A full explanation about Wigfrid's design

Wigfrid_DST.thumb.png.6cd11e2c606dbbb9fcae6da4fd759566.png

Wigfrid is based on the Nordic/German legend of Sigurd/Siegfried (“Sigrid” in danish & norwegian, “Sigfrid” in swedish & spanish): warrior who gains more strength from dead enemies´s essence (That´s why Wigfrid gets Health and Sanity by killing others).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd

In the first adventure, he managed to kill the dragon Fafnir (thanks to strategy and father´s old magic sword) and end up making contact with the dragon's blood.

Due this event, his skin became hard as the dragon´s one, making him “invulnerable” basically. Yet, Sigurd had a weak point: his back still having a place not touched by Fafnir´s blood. The cuase of his death: fatally wounded in that zone by a battle spear (yes, Battle Spear).

Spoiler

siegfried-nature.thumb.jpg.de151f8396e6bfa234deee74a65a46ed.jpg

The young Siegfried/Sigurd in the woods.

siegfried-sword.thumb.jpg.f46d622f5df62c6cb3f18c658a1551a2.jpg

Siegfried/Sigurd gets the old magic sword.

5c5f9272573a9_SiegfriedandFafnir.thumb.jpg.d319bc10edd26de49c392434f3fb2944.jpg

The fight of Siegfried/Sigurd & Fafnir.

5c5f927ea35af_SiegfriedkillsFafnir.thumb.jpg.a9082d7ab6152461597a33a6bf61a113.jpg

Fafnir is killed finally by Siegfried/Sigurd. He gains powers by this.

5c5f946ab8f8f_Siegfriedarmor.jpg.cc447304a304cff2c415f5bfab8462ac.jpg

Representation of the adult Siegfried/Sigurd and his special armor. (Looks familiar, right?)

5c5f95da33678_SiegfriedDeath.jpg.763354597674424116a5867209a792c3.jpg

The death of Siegfried/Sigurd.

Theres diverse versions about the life of Sigurd/Siegfried, but all share common points (and final death):

Sigurd grew up in the forest, having a appreciation for the nature.

-“I feel at höme in the wööds.” (Wigfrid, when examines Evergreen)

-“A wönder öf the woods.” (Wigfrid, when examines Glommer's Flower)

Fafnir's blood not only affected Sigurd´s skin, the contact with the lips & eyes made him able to comprehend some sensations of the animals (especially birds) and feel empathy about them:

-“Raven friend.” (Wigfrid, when examines Crow)

-“This bird knöws aböut the cold” (Wigfrid, when examines Snowbird)

Sigurd used some pieces of Fafnir to make his helmet and armor (for have extra protection by dragon´s magic properties):

“The unicorn is what protects you” (Battle Helm´s description)

-“The pöwer öf the unicörn is great.” (Wigfrid, when examines Battle Helm)

¿Why Wigfrid have a Unicorn exactly? In some legends, the unicorns acted as enemies of dragons, being the opposite.

Spoiler

5c5f991d36ba4_unicornanddragon.png.5480069ebad799a9b428d9bf10b41828.png

Sigfrid is male and use dragon´s powers & Wigfrid is female and use unicorn´s powers.

So, ¿Her old-self (Before wigfrid) was vanished completely by her new-self (After wigfrid)? No, that´s still inside (Wigfrid recognizes "modern things" yet) and guides her current personality:

-“It's a stuffed bear.” (Wigfrid, when examines Bernie)

-“Cööking utensils dö nöt interest me.” (Wigfrid, when examines Beaten Beater)

-“Tea is a luxury that warriörs cannöt afförd.” (Wigfrid, when examines Leaky Teacup)

“The valor and confidence of a valkyrie didn't always come naturally to Wigfrid. She cultivated her strength and persona over many years through sheer force of will.” (Vignette´s description)

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

In my copy of Bernard Evslin's Fafnir, Fafnir is a ogre.

Depending of the versions, Fafnir was a dwarf or ogre in the past. Some time later, he became a dragon due to a curse (made by a witch or his own brother) or magic powers. However, the stories share common points as I said. 

In this case: Fafnir being a dragon as final form and then being killed by Sigurd/Siegfried.

My only understanding of wigfrid is she like to eat the metbal.

(In all seriousness though, after reading this post though it did make me a bit more curious as to what wigfrid's backstory in DS lore might be. Like if sigurd's weak point was his back, what would wigfrid's be? The things I wonder.)

EDIT: (I guess wigfrid is the one with the spear in this case, so I guess I'm spouting nonsense, I need to understand mythology and stuff like that more.)

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Technically she is a performance artist who evidently got stuck in her role.

Yes, a performance artist making the role of a legendary hero.

The story of Siegfried/Sigurd was a very popular act for opera and theaters.

Example: classic famous actor (Lauritz melchoir, Jean de Reske & Heinrich Knote) as Siegfried/Sigurd.

Spoiler

5c6016d798505_Lauritzmelchiorassiegfried.jpg.13473dc57c22e6c6a49642304c806b45.jpg

Jean_de_Reszke_as_Siegfried.thumb.jpg.83ee02aac4472a1993a36bab764c7120.jpg

Heinrich_Knote_as_Siegfried_-.thumb.jpg.5618212b624983f3f1a4bf0621a5d046.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

TBH, I've always assumed the role she got stuck in is Brünnhilde, a shield maiden and major character in Wagner's Ring Cycle:

CJpuPFgVAAES2LF.jpg.bd8a6c5598cd128c83a8bf71d197f2f4.jpg

Brünnhilde kills Siegfried.

I think it's because Brünnhilde is often depicted with reddish hair

424px-Rhinegold_and_the_Valkyries_p_102.thumb.jpg.8eb83b315dd790ed4fec8af88c8ffe33.jpg 

Yes, Wigfrid makes a small reference to Brünnhilde too, but the character is mainly based on Siegfried.

About the unicorn: This mythical creature was mentioned several times in the Old Testament - but its origin is based on a translation error. What they really meant was the rhinoceros (most likely) an/or aurochs. The unicorn isn't a typical element in the norse mythology. Same for the winged helmet. I believe Klei was inspired by this (maybe?) :):

giphy.gif

Could this mean that the "normal" Wigfrid was just a unicorn fan?

Actually, Wgfrid home was kinda frigid.

12 minutes ago, axxel said:

About the unicorn: This mythical creature was mentioned several times in the Old Testament - but its origin is based on a translation error. What they really meant was the rhinoceros (most likely) an/or aurochs. The unicorn isn't a typical element in the norse mythology. Same for the winged helmet. I believe Klei was inspired by this (maybe?) :):

giphy.gif

Could this mean that the "normal" Wigfrid was just a unicorn fan?

Yep, that Bugs Bunny outfit is based on the Brünnhilde in the Wagner opera. Whenever you see those old Warner Bros. cartoons with the braids and the winged helmet, that's the role they're making fun of, and presumably the role Wigfrid was playing when she got stuck too deep in her part. She thinks she's an actual Valkyrie, and they are typically depicted wearing winged helmets. It's her stage costume, but it actually works!

It looks rather Wigfrid was actually an actor who had to replay the same role until she went insane...

Imagine cooking for a giant wormhole forever, it would make you insane pretty quickly not me tho.

also all characters that suffered from permanent mental damage have logicall lower sanity...

56 minutes ago, axxel said:

About the unicorn: This mythical creature was mentioned several times in the Old Testament - but its origin is based on a translation error. What they really meant was the rhinoceros (most likely) an/or aurochs. The unicorn isn't a typical element in the norse mythology. 

Actually, the term "Unicorn" was used commonly by many old cultures (even the greeks), to call any kind of animal (not only horses) with magic horns. Also, the Old Testament used the term "Dragon" too, for creatures who uses fire attacks.

Same for the winged helmet.

The winged part is a funny reference to the "modern vision of nordic warriors". Even Wigfrid make a quote about this:

-"Vikings dö nöt wear hörns." (Bee Queen Crown)

Yes, it´s her old-self part talking:

-"The chilling breeze reminds me öf my frigid höme" (Whirly Fan)

14 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

My only understanding of wigfrid is she like to eat the metbal.

After the battle, Siegfried/Sigurd ate the flesh of Fafnir. He usually made the same thing again, with most of his fallen enemies. 

That´s why Wigfrid have "Only eats meat" perk.

42 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

After the battle, Siegfried/Sigurd ate the flesh of Fafnir. He usually made the same thing again, with most of his fallen enemies. 

That´s why Wigfrid have "Only eats meat" perk.

I wasn't expecting to get quoted, I was just spouting out memes. Sorry. >.<

The diverse skins of Wigfrid share a meaning. I put some examples: 

Verdant_Wigfrid.thumb.png.d9851f6b4bbc52ff5d70d1e4e0d9765b.png

Verdant Wigfrid is based on the young Sigurd/Siegfried (pre-dragon).

GoH_Wigfrid.thumb.png.3d19438cba6b19a85b3ed874890beab4.png

Guest of Honor Wigfrid is based on Brünnhilde.

Roseate_Wig.thumb.png.556ded628051effd205e7645efa00375.png

Roseate Wigfrid is based on Romeo (from Romeo & Juliet novel, by William Shakespeare)

Victoria_Wigfrid.thumb.png.7e9228cfe83b063fc05a9bdb7b5c11e5.png

Victorian Wigfrid is based on Hamlet (from Hamlet novel, by William Shakespeare)

(More precisely, the Hamlet version of the actress Sarah Bernhardt.)

Spoiler

5c631e0607612_SarahBernhardt_Hamlet1899.jpg.3f3722e525bea01f6d34ee195aea3794.jpg

Magmatic_Wigfrid.thumb.png.26ced06302d0d8cf518493d881cfffe7.png

Magmatic Wigfrid is based on Freyr, norse god of nature, prosperity, fertility, sunshine and weather. He´s the twin brother of the goddess Freyja.

(Also, a small reference to Wonder Woman.)

Spoiler

Freyr_end.jpg.13f12155cbd37f04e63448f97828e0ce.jpg

So, ¿What meaning they share? Tragedy: 

Sigurd is killed, Brünnhilde commits suicide, Romeo commits suicide, Hamlet is killed by a poisoned sword & Freyr is killed by his enemy Surtr during The Ragnarök.

5 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Neither Romeo & Juliet nor Hamlet is a novel. They are plays. Shakespeare was a dramatist who wrote for the stage, and novels didn'treally exist when he was writing .

True, but they were turned in "writed novels" to keep records of his job today and many people will know about it thanks to that.

2 hours ago, Tapirus said:

True, but they were turned in "writed novels" to keep records of his job today and many people will know about it thanks to that.

I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say, but his original works are far more famous in their own right than anything based on them. If what you’re trying to say is that they exist in written form, well they always did, from the moment he wrote them! Just because he wrote them to be performed doesn’t mean he didn’t write them down on paper. 

I think you might be under the impression that any printed book is a “novel.” That’s not the case. A novel is a specific type of book. A play, while fictional like a novel, is a different thing. Plays have been around since Ancient Greece. People only started writing novels in the 18th century. 

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to say, but his original works are far more famous in their own right than anything based on them. If what you’re trying to say is that they exist in written form, well they always did, from the moment he wrote them! Just because he wrote them to be performed doesn’t mean he didn’t write them down on paper. 

I think you might be under the impression that any printed book is a “novel.” That’s not the case. A novel is a specific type of book. A play, while fictional like a novel, is a different thing. Plays have been around since Ancient Greece. People only started writing novels in the 18th century. 

Well, I'll put in a more easy mode:

Thanks to the writing, the human has found another way to preserve his words though the time. By this, we can learn or know about diverse things when there's no other way to learn about stuff, like the past or a very old spoken story.

Yes, even the Ancient Greece had plays, but we know about it thanks to writed records than still here today. 

Example: We know about the existence of philosoper Socrates thanks to the writing of his disciple Plato.

¿How you learned about the existence of Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet? ¿From somebody who told you about that or From a writing?

31 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Are they implying Wigfrid committed suicide before entering the Constant?:wilson_shocked:

No exactly, they're are talking about a trait of the character: Tragedy.

Willow is mostly related to the Impulse Control Disorder (Pyromania), Wendy is mostly related to the Losing, etc.

12 hours ago, Tapirus said:

Well, I'll put in a more easy mode:

Thanks to the writing, the human has found another way to preserve his words though the time. By this, we can learn or know about diverse things when there's no other way to learn about stuff, like the past or a very old spoken story.

Yes, even the Ancient Greece had plays, but we know about it thanks to writed records than still here today. 

Example: We know about the existence of philosoper Socrates thanks to the writing of his disciple Plato.

¿How you learned about the existence of Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet? ¿From somebody who told you about that or From a writing?

Your translation software leaves much to be desired. Just because a play is written down, doesn’t make it a novel. All plays are written down, and they are still plays. Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet are not novels.

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

Your translation software leaves much to be desired. Just because a play is written down, doesn’t make it a novel. All plays are written down, and they are still plays. Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet are not novels.

Looks like your level of understanding have issues.

Well, let's see:

-I never said exactly Shakespeare wrote novels
-I never said plays are not plays anymore since they were wrote as "novel"
-I said that the wroted versions helps people to learn about stuff.

Again: ¿How you learned about the existence of Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet? ¿From somebody who told you about that or From a wroted source?

Ah, yes, I noticed the grammatical errors, but you know, everyone makes that mistake sometimes (and more if you have more things to do than just plays games on the PC, which happens with everybody).

Archived