Its funny but sad...

I just saw that people have started giving DS bad reviews becasue Warbucks was removed. Now i see nothing wrong with giving a game a bad review if you feel like it deserves it and you played it . . .

It just bugs me that most of the people doing this have VERY little game time and the dlc isn't even finished yet.

I guess its just sad to see such a great game get a bad name. :(

Rant over haha

I think there must be people out there who never learned to take "no" for an answer.  They are throwing temper tantrums.  The good news, I hope, is that Klei has a dedicated DS fan base, or DS wouldn't still be here to begin with.  

Just now, Izuku_Midoriya said:

I think it’s reasonable to be mad about a character you like that’s prominent in promotional material and the trailer being removed.

The reactions are over the top and unreasonable.  Disappointed?  Okay.  But the behavior is egregious (and morbidly entertaining.)  

1 minute ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

I think it’s reasonable to be mad about a character you like that’s prominent in promotional material and the trailer being removed.

It's EA... things change. giving a bad review when you have only ever played for a few hours isn't right...

Also lets not forget they gave away over 12k copies of Hamlet for free... Just say haha

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Yea, it sounds and it is by all means a petty behaviour I agree. But I can somewhat relate to them as I think what Klei did was uncharacteristically hypocritical and wrong, removing one of the biggest reasons one might buy a DLC; new characters. 

I can understand why some people are upset but they did replace him with Wormwood. I just find it funny that everyone hated him and now they all want him back :D   I mean no harm with this post. Just wanted to rant a little :)

4 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

but they did replace him with Wormwood. I just find it funny that everyone hated him and now they all want him back :D 

That's right but why replace something when you can add it? I myself find it funny when people bring Wormwood up in Warbucks mourning treads; it's not 20th century with its limited space gameboy cartriages, they cay add as many characters as they want, how great, beautiful, agreable, smart or talented Wormwood is almost entirely unrelated to the Warbuck's murder, they can, and should have cohabited. 

Also saying "everyone" hated or loved him is a bit misleading imo. The vocal people are almost always those who aren't happy with something; people content with status quo is mostly silent. When they removed him, the silent group became the vocal one and vice versa.

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

That's right but why replace something when you can add it? I myself find it funny when people bring Wormwood up in Warbucks mourning treads; it's not 20th century with its limited space gameboy cartriages, they cay add as many characters as they want, how great, beautiful, agreable, smart or talented Wormwood is almost entirely unrelated to the Warbuck's murder, they can, and should have cohabited. 

Also saying "everyone" hated or loved him is a bit misleading imo. The vocal people are almost always those who aren't happy with something; people content with status quo is mostly silent. When they removed him, the silent group became the vocal one and vice versa.

But it really does feel like they didn't like the way he turned out. I never really cared for him. so i really don't mind if he is gone forever or comes back. I just feel like people are reaching.

People talking about Worm boy makes sense considering he was added in the same update War was removed.  I really think he was just a wilson reskin so its not that big of a deal.

I would understand if you removed a older character like Wig.

People will always disagree and i thank you are being chill and giving great points :)

yeah come on guys, can't you see the people, who found him offensive are wrong so the correct answer is to review bomb a game strawman more things. an take kiel reasoning as a reaction to supposed racist subtext. instead of what they said.

Totally GOT'EM

i find it kinda funny, it reminds me of the latern glitch got fixed an people said it was a feature of high tier play an compared it to rocket jumping in quake.

9 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

i find it kinda funny, it reminds me of the latern glitch got fixed an people said it was a feature of high tier play an compared it to rocket jumping in quake.

Yeah, and then I put up a mod to get it back into the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=875163588

Current stats after all this time:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9fd49aafb80b309a4b9bddd7b7b8157c.png

I'd say that it's safe to say that the people who truly wanted it were a loud vocal minority.

I have a feeling that this whole thing will blow over once people realize that what happened isn't the deal they're making it out to be.

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

I have a feeling that this whole thing will blow over once people realize that what happened isn't the deal they're making it out to be.

it probably will, what i don't understand is why don't people act with decorum. its always loud in destructive, you scare new players away by giving hyperbolic statements, shooting the fan-base in the foot. an then for those who actually want to know whats happening, you look more like a crazy person. so you shoot your own cause in the foot.

Things are definitely being blown out of proportion. Let's just lay down some basic facts:

• No one complained directly to Klei about Warbucks not being culturally appropriate, racist, or whatever. This wasn't caused by SJW's.
  • There was only one thread pointing out Warbucks' British Imperialism traits. It wasn't even a heated debate.
  • Warbucks' strings had already been changed long before he was removed to address that one thread.
  • Warbucks was left in the game so people could still play him if they desired and was not swept under a rug to hide him from the triggered people that don't actually exist

The fact that matters is Warbucks just wasn't interesting to play as from a game perspective and resources were better spent making something more unique and useful for not only Hamlet but Don't Starve as a whole, across all DLC. Sure, they could have kept him in and re-worked him, but the end result would most likely still be something underwhelming just like most of the Shipwrecked characters. You can only do so much with that character concept.

Honestly the whole reaction to this is just childish in my opinion. People are even threatening to boycott Klei's games. Whether or not you agree with the decision to remove him is one thing, but their reasons were justified with good merit to make the game better and not try to sweep something under a rug. Just think about it. If the issue was his backstory and what he could represent, they would have just slapped his stats on a new character completely on a new slate. But they changed everything, including gameplay. That would seem to indicate the character as a whole just wasn't working the way they wanted.

People have a right to their opinions, and yeah, if I had my favorite character or just one I liked suddenly removed I'd be upset too, but not so far as to slander the game and boycott for trival reasons.

4 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

People have a right to their opinions, and yeah, if I had my favorite character or just one I liked suddenly removed I'd be upset too, but not so far as to slander the game and boycott for trival reasons.

I mean so far there "wrath" have just left a few negative reviews on the game. Not even enough to change the recent review of the DLC page or normal DS page from "Overwhelming Positive" so I think Jimmyjam calling it review bombing is a bit misleading. but yeah still dumb

4 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Also lets not forget they gave away over 12k copies of Hamlet for free... Just say haha

I can understand why some people are upset but they did replace him with Wormwood. I just find it funny that everyone hated him and now they all want him back :D   I mean no harm with this post. Just wanted to rant a little :)

This x100000

Everytime I read something about Warbucks was negative or neutral.Of course there where positive opinions, but most of them always question his gameplay design.  I don't get why he's so beloved know. This remind me a lot of kids behavior: if they have a ball, they will ignore it, but once you try to take it away, she/he will fight for it and even cry because you want to take it. 

You can always complain about something, there's nothing wrong with it, you are customers and one of the worst thing is happening right now with videogames industry is that everybody is buying DLC without asking for quality. BUT, you have to be respectful and objective.

If we are objective, we'll get the best game possible instead of a cluster of fan demands. I think Klei is one of the last game developers that worries about quality, just because of that I think we have to be respectful with our critics. 

"I think people with different opinions are just crybabies"

"I think people that paid for this game are not entitled to review a product they paid for"

I expect if KLEI reversed their decision and left the character in it wouldn't hurt a thing except maybe a couple of their employees' egos, and I bet most if not all of "those" negative reviews would disappear entirely since most places that allow reviews allow you to edit or remove them at a later time.

I think this forum is fairly toxic as well, but not because of people complaining about a character being removed, I think it's more the people that think they're the only ones with a valid opinion and don't think those with differing opinions should be able to have a say in matters..  Am I wrong?  Is the entitlement of people demanding Warbucks back too much but the entitlement of not thinking people are allowed to have their own opinions with being insulted just right?

You decide.

29 minutes ago, dissentist said:

"I think people with different opinions are just crybabies"

"I think people that paid for this game are not entitled to review a product they paid for"

I expect if KLEI reversed their decision and left the character in it wouldn't hurt a thing except maybe a couple of their employees' egos, and I bet most if not all of "those" negative reviews would disappear entirely since most places that allow reviews allow you to edit or remove them at a later time.

I think this forum is fairly toxic as well, but not because of people complaining about a character being removed, I think it's more the people that think they're the only ones with a valid opinion and don't think those with differing opinions should be able to have a say in matters..  Am I wrong?  Is the entitlement of people demanding Warbucks back too much but the entitlement of not thinking people are allowed to have their own opinions with being insulted just right?

You decide.

no, both people's opinions are vaild, thats not really whats happening, the people who wanted warbucks to be left in game, aren't being attacked because of their opinions its more so the reaction of "they removed a character so lets leave bad reviews. and its not even that. its people making threads about the other characters an saying their offended.about X an how childish it makes them seem. also this argument only really exists if you think Kiel removed warbuck's over the percived racist implications of him or his backstory. which people who peddled that "warbucks is racist" got mostly from scrapped voicelines you weren't really meant to see in the first place as far as my understanding goes.

its all really just drama an I don't think anyone besides kiel in these scuffles is getting "hurt" an i don't even think that

So in conclusion, its just drama that people are talking about an its kinda dumb

59 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

also this argument only really exists if you think Kiel removed warbuck's over the percived racist implications of him or his backstory

JoeW literally said yesterday that he was "culturally problematic" ie one of the KLEI employees directly said that was part of the decision, but you know, whatever helps you justify these guys' responses here..  People will only see what they want to see.

This entire thing is just pathetic really.

Warbucks was a boring character. They removed him cuz he was boring and they knew they couldn't do anything with him.

Like people right now are thinking they're gaming geniuses and try to give Klei example of Warbucks rework. And they "create" the same boring character, except that his boring perks now work in Rog and Sw. 

Speaking of Sw. People are trying to use Walani as an argument that Klei whatever. Do I need to remind you that Sw was worked on by 2 teams? Klei and Capy. But then Capy left. So Klei was left all alone to finish Sw. And we don't know how their team looked like 3 years ago. Klei has no reason right now to touch Sw and as they said there isn't an active team working on it. 

Back to Hamlet.

They left all his code in the game so all you "Warbucks lovers" can still play him if yall want to. Come on play that boring character while we appreciate all the hard work Klei has put into Wormwood and Hamlet in general.

Also...

The most pathetic thing is that people are suprised that things change in EA. And argument "He was in trailer and poster" is the most dumb of all. In the announcement trailer rainforest trees looked different. Snaptooths had different sounds. In gameplay trailer Cork trees were red. And Klei could just get rid of that poster with Warbucks and advertise with the one with Wilba and Wormwood. Here- no longer false advertisement.

6 minutes ago, dissentist said:

JoeW literally said yesterday that he was "culturally problematic" ie one of the KLEI employees directly said that was part of the decision, but you know, whatever helps you justify these guys' responses here..  People will only see what they want to see.

yep an i'll be sipping tea as you openly insult people

if it makes you feel better i made that post before reading the mammoth that is now the game update thread so i've read most of JoeW responses
anyway its just something you gotta deal with, trying to force someone can only cause more harm

also it seemed like a sidenote that they couldn't bring warbucks back from the baggage he carries. so not the main reason.

6 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

yep an i'll be sipping tea as you openly insult people

Yeah, I'm openly insulting people, I'm the one up there calling the negative opinion havers crybabies..

I wasn't trying to feel or make you feel anything, again this is all just opinions, people here are very sensitive though it seems.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all opinions are created equal, except those that disagree with the hivemind, those opinions are obviously toxic and unwelcome." is this place in a nutshell this weekend.

4 minutes ago, dissentist said:

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all opinions are created equal, except those that disagree with the hivemind, those opinions are obviously toxic and unwelcome." is this place in a nutshell this weekend.

That's correct except that the hivemind is "Klei did bad. We want Warbucks. Klei surrended to SJW" while we and JoeW are trying to explain to yall that they had good reasons and the right to do that.

The worst thing that Klei could do right now is give up to the "warbucks lovers" and add him back. Klei you need to sometimes show your fanbase that you're the developer and your word is final.

Archived