just cast a dwarf star, specially as yellow gems start getting more common in the lategame.

Belt of Hunger...I don't know. It's hunger slow is 40%.
The Hibearnation Vest's is 25%, but in exchange for more than double the sanity gain (enough to almost negate Darkness), and really good insulation.
As far as chest slot items go...difficult for me to consider the BoH above the Vest, Backpacks, Amulets, or other options. Food is just too easy to stockpile.

The one appealing use case I can think of is Wolfgang vs Toadstool, with its rotting-food-in-inventory effect. But hey, maybe that by itself is enough?

Nightlight: make it closer to what it's emulating, Maxwell's Light.
Have it only light up at night/in caves when people are nearby, be able to stock up a lot of fuel, and not be targeted by Night Hands.
This makes it a high-cost but low-maintenance lighting option, and fits the thematic.
Bonus points if it permanently stays at full light if placed in the Ruins/Atrium and the Ancient Key is active.

10 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I have a use for waterbaloons. Saturate the enemy with them and then electrical blowdart them. Also they don't ONLY have to be used in summer.

Additionally you can soak annoying people with it; instantly you'll give them a bad case of sanity loss, freezing, slippery tools and quickly perishing foods. Arguably the most PvP item in the non-pvp servers

On 14. 2. 2019 at 8:23 PM, darkhero said:

___

CJXHyUu.png

Telelocator Focus:

the problem with this item is that you have to waste 3 purple gem per use which is extremely expensive and not worth it.

I use it to teleport Vargs for gem farming, then later grass gekkos so i can maximize grass production.

Ehh Night Light I'm ok since I main Willow and can gain sanity from it. Not to mention I would have gotten loads of nightmare fuel from Ruins and Farming. I do understand why others don't like it though. I mainly use the Night Light for decorational purposes since it looks cool and dark.

Water balloon is great for killing off evil players since you go insane and freeze when you're very wet. 5 balloons = 1 salty player. Throw one on a group of players around a campfire and watch them freak out as they gain 20 wetness and lose light instantly.

Belt of Hunger is great for Wolfgang when you wanna be mighty for longer. Combined with Funcap and you can stay very long in your Mighty form without refueling.

Telelocator focus I use it for my decorations AKA my zoo full of bosses. By that time its mid-late game I have a HUGE stock of purple gems. Heh...Ruins and hounds.

Bee Mine is...ok i guess. I like seeing mobs attacking each other so I like using them against other mobs. Against bearger though i Don't use it since he will eat the honey :(. Heh heh mob fights are awesome.

6 hours ago, Booklover said:

Ehh Night Light I'm ok since I main Willow and can gain sanity from it.

Even as Willow, it's still bad. The sanity drain still applies, so you're getting less sanity from it then you would from a normal fire that uses more abundant fuels.

(And completely off topic: I find it a little amusing that someone named Booklover mains Willow and not Wickerbottom.)

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Even as Willow, it's still bad. The sanity drain still applies, so you're getting less sanity from it then you would from a normal fire that uses more abundant fuels.

(And completely off topic: I find it a little amusing that someone named Booklover mains Willow and not Wickerbottom.)

Heh, I like reading books IRL. I main Willow since I like her "burn the world" vibe plus every salty player hates her. Still, cool light.

I like Wickerbottom as well but ehh, I prefer Willow and Wendy since everyone underestimates their power. Not to mention they are both cute. Fun fact, people don't think I'm a griefer when I play Willow cuz of my name. LOLZ :D

Archived