A full explanation about Wigfrid's design

Can’t you just admit you made a mistake? You described both plays as “novels” when they are not novels. The fact that they were written down is irrelevant. Writing a play down or publishing it in a book does not make it a novel. I’m stepping out of this exchange now because I’m sure no one else in the forum cares about this, but jeez.

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Can’t you just admit you made a mistake? You described both plays as “novels” when they are not novels. The fact that they were written down is irrelevant. Writing a play down or publishing it in a book does not make it a novel. I’m stepping out of this exchange now because I’m sure no one else in the forum cares about this, but jeez.

Uh...

1 hour ago, Tapirus said:

Ah, yes, I noticed the grammatical errors, but you know, everyone makes that mistake sometimes (and more if you have more things to do than just plays games on the PC, which happens with everybody).

Well, basically, you started the whole thing just because I put the word Novel instead on Play, in a old post.

Interesting background, thank you for this info. I for one always regarded Wigfrid as a wanna-be valkyrie (well, actor playing with... magic determination - emphasis on magic, heh) and that was it.

Regarding the novel-diatribe: "William Shakespeare was an English poet, playwright and actor" so indeed he wrote plays not novels; but I think the confusion stems from the Italian Renaissance-era "novella" (anglicized through the German "novelle") - aka "written text longer than a short story but shorter than a novel, somewhere between 17.5k and 40k words" - this confusion is exacerbated even more in Latin-based languages (like Ro in my case) where these notions have other adaptations in meaning to make the morphological differentiation. Yet, indeed, technically Shakespeare's writings are plays.

Also I'm kinda surprised that (as far as I can tell, having read/skimmed the entire thread so far) nobody has mentioned this yet, but:  "Raven friend" = Odin hanging out with ravens.  :)  Yay more Norse mythology!

Wigfrid is TOTALLY (meant to be) a Valkyrie, although the Sigurd thing works as well...as for the performance artist thing, my personal half-joking headcanon has always been that she's actually like, some random housewife from New Jersey* who just SNAPPED one day and imagined herself as a great, brave, significant warrior to _escape_...and then never wanted to come back.  Maybe she played the character in a local play once and just liked the idea so much...but since she's happy (and actually competent as a warrior) this way, why not?

...Notorious

*I don't know why New Jersey, specifically.  It's just the random place that popped into my head.  : P

2 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Interesting background, thank you for this info. I for one always regarded Wigfrid as a wanna-be valkyrie (well, actor playing with... magic determination - emphasis on magic, heh) and that was it.

Regarding the novel-diatribe: "William Shakespeare was an English poet, playwright and actor" so indeed he wrote plays not novels; but I think the confusion stems from the Italian Renaissance-era "novella" (anglicized through the German "novelle") - aka "written text longer than a short story but shorter than a novel, somewhere between 17.5k and 40k words" - this confusion is exacerbated even more in Latin-based languages (like Ro in my case) where these notions have other adaptations in meaning to make the morphological differentiation. Yet, indeed, technically Shakespeare's writings are plays.

They aren’t just “technically” plays. They’re plays. I can’t believe I’m even having this discussion. Just because you can read a printed version of a play does not make it in any way shape or form a novel. 

47 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

They aren’t just “technically” plays. They’re plays. I can’t believe I’m even having this discussion. Just because you can read a printed version of a play does not make it in any way shape or form a novel. 

Have I written anywhere in my post "printed version of a play = novel"? I've just given my take on the possible confusion of "printed version of a play = novel". Chillax, this isn't - technically - a language classroom, just a game forum full of people from all backgrounds and cultures (and memes.. mostly memes), mistakes are bound to happen left and right :D

PS:

shakespeare_meme

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Have I written anywhere in my post "printed version of a play = novel"? I've just given my take on the possible confusion of "printed version of a play = novel". Chillax, this isn't - technically - a language classroom, just a game forum full of people from all backgrounds and cultures (and memes.. mostly memes), mistakes are bound to happen left and right :D

No, you didn’t say that and I didn’t mean to imply that you did. That was the other guy. You’re right. It was just one of those things, like if someone had said “Webber is a snake boy” and you only want to briefly point out that he is in fact a spider boy but they keep arguing about it and saying stuff like “he has snakes coming out of his head, duh” and you think “What is happening to basic reality here?” Until finally you find you’ve fallen down a rabbit hole. In other words, another day on the Internet.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, Tapirus said:

The winged part is a funny reference to the "modern vision of nordic warriors". Even Wigfrid make a quote about this:

-"Vikings dö nöt wear hörns." (Bee Queen Crown)

I like this video from Vox that's specifically about why we think Vikings wore helmets. It focuses on the Wagner opera and the guy who originally designed the costumes for it, Carl Emil Doepler.

Wigfrid seems to be a combination of the Valkyrie costume (winged helmet, spear, shield) and the male warrior costume (like Siegfried).

Spoiler

Here are some of Carl Emil Doepler's illustrations.

brun.thumb.jpg.332adf441e779579d42e8d3207e5b716.jpg

Sig.thumb.jpg.3d06d9479f0adf6c9e68e9f4d3c2e3f5.jpg

The RoG DLC on Steam has this description of Wigfrid:

Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie...

And a couple of her quotes makes it clear that she is fully aware that she is still acting.

• Top Hat- "It döesn't match my cöstume."
  • Pirate Hat- "This hat cönfuses my character...I mean, my söul."
  • Florid Postern- "It makes me löng för the stage!"
  • Rawling- "Finally! Sömeöne tö rehearse with."

My theory as to why she refuses to break character is that she simply decided that being Wigfrid makes surviving The Constant much easier than being whoever she was originally. She did all that stage combat training, might as well put it to use. They say that in order to be more confident, you should try acting that way, it's like a placebo effect. So as long as she's playing Wigfrid, she can make it.

The real world explanation is that DS/T is a silly world, and Wigfrid is a comedic character making fun of method acting. :p 

However, there is one quote that makes me think Wigfrid could be under the impression that she is still in a play. For a Bat Cave from DST Wigfrid says: "They're hiding under the stage." Now this is just one quote, but it makes me wonder. Wouldn't it be funny if Wigfrid is going along with all of this, believing that the world is literally a stage, that the survivors are just other characters, and that this is some kind of extreme improvisation exercise?

26 minutes ago, ModsterMash said:

The real world explanation is that DS/T is a silly world, and Wigfrid is a comedic character making fun of method acting. :p 

Exactly, that´s the essence of Don´t Starve & Don´t Starve Togheter: A place where you can find terrifying and hilarious stuff always reunited in amazing combinations. 

This is really cool, I knew about the Valkyrie thing but not about Sigrid being a likely inspiration. Here I thought her Victorian skin was a one note messing with gender roles thing, when in actuality it's inherent with her character, and I love it.

Even in her newest skin, the Ultimate Performer, she is referencing the wrestler Ultimate Warrior as well as the main character from Million Dollar Baby.

Now I've found more appreciation for Wigfrid! Yay!

On 16/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, Bluegeist said:

This is really cool, I knew about the Valkyrie thing but not about Sigrid being a likely inspiration. Here I thought her Victorian skin was a one note messing with gender roles thing, when in actuality it's inherent with her character, and I love it.

Even in her newest skin, the Ultimate Performer, she is referencing the wrestler Ultimate Warrior as well as the main character from Million Dollar Baby.

Now I've found more appreciation for Wigfrid! Yay!

Thank you very much, it took me a while write and put the material in order. Glad to know you and the rest enjoyed this.

Archived